Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alp D'huez Instructor Recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We have a group trip for 11 of us planned for March 2016. There are 8 beginners and 3 advanced.

The initial thoughts are to book a private instructor for the 8 beginners so does anyone have any suggestions? 1 of them might snowboard so group snowboard lessons reccomendations would be useful.

As well we would be interested in a guide/instructor for an easy off piste day or two.

We are also looking at an introductory session at hemel prior to going.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi. A small British school, Masterclass, is often recommended on here for Alpe D'Huez ski lessons - run by Mel and Stuart - but I don't think they generally take complete beginners. However, if your group were to learn the basics at Hemel first (which sounds like a good idea anyway), it may be possible to use them, and from what I remember, they can be quite flexible with timings, etc. I had small group lessons with Stuart on my first ever skiing holiday a couple of years ago, but I'd had lessons and quite a bit of practice at Chill Factore before I went, so was OK on greens/easy blues by that point. My lessons with Masterclass were great. Sorry, no idea about snowboard lessons or off piste!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@wam15, yes Google Masterclass Alpe D'Huez and see if you like the look of their offering. They could probably point you in the direction of a guide as well, which would be good as there's some nice off piste runs in the right conditions.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for masterclass. We had separate lessons in January one with my fiancée who has lost her confidence and is all be a beginner again, and I had some lessons to improve. I've had lots of tuition since I started skiing and these guys rank among the best from personal experience.

I think as @catclaires, suggested - get the beginners to have few lessons in a snow dome first so at least they get the basics and don't spend there first few days on the nursery slope. At Xscape its about £60 for the first few lessons.

http://www.masterclass.f9.co.uk/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When my brother comes over he uses this guy;
Sebastien Ballereau
Ecole de ski Stance snow
Alpe d'Huez
Ski-Snowboard-Telemark
www.stance-snow.com
+33 608 108 964

I've joined in for a couple of lessons and all was good so recommended.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've used Seb at Stance a few times - he's very good, and I had some of the most useful off-piste advice from him. Nice guy too. I know some beginners who used Stance (not Seb) also, and they were very happy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rather late jumping in on this thread, but another vote for Masterclass, 4 of us (mixed abilities) had a few lessons with Stuart in February this year, I can honestly say it was the best teaching I have known, we all really improved. Very likeable older chap, easy to get on with, and very patient.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry for the delay in answering we went with masterclass in the end. However one of the beginners would.like to board so does anyone have some snow boarding recommendations?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just thought I would update this. We went with lessons from masterclass for the beginners and from all reports they were amazing!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for Masterclass. I consider myself a very advanced skier* but decided to have a private lesson to brush up on technique. I had a lesson with Jim and he gave me a few points to work on. I felt like I was skiing a lot more smoothly afterwards and was getting a much better bite on my edges so I would recommend them for any level of skier.

(*brag alert Smile )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for Masterclass too. I know the holiday has passed for the OP but thought I'd put a comment of for anyone searching in future. We also had Jim as our instructor.

We are a family of 4 with varying levels of ability with my daughter on greens in parallel most of the time but very slow and still snowplowing when nervous through to me who's ok on reds but not great technique.

We did a week of private lessons and although slightly more than other schools worth every penny. By the end of the holiday we were all on a level, all going at a good pace, all with much much better technique. By the end of the holiday we probably didn't need the lessons as he said we just need now to put the miles in but the difference in our skiing style was night and day. He explained why we needed to do things a certain way and why it helped. Knowing the reasons behind leaning like this, putting weight here, using your pole like this, arms out there ... etc etc changed so much.

I loved ADH and if I went back I'd book some more with these guys. I'm not affiliated, I didn't get a discount for posting something I'm just really pleased with the results.

Although they say they're not ski guides we also found it really really useful for someone to tell us, just go left here as everyone else goes right. He took us down slightly different routes which moved us from any crowds and onto great virtually free slopes.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just another add (in case any was required) for Masterclass... we had Mel for 2x two hour privates (me and my friend, at the time basic blue run skiers) and he got us skiing parallel and doing easy red slopes with confidence pretty easily. Definitely the best tuition I've had anywhere.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We are currently using Villard Reculas ski school for our 3yo and 5 yo ski lessons. Very friendly instructors and kids seem to be coming on a lot quicker than last seasons Les 2 Alpe lessons. I had an off piste lesson with one of the instructors who used to be a competitive racer. A small and friendly ESF ski school.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another recommendation for Masterclass here. We have had private tuition a few times with Stuart for different small groups of beginners and intermediates - he was excellent. A lot of my mental triggers that I use when skiing are what he taught me - great visualisation techniques and phrases that stick in your head even 8 years later! Would not hesitate in using him again if we ever return to AdH.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy