Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lower back pain - hip dumping

Poster: A snowHead
Having b………d my lower back on a couple of excessively energetic days I sought out an explanation of what I had done. Amongst the pile of things I have read in the last 48hrs, this is excellent …

https://www.octopusclinic.com/preventing-back-pain/

I definitely am prone to a subtle ars’-out position which feels powerful and controlled but is for sure not balanced in the manner advocated in this useful text - time for the 30 reps 3 or 4 times a day. .
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FWIW. Before I had back surgery to deal with a herniated disc at L3/L4....I would get a really stiff lower back after skiing for the first few days. Back then, you were encouraged to engage your core by really rounding your back with the hips tucked underneath. I think this, as described in your article, was overdoing it and causing my deteriorating back to "melt down". Post back op, I have gone to a more natural, neutral position.

I think you have your hips tilted the other way...but there is probably something in that article alright. I think there is now a bigger emphasis on rotation from the hip joints to get extra grip and keep the body facing towards the outside of the turn.

Shown here:

http://youtube.com/v/mzocKe2ldeo
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I think there is now a bigger emphasis on rotation from the hip joints to get extra grip and keep the body facing towards the outside of the turn.

I think that's always been the case, no?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

I think there is now a bigger emphasis on rotation from the hip joints to get extra grip and keep the body facing towards the outside of the turn.

Not if you are a racer.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rjs, sort of, for long turns, less so than before, ?? or perhaps I misinterpreted OFB to mean down the hill?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

Possibly - but I have seen the emphasis on so many things over the years, I may have lost track.

There was knee angulation from the D/Hill leg causing an A-Frame. There was Up Unweighting with foot rotation. There was using less Up unweighting and more foot steering; there was trying to reduce foot steering and using the shape of the ski to turn as promoted by Ali Ross. There was using more hip into the turn to ski; there was using less hip into the turn to ski. There was removing all rotation from piste skiing to get that pure carved turn.

Put me down as "You may be right - but maybe not".

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 23-02-23 21:30; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Fartbag, too funny!

Yeah, live long enough, etc.?

Anyhoo my point was that shoulders down fall line (which might be virtual) to an extent has always +/- been a “thing” …
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:

Anyhoo my point was that shoulders down fall line (which might be virtual) to an extent has always +/- been a “thing” …

We have had this debate before...IMO. There is a difference between "Facing down the Fall Line and "Facing towards the outside of the turn".

I linked to a Video showing what I was talking about.

Here is another take:

http://youtube.com/v/biD-udqLxgc
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wellllll.......

These guys are ... er .... good.

But they all seem to have pretty 'rounded' backs to me, with their hips tilted forward, out of a neutral vertical position.
But then maybe they all have terrible lower back pain?!!!???

http://youtube.com/v/CQlatm6yAzQ
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@valais2, Maybe they have "youth on their side" and backs that aren't fcuked. Skullie
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Old Fartbag, ...good point!!...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yikes ....last drill .... exceptionally interesting....

http://youtube.com/v/gTvcFiIy_74
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Old Fartbag, I'm not quite sure that video enlightened me very much Puzzled snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I'm not quite sure that video enlightened me very much Puzzled snowHead

Damn!

Maybe it helped the OP - but I doubt it.

Oh well

Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It can be quite difficult to keep track of when your pelvis is in "neutral". Being aware is a focus of Pilates, of course. It is perfectly possible to be in the "pelvis tucked under" position (i.e. shag not shit) and in a variety of fore and aft balances. Same is true of having pelvis tilted forward - weight can be on toes or heels, even without the added leverage of a pair of skis.
latest report
Now this I think is interesting.

At exactly 16.00 in on this latest Fifty vid we have Cody Townsend doing jumps turns - but he is NOT extending his body up to initiate each turn - he is like the position in the 'how to carve low' in the coaching vid above. And Cody T skies some of the toughest, steepest terrain in the world.....

http://youtube.com/v/7EpZGRpBaLY
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:
Having b………d my lower back on a couple of excessively energetic days I sought out an explanation of what I had done. Amongst the pile of things I have read in the last 48hrs, this is excellent …

I definitely am prone to a subtle ars’-out position which feels powerful and controlled but is for sure not balanced in the manner advocated in this useful text - time for the 30 reps 3 or 4 times a day. .

Imagine you are squeezing a 50p piece between your bum cheeks and you mustn’t drop it. Tuck it in don’t stick it out!
snow conditions
valais2 wrote:
Wellllll.......

These guys are ... er .... good.

But they all seem to have pretty 'rounded' backs to me, with their hips tilted forward, out of a neutral vertical position.
But then maybe they all have terrible lower back pain?!!!???

http://youtube.com/v/CQlatm6yAzQ

That amazes me how little they are using their poles. Almost not worth having them. When i learnt, admittedly back in the 80's, poles seemed more important. Maybe this it's a question for another thread.
latest report
valais2 wrote:

That's an interesting article, but I'd venture to say that, unless you've already done some Pilates, it's quite difficult to isolate your hip joints and to steer/turn with them, rather than with your bum or your knees. I've sometimes heard it described as 'thigh steering' which makes it easier, perhaps, to understand and implement. Also, whilst I agree that skiing with a neutral pelvis most of the time is OK, when things get steep and turny, I'd be wanting to tuck my pelvis a bit and engage my core more strongly. But there again, as a singer, I know that I can engage my core strongly without tucking my pelvis, so perhaps I'm wrong on that one...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy