Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2016/2017 (Cold Front May 7th Snow Sunday)

Poster: A snowHead
Rescue Operation ( Search and Recovery)

Twenty One people were involved from the mountain rescue.
Alpine policeman,
Three avalanche search dogs & their handlers.
Three members of the avalanche commission.
Three Ski Teachers (univolved volunteers),
Police helicopter
Rescue helicopter.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Markymark29,
Not somewhere I would have been. A chastening experience for the 2 in the group that were there. They put a brave face on it tonight but were clearly distraught. Not sure they will be doing anything adventurous on their last day tomorrow.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mark1863, I helped once in a dig & recovery (Ischgl, 7 victims)
It is not something you ever forget frozen twisted,crushed,limbless & contorted corpses.
You need a few Jagermeisters afterwards.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mark1863, Agreed, i feel really gutted about it and I'm a long way north, its only 4 weeks since we were in there with a guide shortly after i'd smashed my knee on a sharky rock higher up and we all traversed out skinning up the track to the skiers right along to Rendlalm, me feeling sorry for myself and genuinely still wishing we could drop in over the barriers. I know that valley really well in winter and also reccy it in summer and research at all these spots well. Thoughts to your mates, I can't imagine how they must be feeling.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The victims were two avi equipped Germans (45 & 61yrs) . Snowborder in group trigered. Only one airbag activated but no use.

http://m.tt.com/panorama/unfall/12754398-91/wieder-lawinenunglück-in-tirol-zwei-deutsche-sterben-in-st.-anton.csp
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fashback last summer Flexebahn/Albonabahn groundworks

http://youtube.com/v/iQ1mDzBl3QU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last weeks Piste avalanche in Zurs

http://youtube.com/v/ChdTymQbS3k&feature=youtube_gdata_player
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 16-04-17 11:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not a very nice day to be on the hill.

Next week much milder changeble spring like weather

Sunscreen

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 20-03-17 11:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Official Weather

A föhny southerly air stream will determine the weather throughout this week. Mild, but also unstably layered air masses will reach our regions. As a disturbance will additionally interfere with the weather on Tuesday night, temporarily unsettled, partly wet weather conditions will occur. On Tuesday afternoon, first showers may occur and become more intense on Wednesday. Unsettled conditions are forecast for Wednesday, further showers will follow. The snow line will range between 1400 m and 2100 m. From Thursday until Saturday, a southerly föhn wind will reach the north side of the Alps and result in mostly dry, but also continuously changeable weather conditions. Along the main Alpine ridge the clouds will remain compact and further occasional showers may follow. All in all, one or another surprise may occur everyplace.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Reminder

Only 5 weeks left until the end of the season (Lift Operations) .
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Belated report from 10 day visit in early March. It was a wild one. I suspect we'll be back next year at same time (job restricts time I can take during semester) and Fasching is early next year Wink

https://gortonator.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/a-wild-and-wonderful-trip-to-lech/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hill is Fogged in this evening.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Official Weather

The Alps will remain in a föhny-mild southerly air stream until Saturday. However, the southerly föhn wind on the north side of the Alps will probably not intensify anymore. Larger amounts of clouds, accumulating along the main Alpine ridge, are not expected. The low-pressure area, resulting in the southerly air stream over south-west Europe, will increasingly lose influence on the weather over our regions. As the air will remain unstably layered, further clouds will approach, which may temporarily block out the sun. A change in weather is forecast from Sunday on. The air stream will turn northward and colder air masses will reach us for longer. This change of air masses will probably result in some precipitation. The snow line will sink below 1000 m.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well I have heard it's a poo-poo hole with terrible snow and all the staff in cafes are lazy racist rsholes. I know a man who works at a bank who thinks the same.

Don't even do proper French ski food. Or speak French!!
snow conditions
Can't understand why you would want the latter.....................
snow report
Superb today. Bliss.. Free skiing

http://www.skitours-paradise.com/tour/lechtaler_alpen/dawin/dawin_strengen
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/swVCidDPn4w
snow report
Good snow at St Christoph and Galzig, wet and soft. A bit more icy at Kapll.
I visited St Anton in January and I found that the same track become mogul now. Some the them are quite big.
snow report
Blue Sky Sunscreen Day.
ski holidays
Warth Schrocken New Lift Project

https://www.vorarlberg.at/pdf/uvp_feststellungsbescheid.
latest report
Flexibahn to Zurs out of service today.
snow conditions
Flexenbahn
latest report
@cwyuen, A PendelBus (replacement) was in operation.
snow conditions
Official Weather

A strong high-pressure area will be located over the Alps throughout next week. It will result in mostly bright and spring-like mild weather until Friday. Sun worshippers will find perfect conditions, clouds are rarely expected. The calm and settled weather will probably end by next weekend. A weak cold front will approach and result in more changeable, slightly unsettled and colder weather.
ski holidays
latest report
Back at home. Despite the sludge St A is quickly becoming a fav resort.
The events in of last week made me very cautious for the remainder of my time in the area.
The 2 chaps involved in the dig went home last weekend. They got well oiled in the KK after the event but really they just wanted to go home.
Back next year at some point methinks.
snow report
Travelling solo to Arlberg this week, skiing Wednesday and Thursday. I would love to meet up and ski with fellow snowheads! 5th time here but safer and more fun together! About me: easygoing snowboarder, advanced level, into sidepiste/offpiste/itineraries. based in Langen with car and hoping to find the best conditions (spring i admit)! PM if interested!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arriving on Sunday hoping there's still enough left to ski on?!
snow report
The sunny Fohy weather wil continue up until Saturday.. Sunday will cloud over a bit so reducing the temperature.

Typical Spring Weather, about +5C up on Galzig

Top of Valluga to Town skiing no problem.
ski holidays
Yesterday's accidents in Zurs.

Ski Route 139 (steep 35 degrees)

25 people were injured, some seriously (airlifted) within a period of 1.5 hrs.

http://m.tt.com/panorama/12799957-91/25-unf%C3%A4lle-in-eineinhalb-stunden-auf-skiroute-in-z%C3%BCrs-am-arlberg.csp
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Yesterday's accidents in Zurs.

Ski Route 139 (steep 35 degrees)

25 people were injured, some seriously (airlifted) within a period of 1.5 hrs.

http://m.tt.com/panorama/12799957-91/25-unf%C3%A4lle-in-eineinhalb-stunden-auf-skiroute-in-z%C3%BCrs-am-arlberg.csp

What? Some kind of old folks "Chinese downhill?" From the article it doesn't exactly explain what actually caused all those injuries. Just sheer stupidity and a bunch of beginners with too much schnapps in the belly? Puzzled
snow conditions
Toadman wrote:
Just sheer stupidity and a bunch of beginners with too much schnapps in the belly? Puzzled

Where does it say that in the article?

To me it reads older people 58 to 77 from Belgium, Holland and the UK. Basically down to unfavorable snow conditions. 25 People over the space of 90 mins skiing down one unpisted run.

I skied on Monday over at Krippenstein/Obertraun and the snow was evil. Mainly breakable crust, sometimes even with a thin sheet of ice on top. Depending on where the sun had been it changed from breakble crust to frozen mashed potatoes to unfrozen mashed potatoes.
Buckaroo skiing at it's best - can see why that would catch older tourists out esp. as the snow looked a lot better until you got into it.
latest report
The 'interesting' thing is that this again is some bad news related to the over-ambitious mid-station of the Fiascobahn....(Flexenbahn).
snow report
To many folks getting out at the middle station & not either:-

Continuing upto Trittkopf where there is a carpet run down to Zurs

or

Taking the Gondola all the way down to Zurs.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Toadman wrote:
Just sheer stupidity and a bunch of beginners with too much schnapps in the belly? Puzzled

Where does it say that in the article?

To me it reads older people 58 to 77 from Belgium, Holland and the UK. Basically down to unfavorable snow conditions. 25 People over the space of 90 mins skiing down one unpisted run.

Speculation and sarcasm on my part. I did see where it talked about the unpisted conditions being poor. But 25 people on an unpisted run getting injured over a 90 minute period? Gotta be more to it than a bad piste, or more likely some skiers that got over their heads and went for some tumbles? Oh well, glad no one died.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:

or

I'd rephrase that to "too many folks getting out at the middle station and not taking the gondola down to Zurs. Not sure it's a carpet run so much down to Zurs any more. Too many people attempting it that shouldn't be, and the narrow sections can't really cope with the increased traffic going down it leading to bottlenecks. Used to be a lovely run, either be first off the gondola and ahead of the traffic, or hold back and let everybody else go and have the run to yourself before the next gondola emerges. Now it's just a constant stream of people getting out the cable cars.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/kC_PUav1BTA
snow report
Sitter wrote:
stanton wrote:

or

I'd rephrase that to "too many folks getting out at the middle station and not taking the gondola down to Zurs. Not sure it's a carpet run so much down to Zurs any more. Too many people attempting it that shouldn't be, and the narrow sections can't really cope with the increased traffic going down it leading to bottlenecks. Used to be a lovely run, either be first off the gondola and ahead of the traffic, or hold back and let everybody else go and have the run to yourself before the next gondola emerges. Now it's just a constant stream of people getting out the cable cars.

+1

That was also my experience. If was not possible to ski under the old Trittkopfbahn cable line, down to the route below, and hence on to the other end of Zürs, we downloaded.

BTW: love the "Fiascobahn" label. Very apt.
ski holidays
Think its getting some unnecessary negative publicity here, its a fantastic feat of engineering and opens up the Zurs link opportunities really well. If people are daft enough to ski off it without the skills to do so then that's their own problem, same as those who ski down Kandahar, that's no more the fault of Galzigbahn nor any other connecting lift than Flexenbahn is for those who choose to ski down from mid-station. The run from top of Trittkopf is well within the remit of people who can ski blues, if they choose to take a harder mid-station descent then its their choice imo, just don't moan and blame the lift, it goes down as well as up! rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy