Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 16/17

Poster: A snowHead
Are the Gnardudes and dudetts in Cham too cool to be starting this thread already? I'm not (neither in Cham or particularly cool), but I'll be there mid December and I'm excited. There's some white stuff about already right? More due at the end of the week?

Apologies to all concerned if I've committed some sort of Internet faux pas.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2958417#2958417
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2958417#2958417

Too cool to even bother putting it in the correct forum I see? You guys are just too much!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Already a pretty good base up at GM yesterday. Not that busy and plenty of fresh tracks to be had.

Even the ski down to the car park is fine, with just a couple of small rivers to cross.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
En route
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
awesome weekend for the time of year.

Silly skier's, stopping to walk/shuffle over the bridge Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What a difference a week makes. Back at GM and the piste is now as hard as concrete. The top third seems to have had a few cm of fresh snow on it last night, but below that it's like rock. It doesn't look like much has melted out above the mid station though, so at least it's a nice start to the base.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Steve77, not really surprising given the week's weather is it?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's looking dry but pretty cold at night for the foreseeable future. Will they be blowing snow? We're out on the 15/12 and are hoping for at least a few blues as it's one lads first trip after a leg break so straight up the top of an icy GM on the first morning isn't really an option.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Snow Hound, they are running the cannons extensively but I don't know how high they go on GMs (as it usually has snow anyway).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
noticed they've installed cannons (rather than the ones on wheels) on the home run this year.

they do seem to be blowing a lot more snow this year as well. normally Chamonix tends not to use them very much.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There have been fixed cannons on the GM home run (Pierre et Ric) for as long as I can remember. Are there additional ones this year?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We're actually staying down the Les Houches end. Any news on how the 2 areas either end of the valley are looking?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
right now? not very good, there's still snow above the base lifts but no idea about the depth or if they're running canons.

you've got another couple of weeks of weather before your out though so I wouldn't start worrying just yet Smile

the webcams seem to be off line though for one reason or another
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowdave wrote:
There have been fixed cannons on the GM home run (Pierre et Ric) for as long as I can remember. Are there additional ones this year?

you can see one in the photo above just past the bridge, they have a lot of them running all the way down the home run. they're definitely all new ( well I say all, a lot of the are new)
latest report
Thanks for the photos, it looks better than I had imagined it might at this stage. The next 10 days looks iffy but hopefully the snow Gods will be kind after that Smile))
snow report
Webcams looking grim, can any locals provide a ray of hope for a brief trip 16 to 21 Dec? More than happy to skin to some worthwhile snow high up. I'm assuming that a lot of off piste even high up may be rather rocky?
ski holidays
you need a ray of hope from the forecasters not locals Wink

that said, another dump on top of what there is already and a lot of off piste will be good to go, at least for a couple of days. not been anywhere glacial yet, but places like lavancher will be fine after another top up Smile

for the moment, its just nice sunny fast piste riding!
snow report
horgand wrote:
The next 10 days looks iffy...

IFFY?!?!
I can report that conditions are MEGA BON in the Valley, and even better over in Valais...
...for mountain biking.

On the rocks wrote:
Webcams looking grim, can any locals provide a ray of hope for a brief trip 16 to 21 Dec? More than happy to skin to some worthwhile snow high up. I'm assuming that a lot of off piste even high up may be rather rocky?

Above 2000m there is reasonable coverage. The keen skiers are still walking miles for social media posts of finding "epic powder" in Argentiere basin, le Buet, etc. Further into Aosta they have great snow conditions I believe. Why bother, its still Autumn and conditions are great for riding, hiking, running, etc! Gressonay and Alagna are a long drive!

Top tip for everyone is to finally realise that Decembers will now always be iffy for skiing. Yes there will be good winters, but their frequencies are decreasing (SLF.ch even said so), just book later in the season.
ski holidays
Grands Montets open this weekend, opening for the season on the 9th, "exceptional snow high up"

Yeah, you know, "iffy" ...

"Iffy" my rear end.
ski holidays
Off to Chamonix 7th Feb for the first time in ages
snow conditions
Needed to test some skis - verify the mounting point, so headed up the Flegere, Alone.

And yes I was alone, first bin, just me.

Got 3 laps on the lone on open piste under the la Trape chair before I saw another sole.

The piste itself is nice, but its the only skiable snow up there at the moment!
ski holidays
My daughter was skiing at GM today. Said it was nice on piste and best of all empty.
snow conditions
@jbob, hmmm, not sure "nice" is how I would describe it. Better though than last year...
snow report
I'm wondering if in any of the resorts through the tunnel are in better nick and worthy of a day trip?
ski holidays
yeah, its better on the south facing Italian slopes.
ski holidays
GM yesterday was scratchy with firm patches and horrible icy bits - the top of the Grand was rather nice if you are adventurous.
ski holidays
Hmmm, we're flying out Friday morning and it's not looking so good from peoples comments above.

I may be spending some time in some bars!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Likewise - flying out Friday evening for the weekend. Might do a half day ski on the Saturday to stretch my legs, then a bit of hiking. Have loads of people to catch up with, so it'll still be a nice weekend away Smile
snow report
I'll be doing some gentle skinning and keeping well away from crevasses
ski holidays
Decided to cancel cutting losses on flight, hopefully make it later when conditions improve
latest report
Tried Flegere today, red run open from index and greens down to the slow old 4 man lift.
Kept us entertained for about 2 hours.
Gonna get the bus to Courmayer in the morning, bit of boarding and some good Italian coffee and food on the menu!
ski holidays
A friend drive me over to St Gervais yesterday - mostly for the Folie Douce opening party Wink

3 green runs and a short black open, so pretty limited - but they were absolutely deserted! So we actually had a lot of fun blasting about. The snow they'd got onto the pistes was actually pretty good too, especially on the 'black' in the shade. A very nice couple of hours to get the legs going. Perfect for me as it was first day back on a mountain since April, and my friend was trying out new piste skis. Pass was half price too as it was so limited.

And the Folie party was lots of fun too Toofy Grin
ski holidays
P.S. for those driving on the Autoroute Blanche, there are signs up at the moment saying speed limited to 110kmph due to pollution, with radar control in operation - and it really is! I spotted a very determined gendarme with a radar gun in a sneaky spot while on my transfer back today. So do stick to the limit...
ski holidays
Looks like everything was closed today due to high winds. Webcams seemed to show long queues waiting to download from GM after the shut down and with Pierre a Ric being closed Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
@fixx, as has been the case the last few years.

Also, 70 not 90 from Cham to and from the autoroute ... not as well signalled.
snow report
We had a really good weekend staying in Chamonix. GM on Friday was decent above mid station with the top being a giant mogul field but still fun. Verbier on Saturday and Courmayeur on Sunday were both in good nick from mid station up with the Swiss even getting their home run open. Would have happily spent several days at either. The new Rocky Pop hotel in Les Houches is excellent.
latest report
I am afraid I have no idea what the pistes are like, but they've done a great job creating the green Bois de Bouchet XC trail.

Baltic this AM and only managed 2 circuits but a lot better (myself) than first outing last year snowHead
latest report
@under a new name, that's really good news. In Chamonix for Christmas and Mrs Jbob and I will be looking for a shuffle.
ski holidays
@jbob, classic or skate?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy