Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips, info ideas on training and passing BASI L3

Poster: A snowHead
@skimottaret, glad it's held up for you this week! Last week was glorious. I was stunned at the conditions as I wasn't expecting much from the first week in November, but the fantastic snow, total lack of queues, wall-to-wall sunshine, and jjc_james doing his best to get me to ski well made for a great week on skis.

Your earlier question about skis was insightful, as it was clear than my current Head iTitans aren't quite the right tool for the job where GS is concerned. But nothing compared to my boots, which are waaaay too flexible: in a couple of the videos it looks like I'm skiing telemark as I can flex my boots so much. Ask James to show you if you want a laugh. I'll need to invest in some new gear.

I hope all those who had minor injuries last week have recovered and are back on the hill with you this week.

For anyone thinking of giving GS training a go, it's a lot of fun, though can be frustrating when you're not performing as well as you know you can.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kieranm, new skis and boots, great stuff!! Get the video posted!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't have a copy of the video but there are a few still photos of the group, including me, on JJC Training's facebook page. Sadly that one doesn't show the comic boot flex.

I must confess that the new skis and boots idea slightly scares me, as they will be far less forgiving than my current ones (much stiffer, and much longer radius), and likely to be something of a reality check on my abilities. Plus the added speed isn't something I particular want right now. Having sufficient control on the steeper harder snow to be confident enough to go fast is my current hurdle. It was really interesting to be challenged in a different way and suddenly having to deal with things like the psychological thread that haven't really surfaced in any of my training so far.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kieranm, I know what you mean, I went to stiffer longer GS skis last year and actually enjoyed them, given you ski faster and better than me I think you'll be fine! There are less forgiving that the Titan though, if you get your weight back you know about it!

I went for a 2013 model Völkl Code Speedwall 178 cm for EUR 339.80 in April 2014...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kieranm, can you request the videos or does he have them public anywhere? Genuinely interested in what you did on the course...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kitenski, those volkl's are a great ski for L3 or 4 tech duties but I don't think they are a GS ski... Are they the 19m radius hobbies? A few guys I know were on them last year and really rated them..

@kieranm, go for some stiffer boots, if you were over flexing them with your Titans bad things may happen if you try using them with proper SL or GS skis. I wouldn't be too concerned with buying skis at this point but getting use to a stiff boot will help your general skiing.

Quote:

Having sufficient control on the steeper harder snow

been my problem for a while now and what you had last week was as good as snow gets to to train on, wait for loose snow over ice
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Two of the Ladies ripping it up yesterday in the course.. interesting side by side comparison, do you notice where they each make gains ??

http://www.dartfish.tv/Dispatch.aspx?target=collection&CR=p110818c142704m2837260&sh=li&aid=95368fab-ee99-4695-8e19-4a9bf804c7c0
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skimottaret, fair enough...the blurb says

Quote:
A brand new ski design from Volkl in 2013, the Code Series takes a race inspired carving ski and adds low profile tip and tail rocker for turns on a dime. With the tip and tail rocker reducing effective edge length, the flex of ski can be stiffened for added speed stability. The Code Series features a full wood core reinforced with two sheets of titanium and a Speedwall Sidewall. The Speedwall is constructed of the same material as the base, allowing it to be waxed for an extra boost of speed in high angle turns. Due to the rocker profile, Volkl recommends that these skis be skied 10cm longer than the typical carving ski.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kitenski, dont get me wrong great skis and you will love em but not quite FIS GS skis which are a different kettle of fish to ski on...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am picking this thread up without having read all of the replies.
My advice for BASI 3 and onwards;

Following BASI 2 I skied with high level skiers who had attained or were on their way to attaining level 4. I had been in formal 'training' for level 1 and 2 on a gap course. Having come away from it feeling a bit underwhelmed I never attended any formal training again other than race training.

I trained in NZ for SL and passed the test technique when returning to the alps. My skiing progressed a lot.
Passing the TT meant that I could get a job at the local ESI in our village in France. I worked over 360hrs in my first season and over 400 for every season following that.

Before sitting level 3 I had over 300 teaching hours. I know the next person on my course has maybe 80 but the rest were of course signed off by directors of schools in a certain resort which sees a lot of trainees pass through. To be fair myself and the next most experienced teacher at 80 hours were the strongest in the group for teaching. I was amazed at level 3 on both tech and teach at the lack of knowledge from some (most to be honest) candidates

I would say it is important to have some experience but to be honest just being intelligent and sensible goes a long way. Actually reading the info studying video improving knowledge beyond the CT.

Within your own skiing you need to be objective and understand what strand to work in or what performance threads. Anyone who really understands skiing should not have to be continually trained. So if you understand what to do to improve someone else hopefully you can objectively analyse yourself and make the required changes.

In summary, I passed everything first time through the whole system (3 ET attempts before the pass being the exception) I did not come from a racing background but did not need constant 'BASI' training or otherwise, I find (and showed during my written project for lvl4) that these course are fairly ineffective. Most of my ski time was spent with friends on days off but generally working hard at the ski school and the same before level 4, I had no time to train as I was earning to pay for my exams. A lot of the success in the exams is absorbing what you can where/when you can. Take everything on board from other people.

A prime example was my level 3 mountain safety where only 2/6 passed. The 4 people who failed (other than for attitude) missed out due to avalanche knowledge, this really just comes from reading the course info doing maybe more of your own research on the internet, just taking some real interest! Pay attention to everything and fill the gaps in your knowledge.

Level 3 tech, when I did it most people would fail on bumps. Pass rate was around 50%. Best way I made big changes in bumps after level 2, following higher level and better skiers, with or without poles hands on shoulders or waist etc...3/4 long spring days with lots of crashes and I made a huge change.

As I read above somewhere, ski all conditions and learn to adapt your skiing to what the examiner wants to see.

Good luck with it all Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@R555MAC, thanks for the encouragement.

@skimottaret, boots before skis was my plan too, and I'm well aware that the conditions last week were very flattering so any impression I got of competence is a long way short of where I need to be.

@kitenski, it's that sort of not-quite-GS ski that I was thinking of. I think jumping straight to a full-on-GS ski would not be wise. James recommended these for example: http://www.dynastar.com/GB/GB/course-wc-premium-r21-wc_DAEDB01_product_.html Although the racing is fun I've got to keep in mind that the L3 tech is likely to come much sooner, so I need something that will suit that. My Titans might still do the job, and I favour them in some respects than the longer stiffer skis as bumps is where I know I'll need the most help.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Two of the Ladies ripping it up yesterday in the course.. interesting side by side comparison, do you notice where they each make gains ??

Steep versus flatter section. The one on the left gets a bit late on the gates mid way through the initial steeper section, but then skis much better and makes it all up as the course flattens out.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi KieranM. It was good to ski with you last week, here at Saas-Fee. You were skiing well, I thought.
Regards D
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kieranm, those dynastars are pretty butch skis but worth a try once you get your boots sorted. I have the same ski in a 185 for my ET ski. a lot of guys are using the shorter ones for Tech skis in a 170.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret wrote:
@kitenski, dont get me wrong great skis and you will love em but not quite FIS GS skis which are a different kettle of fish to ski on...

Yeh I did 2 days in Glencoe with them in all sorts of interesting snow then a week in Stuben and definitely liked them!! Noticeably faster and more stable in longs
latest report
kieranm wrote:
@R555MAC, thanks for the encouragement.

@skimottaret, boots before skis was my plan too, and I'm well aware that the conditions last week were very flattering so any impression I got of competence is a long way short of where I need to be.

@kitenski, it's that sort of not-quite-GS ski that I was thinking of. I think jumping straight to a full-on-GS ski would not be wise. James recommended these for example: http://www.dynastar.com/GB/GB/course-wc-premium-r21-wc_DAEDB01_product_.html Although the racing is fun I've got to keep in mind that the L3 tech is likely to come much sooner, so I need something that will suit that. My Titans might still do the job, and I favour them in some respects than the longer stiffer skis as bumps is where I know I'll need the most help.

I think touchguru raves about his Atomic Redster Doubledeck GS that are on the BASI deal, but I'd also say don't think of going back to the Titans for bumps as you'll not know what'll get thrown at you when doing the L3 tech...
snow report
My take on cumulative small things that can help maximise your chances of success:

Getting to resort early to acclimatise and understand the ground you are likely to be working on.
Important if you are UK based as I am.
Judge how hard you ski pre-course as it's a hard week.

Scope out recommendation for very reliable shop for a mid week ski service. Depending on conditions you'll need it, but a poor service could kill the week or loose you 1/2 a day.

Kit. I use Rossi GS8's (80 underfoot, R17) and Freeride boots. It's fair to say that the ski's were becoming a limiting factor by the end of the week in Longs. More appropriate boots would have given more precision but I didn't feel they held me back (so to speak!). We did discuss the current Hero Long Turn with metal as a way forward but I'm unconvinced how that would work with stands other than 'Longs'.

Be prepared to change and adapt your skiing on command*.

Question the trainer so that you fully understand their feedback and exactly how that might convert into your skiing*. What might you feel when it's 'right' ?

"Hang in" on every run. If you get knocked off line, get straight back on line and make the rest of the run as good as it can be.

Let rip, generally I found I was skiing to the limits of my comfort zone. Easier said than done, but have fun, it will show in your performance.

Eat well during the week.

A laptop (and good internet connection) means you can review and check you tube examples of some of the tasks to try and help clarify exactly what's required.

Practice 'visualisation', running the performance through your head to try an ingrain the movements required. Worth practising before hand as it effectively gives you 'free' runs and gives an opportunity to use uplift time should you need. Very valuable in a race setting.

* Probably the key elements.
snow report
Some nice L4 standard turns

http://youtube.com/v/SgrO7Dprl6g
snow conditions
I like how Jon always states the equipment used in his videos and the quality of snow. I would say the shorts terrain wasn't quite steep enough for L4 but he did say it was icy so maybe ok. Not sure anyone would use fat skis on a tech exam though so not sure why he included those clips. He is a good coach, simple and on point.
snow conditions
@skimottaret, yes I did like the fact he took fat skis out for the off piste section, but always nice to see some good video on varying terrain/snow
ski holidays
@kitenski, how is your training going? any courses or exam weeks booked? I have had 5 weeks of GS training so far this year and going out for a tech training week next month. Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

I have had 5 weeks of GS training so far this year and going out for a tech training week next month.

Merry Christmas to you too!
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
@kitenski, how is your training going? any courses or exam weeks booked? I have had 5 weeks of GS training so far this year and going out for a tech training week next month. Toofy Grin

Sadly I've decided it's not going to work for me training for L3 when I have a perfectly good job at the moment, plus a family so it's all on hold, L2 will give me enough to teach in the UK if I ever manage to retire and want some part time work and the occasional European school holiday teaching week or two. I may still do the off piste course though.

I do miss technical training so may try and do some ad hoc stuff, meanwhile I have a week with the family at half term and a boys skinning/staying in huts trip planned for March
snow report
Wouldn't that video be more representative on a single pair of skis's ? Most candidates will not be able to choose from a quiver on the hill.
ski holidays
@AndAnotherThing.., I guess that is why he has entitled it Interpretation......
ski holidays
@kitenski, Sorry to hear that it isn't for you but maybe take the odd BASI course instead of a refresher to keep your options open?
snow report
@kitenski, on your Volkl code skis can you let me know what the Delta Angle (mm difference between toe height and heel height) is on them? I am considering a pair for all rounders but see they have a rail binding system.
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
@kitenski, on your Volkl code skis can you let me know what the Delta Angle (mm difference between toe height and heel height) is on them? I am considering a pair for all rounders but see they have a rail binding system.

How the heck do I find that out/measure it?? Mine are the 2013 year
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you click in a boot measure the distance from the base of ski up to the bottom of the boot at the ball of the foot area (where the boot sits on the AFD) and the heel. The delta is the difference between the toe and heel height in mm's. usually most bindings are 2-6mm heel high.

I like a zero delta mainly as I have long boots, long legs and am tall...
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
If you click in a boot measure the distance from the base of ski up to the bottom of the boot at the ball of the foot area (where the boot sits on the AFD) and the heel. The delta is the difference between the toe and heel height in mm's. usually most bindings are 2-6mm heel high.

I like a zero delta mainly as I have long boots, long legs and am tall...

I understand your preference for zero delta but not convinced about being tall as the main reasoning. I'm far from tall and also think I prefer no delta on bindings. I've skied on zero delta indoors for the last 18months but have just come back from the first trip where I've used zero delta on GS skis, and am sticking with it for the time being. I find it is noticeably easier to get carving reaction from the front of the skis (to match reaction from the mid-tail) but slightly harder to skate through slow turns at the start.

Any idea on the range of deltas on the footboard of boots?
snow conditions
Hey Stu, I think most people I know who have had their for aft balance tested typically prefer zero binding delta. I mention height as it has a bigger impact if you are outside the norms (have long legs, long or short boots, height etc...) Most boots have a bit of internal delta 1-3 degree springs to mind but this only really sets the angle of you ankle joint and isn't as critical to balance as external delta..
latest report
@skimottaret, very interesting on the balance testing that most prefer flat, and agree that your height could magnify a discrepancy.

I've been out to check my old Atomic race skis from when I originally stopped ET'ing 12 years ago and the delta looks close to flat on those too. Been struggling the last few years to find form in GS, and now I have something other than my since acquired lardiness to blame Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@skimottaret, I think it's 2mm. I measured based of ski to bottom of boot at AFD at 44mm then bottom of ski to heel of boot at 46mm
snow report
cheers that is good to know... I quite like the spec on the Blue version CODE SPEEDWALL S UVO which is 74 underfoot. I normally hate rail bindings as too much slop in the mechanisms but they look fairly solid and 2mm I can deal with...

might have to rent a pair and give em a whirl
latest report
Unrelated to delta angles, but still relevant to L3 training, I've found this set of articles from stronglifts.com very useful recently. Although I've been taught to squat, deadlift, etc. with proper form in the past, and can get pointers from the trainers at the gym, I'm very keen to keep my technique spot on to keep it safe and avoid injury, so they serve as a useful reminder. A side benefit is that by making small corrections to technique the exercises themselves become easier and I'm able to lift more weight.

This is the one for squats, the others should be easy to navigate to: http://stronglifts.com/squat/
latest report
@skimottaret, the s is the shorter slalom type version isn't it?
snow report
Well I thought so but a mate was on them and turns out very similar to the Green ones just a touch narrower and turnier.. looks on paper to be the same construction and for me a better spec...

S version 180 18.1 122_74_104
L version 178 18.6 122_76_105
ski holidays
@skimottaret, interesting!! The BASS guys in Morzine put me onto them as a good all rounder, that mid 70s waist is going to help for variables. Keep an eye on ebay, I got a cracking deal from Austria on an end of season model in early summer!!
snow report
ok 2016/17 season bump!!

@kieranm, did you get new boots and how are they?

@skimottaret are you doing any ET training? Swanky new Dynastar skis must be worth a few seconds Wink

I am thinking I will do my mountain safety this year but that is about it on the training front. I last read maps 20 years ago so will need to do some practise I guess!!

@balernoStu, way back you asked what other indoor domes do on moguls. This is what Castleford does. I think the cat makes the mounds in a staggered fashion then they skier mold them a bit...

snow report
@kitenski, That's pretty impressive cat driving.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy