Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone found a cool (i.e., not hot) helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all!

I've just returned from skiing and I again found myself overheating - my Sweet Trooper helmet is light but not well ventilated and when I remove it at lunch or end of day it steams, my head is soaked and it doesn't matter if the outside temperature is -21C or -1C (both encountered last week).

Has anyone found a helmet that has better ventilation, keeps the scalp cool or cooler?

Anyone else found the Sweet Trooper (see http://www.sweetprotection.com/ski-snowboard/helmets-protection/?p=trooper&pid=722#4572 for current version) too hot?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PS Anyone any experience of wearing the "new" integrated vizor and helmet combos? Are they cooler around the face? do they really give better visibility/view?

These might remove one other bugbear - my goggles getting wet around the foam edge (from my sweaty head and face - yes I really do work that hard and sweat that much thank you!) and then dripping internally ...

There are some pretty expensive and possibly too-much like a fighter pilot look for my taste but ... see http://www.cp-fashionatsports.com/en/helmets/ for the ultimate in expensive helmets
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My POC Skull Lite still makes my head steam when I take it off, but at least I can't wring out the liners like I could with my old ProTec or RED lids. I generate a lot of heat when I ride and I've always found that it's not so much the number of ventilation holes that counts, but getting good airflow through the helmet that works.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you tried wearing less clothes? I have a Sweet Trooper and it only gets sweaty on 10°+ spring days. If you're sweating so hard that your goggles are getting saturated I think you have more problems than jsut the helmet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't think you will ever get brilliant cooling/ventilation with a 'fixed' shell helmet.. You will need to look at one with big sliding vents, l had a Giro Omen in the past which unfortunately is not longer made. Something similar like this Salomon might do the job http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/allium-c--air.html

The visor/helmet combo's tend to be targeted as a solution for glasses wearers. The people I have seen wearing them off piste, just ended up with a face full of snow under the visor.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard S - Harsh! Very Happy If I wore any less clothes I can end up cold .. or being arrested for indecency!

Thin base layer and thin sweater is all I wear under my jacket ... I could be lighter it's true but always tended to sweat a lot in whatever clothes/exercise/sport no matter what weight or fitness state I'm in ... I like to think I'm an "over-efficient cooler" Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had a similar issue for spring skiing, and there are two which I found had loads of vents (but sadly didn't fit me properly) which are the Giro 10 (vents everywhere) and Dianese Air Soft (loads of vents across the top)

The other thing which might help with sweat and goggles is a good vent in the front above your eyes - it allows some to evaporate through that hole, and gets cool air in to stop your forehead getting bad.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ashridge wrote:
Richard S - Harsh! Very Happy If I wore any less clothes I can end up cold .. or being arrested for indecency!

Thin base layer and thin sweater is all I wear under my jacket ... I could be lighter it's true but always tended to sweat a lot in whatever clothes/exercise/sport no matter what weight or fitness state I'm in ... I like to think I'm an "over-efficient cooler" Very Happy

With you there. Atomic Xeed and Giro Seam are the two best vented and comfortable I've worn. Seam seemed better at stopping goggles steaming up as well. I have recently broken my Seam to will have a new one to test till I see another bargain Seam.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Atomic nomad is good I had no probs with it found the venting system works well
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mammut alpine rider is very light and cool. I used it on a load of bootpacks recently and didn't know I had it on.
Aimed mainly at tourers so not as chunky as most helmets and seems to lack some substance in the lower rear skull area, but mammut normally know what they are doing...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RED skycap - its got vents across the top but there are also front and rear apertures that can be closed of very cold, or open to allow a good airflow through when you are getting hot.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My Salomon Ranger has vents which can be opened and closed. I usually leave mine open.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm using a Salomon air, good fit, and I can control the vents, so no overheating.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This may seem like a silly idea, but if ski helmets are too sweaty, but could you maybe try a cycling helmet, MTB or road? They tend to have a lot more holes in and are designed to protect you if you hit teh raod so surely they are up to the job? Some have removeable peaks too.
chainreactionccycles have a massive selection online.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cycle helmets are TOO porous and although I wear one when I cycle and hit 40mph sometimes I'd rather have a proper ski helmet when skiing not least as it's easy to go faster and to be honest, I think cycle helmets are a joke above 15mph.

Anyone who has ever seen the after effects of a cyclist impacting car or lamppost or similar will know what I mean ... so nice idea, but I'd not recommend it and it will also be TOO cold I suggest.
latest report
I recently bought a new helmet, Atomic Mentor, and is much much cooler than my previous Rossignol helmet.
snow report
I also suffer from an overheating head and eventually found one that kept it at the right temperature without getting cold...

I have the POC BUG helmet, however the POC Receptor is built exactly the same way...

Am really happy and now no longer suffer from an overheating sweating head!
ski holidays
 Robert85
Robert85
I think Salomon helmets are the best Very Happy
snow report
Ashridge wrote:

Is that an insulated jacket? In normal temperatures (above -10 or so) you (or at least I!) shouldn't really need a sweater AND an insulated jacket. If it's a shell jacket then yeah, I guess there's not much you can do about it.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Ashridge wrote:

Is that an insulated jacket? In normal temperatures (above -10 or so) you (or at least I!) shouldn't really need a sweater AND an insulated jacket. If it's a shell jacket then yeah, I guess there's not much you can do about it.
I wear a base layer and a jacket (insulated jacket if its -20c or so, and just a windproof jacket if its not as cold), and I can get hot with a helmet, which is why I use one with adjustable vents.
latest report
Smith Vantage would be my recommendation, light and plenty ventilation
latest report
http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/variancewht15.jpg

I've got a Smith Variance - big vents on top with sliding shutters - works well. I leave them open unless it is absolutely frigid
latest report
+1 Smith helmet. I like the vents, and the option to have internal headphones! Pinky
ski holidays
Giro helmet + Smith goggles with vent across top
snow report
Giro helmet + Smith goggles with vent across top
snow report
Quote:

It's a modern lined jacket (Kjus) and trousers with a wicking base layer and then a thin merino jumper/sweatshirt over the top. I only feel cold when stopped on windy chairlifts or sitting still outside for a long time.
ski holidays
Another recommendation of the Smith Vantage - the vents can easily be opened at just the front, just the back, all open or all closed, and part way in between. Never had any heat issues and combined with Smith I/O goggles they have never steamed up too. Very light and low profile too.
latest report
I have a Giro helmet.
A lot more comfortable than I thought wearing a helmet would be. Never been too warm yet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for Smith Vantage, lots of control in the vents and can be easily adjusted on the move with gloves on.
ski holidays
+1 for Smith vantage, mine kept my head at a nice even temperature in both hot and cold conditions, if you do tend to get a sweaty head, this has looooads of ventilation. Also, vents at the front are designed to integrate with my smith googles too Very Happy
snow conditions
My Smith helmet is noticeably cooler than the Salomon Ranger it replaced.
ski holidays
Many thanks one and all - much appreciated and today I am now the proud owner of a new Dainese Air Soft Powder Helmet- see http://www.dainese.com/en_en/air-soft-powder-1652.html

I chose this due to the large honeycomb segment over the top and am pleased to say it appears to be much cooler due to the better ventilation.

Nicely made and finished, quite light, soft liner that is a snugger fit that my previous Sweet Helmet - has removeable ear pads, a little pull-tab on the chin strap to release which is nice and all in all I'm pleased ... a lot cheaper as well!

One drawback that has occurred to me is that one cannot mount a GoPro camera on top of the helmet so I wonder how lopsided it will feel if mounted on the side! Oh well ... can't have everything!

Thanks all!
latest report
PS I bought it from Surfdome who delivered it quickly, well packed and at a very attractive price due to a sale/discount!
snow report
I have POC Frontal helmet and never had any issues despite skiing long days from December to April. It has 6 vents in 3 zones so when they are open the air flow is constant.
ski holidays
I have been using a Giro mountain bike helmet this winter, use a buff if its too cold to keep head and ears warm and very cool with plenty ventilation. IT covers the top and back of the head well, it wont give you the same level of protection of a "p-pot" helmet mind?
ski holidays
My old Scott helmet made me sweat buckets but my new helmet keeps me warm or cool dependent on the weather and has a great venting system. Its the Salomon Alium C Air helmet and this season I've skied in temps of about -15 to +17 and it was brilliant in both instances! I love the way the (many) vents cans be easily opened and closed.
snow conditions
K2 Route - More ventilation holes than a piece of swiss cheese . . . . .also mega lightweight, comes with a fabric cover if you get too cold! Check your goggles though as some do not fit snuggly at the top
latest report
Interesting thread, albeit from April. So I've got a similar problem, I'm on the hunt for a new helmet which is really well ventilated. I have a Giro nine.10 at the moment which fits really well but the soft shell has been damaged accidently. Its also not really cool enough for me, and that with all the vents fully open and no ear flaps.

Based on this thread I quite like the look of the Smith Vantage MIPS, its quite pricey but it gets positive reviews. The problem with all reviews however is its all very subjective, what is well ventilated to one person isn't to another.

Last couple of times I've been to Xscape I've tried it without a helmet and to be honest its the most comfortable I've ever been whilst skiing (heat wise) so while it seems like a backward step I'm even considering not bothering with a helmet at all.
snow conditions
Smith Vantage - so well vented your head can get cold. I'm... ahem...not particularly slim and can work up a hell of a sweat and never suffered from a hot head skiing with it on.
snow report
Yes there you go. I only wear one when its cold or snowing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy