Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BCA Float refills

Poster: A snowHead
Had to discharge a cylinder prior to flight. Anyone know where I can can get a 2700 psi dry air refill in Central London, Surrey or preferably Val Thorens?

Anyone had any luck with fire stations?

BCA website worse than useless suggesting that the nearest refill centre is in Ipswich or somesuch and doesn't appear to have heard if French Alps.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could try a dive shop, Dive Wimbledon or similar. They should just need to know the cylinder fitting to make sure they have an adaptor. Failing that a Air-rifle shop which does fills.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Apparently though you need to get a refill kit from BCA as you need to change an 'o' ring before every refill.
http://youtube.com/v/wVwHAB3agRI
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah got the spare O rings
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, u tried livetoski?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dave of the Marmottes, I did a test fire a couple of weeks back....Did you find anywhere to recharge your BCA cylinder in the south east (England)?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skivolo, SnowSun in Ipswich can do them, in fact I'm taking mine there this week Very Happy www.snowsun.com
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Amphibian is probably your closest sensible dive shop.

Note many will be terrified by the idea of filling a tin which looks different to their usual customers, talk to Jim there and he will try and help any way he can.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave of the Marmottes, You will need an adapt0r (paintball to scuba?) they about £100 inc vat from the distributors Anacom. You will need to cool the cylinder as its does get hot which really worried a dive place i used once and they would not do it again and as it gets hot you need to check the pressure after it cools down.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nick D wrote:
@skivolo, SnowSun in Ipswich can do them, in fact I'm taking mine there this week Very Happy www.snowsun.com

Ipswich is a bit far me - I got mine done at New Dawn and Dive shop in Woking. Brought my own heat exchanger (bucket of water) but they know what they are doing down there and have their own cooling tank. That said, it happened to be the first avalanche cylinder that they had ever done. I suggested a charge of £10 - they wanted less and I was prepared to pay a lot more to help maintain the service.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try Kent Dive, 5 minutes from the Dartford tunnel. Really helpful & friendly, they have filled mine a couple of times, you just need to fit the O rings yourself
https://www.kentdiving.com/Default.aspx
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dave of the Marmottes, we've used The Boot Lab in Courchevel 1650 for our refills in the past. They've got a shop in Meribel too. It's probably best to email or phone and check to confirm as we've not replaced them for this season yet. See http://www.thebootlab.co.uk
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
juliad wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, we've used The Boot Lab in Courchevel 1650 for our refills in the past. They've got a shop in Meribel too. It's probably best to email or phone and check to confirm as we've not replaced them for this season yet. See http://www.thebootlab.co.uk

I'm sure he has it sorted. The original post was three years ago and resurrected by 1st time poster. Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sussex Scuba in East Grinstead ended up being where I used until they closed the shop. On the look out for another place similarly reliable who doesn't charge the earth.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi. We are Dive Machine based in Tonbridge Kent. and we can and have been filling these cylinders for some time.
If you need fills we can do these for you.
All you need to do is reset you cylinder after it has been fired and it takes us just a few minutes.
Hope this helps you out. http://www.divemachine.co.uk/scuba-diving-equipment/air-gas-nitrox-fills/
snow report
Thanks Robert - I got a fill elsewhere this time but I'll definitely bear you in mind next time.
latest report
No problems Dave. Here to help anytime you need us in the future.
ski holidays
This is a bit of a Bump but I am looking for a fill for my cylinder. I lve in Southampton and thought that Andark Dive could refill for me. They had obviously never seen such a thing and were talking about the cylinder being re-checked as out of spec (in diving terms). They however did try but could not attach their kit.

I am off to Tignes. The BCA website states that Ari'Sports in Tignes Val Claret are stockists but I cannot find an email address or website.
latest report
When i looked in tignes a few years ago nobody filled it. There was a suggestion of a place in val but cant remember the name. I bought a hand pump to manual full it.

think this is the facebook page of the shop Ari sports in tignes https://www.facebook.com/AntarctikSport2000/reviews/?ref=page_internal
snow conditions
Thanks I have messaged them.

What sort of hand pump did you buy and did you need an adaptor to attach to the cylinder? I have no need for a hand pump otherwise so do not wish to invest anymore money.

I have been using the airbag for about 10 trips and thought it was time I tried it out (worked perfectly). Wish I hadn't now.
ski holidays
Try the local paintball center in southampton, i would personally reset the valve before going and ask them to full.

air rifle pump is what you are looking for, there is cheap knock off ones but i picked up a cheap hill mk3 pump on ebay. I used to take it on holiday but tbh its very heavy, i usually pump it up before trip at home and fire of the bag at end of trip......usually after a few beers! this was my solution i came up with a few years ago but technology has moved on since this. a lot of faffing around. Think its a standard air rifle quick release connection.
snow conditions
I purchased a hand pump for £35 from Amazon, it will pump up to 4000psi so plenty capable of filling an Air Cylinder. It takes about 10 - 15 mins of pumping to get a fillup up to 2700psi which is what is needed for the BCA cylinder (well mine anyways). I pack the pump in my ski bag so if i have to empty it or test it i can refill it without any problems.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Estink-Bicycle-Stainless-Pressure-4500PSI/dp/B07KSSZ94F/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=Portable+Foot+Pump%2C+4500PSI+High+Pressure+Air+Pump+with+Pressure+Gauge+Precision+Pressure+Inflator+Pump+3+Stage+Water+Oil+Separator+Function%2C+Ideal+for+Motorcycle+Bike+Kayaks+Balloons&qid=1644571877&sr=8-15&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
Thanks @Bod that may be an option. Are you not concerned about wet air though? May take it to work and do it in an air-conditioned room!
ski holidays
the hill pump has a little air dryer attachment.
snow report
Quote:

Thanks @Bod that may be an option. Are you not concerned about wet air though? May take it to work and do it in an air-conditioned room!

It has a filter and release value to capture moisture.
ski holidays
@Bod, thanks I purchased the pump. Whilst the pumps instructions made no sense it pumped the cylinder up well. Entertained the dog too.
snow report
@hawkesbaynz, I figured it was cheap enough that if it didn't work I hadn't lost much. The reality is it works a treat and I get to test-fire the bag more frequently and not have the worry of having my luggage pulled from the plane and the canister confiscated, as happened at Chambery one year, even though I had all the paperwork and permission from the airline. I pop the pump in my ski bag, so I also no longer have to find a refill centre in the resort when I accidentally let the thing off when connecting the canister and also getting the handle snagged in trees as happened in Tignes one year.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy