Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better!
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2016 / 17

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
That's what we like to hear! I was getting worried that it seems to be quite a dry season, for Niseko in particular, I can see Kiroro has been getting consistent goods, hope this pattern of snow continues for the next month!
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a question please for anyone familiar with Haneda airport - I am taking my snowboard bag with me and have 1hr 55mins between flight landing and the flight to Sapporo in the domestic terminal, I am just wondering firstly how quickly the baggage is generally dealt with there (having experienced some long delays at places like Geneva) and is oversized luggage brought in on the belts like at Gatwick or through another area?

Secondly the transfer to the domestic terminal, do the buses have luggage areas like a coach that would fit a snowboard bag or should I be thinking of another way to transfer between terminals due to the size of my bag?

This all might seem simple stuff but I worry I will encounter problems after travelling almost 24 hours (I leave home 7amish Friday and land Haneda 1pm Saturday!) and would like to be as prepared as possible as may not be thinking clearly.
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Minion1980, You seem to have a short memory, check this thread from September where you asked basically the same questions Toofy Grin

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2932438&highlight=transfer#2932438
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh I may have answered my own question - it would appear from this page I check in my bag in the same terminal before the bus, that is handy!

http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/asw_common/departure/airport/map.html?c=hnd#anchor003

If anyone who has done this could confirm I'd be grateful, thanks.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Minion1980, The oversized bags on my flight were delivered to the same arrivals hall, but in an area to the side. No problems transferring with my 2m bag.
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@PowderAdict, Awesome thanks, that's good to know, nothing worse than not knowing where your bag is going to be, happened at the main Geneva terminal once, it was chaos and there were lots of people who didn't know where we were picking up our ski bags from, I imagine they should hopefully be a bit more organised in Japan Smile
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
element wrote:
Today was unreal. It's all true! Face shots all morning. Was pretty tracked out in the obvious places by about 11am, but was still a lot of fun. Steady light-moderate snow at the minute.


+1 Smile

Top lifts on windhold at Kiroro today (Thursday 12th), but lower mountain was giving over the head shots for fun.

Great first day back on Fantasy Island 👍
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mike Pow, Awesome!
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Smile

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPKGDb7AbIo/?taken-by=mikethesnow


Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 14-01-17 11:08; edited 2 times in total
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
See you next week maybe!
latest report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mike Pow, again, Awesome!

Did you have to duck ropes or exit gates to access that?

I've been considering my plans and am now hoping to split my time fairly equally between Niseko/Rusutsu and Kiroro over the 9 days I have available for boarding.
snow report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
New toys at work - Drove both of them to their current location

snow report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Minion1980, we missed our connection to sapporo as london-tokyo flight was delayed by half an hour. They just stuck us on the next flight half an hour later. Our bags didnt make that flight, but they came on the next flight not long after. Still made our original bus transfer and no extra charges. Dont worry!
Hirafu today was a bit mental. The first bus to hanazono drove past us full so we took the ace quad. There was a massive queue 15mins before it opened and it was tracked to bits instantly. Gonna look at a guided backcountry day to make the most of this recent snowfall.
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@element, sorry to hear that, half an hour and you missed the connection, worrying I have a stop in Frankfurt too, still it sound slike it was resolved with ease. Bag not arriving with your plane is worrying, happened to me when I went to Sauze via Turin and my bag was dumped on the street outside my hotel at some point during the evening! Glad you got there ok.

How long are you out for, are you planning to take day trips to near by resorts? Also these queues, once dispersed did the mountain feel busy? Like French resort busy?
snow report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PowderAdict wrote:
@Minion1980, You seem to have a short memory, check this thread from September where you asked basically the same questions Toofy Grin

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2932438&highlight=transfer#2932438


Sorry! I do have a very short memory, I had a very miss spent youth, apologies!
ski holidays     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Minion1980, As far as I am aware that is what your youth is for wink
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

http://youtube.com/v/_4IpJfrKAY0

nice day for intro to touring
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Minion1980 wrote:
@Mike Pow, again, Awesome!

Did you have to duck ropes or exit gates to access that?

I've been considering my plans and am now hoping to split my time fairly equally between Niseko/Rusutsu and Kiroro over the 9 days I have available for boarding.


Cheers.

I don't duck ropes.

No, all within resort off-piste terrain Smile


Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 13-01-17 9:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dabber wrote:


nice day for intro to touring


Well played 👍
latest report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike Pow wrote:
Minion1980 wrote:
@Mike Pow, again, Awesome!

Did you have to duck ropes or exit gates to access that?

I've been considering my plans and am now hoping to split my time fairly equally between Niseko/Rusutsu and Kiroro over the 9 days I have available for boarding.


Cheers.

I don't duck ropes.

No, all within resort off-piste terrain Smile


Hi Mike

Have skied Kiroro once on our last visit. Can you advise on the ease to access the off piste here? It's was white out last time so stuck to the piste albeit it was near thigh deep so no need to head off piste Toofy Grin

Have read that there is quite a lot of terrain traps ect.

Would appreciate any advice as judging by the snow forecast for Niseko and the crowds we will more than likely drive upto Kiroro:sH:

Cheers
latest report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Over a meter of fresh in the last 24hrs. But piste only. Naeba has silly/strict boundary rules , human powered is no go and mechanized toys burried
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
harri20000 wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Minion1980 wrote:
@Mike Pow, again, Awesome!

Did you have to duck ropes or exit gates to access that?

I've been considering my plans and am now hoping to split my time fairly equally between Niseko/Rusutsu and Kiroro over the 9 days I have available for boarding.


Cheers.

I don't duck ropes.

No, all within resort off-piste terrain Smile


Hi Mike

Have skied Kiroro once on our last visit. Can you advise on the ease to access the off piste here? It's was white out last time so stuck to the piste albeit it was near thigh deep so no need to head off piste Toofy Grin

Have read that there is quite a lot of terrain traps ect.

Would appreciate any advice as judging by the snow forecast for Niseko and the crowds we will more than likely drive upto Kiroro:sH:

Cheers


There are 5 unpisted named runs - 2 off the Center Express; 2 off the Asari No. 2 Express; 1 off Nagamine No.2 Express

Then there's the ungroomed PowderZone which can be accessed from the top of the Gondola and the Centre Express.

Off -piste terrain directly next to the pistes is marked 'Ski Area Boundary' and you can just head in.

The main valley between the top of the gondola and the Nagamine chairs is accessed via 'EXITS'.

To go through these 'EXITS' you have to fill out a form in the Mountain Club on the second floor of the Mountain Center.

If it's your first time to ski the terrain beyond the 'EXITS', then I'd recommend getting a guide to show you the ins and the outs.

Guides available from Mountain Club.

I've been skiing powder for the past three days and haven't needed to access the terrain beyond the 'EXITS' Smile
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Pow wrote:
I've been skiing powder for the past three days and haven't needed to access the terrain beyond the 'EXITS' Smile


Amazing! Enjoy Smile
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It looks like Honshu is being absolutely hammered the last few days, while very cold and quite dry across Hokkaido. Currently on the plane flying from Tokyo to Chitose (with free wi-fi!) and you can see the snow clouds rolling over the central mountain ranges of Honshu. Looks very white down there. Hope we can find some good stuff in Hokkaido still despite this!
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its absolutely hammering down in niseko at the minute. At a rough estimate about 10cm has accumulated from 10am till now. Crazy!
snow report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
musehead wrote:
It looks like Honshu is being absolutely hammered the last few days, while very cold and quite dry across Hokkaido. Currently on the plane flying from Tokyo to Chitose (with free wi-fi!) and you can see the snow clouds rolling over the central mountain ranges of Honshu. Looks very white down there. Hope we can find some good stuff in Hokkaido still despite this!


You'll be OK. Face shots at Kiroro today.
snow report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mike Pow, glad you're getting it good over there!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the conditions at Furano are poor at the moment. Was expecting sidecountry areas to be tracked but even the untracked areas up to an hour's skin away from the lifts are heavy and dense - there's no powder here right now. Nothing of note in the forecast for the next week+, this area needs a serious reset.

We may head to Asahidake tomorrow, which apparently had some snow last night but also very high winds. We're considering cutting our losses here in Hokkaido and going down to ski the Nagano/Nigata resorts instead. Which would be a shame in some ways as I really like Hokkaido - but powder comes first!
latest report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Unusually warm inNiseko, and rather less snow so far this season than is normal.
There was some genuine powder to be found yesterday, but mostly the off-piste was mid boot deep and a little heavy.
Stll lovely to ski though.

Today I am off to Moiwa while The Lad is skinning up Mount Yotei...a quick 6 hour skin up....those days are in my past!
snow conditions     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Didn't get to Moiwa...missed the bus!

Niseko was good though, about 10-20 cm of fresh overnight, very little wind and not too cold.

Mt Yotei was very tough...The Lad does Olympic Triathlons and said those are a lot easier Very Happy

They are knackered...
latest report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
musehead wrote:
@Mike Pow, glad you're getting it good over there!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the conditions at Furano are poor at the moment. Was expecting sidecountry areas to be tracked but even the untracked areas up to an hour's skin away from the lifts are heavy and dense - there's no powder here right now. Nothing of note in the forecast for the next week+, this area needs a serious reset.

We may head to Asahidake tomorrow, which apparently had some snow last night but also very high winds. We're considering cutting our losses here in Hokkaido and going down to ski the Nagano/Nigata resorts instead. Which would be a shame in some ways as I really like Hokkaido - but powder comes first!


Thanks for the heads up.

Hope you get your fix
snow report     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
rungsp wrote:
Unusually warm inNiseko, and rather less snow so far this season than is normal.
There was some genuine powder to be found yesterday, but mostly the off-piste was mid boot deep and a little heavy.
Stll lovely to ski though.

Today I am off to Moiwa while The Lad is skinning up Mount Yotei...a quick 6 hour skin up....those days are in my past!


Very unseasonal weather at the moment. Snow is forecast and can't come soon enough.

Even so, I've skied boot top to knee the past three days at Kiroro and Asari.

Asari was particularly enjoyable today. Mellow terrain down to the golf course. Untracked all day, boot top creamy powder. Fast.
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had a good day today at Asahidake. Weather was clear so we hiked to the top. Light winds although was cold on the peak. The snow was very wind scoured above the tree line, some of the biggest sastrugi on the way down I've ever had to tackle! Lower down, we found some deep soft snow in the sheltered forest area to the skiers right of the ropeway (a short steep pitch) although it was pretty heavy, not really powder.
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We are staying in niseko at this moment, the powder is very hard to find. Dus any one have a good tip?
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@john hoeben, go to Kiroro....it is getting a different micro-climate and looks like it is just getting more.

We are in Niseko too at the moment and are day-tripping there tomorrow.
Get the tickets from the Welcome Center...costs jpy7,500 including the lift pass.

Tomorrows bus is full though...we got the last places.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have just changed our plans...next stop was supposed to be Furano but we have cancelled that and booked into Otaru and we will use that as a base to go to Kiroro and various other micro resorts.
After that Sapporo is a base for a few days for places near there.

The forecast looks much, much better for this new combination.
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We went there yesterday a lot of touring groups, but also there it was much tracked out.

Now first a beer at tamashii
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Took a daytrip to kiroro yesterday. It might be the most picturesque ski resort ive ever been to. We found some nice snow in the trees off nagamine lift, but its been a bit thin on the ground the last few days. Looks like tomorrow might be the day.
ski holidays     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@element has it been dumping today?
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Im staying in Niseko and im in Tamashii too at the minute so im not sure about kiroro today. Forecast looks good for tomorrow though. Im wearing an orange down jacket with yellow zips, say hello if u see me!
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I dont see you? Blue hoody. And the guy with wepowder beany Toofy Grin
ski holidays     



Derived from phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group & 2004-2013 snowHeads.com Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy