Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

P is for Porridge

Poster: A snowHead
Heavy, stodgy snow.

Plat du Jour at all Scottish Ski Centres, available most of the time. In fact it is the Fiacaill Ridge's Signature Dish.
Served au naturel on a bed of heather with a side salad of rock and garnished with incompetent skier.

Porridge should be heavy, stodgy and wet, and is always served cold. So called, apparently "because ye eat it"
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Porridge should also be eaten with sugar or honey - not salt !
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or Pottage in France.................
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Made from oats - the staple food of horses in England and people in Scotland. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
laundryman, get real. Everyone knows the Scottish staple is deep fried Mars bars. The more health-minded Scotsman may opt for the deep fried Snickers, or deep fried pizza. I may have dreamed it, but I've a feeling the chippy in Fort William does deep fried haggis. It certainly does the first three. Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Paul Mason wrote:
Porridge should also be eaten with sugar or honey - not salt !

Porridge should only be eaten with salt. Sugar and honey is for those folk living in Englandshire!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jb1970, yeah, and I bet you make it with water and not milk you tight Jock?!!! wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IncogSkiSno wrote:
jb1970, yeah, and I bet you make it with water and not milk you tight Jock?!!! wink

Absolutely!! I seriously wouldn't know how to make it with milk. Water and salt.

On the subject of tight jocks.... well that's for another forum entirely!!! wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jb1970, Laughing
ski holidays
 Darky
Darky
Whats with the salt and water for porridge, it`s gross!!! rolling eyes No offence, hehehe, Semi-skimmed milk is the best.... snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Porridge- rancid crap that people believe will make them ski better etc etc, eaten by people who want to annoy chalet staff by requesting it at 8:51am
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nadenoodlee, ye should hae made it at least the night before. Poured it intae a drawer and let it set. Ye jist hack off lumps when yer unsuspecting punters ask for some.... they'll ainly dae it the wance. wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kuwait_ian, Yee may gan faur eh fair waur
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Semi-skimmed milk is the best....

And the difference between that and water would be...? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
.... Colour. And thats about it.
I can't understand why people buy semi skimmed. I've always drunk raw live milk (which in its ex-cow state is still only 4% fat, compared to semi which is 2%) and its great as it actually tastes of something. Makes porridge a viable breakfast option to boot. wink
snow report
paulmck, not a water and salt man then? Confused
snow report
I use 2 parts semi skimmed milk - ½ part water - 1 part oats
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno wrote:
I use 2 parts semi skimmed milk - ½ part water - 1 part oats
(the remainder of IncogSkiSno's recipe reads)... and then cook slowly on a high temperature while posting on snowHeads. On the sounds of the smoke alarm remove from heat, check that saucepan contents are black, crispy and charcoal-like otherwise reheat until this effect is achieved.
snow report
Ray Zorro, haha Laughing Or we could follow Masque's recipe and leave in the microwave until it is burnt and stuck to the sides of the microwave Laughing
snow report
IncogSkiSno, Laughing yes Masque's recipe is probably the most expensive. Replacing your microwave every time you have breakfast would soon empty the bank account.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
40g oats, 200g semi skimmed, full power for 3 minutes.

Make sure it's a big bowl cos it expands a lot while cooking !

Add salt to taste. Sugar as well if you like but always have the salt.
latest report
Masque, I think not! If it doesn't fir your arteries, its not worth eating...
snow report
I always thought that real porridge had to be made with water and salt, if it's made with milk or cream then isn't it oatmeal, like they have in America.
snow conditions
Kramer, AND they put bluddy cinnaaanmmmonn in it!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never let an australian make it! His idea to thicken it was to add more oats! Shocked we couldve stuck bricks together with it!
snow report
Kramer, if there's no milk/cream isn't that gruel?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Kramer, in Scotland, oatmeal is ground oats as opposed to rolled ones (like Scott's porage oats). You can make porridge out of either, but oatmeal takes longer and doesn't really work in the microwave.

The tradition of making it with water was purely down to economy I think. It's certainly better made with milk (my Gran is birling in her grave as I type that Laughing ).
snow report
Milk and Cream and GOlden Syrup- makes its just about edible!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Try chopping up a 'nana and throwin it it whilst cooking, serve with runny honey. The ultimate slow release energy breaky!
Very Happy
ski holidays
RyDay wrote:
Try chopping up a 'nana and throwin it it whilst cooking, serve with runny honey. The ultimate slow release energy breaky!
Very Happy
As I am a newbie, you might see that I just posted on a forum that last had a post half a year ago. And it was about porridge. Great stuff! Embarassed
snow conditions
RyDay, welcome to snowHeads snowHead (or should that be foodHeads Puzzled ) wink
ski holidays
RyDay, I hope you meant naan - not Nana Shocked wink

& welcome to snowHead
snow report
Has to be made with semi skimmed milk, knob of butter and some golden syrup ! Lovely!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy