Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone found a cool (i.e., not hot) helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
An instructor had a Alpina Grap, which was very light and had lots of ventilation. It was Easter and quite warm on two of the days. He seemed fine (but then he probably wasn't working as hard as me!).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Salomon Brigade / Atomic Troop as its the same helmet.

I've been using the brigade for about five years now and I've never had an issue with sweat even in 26c days in Austria in the spring when it was hot enough to ski in a t shirt.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I got a poc receptor backcountry mips this year as my previous lid was too hot. I love you there is a removable lining to open huge vents and an extra lining you can remove to make it eve cooler.

They are mighty cheap on shade station too at the moment!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Russeh, Another vote for Smiths helmets. Vent system works really well.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got a Giro Seam, never had a problem setting temperature just right with the venting system.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think my next port of call is to go try on a Smith Vantage see how that goes. Giro helmets always seam to be the best fit for me but with give the vantage a go.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sweet protection helmets are excellent quality, but not light. The trooper is 650 g. One of the heavier helmets on the market. My Giro Edit is 375 g, which was a key criteria for me. It gets good reviews for ventilation. I also get hot skiing but not my head.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So I've bought a Smith Vantage, pretty pleased with it only time will tell if its cooler or not. Having compared it to my old one I've concluded my old helmet is slightly too small for me which probably hasn't helped.

Only downside to the vantage is the ear parts are a bit of a faff to remove, put back on. Although that shouldn't be an issue has I've only ever needed to ware them once in the last 4 years .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Smith lids seems to be nice and cool, but like others have mentioned, I'd also think about what you're wearing in terms of layer.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Smith Maze is a cool to cold helmet as well
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RichClark wrote:
Smith lids seems to be nice and cool, but like others have mentioned, I'd also think about what you're wearing in terms of layer.

I usually wear a breathable insulated jacket with just a t-shirt under it. On really colds days t shirt becomes ice breaker. I've got a berghaus shell that I'm going to give a go instead of the insulated jacket but its not really a ski one.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Russeh, I used to have an insulated North Face jacket and I could never get my temp right, even before I used to wear and helmet. I now have a Marmot shell.

Most of my skiing is around feb/march, and I'm generally happy in a long sleeved merino base layer and a shell jacket. I'm occasionally a bit chilly on a slow chair, but never when I'm skiing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@RichClark, think I'm going to have to look at something similar. in hindsight I should have gone with a shell
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I tend to just use my ME Changabang hard shell then usually just aldi merino tshirts under it, splashed out on some of their pro merino last year for cold days! I might add an ice breaker long sleeved top and/or a lightweight down jacket (one of the ones that will pack into a stuff sack small enough to go into the Changabang's pocket if it warms up) on really cold days.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I found the ultimate answer to many questions about the Ultimate Helmet, just recently at the Snow show in Albany NY. An Italian company finally is represented in the US and Canada. Slokker Sports makes a great super lightweight, great looking, and extremely comfortable ski/ride helmet with a fully integrated photo-chromatic ( the best, never change goggle again) and polarized goggle. It has 12 adjustable vents, and I never had anything that fit so well, and also goes over my glasses perfectly ( if you happen to wear glasses) . It wasn't the cheapest helmet, but it is the best. I checked with friends in Germany and Switzerland and they love this helmet, and said it is the hottest seller in Europe last year. Hard to still find in the US, but they said at the show they are now available on their internet store (slokkersports), and will be in certain ski/board shops this season in limited supplies. They were also going to get going with Amazon if you search slokker helmets.
snow conditions
Atomic nomad is good
latest report
Smith gear (Lids and Goggles) on Sportspursuit right now
snow report
So maybe there is now a guaranteed solution to misting/fogging goggles - I've now come across two makes that are launching electrically heated lenses that clear the fog away in 30 seconds. Not cheap - £200+ - but they seem like the perfect solution.

a) Abom - a new company set up specifically making their heated goggles - see www.abom.com - one review says they're big and heavy as the battery is built into the goggle frame and so press on your nose too much.

b) Oakley - their Line Miner goggles can have as an option the Inferno heated Prizm lens - see http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/goggles/snow-goggles/line-miner-prizm-snow-goggle/product/WGOO7070PZ?skuCode=OO7070-26 - here the battery is on the strap so less bulk/weight in the frame.

These are not launched or available yet in the UK - but the Oakleys will be soon through major ski shops.

Anyone tried either of these in the US where they are available last season?
snow report
Ashridge wrote:
One drawback that has occurred to me is that one cannot mount a GoPro camera on top of the helmet so I wonder how lopsided it will feel if mounted on the side! Oh well ... can't have everything!

Well at least you'll no longer look like a Teletubby..... wink

Seriously though, I'm glad that you've found a more comfortable helmet to wear. As others have said Giro helmets tend to have good ventilation (my first helmet was a Giro 9) but being a spectacle wearer who often had problems when wearing goggles due to fogging up I switched the other year to a Bollé visor type helmet which also has good ventilation slots on the top.
snow report
So an update! The Dainese helmet lasted approx. 10 weeks of skiing over the last two seasons and I retired it as the ear pads kept dropping out, the liner looked a bit tired but the main reason was the hard black plastic spike at the back to retain the giggle strap broke off!

I suspect it hardened and became brittle in -24C in US!!!

Following advice above I tried and bought the Smith Vantage - VERY pleased with it! I nearly bought the Giro Zone helmet but despite MIPS, GoPro mount built in and other nice features, it just didn't have enough vents and it seemed very large and heavy.

Vantage has kept me cool, and teamed with the new Oakley LineMiner Prism Inferno heated lens goggles - no more misting up! Well if fogging does occur a quick zap of heat and it's cleared.

Skiing's so much better when one can see where one is going! Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy