Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are you fit?

Poster: A snowHead
And i don't mean in the looks department!

I got this book from Inghams - Fit To Ski - not overly impressed with it, but I got it on the premise when I booked my holiday I would be in top form ( i go in 2 weeks)

Unsurprisngly i'm not, I'm in as good a shape as I've ever been but hardly as fit as I had hoped!

Do many of you try hard to get fit before going away? Or are you fitness freaks anyway?!

(i cant stand the idea of running on a treadmill with 20 other sweaty people)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eddyr, the brain says go to the gym and get fit, the body says sleep / work / eat
lack motivation... Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
erm..no in short - I was going jogging twice a week (for last 2 months) and I have been using the stairs at work (8 floors, a couple of times a week) but havent managed it this week..AT base I'm just too lazy...

aj xx
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cor yeah - can't wait to get to Austria to STUFF MY FACE

WHo needs excercise anyway, you ski downhill afterall.... snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
im not fat i woudlnt say, but hardly as fit as i want to b, tend to work on my upper body and abs, coz thats wot girls tend to notice Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The idea that you can start training a few months out for a ski trip and then do nothing until two months before the next is doooooomed to failure. Training has to be a regular part of your life all year round period.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

coz thats wot girls tend to notice

Yeah, they're thinking that bloke's out of proportion.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am so fit it hurts.....
I also eat organic....

snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I do think some specific ski fit type training before you ski really helps - there is a video on Amazon "Ski Fit"... by an American woman. Once you can get over the fact you feel you are in a dog training class (Good JOB! is her fave phrase) she has some really useful exercises. perhaps 2 weeks is pushing it, but 2 months, 2 or 3 times a week and it really does work out all the right bits! Might be a bit girly for you macho types though - but you can always console yourself by looking at her array of fab 90s outfits..

Can't get it on DVD, though, which is a bit of a downer.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
contrary to what alot of people might think and bearing in mind i snowboard, i dont think you necessarily need to be mega fit for skiing from a cardiovascular point of view, i think what you probably would benefit from would be to build your quad muscles (thighs) and subsequently this will strengthen and build up muscle around your knees (which i imagine will get hammered!!!!) there`s various exercises for doing this , squats, leg extentions, leg press, lunges (if you google leg muscle exercises there will be a site to explain each exercise or maybe if you go on mens health magazine website i`m sure they`ll have a feature on structured training for skiing) however with you only being 2 weeks out i`m not sure if you`ll get too much benefit.
what i would recommend though, is stretching off your leg muscles shortly after you`ve finished skiing for the day and eating a protein and carbohydrate meal (spag bol for example) the protein (meat) will help repair muscle tissue you damage (which is the soreness you experience after you`ve trained (the day after usually!!!) and the carb (pasta) will replenish the calories you`ve burned off whilst skiing.
If all that fails just drink sixteen pints of lager and a couple of bottles of red and you wont feel any pain other than your head in the morning !!!!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Strange really, when I first started skiing in 2001, I was training 14+ hours a week to compete in triathlons. On my first skiing holiday I was ultrafit but wore myself out trying to get down blue runs in Whistler. Last holiday, with about a month's training following a bike accident during the summer, I coped with eay blacks without to much effort. Just goes to show that unless you're Bode or the Hermanator, good technique is far more important that physical fitness.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been going to the gym 3 times a week but had a bit of a lazy summer and laid low with lurgy this week.
I'm hoping all the hard work will pay off big time this year if the knee doesn't wear out first (making some strange noises)

Its always a struggle to keep it going around Christmas and New Year but the thought of seeing the nice Polish girl on the treamill again is an incentive Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Clive, so true...

rich, so true (girls on treadmills anyway)

I tried really hard again this year but without the Inferno as added incentive have been crap since September. No running home at night, fewer gym sessions, etc.

However, I walk 35 mins to and from work at a bracing pace. Nothing, but nothing else I have done has had so noticeable a difference. Noticed it mid-season last year when I first started, noticed again a week ago in Val d'Isere.

A chum is ex-England squad and a darn fine skier. She maintains that 2 hours a day across the dales with a brace of labradors is all you need to lap the Wall in Avoriaz (I know, technically it's in Les Crosets) 8 times non-stop top to bottom. I've seen her do it and man, I belieeeeve...notwithstanding that her technique, although a little '80's' is very efficient.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I usually keep a good base fitness throughout the year (ie running 9 miles home from work at least once a week, cycling 60-80 miles on my road bike with a group of racers every two weeks at least, gym and spinning sessions in between).

But I don't do as much weights work as I used to and this year I have noticed that my core strength (ie abs and lower back) is not as good as it has been previously - maybe just getting old? So this year I have spent the last few weeks doing various exercises with dumbells at home to improve core and upper body strength as well as lunges, squats etc for the legs. As a snowboarder, core strength is vital to hold the correct position throughout the day, especially as I like doing spins now and so do lots of upper body twisting (plus the odd slam!).

I am on the slopes in 6 days and so the specific weights may be a little late but I feel a lot better and stronger for it already and so it has definitely done some good. Never too late to top up.

But as said above, good technique reduces the reliance on fitness and strength.

(PS - when first typing this I wrote "lunges" as "lunches" - freudian slip, perhaps??! rolling eyes )
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm horribly unfit right now, I've been battling depression the last couple of years and it's been hard enough keeping going without keeping up with a fitness regime. To be honest skiing 3 days and then taking one day off to just laze around the hotel is probably exactly what I need. I'll be huffing and puffing my way around thuogh. Sad
snow conditions
Check out the this excellent sports fitness site: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/skiing.htm

I once read an article on here which concluded that increasing your fitness level made no difference to your skiing ability. The only thing which helped was skiing more. To be fair, the article was based on good skiiers who probably had a decent level of fitness already.
ski holidays
I am fitter than a bloke from fit land who has been in training for fitness for years.
ski holidays
Quote:

running on a treadmill with 20 other sweaty people
My treadmill only has room for one, and only gets used during the despondent depths of winter when I can't get outside for exercise in the working week.Clive, you're so right.
I did find 5 days of thigh deep powder last year pretty knackering and I reckon I'm quite fit with quite good technique, but maybe not good enough
latest report
Alexandra, I know how hard it can be to get motivated, but regular exercise does help depression. Try to force yourself to go even when you don't want to, but don't be too hard on yourself if you miss a session. Also, start with something managable, e.g. swim for 10 mins, and increase it when you're ready. Good luck!
snow report
Alexandra, I was just about to post the same advice as xyzpaul. Exercise keeps the happy hormones flowing and it gives a sense of purpose and achievement as your body gets fitter over time. You might want to use a personal trainer initially to point you in the right direction. Good luck from me too.
ski holidays
I'm fit and raring to go just like an athlete I try and peak for my skiing trips! Seriously I think the pro skiers are really fit, didn't Alan Baxter win or come second in BBC's Superstars?

Martin Nicholas, of course altitude really makes everything harder too and using different muscles to normal exercise can really tire you unless you have one of those ski simulator exercisers at home! snowHead
latest report
I used to play lots of football, matches Sat and Sun and training 2 - 3 times a week and was pretty fit and very strong. However the pain I suffered whilst skiing was at times intolerable as I began to swim in a sea of lactic acid. Having stopped football four years ago and its related training, I decided to invest in a lot of ski lessons as the problem must have been one of poor technique.

It has most definately worked. I've just recently turned 40, drink more and began to smoke but my skiing is pain free and so much easier in any terrain you care to throw at me.

Its clear you need good base fitness but combine it with constant tuition, you're never to good to stop learning.
ski holidays
Thanks guys, I do take exercise (I have a horse) and I know it's supposed to be good for depression... but believe me my back bottom is'not going in anyone's public pool! Blush
snow report
One motivational tip about gym attendance - if you "just don't feel like it", then its OK to go along to the gym and just have a shower.

Effort has been made, routine has been maintained, and even if your body has had the day from hell, you will apparently still generate some of the endorphines that come with feeling good abour yourself.

Of course, doing it 3 times a week for a year probably doesn't help...
latest report
Ken Lingwood, don't mean to cause offence but... you started to smoke at 40? Are you mad? Puzzled
latest report
JimW that's a good idea, I'd never thought of that. Particularly since making the effort just to get yourself to the gym is really the first barrier (for me at least). Get yourself there without having to face the effort of the workout, and then knowing me I'd probably go and do at least a light session since I was there and changing anyway.

Now I just need a way to find more time.... Confused
snow report
I normally up my game around October and once I've broken the back of running sessions its quite easy to want to go everyday.
I think little and often is better than one big knackering run and recovery is the key...

One thing though you will get more from running if you treat your legs to prep work 3 or so works prior to running. I do this with weights

As long as you can take a degree of fitness rather than fatigue into the next day's skiing you are on the right track IMO
latest report
AlexF, no offence taken as it's one of my more stupid ideas that I'll stop very soon.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think if you are moderatly healthy and active, then you can get away with it. It's very easy to ski or board without expending too much effort... but if you want to rock and roll then you need to at least get your muscles used to some exercise before going.

What has regularly caused heated discussions on my trips has been those people bemoaning the aches and pains and blaming it on the skiing or boarding- this from people who have done zero exercise and hence the pain is simply due to them actually asking their muscles to do some work !
snow conditions
My body is a temple.....
latest report
I"ve always found lots of wine to be had in temples...
snow conditions
I have to say I never found skiing tiring..... other are out of breath and complaining about burning legs..... I get nothing worse than the odd sore foot Puzzled
snow conditions
Fat as a very fat thing I'm afraid. Sad
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, wink wink wink
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, its more like a pyramid than a temple. wink
latest report
Alexandra, & Frosty the Snowman, And in Temple Bar too......... Toofy Grin
snow report
I am not nearly as fit as I want to be basically because I am lazy. Am signed up for the gym but is exptremely difficult to get me to actually go to it!!!!!
ski holidays
Alexandra, I have had personal experience of this exercise really does help you feel better, I know it's hard to push yourself to go to the gym or whatever but it really helps. I also know how horrible depression is, so good luck and keep smiling!!
Jules xx
snow conditions
Well now its Christmas, I think its fair to say I'm stuffed (as it were)

Never a time known for moderation on the eating front!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy