Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2018 / 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@eblunt, yep, there is a walking track which we use sometimes, when desperate ie. when Colosses has broken down, but it needs to be hit at full charge and is quite uphill at the end to rejoin the piste.
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@boredsurfin, Yes, I've seen that .... where the old Leitchoums lift was. Surely they can remodel that bit somehow to avoid the walk ?
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair
Thanks for the reply a couple of weeks ago! Been away with work, so apologies for not getting back to you.

I know both resorts pretty well (did a season in Belle Plagne) - just gutted I didn't know the lift dates when we booked the chalet.
Oh well - as you say, there is plenty of terrain and the rest of the group don't seem too pissed off.

Cheers
T
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tferris, I admire your optimism. Pray for a start to season like last one.
But for previous 3 years i don't think you have been able to ski down to Montchavin until after New Year.
If you can ski at Montchavin at all before Dec 22: https://winter.montchavin-la-plagne.com/
For as long as i can remember, whole of Paradiski has been open for Christmas week, but the week before Christmas only the upper parts are open, with no links to Montchavin/Les Coches, or Champagny, or Montalbert.
I hope for you I'm wrong.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 22-09-18 11:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jonpim, to be fair he has cause to be optimistic, in regard of skiing down to Les Coches at least. Whilst the VE may not open until the 22nd they will want to have the links prepared asap. So they will probably be priming the slopes down the VE and from the VE to Les Coches with artificial snow as early as possible.
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been skiing a number of times in La Plagne the week before Christmas and @Jonpim is correct. Every year I went only the higher parts of the resort were open (ie nothing below Plagne Centre) because there wasn't enough snow or people. They usually opened the resort fully on the day the Vanoise opens (with free vin chaud!) so we could use the Les Arcs day pass on the Saturday before we left on the Sunday. One year we braved it down to Montalbert and it was so stony the hire shops would not have been happy.

However, there was plenty of good skiing to be had in La Plagne, with nice quiet well-groomed pistes and no lift queues - so, every cloud! Some years we had absolutely tons of snow.
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne, I agree they will be busy preparing the runs down to the Vanoise, but will the lifts above Montchavin (and the other lower sectors Champagny and Montalbert) actually be running the week before Christmas?
The La Plagne page states opening 15/12/2018, while the Montchavin page states opening 22/12/2018.
latest report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Tferris This:
Jonpim wrote:
the Montchavin page states opening 22/12/2018.

I think it is generally unusual to open before the scheduled date, even if there is enough snow, because many staff for lifts, ski-hire shops, mountain restaurants etc will only arrive for the scheduled date. With plenty of snow they may get a limited area operating.

I would work on the assumption that you may have to get to Plagne 1800 / Bellecote / Centre each day until the 22nd. About 15-20 miles each way. Are you self-drive?
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim wrote:
Layne, I agree they will be busy preparing the runs down to the Vanoise, but will the lifts above Montchavin (and the other lower sectors Champagny and Montalbert) actually be running the week before Christmas?
The La Plagne page states opening 15/12/2018, while the Montchavin page states opening 22/12/2018.

Honestly don't know. And based on others experience perhaps not. If I was Tferris I would want to find out though. Clearly it could be a major issue.
snow report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No further news about Montchavin before Dec 22nd 2018?

Meantime from webcams looks like good progress on new stuff.
The Inversens lift looking good from Roche de Mio end.
And the cranes seem to have gone from Plagne Centre, suggesting that developments there are (hopefully) near completion.
snow conditions     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim wrote:
No further news about Montchavin before Dec 22nd 2018?

Err, what news are you expecting?
snow conditions     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Myrtilles piste, a new blue run for 2018/19 has been announced in Montchavin.

From https://twitter.com/Alpine365ski
snow report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@boredsurfin, Is that one of the forest cat-tracks they've officially converted to a piste? Can't picture it myself, although as I big fan of Pierres Blanches I'm not sure why it was needed? Seems a strange decision to get some potentially nervous learners crossing a black piste like that - from memory Murs is quite narrow so may not give much room for manoeuvring around crossing skiers.

Thanks for sharing though, I've been missing some La Plagne news as the Perso La Plagne news page hasn't been updated since the end of July! All looking good on the webcam though for the new Inversens lift.
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chopkins13, Guess so, I'm never really sure where I am around there! Found a bar one year, didn't know it existed, it was off a loop off a piste, I'm sure it was a X Country track the season before.....

Must admit (Olly) Murs is one of my favourite blacks, just short enough for my old knees to cope with Toofy Grin
ski holidays     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy