Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Researchers call for ski rental packages to include helmet use

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A review of published evidence on head injures in young skiers has suggested that helmet use has reduced the number and severity of head injuries. As well as the review, the researchers conducted a survey of 101 English secondary schools that organise ski trips to identify helmet use. In all, 96% of teachers said they expected young people to wear helmets while skiing. The researchers have called for the inclusion of ski helmets within ski rental packages to decrease financial barriers to their use and encourage people to wear them....See: http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/47/17/e4.30.abstract
Citation: Br J Sports Med 2013; 47(17):e4. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2013-093073.36.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Would you really want to trust a rental helmet? I don't think the authors quite get the ski rental market where a helmet would be expected to last several months in the hands of people with no interest in looking after it or that ski helmets are designed to part destruct on impact, be that in a crash or being dropped and kicked around the boot room!
No real surprise in the teachers response either, if they have insisted on helmet wearing it is one less thing the ambulance chasers could go after them for if a kid got injured.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I looked at the cost of renting (except for Italy which I think was free) and then went out the next weekend and got the kids a helmet each. Much to my amazement they haven't lost of damaged them since either
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
musher, Yep my kids know the importance of looking after their helmets and given the way they ski and board (and frequency of high speed crashes) don't take any persuading to wear one. But kids being kids I'd not be sure a hire one wasn't used as a football the previous week!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
About 50% of the places I've taken friends to (as I've always had season hire skis) have included helmets if you asked. Those have just been day hire though (which is all i'd cnsider using a rental helmet for!)

For week long use I wouldn't want to risk using a rental helmet as davkt and musher says - I'd personally buy.

(I'm on my second helmet - changed when I felt the first one had taken one too many hard knocks)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hygiene issue with rented bone domes? I wouldn't want one.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've just had a reply published (basically my first post above) on the BJSM site. Chip into the discussion there as well folks!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helmets included for free in kids packages in France for some time now, at least with the networks I know.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fixx wrote:

(I'm on my second helmet - changed when I felt the first one had taken one too many hard knocks)

Off to Decathlon later (with plan B the Ski Show tomorrow) to get Tablyem a new helmet after a big crash on last day of last years hol but a big pointy dent in the back of hers that looks like someone put a nail there and whacked it with a hammer! At very least there there would have been lots of blood and possibly a fractured skull without the helmet!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy