Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone interested in a fitness motivation thread?

Poster: A snowHead
oki doki... into the fray.. perhaps if I start posting in here I'll shame myself into keeping my motivation up...

1st gym sesh of the new year last night... managed 12k on the treadmill 1hr 20 Embarassed couldn't manage weights as was knackerd.. will try for a light weigts session tonight to loosen up with out being crippled for 5 days Laughing who knows may even throw in 20 mins on the X trianer if an I'm feeling daring
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What sort of training regeme is recommended when you are recovering from a cold and have only 10 days until the plane to the alps? Have been to the gym but after only 10 or 15 minutes on a cross-trainer I feel all feek and weeble, my legs have little interest in doing more exercise and my brain is more addled than usual.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Adrian, Let your strength build up, it's too easy to run yourself down training whilst not fully recovered - and leave 3 restful days before your flight. 10 days will make bug all difference anyway but some gentle squats/lunges and balance work on a stability cushion may give you a little benefit.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oisin Osh Kelly,
Quote:

managed 12k on the treadmill 1hr 20

Wow , i get bored after 20-25 min , was there someone 'fit' infront of you
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm off on saturday and i'm worried that i havn't done enough apres training. I've been out cycling and to the gym but that hasn't left much time for apres. I did aim to go to the pub after work every day but havn't managed it once Sad . I'm hoping that the beer equivalent of muscle memory will suffice
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Paul Mason wrote:
srobbo, yep the gym will be full of part-timers for the next few weeks. Fat Class tonight had 20 new members - I wonder how many of them will be here in February but fat bloke still got slimmer of the week ! A class full of women and a bloke puts them to shame - again !

Three days till my first trip to Austria - I'll see if two stones less makes a difference !! snowHead

2 stone..if its all fat equates to 56 packets of butter.. thats a lot of toast!!
put 56 packets of butter in a rucksack and go for a jog.. i reckon you will find it makes a huge difference!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mistermouse wrote:
Oisin Osh Kelly,
Quote:

managed 12k on the treadmill 1hr 20

Wow , i get bored after 20-25 min , was there someone 'fit' infront of you
#

Laughing Laughing Laughing nope i was in the ZONE man!!! Or was it coz I couldn't figure out how to stop the damn thing Confused

But last nights 20 mins on the X trainer turned into an hour as there was a rather nice young lady in very snug lyrca in front of me wink

Yes, yes. and before the flaming begins by the lovely ladies of this forum... I am a saddo Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can hardly move, did a big shoulder workout on fri, then squat jump ups and leg presses, finished with 4 sets each of chin ups and dips. Today went on bike for first time in 2 weeks and did 40k of roads and forest trails. Almost to tired to pedal home hehehe. Oh - and some idiot clipped me with his car mirror - made quite a bang as it hit my handle bar. Hope he broke it Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Darky
Darky
Scarpa wrote:
I'm scared that a crash on my mountain bike will injure me just before skiing season. I'm wearing the pads today rolling eyes

Hey Petey,

Good job that car just missed a little today on ya bike huh!? Skiing next week too. Your lucky my darkling...I`d just stay away from the road till ya get off the holiday! rolling eyes hehehe

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Darky
Darky
Even Skiing can be a danger of losing something....

Blush Sorry Lads....

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ouch !

I am now two stone seven lbs lighter than when I last skied and I found the difference absolutely amazing ! Keep it up folks - you know its worth it !
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Paul Mason, Well done Paul - bet that gets your enthusiasm up to continue training Little Angel

As long as no one loses the weight via the method pictured above *shudder*
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa, I was desperate but not that desperate.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well that should never happen in reality - I mean - we all know what happens in the cold Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the notes Scarpa, I was not clear enough above. I was fairly fit then got a cold and had a week doing very little exercise. Now that the cold is almost gone I am resuming my gym sessions. When I wrote on Thursday I did feel tired much earlier than I expected. On the positive side have just got home from the gym and feel near to expected form again.
latest report
Adrian, Cool - sounds like you are about ready to go Smile
snow conditions
OK, less than 2 weeks to go and ain't done anything apart from give up alcohol for 2 weeks. What can I do to try and salvage some degree of fitness before I hit the slopes?????
latest report
walking.. preferably in the countryside with some hills..
snow conditions
I do squash training, coach & play everyday of the week when im not on the slopes. Great Fun,good competitive sport & keeps you mentally alert.
latest report
I have 5 days left before hitting the slopes - time for 2 or 3 more sessions on the weights and a small run. Gonna rest my legs for a few days before the weekend.
snow conditions
I actually got up 20 minutes earlier this morning and rowed 2000 metres. I've been meaning to do it for ages but my rowing machine is in the den next to CharlieQ's bedroom and when he's home from uni it generally gets folded up and put in the corner. There are two more mornings before I go skiing on Friday, that should do the trick Laughing
snow report
RachelQ, dont overdo it - just fit one morning in !
ski holidays
Off to climbing wall tonight - good stretching exercise - 2 more days to go now Cool
ski holidays
 Darky
Darky
Scarpa, Have fun..... snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sounds like Scarpa is in pretty good shape 40k of mixed terrain biking is pretty impressive. Oisin Osh Kelly, how is the gym going ? Must admit I don't enjoy the treadmill bores me rigid.

Last week I got quite a bit done but this week just a couple of sessions a jog a gym and a swim. Anyway I will be seeing if it pays off tomorrow as I am flying out today snowHead I may be a little fitter than last year but in contrast to Paul Mason I am afraid I am a bit lardier, about 5kg over my weight last year and I wasn't a light weight then Shocked

Good luck to everyone hope it all goes well for you. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
T Bar, enjoy your hols - where you off to ?
snow report
Paul Mason,
Cheers, Off to catch the plane in around fifteen minutes will end up in La Plagne. snowHead
snow conditions
It's 10 years since I last skied. Back then I was in my 20s. Don't remember doing anything specific to get in shape for the slopes (I used to fence, which I suppose helped with the legs) and didn't suffer particularly when I was on them. Did the French thing of first lift out, last lift back, every day.

However, I am now in my late 30s. My weight is pretty much the same (10st) but my cardio training is next to non-existent (I power walk in MBTs, and that's about it). The only thing I have on my side is that I do intermediate/advanced Pilates 3 or 4 times a week.

My husband is in training for an IronMan triathlon. He's mega-fit, but after a week on his snowboard, it's taken him 5 days to be able to run/spin properly again, without walking like Frankenstein's monster afterwards.

I'm hoping to be on the slopes by the end of the season, but I'm not sure where my training focus should lie. To be fair, I was only ever a bluey-red run kinda gal at the best of times.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not wishing to be un-motivationable, but how soon before the trip should you stop training to allow recovery?

I'll be skiing Sunday and have had four pretty hard sessions in as many days, in fact the legs are pretty sore. I wasn't planning another session (other than stretching) before I go.
ski holidays
marc gledhill, I would probably try and fit a light session in before you go. Even just spinning on a bike for 1/2 hr. Just to loosen things up.
latest report
*BUMP*

So how's it all going..... all motivation lost.... or secretly are we all now too fit to type?

me... have managed to stick with it. not as much as I'd like but at least 2 times a week at the gym... 3 slowly becoming the norm. Getting at least 4 hours of serious cardio in as well. Weight seems to be fairly static, but overall fitness is vastly improved
ski holidays
Oisin Osh Kelly wrote:
*BUMP*

So how's it all going..... all motivation lost.... or secretly are we all now too fit to type?

Well I am still managing to run ( I hate gyms and swimming ) twice a week and I did the Longleat 10k a couple of weeks ago - time was not too bad for a hilly course. However it did help knowing that the lions hadn't been fed for a week Laughing

I have another 10k event in Salisbury this Sunday which has the Mother of all hills on its route, SP ( My Son ) reckons I am going to die running up it - I hope he is not right Sad
snow report
opps forgot about this fitness stuff. I promise to keep the gym up till the 22 April bash.
ski holidays
I've been off skiing and am off again at the weekend so gym cycling running etc has taken a bit of a back seat but it has definatley helped> Easier than last year though possibly less tiring skiing. The weight is piling on though Confused
snow report
Still been visiting the gym, but not on a regular basis, due to work commitments.
Watched the skiing on sunday whilst on an exercise bike though.
snow report
Had a mildly sprained thumb and knee dating from last ski trip so couldn't do any pushing movement with left hand on the weights for a bit. Had a mega session on friday though, 1.25hrs of weights (triceps & legs) and pull-ups/dips, hr on the sitting bike then a swim. Boy did I feel that over the weekend.
snow report
BUMP

Well I have put in a bit of skiing in the last few weeks and other forms of exercise have definatley taken a back seat, but I am going to keep fit through till next season if I can Shocked and still have one more week to go this year. snowHead

After several weeks off had a short jog on friday and a cycle today and am really feeling a bit knackered Embarassed

How's it going for other folks?
snow report
Been on my bike for the first time this year (18 miles on road, including one decent hill climb), and I'm a bit knackered to tell the truth, despite doing a fair amount of skiing and running recently. I think I need to shed a few pounds for those climbs!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar, Things here slowed for a while but I have been out running a couple of times a week for around 8 mile a session plus sprint work. We've got one of those hulking metal home gyms which I have sporadic success with. I much prefer free weights but it is useful for leg extensions. Funny this thread has come back to life as I've just got back from town with new trainers in tow. Nike Shox, down from £130 to £70 bargain, I think Puzzled
ski holidays
Well I didn't expire going up the hill during thr Salisbury Firestation 10k, in fact I got in just under 60 minutes which is only the 2nd time I have managed sub 60 for a 10k.

I am stiil running a couple of times a week and I have a 10k event at Calne next Sunday - then only 2 weeks to Villaroger snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy