Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go in New England? Jay Peak? Or Elsewhere?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

Some years the USA have had much worse snow (even in the fabled Utah resorts) than Europe, some years they've had epic snow!!

The last 9 years the lowest snow fall in a single year for Snowbird (Utah) has been 783cm, with most years being around 1000cm or more. Most European resorts would be very happy with 783cm, whereas there it was a bad year. Of course nothing is certain about weather and certainly Europe outperforming certain areas of n America this year. However, the vast majority of the time n America gets way more snow than Europe - some of the resorts *average* over 1000cm per year which is way above European resorts.

Of course Japan is a better choice than both for guaranteed deep powder

total overall doesn't really tell the full story, especially if it all arrives late in the season....

as an example of early season lack of base this year https://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/11/28/utah-is-experiencing-one-of-its-worst-early-seasons-in-history/

Agree on Japan for a trip of a lifetime!
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I first started skiing when living in NY, moved back to the UK and in recent years have been skiing in Italy and Banff (staying with friends in Canmore).

Much as I'd certainly try to fit in a few days skiing back in Killington if I were to visit NY again, I really would not recommend the East Coast for a skiing holiday unless visiting NY or Boston was a draw in its own right. In general it's a lot icier than you'll get if you head further West.

If you are open to heading further West, might I suggest thinking about Banff. The headline daily ticket prices last season were 109CAD + tax, but if you bought a "Sunshine Super Card" and skiied for 7 days then you would have got about a 30% discount. They have not announced prices for next season yet, but it looks like there will be some sort of multi-day discount.

Direct mid-week flights in early March (early enough in the season so that the snow would not get damp in the day) are currently going from £550 for a 10 day trip. The fact that Banff is primarily a summer resort and that you're paying in CAD (1 GBP = 1.7 CAD) help.

Although Banff is a (free) bus ride from the mountain, it is a town in which you can walk from hotel to bar to restaurant, and back again.

Yes, it will be more than a trip to the East Coast, but IMO much better value for money.
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very true, but Calgary is no NYC or Boston
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike Pow wrote:
Very true, but Calgary is no NYC or Boston

Quite!

As a city, even Salt Lake City is more interesting than Calgary.

Beyond the east coast, about the only cities that are worth a cross-pond flight are probably San Francisco, LA and Vancouver. (Chicago and Toronto are both great cities But there're no mountains there)
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
New England ski resorts are weekend, day resorts in my opinion. Killington is the biggest, Stowe is quintisentially New England and offers some very challenging piste skiing. Sunday River is my Favourite. Really beautiful and relaxed.
Conditions are often cold and icy or rainy.
If you're in the area worth a ski but certainly not worth.crossing the pond for unless you're touring and doing the other delights like Boston and Quebec City.

Colorado and Salt Lake city, however, offer something worth the trip. The big difference is the frequency and quality of powder skiing.

North America offers nothing to compare with the mega resorts of Europe, except Whistler which, in my opinion is the best resort in the world, when conditions are good - which is a gamble.
ski holidays     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I haven't read through the whole thread, but let me offer this: Skiing in New England is its own thing, and has many charms to offer if your only goal isn't to rack up big mileage on the biggest slopes.

How about spending a week in the Mad River Valley of Vermont? https://www.madrivervalley.com/; https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/travel/vermont-skiing-mad-river-valley.html

You've got Sugarbush and MRV, two iconic resorts. Others like Stowe are within driving distance. Plus New England villages, good food, great scenery, not too crowded.

Find an airbnb or condo at Sugarbush, rent a car in Boston, and have fun. There will be enough snow in Feb/March.
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MRG sounds like the very worst place on earth for the OP's party given their ski wishes. AIUI it is all about getting down n dirty in the trees and the bumps.
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pasigal wrote:
I haven't read through the whole thread,
You've got Sugarbush and MRV, two iconic resorts. Others like Stowe are within driving distance. Plus New England villages, good food, great scenery, not too crowded.

You've read too much out of the travel brochure! "not too crowded" and MRV do not go together. Not on weekends anyway.

As for the "great scenery", I've seen better out my window. (though I think the scenery is actually better in the summer than in the winter, for an area known more for skiing rolling eyes )
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Skiing in New England is its own thing, and has many charms to offer

Let's be honest skiing on the east coast is pretty much inferior in everyway. Nobody is travelling from out west to ski the east coast, on the other hand many from the east coast ski holiday out west.
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ive been to Killington twice in the late 90's. Very different to Europe, shorter runs and at time more sanitised. Had a few days at Pico which I think is on the Killington lift pass, also had a day at Sugarbush. Really enjoyed the skiing and the whole "American style customer service" experience. Getting from area to area at Killington some times meant skiing/traversing across mountains. Even in March it was cold and one year VERY cold, snow was good, natural and man made.
latest report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Apologies, not been on for a week or so as been away with work and not able to get internet access. Thanks all for the very helpful responses. We are going to sit down and chat about what we want to do now, there is a lot to consider!
Will post back when we make a decision.

Thanks again to all.
Mark
snow report     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy