Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Montets fire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
"Personally I wouldn't say Chamonix is good for families. "

Based on last year's experience, I would disagree... now, I define Chamonix as the valley so I think it offers lots of options depending on your family. Staying in town might take more effort (unless you have a car) but you have access to restaurants, shops, the nearby snow park with sledding, train up to the Mer de Glace... lots of stuff to do.

Now digging into Aletsch which seems quieter but very cool.
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ItaloSkier wrote:
"Personally I wouldn't say Chamonix is good for families. "

Based on last year's experience, I would disagree... now, I define Chamonix as the valley so I think it offers lots of options depending on your family. Staying in town might take more effort (unless you have a car) but you have access to restaurants, shops, the nearby snow park with sledding, train up to the Mer de Glace... lots of stuff to do.

Indeed, it depends. Clearly your family needs are very different to mine. Not saying that is an issue or either view is right. Just different.
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fair enough. Last year, we stayed in Argentiere... I would have to drop the family off at the Charamillon lift for their lessons and I would head back to Grands Montets to ski with my guide. It was a bit of a chore but doable. What was nice though is that we could make decisions based on weather. On one bluebird day, we went to Courmayeur and they played in the snow while I "played in the snow". Nice to be able to hop from Chamonix.
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ItaloSkier, whilst the ESF doesn’t (for some odd reason) publicise this, they often provide transport for their lessons. I had friends stay in in le praz, and ESF used to collect their kids each morning at 8.30, drive them up to le tour, and return at the end of the day.

They do this for grown ups as well. A beginner friend staying with us last year moved between le tour, Argentiere and Flegere, with an ESF minibus transporting her each day.

It’s by no means a direct substitute for ski in ski out, but can smooth the process a lot.
ski holidays     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Evolution 2 lessons are at GM and meet at the base, the more advance groups sometimes go off somewhere else but the beginner groups stay at GM. The loss of the bins won't impact on that much. Ref Chamonix not being a family resort it does depend on the family. My kids love the Luge and the leisure centre and we alternate between Montevers and AdM for an afternoon if they ever want time off or if the weather is bad. They've even been around the Alpine Museum so apart from the skiing the MBU Pass is worth it for us. We'll still be going once in 2019.
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@RobH2017, you see quite a few Evo2 around La Tour.

Anyhoo, I have a suspicion that Evo2 and ESF will be modifying their programmes to make better use of the new beginner and intermediate slopes around Plan Joran this year (as in, why would you not?)
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

@RobH2017, you see quite a few Evo2 around La Tour.

Anyhoo, I have a suspicion that Evo2 and ESF will be modifying their programmes to make better use of the new beginner and intermediate slopes around Plan Joran this year (as in, why would you not?)

Yes, I think they do their adult group lessons at La Tour although as you said with the new beginner areas that might change. We always have a couple of private lessons in the week each to improve technique and they're at GM historically (over lunch).
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RobH2017, TBH I have no real idea where they do group lessons (I suppose I should in case a client asks).

I was rather surprised a few years ago when some friends who were out and more or less rank beginners were offered GMs for their private lessons.

Cue a swift conversation and agreement from the prof after the lesson that that would have been a Very Bad Idea.
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We always do private lesssons since they are MUCH cheaper in Europe than in the U.S. I can confirm that the ESF can help, at times, with transportation as one time my instructor/guide helped me take my family to La Tour and then we headed back to GM to go ski off piste at the top. ESF Argentiere was great - probably helps going during quieter times.
snow report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cham and Arg suck for families in Winter.

Valley is way too spreadout.
snow report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Whitegold, you have never actually been here, have you?

(Rhetorical question, I already know the answer).

rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy