Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap family friendly resort for novice family in April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
We are a non skiing family (2 adults +3 kids 7,10 and 11 years) about to start lessons.
I am looking to book somewhere cheap and cheerful for April as an incentive to keep us skiing.
Can anybody recommend a family friendly (quietish) European resort that will still have snow 1/4/19.
Thanks in advance
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think Obergurgl or Obertauern would suit you well.
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Valmeinier
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hodgey, welcome to snowHeads.
La Rosiere, Les Contamines.
latest report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
...also some of the lower altitude villages in the La Plagne area may have bargains low season week like that, eg Les Coches, Montchavin.
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Les Deux Alpes

*EDIT* although maybe not that quiet
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Rosiere
ski holidays     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PeakyB wrote:
...also some of the lower altitude villages in the La Plagne area may have bargains low season week like that, eg Les Coches, Montchavin.

Agreed, although you may have to take several lifts to get to snow. Or of course it may be plentiful!!!

If you want snow sure I think you'd need to head high and as that's very much end of season, even the big resorts have bargains. Les Arcs often offer deals on lift passes as well
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
avoid the big ski areas.
Pointless paying €300 for a lift pass when you will only see 5% of the mountain.
Better to head to a smaller resort of around 85k-150k
you wont feel overwhelmed by the space & the €100 saved can be used for more lessons!

Lots of choices for apartment + lift pass on snowtrex & sunweb.
You could also try direct with pierreetvacances, odlays, madamvacances, etc.

You need to work out where you can fly from & where them airports fly to to start narrowing down options.
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski Amade, Austria, offers free ski passes for kids from mid-March, one adult 6 day pass must be purchased to qualify. Nearest airport with a transfer time of approx 45 mins to many towns is Salzburg. HTH Ange
ski holidays     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glenshee or Aviemore might be a safer bet as that's just post-brexit day - you may have trouble travelling if some of the more dire predictions come to pass and flights are grounded and there are massive queues at border control....
snow report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Off the wall suggestion... Norway still has a snow guarantee at many resorts in April. I took my family of non-skiers to Trysil last year and they had a such a good time we are going back... in April 19.
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Damion75 wrote:
Off the wall suggestion... Norway still has a snow guarantee at many resorts in April. I took my family of non-skiers to Trysil last year and they had a such a good time we are going back... in April 19.

Seconded.

No doubt someone will be along to say how expensive Norway is but we didnt find it so when DIY. But don't eat out!
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Same as above applies to Sweden. Doesn’t spring to mind as cheap and cheerful, but bear in mind the accommodation prices on skistar.com are for the apartment (not per person) so I think a self-catering holiday is competitive.

Last Easter was great, and it’s a little further north than Trysil. For Åre there are direct flights to Östersund with Easyjet from Gatwick and Bristol. It’s family friendly. For beginners I’d recommend staying in Bjornen area.
latest report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Soldeu/El Tarter in Andorra could work for you. Lift system is fine, decent ski schools, plenty of easy terrain, reasonably priced self catering apartments, etc.

Cervinia would also fit the bill.

It's quite late in the season, so would not book too far in advance. Better to make a shortlist, see what conditions are like by say mid March and book then.