Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Lofoten Islands 2016: The Codfather Part 4 (but a Lot Better than the Al Pacino Version)

Poster: A snowHead
I'll just put this here (until the internet works) snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

For the fourth time, offpisteskiing, Arno, myself and 3 others have arrived in the Lofoten islands for a week of ski mountaineering. Our accommodation is once again very traditional: 160 year old Rorbrus.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Having arrived mid afternoon we decided to revisit a small but steep local couloir we skied last year. The snowline is a lot higher this year so a big trot and bush wack in but then...this happened snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stayed in henningsvær a few years ago before the beautiful waterside accommodation was washed away in a storm. I love Lofoten.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@GlasgowCyclops, we were based there the first two years and it was very atmospheric. Based in Ballstad near Leknes this time. It's currently raining but looks like a dusting above 300m.

Oh and we bagged the northern lights on day 1, too Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looking forward to this and a good enough internet connection to see the photos. We tied up in Henningsvaer last midsummer when I sailed in the Lofotens, inspired by the previous thread. Magical scenery. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Sharkymark, Nice.....its on my to-do list, will read your thread with interest (envy!)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markymark29 wrote:
@Sharkymark, Nice.....its on my to-do list, will read your thread with interest (envy!)

Me too!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A tad damp today so here are a couple more shots from yesterday:

Sharkymark enjoying the view:

Pete and Sharkymark enjoying some great evening spring snow:

Sharkymark again:

Forecast looks better for the rest of the week fortunately (though nything beyond 24 hrs is pure speculation from past experience).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Sooooo...after the excitement of an aurora on steroids last night, we were greeted with Scottish/Welsh conditions this morning. A bit of a drive to Reine to scope out a couloir on Navaren but no vis above 200m so it was back to the Rorbu for definitely not drinking whisky
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Being further north its still snow to sea level in Lyngen. And wall to wall sunshine!
Did miss the aurora though, too wrecked to stay up late!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

So far we have 2 out of 2 nights of aurora success Smile With 1000m of climbing or so a day there isn't a lot of getting wrecked here...

With much better weather we decided to tackle Himmeltind; a 900m peak not far from Leknes. The snowline was at about 300m so it was a longish but not unpleasant walk in. Snow was firm to start (thanks to yesterday's rain) so most of the remaining 600m was boot packing with crampons and ice axe in hand.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Once we'd bagged the summit it was a quick downclimb on the worst of the super-bulletproof rain crust and a patient wait for the sun to do it's thing. In the meantime, 'that' view...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

We were finally rewarded with a sublime Spring ski down the west face of Himmeltind. It didn't take long to decide to don crampons again and hike up 250m or so to explore a couloir that ran parallel to the main slope. Here the team ski the main face with a terrible view in the background.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Some epic singletrack on the hike out.
snow conditions

Here's a view of our dwelling: it's the yellow Rorbu and it has a SAUNA. Fantastic snowHead
ski holidays
@prog99_new, its less about the North-ness and more about being a finger of islands sticking out into the ocean (the East is still snow down to sea level...).

A few more shots from today:

Sharkymark in action photographer pose:

Friendly native:

snow conditions
Keep it coming Happy
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
Some epic singletrack on the hike out.

Should have taken the bike.... Very Happy
ski holidays
An admin error means I can no longer post photos! Give me a minute...
snow report

We're back in action; in more than one sense Smile We decided to head east back to the hunting grounds of 2013 and to Torskmannen. Not only was the snow line was down to sea level but for possibly the first time in Lofoten history, we had a combination of total sunshine and no wind all day. Blinder.
latest report

...and too many views to mention although this one was pretty special.
snow conditions
Listen everyone... unless you ave been to Lofoten then these pictures don't do it justice. I think they look amazing...... but as SharkyMark will probably confirm, in real life it is 10x as beautiful.

I really envy you guys. My sis is over from Norge so I'll show her this link.

Ha det bra.

bob
ski holidays
What @GlasgowCyclops said snowHead
ski holidays

We're currently being entertained by the indomitable Yngvar hence the lack of posting so far. Whilst I get my act together, here's a photo from last night of Ballstad taking after hiking 100m up the mountain behind the village. Ours is the yellow one.
latest report

In between talk of nuclear security, pre-Umbrian rocks, Russian tourism and the sublime taste of the Vestfjord ox, I've managed to cobble together some photos from today.

Simon decided on a route up towards Geitgaljen to sample some steeper lines. Here Simon and Rian bootpack up towards the top of line number 1 on full mountain jewellery mode.
ski holidays

A photo (probably sideways) of the team at the top of the line. That view never gets old...
snow report

Mike dropping into the line in perfect Spring snow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Our first line from the top of the second. You can just about make out our tracks halfway down the photo.
ski holidays
Looks rubbish Wink
latest report
After the awesomeness of yesterday, we awoke, once again, to a low cloud base and persistent rain. Simon led a few of us out on a mission to find a cheeky couloir to ski but our luck was out. That was until we saw...
snow conditions

...a pod of KILLER WHALES snowHead

Lofoten

Is

Awesome
ski holidays
2 days...
ski holidays
Ooooooooooooooh
ski holidays
Pics expected Happy
snow report
@Sharkymark, Stunning mate, simply stunning. I really do envy you.
How's the air dried fish (curry, risotto, bake, sweet chilli, teryaki, pasta...delete as appropriate) wink
ski holidays
We fly to Oslo this evening, the onto Lofoten tomorrow. Yesterday was the best day of the season, apparently. Fingers crossed...
latest report
@Sharkymark, Have a great time - I'm looking forward to the report.
snow conditions
Sharkymark wrote:
We fly to Oslo this evening, the onto Lofoten tomorrow. Yesterday was the best day of the season, apparently. Fingers crossed...
Duh, pass me the thicky baton.
snow conditions
@Sharkymark, off to lyngen in a couple of weeks , still considering which width skis to take , what is the consensus on your trip ??

have a great trip , will look forward to the photo fest snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy