Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler Worth the Extra ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
On our second heli trip we got massively better steep skiing in Whistler than we got on a full week of down days looking mournfully out the window of the heli lodge at the fog. 
Which is why I'm not sure I'd dare book a heliskiing holiday - time off work is too precious to risk the down days; plus travelling all the way to North America to endure them would kill me.

We've done seven fantastic catskiing days in BC in recent years though. No down days - and guaranteed skiing even in bad weather. Ironically, the only catskiing day we've ever missed was because the weather was too bad for the heli to fly us to the catskiing lodge Confused .
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Four Seasons or Fairmont ??

4S has heated outdoor pool,,,,,Fairmont has big double-sided fireplace.....am torn
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Blewyn wrote:
Four Seasons or Fairmont ??

4S has heated outdoor pool,,,,,Fairmont has big double-sided fireplace.....am torn

Neither I would go in the Village rather than up there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Blewyn, I actually prefer staying over at Backcomb, somehow I find it more straightforward to get up the hill on the Wizard Express (less hectic than the gondola / Fitzsimmons Express at Whistler). If you are staying over the festive period I would go for the Fairmont - lovely decorations / more traditional in style. You can't beat the outdoor pools / hot tubs at the 4S though particularly later on in the season.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

It's also the little things- snuffle sations at lifts (free tissues) - free suntan topups outside some restaurants.

I would like to ski in N. America some time (probably not Whistler) but those wouldn't sell it to me. wink And if I went to Whistler it would have to be despite that hideous "village" (sic). Is it really as nasty as it looks in Google Images?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think Whistler is definitely one of the world's great ski resorts but I wouldn't fly 20 hours to get there. I'd seize the opportunity to go to Japan too.

Whistler -
pros: great terrain, only American resort on scale of big Europeans(?) good service, very convenient resort, very accessible off-piste, snow sure although snow quality is variable, easy option to do a day heliskiing

cons: pretty soulless, on mountain restaurants lacks character (but great value and I enjoyed mugs of coffee+cookies, full bacon/pancakes breakfast first thing as a change from the Alpine style), rain risk (can get this in the Alps but we had torrential rain from the top of the mountain one day, think Whistler is more prone to this than anywhere), accommodation comfortable but quite Disney, scenery is pleasant but not on par with Alps (or Banff etc for that matter)

From UK its worth the trip for a change if you can go for at least 10 days but from Dubai? I wouldn't.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have been for 5 weeks on three separate trips- had good weather for one week of that time. Be prepared to ski in fog/whiteout/rain. If you are ok with that, there is some great skiing, but we stick to Banff now.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jake43 wrote:

Every time we look at Banff we just can't bring our selves to consider a long bus ride back and forth and a town that is much more spread out as it is a proper town. Whistler is Disney really for skiing. Never had a bad experience with the snow/weather over 10 visits - but I can see why it would put you off.

I've been to Banff three times and am now booking a fourth. I won't book Whistler because of all the stories I've heard about wet snow. I'm sure it's awesome when it's good, but I'm not interested in the risk. I thought the idea of a ski bus was terrible (looking at you Tignes) but as above, they're coaches, and they work with you; they are just a wonderful way of waking up in the morning, and resting before the evening.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The bus service more than makes up for the lack of in Ski in-out, I think the fact that you have the choice of 3 very different areas every morning a big bonus. On price, at the moment I could get 10 days in Banff for less than 7 days in Whistler.

Also the Canadian $ is at its best rate against the £ in years! Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Orange200,
I've been to Banff skiing once, then I tried Whistler (lots), I'm pondering going there tomorrow. Guess that pretty much sums up my thoughts on a comparison wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@stuarth, I think you can choose at shorter notice and the relative commutes are different snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whistler rains all the time.

Go to Jackson Hole. Or Niseko. Better snow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Whitegold, I know what you mean. There is nothing like walking to the lift in a monsoon where you are wet within 10 paces. But then again Whistler is located in a rain forest.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Whitegold, nice to hear from you again......
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy