Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The fate of Sheffield Ski Village

Poster: A snowHead
According to Sheffield Council, the former Sheffield Ski village has become a dumping ground and local eyesore. The centre, which closed last year, has also been hit by several arson attacks in the past few months....See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-24742960
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In all fairness anything that was flammable was destroyed in the initial fire that killed the business......slopes still seem sort of ok tho surprisingly (pics here:)

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/leisure-sites/78914-sheffield-ski-village-march-2013-a.html
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/leisure-sites/78551-ski-village-sheffield-17-02-13-a.html

Shame really but I suppose indoor fridge less that an hour away in Castleford has probably stopped any chance of it returning
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chatting to the instructor on my snowboard day course at Chill Factore who was from Sheffield and he was saying there have been a load of cases of crooks setting the matting on fire to steal the metal reinforcement inside it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh and he did say it still gets used, particularly after a bit of rain livens up the mats.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aren't the North Koreans still looking for a lift for their new Masik Pass resort? Maybe Sheffield council could open a dialogue to them to buy whats left of the ski village and ship it out...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard_Sideways, doubt even the People's Republic of South Yorkshire can evade UN SANCTIONS for that. wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They could hide it all under a consignment of flat caps, Whippets and bloody awful Lowry art.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
WTF's Lowry got to do with Yorkshire ?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tempted to pop up and grab some matting, could make a little jump out of it somewhere to practice on.

I wish theyd remake it, put a roof on it and cover it in fake snow though as it was so much better than any of the indoor slopes.

I remember there was an idea to do this before it got burned down but Sheffield City council threw lots of obstacles in the way so they didnt bother
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Tarquin, Richard_Sideways is from that London. It's all the same "oop north" to them. They've never heard of the Wars of the Roses.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
medlington, was it ever a serious plan? I thought it was a way for Pullin to get through the housing development he's supposedly always wanted on that site.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
maggi wrote:
Quote:

Tarquin, Richard_Sideways is from that London. It's all the same "oop north" to them. They've never heard of the Wars of the Roses.

Aye - This.

The Grim North, where land is 'arsh and bay-yur.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
medlington wrote:
Tempted to pop up and grab some matting, could make a little jump out of it somewhere to practice on.

I wish theyd remake it, put a roof on it and cover it in fake snow though as it was so much better than any of the indoor slopes.

I remember there was an idea to do this before it got burned down but Sheffield City council threw lots of obstacles in the way so they didnt bother

Think it was much the neighbours in that delightful bit of Sheffield that but up the barriers.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways, rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
maggi, Richard_Sideways, Oy, I'll have you know I've been to that there London, I know exactly what it's like.

http://youtube.com/v/HptmXm956oI
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, here's what I had back from some friends still in the area:

Quote:
My understanding was that he'd bought the place with a view to building houses / flats on the site. Needless to say, we were worried that we wouldn't have the use of the slope in 07/08. Apparently he couldn't get permission to build on it, as it's on (or near to) an old landfill site, so kept it running as a ski / board centre. There wasn't much work done to revamp the slope, although I don't know if that changed in recent years (before it was burned down). They did put in a bowling alley at the end of the bar, which seemed pretty superfluous and I never saw it busy.

Quote:
He is a successful property developer in Sheffield. To be fair to the guy, I think he bought it for a good price and sunk a fair bit of capital into development of bowling alley in order to lure a few more punters up the hill. He made a good job of it too. Based on the fact that investment went into the place it would unfair to say he intended to develop it into houses all along. Right about the land fill issue, you have to wait for a certain amount of time before the land becomes 'fit' for the building of dwellings but I have no idea how much time is left on that restriction or when it lapsed. I think the area was earmarked for regeneration at some point which would mean that land would be prime for development.
ski holidays
Shame to see somewhere which was once one of the best places to practice your skiing in the area (prior to the fridges) go to rack and ruin like that.
snow report
The proposed project for the site was called Sheffield Snow Mountain;
http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/slopes-sheffieldi.html

The idea was to turn the centre into a large indoor one. The stumbling block was part of the proposal included the development of some housing property on site. The council apparently approved the indoor ski centre but rejected the proposal of housing. The problem was the previous owners needed the revenue from the housing in order to do the ski centre. The project went no where and then there was the fire.

IN my opinion they should have sort investment as the centre itself was approved. I would imagine that the potential for a project there (at least from the perspective of the council) is still on the table, especially after the mess that exists there now. Surprisingly no investors have come forward. Perhaps there are many other factors Joe Bloggs is unaware of?

Possibly come 2014 Olympics James Woods might bring attention to the issue, so far he has said very little on the matter.
latest report
atraherne, ok the redevelopment stalled, but that was 7 years ago - the fire that closed the place was April 2012.
ski holidays
That's right; therefore now more than ever a re-development of the site is needed. Ideally a new ski centre, but if knowbody comes forward with a proposal, site could well end up becoming something altogether different, which would be a shame. Possibly, ironically housing?
snow conditions
Getting the investors was where they slipped in the first place and with continued struggling economy, the issue is still there for finding potential investors I bet. But potentially with someone like James Woods doing well at 2014, that might highlight a potential in the site for investment? Big IF even if he does do well.

Personally would like to see a new ski centre on that site one day. Used to rate the permanent mogul run highly.
latest report
atraherne, did you read the stuff I quoted above?
snow conditions
with cas beign so close you'd need your head checking to invest enough money to turn sheffield into an indoor snow slope!
snow report
Quote:

with cas beign so close you'd need your head checking to invest enough money to turn sheffield into an indoor snow slope!

Why? The slope was well used when it was outdoor and this would only improve it it was a fridge. The catchment is plenty big enough and this would suck in people from Nottingham and Derby as well as Sheffield. Plus it would canabalise some of the demand at Cas since it would be a better slope.

Can't see anyone stumping up the cash though due to the housing issues.
snow conditions
the cstchement is tiny.

heres a couple of relevant figures

6million people within 2 hrs drive.

thats the catchment required to sustain a fridge
latest report
I would say the catchment area is huge, perched in the centre of one of Europe's biggest metropolises (Midlands / North England), essentially a megalopolis (not something to be proud of, its just a fact). Furthermore just on the doorstep (Sheffield Metro) over a million people. In this circumstance, populations isn't an issue.

That said, indoor ski centres can't just pop up left, right and centre as some regions just don't have the numbers (Cornwall for example), or regions that do, could potentially outstrip demand. I don't see that being an issue in this circumstance; Manchester has a small modest indoor ski centre, as does Leeds, the market is far from saturated.
snow conditions
Anyway, its all just pie in the sky; there are no plans for an indoor centre in Sheffield. Seeing there was, its just wishful thinking. It is true to say however, the potential of the site and the pre-existing ski scene in Sheffield is worth highlighting.
latest report
With all the good publicity SSV is currently getting on the BBC it's a real shame that it closed Sad

The BOA, BSS or other body should have invested some money in SSV & kept it open.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sheffield, being much larger and in the open air was brilliant - far better than sking in a shed at Cas. or MK. Crying or Very sad
snow report
There are plans and hopes for the facility but whether anything will come of it, who knows..

There's an active FB group dedicated to trying to get things moving

https://www.facebook.com/snowsportforsheffield
ski holidays
meanwhile up t'road http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/11432164.__500_000_plan_for_Rossendale_ski_slope_revealed/?ref=var_0
latest report
@sunnbuel, it is community run at Rossendale and they are really making a go of it - we went over each month for the summer league racing this year
snow conditions
Blimey, it's been a decade since finished working at SSV. But of a shock to compare what I remember with how it is today.
snow conditions
 xrdcarbon
xrdcarbon
Tarquin wrote:
maggi, Richard_Sideways, Oy, I'll have you know I've been to that there London, I know exactly what it's like.

http://youtube.com/v/HptmXm956oI

great share
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy