Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fit for it!

Poster: A snowHead
OK, I'm now on my 5 wk countdown & really have to hit the gym beyond my current pathetic attempts. Anything to try & avoid the agony of Day 3 calves (or at less reduce the amount of apres ski vodka needed to numb them!). Guys, I'm not looking for olympic standard fitness but what's yr thoughts on what I should be doing?

Ta ever so
Eeyore
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know about skiing.. but for boarding loads and loadsa squats
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lunges. You don't even need to go to the gym to do it. a beer can in each hand (full - you can drink them after!). Make sure that as you step forward you keep your arms by your side (like Irish dancers do), so that all the effort is through your legs when you stand back up.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are you sure that counts as exercise, Lorraine Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Who knows, but holding pints works for me! Very Happy What was that about lunges? wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I must admit I mis-read the first time and assumed Lorraine was holding pints, then keeping her arms down her sides, leaving her with...wet feet Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would have thought lunges were good for the quads.

If calf pain is the problem (what are you doing on the piste?) another exercise might do better.

Stand upright, feet less than shoulder width apart, legs straight, toes on something firm, heels hanging into space, balance kept by having something for your hands to hold onto (stairs plus handrail fits the bill)- start with heels in lowest position, slowly raise heels to highest position under control, slowly lower, slowly raise - etc until you cannot do any any more raises (for best benefit try to keep going past the burn until you really, really cannot do any more - this hurts). Happy

Leave at least 48 hours before you try it again.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sit-ups are good as well, you do use you stomach muscles an awful lot. Remember to do a few on you side as well to strengthen the obliques
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lunges and squats definitely - I also find a sideways squat is very good. Stand with feet hip width apart, take one foot out sideways and squat over to that side, take your upper body forward with your hands nearly touching the floor either side of the foot that's gone sideways. When coming back to the upright central position drag that foot back along the floor - apparently this gives your inner thighs a work-out as well. Repeat on the other side as well obviously Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cycling is meant to be good ski exercise.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Elizabeth B wrote:
Cycling is meant to be good ski exercise.

I vote for cycling, I ride to and from work and don't have any first day wobblies skiing. Rollerblading is good for balance but I didn't find it got me ski fit. Gyms are just so boring, I figure if you can ride or run to work it is like free exercise. It is about 15 minutes quicker for me to cycle than take the car or tube as well.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I cycle to the pub and wobble back!
Does that count?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I use a rowing machine for general cardio-vascular fitness.
As mentioned by other, lunges, squats & sit-ups are great for strength and to prepare the legs for the onslaught.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swimming.
Followed by cycling and stair climbing.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
core strength is really important, if you do exercises (crunches, light weights) on a fit ball it helps build up your stabilising muscles.
snow report
Get running, half hour sessions, increase the pace as you get fitter.
ski holidays
Well at least my suggestion involves an immediate reward! Very Happy .

Seriously, lunges do wonders for improving the muscles around the knees.
snow report
If you can find one, a Swiss Ball provides a lot of various exercises that do a lot of good. Both leg, arm (for getting back up when you've fallen over Very Happy ) and torso. The torso ones are especially good and seem to have a quicker effect than normal abdominal exercises.
snow conditions
Thanks folks, all good stuff. Now, if I could just drag myself away from this computer...... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Right, finally beaten you.....all postings read. Off to fight with skis, bags etc. Be good see you in a week Wink
snow report
Take it easy with those Swiss Balls please guys, they can be one of the better ways to strain a muscle.

They are one of those exercise aids for which it is preferable to be fit, coordinated and well instructed.

If used by anyone unfit, uncoordinated and uninstructed, they are an accident waiting to happen. Not that any of you are unfit, un- etc Happy
latest report
Good point John - like a lot of plyometric exercises, a recipe for disaster if you don't have any existing fitness.

Incidentally, Makro are selling swiss/fitness balls for a fiver plus VAT. Bargain!
snow conditions
Off to the piste in 3 weeks, havent even thought about exercise and now it must be too late. Oh heck Shocked

I did walk downstairs this morning, does that count??????????
ski holidays
I didn't bother getting ski-fit at all before my trip last month and boy, did I pay for that for the first 3 or 4 days!

Fruity - it's not too late; just don't do too much too soon or you might injure yourself. Cycling worked for me last year, in the gym where I could alter the resistance of the machine to suit how my legs were feeling (and therefore not overdo it). I only did about an hour a week for a month or so yet it really made a difference - a difference that I didn't really appreciate until this year!
snow report
I have decided to walk up and down the stairs (its a start) and do squat things that hubby showed me. (hee hee...... well its the best form of exercise there its!!) However, I rarely exercise but keep fit at work, lifting stuff and running around after the lads in the warehouse. I didnt really suffer last time (2002) and didnt exercise then either! Mind you, I have a big 0 coming up later this year and really should treat my body with a bit more respect. (pausing to put down the bacardi). Wink
latest report
Brought the pub home with you I see Wink
snow conditions
well what has a girl got to do to get a drink around here anyway???????????? Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy