Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Skis Question

Poster: A snowHead
I currently have some Line Prophet 90s which I bought about five years ago with the idea of doing a lot more off piste skiing.

For various reasons this hasn't happened and I'm finding them quite unwieldy and heavy on piste. I'm now looking to replace them with something more piste-orientated.

Are Head Magnums the way to go? I'm a 8/8.5 on the Inside Out chart and am interested in improving my technique more than speed per se.

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Possibly-my OH Mr P has Head Titans (which are a bit fatter) and he really really likes them for on piste carving, though they had enough girth for playing off the sides in any fresh snow too. We did a 4 week course in Val in January, and the Head Magnums were definitely up there as the ski of choice for trainee instructors.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @Perty, I think it was the slightly wider Titans I had in mind. Would be interested in hearing a comparison if anyone has experience of both.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How much do you weigh? Not skied it but by reputation the P90 was pretty stiff.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gorilla, a bit under 80kgs (or, depending on how my winter training goes a lot under!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What percentage of your time are you now planning to do off piste? ie. Are you looking for an All Mountain Ski with a Piste Bias (like The Brahma); or are you looking for a dedicated Piste Ski that is OK for the odd foray off piste (like the Scott Black Majic)?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Fartbag, if I'm brutally honest - the latter. Will have a look at the Scotts, thanks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FWIW. I think the Brahma should also be high on your list...but they get sold out quickly.

Good luck with your search.

Edit. The Salomon X-Drive 8.0 Ti is also a possible contender.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have Magnums. I also tried Titans after I'd bought the Magnums. They are similar but I do wish I'd bought the Titans.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I love my Titans. I'm 92kg and 5'11" and the 177 length suit me perfectly. As you're a fair bit lighter than me I think the Magnums might suit you a bit better. EB used to stock both so if you could get to a fridge it'd be worth trying them side by side.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I absolutely love the Black Majics and own a pair. I am a tall, heavy skier and I am quite an aggressive carver and they really suit me for that. You also learn a couple of little tricks with them, they can be quite playful and a lot of fun on a hard piste.

However since we're talking Head, I would also recommend the Revs which whilst not a current production ski can be had for a very good price online now. They were Head's all mountain range, so a bit more off-piste ready than the Supershapes (Magnum / Titan). I have the 80 underfoot and the carve well. I expect the 78 will be a little more nimble still.

If you want a current production model, there is the Monster range which I think replaced the Rev's more or less, but the word going round is they're not really anything like Revs and if you want Revs the only thing you can really do is buy used ones.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I bought a pair of Fischer Progressor 900 PR's as my piste skis for this season and they're awesome. Sport Conrad usually have Fischer for a good price.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't think the Magnums would give you noticeably better on-piste performance than the Titans, and the little bit of extra width of the Titans might give you more options when skiing in deep snow.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you are undecided between the Titans and the Magnums then consider the Rally which sits smack between the other two.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rob@rar, thanks Rob - if they give me the option of remaining upright in deep snow I'll be delighted Smile
snow report
@narbs, I just picked up a set of Brahams http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=125864&highlight= but was considering other options. Absolute-Snow currently have a good deal on some Black Majic that I was considering.
snow report
Just thought I'd update this having just got back from a week in Obergurgl.

I offloaded the Lines and got a very good deal on some 2015 Scott Black Magics. What a difference.

Found them incredibly easy to get on edge and much easier to control - had very little sliding of the outside ski during turns.

They're about 2kgs lighter as well which made everything much more pleasurable!
snow report
narbs wrote:
Just thought I'd update this having just got back from a week in Obergurgl.

I offloaded the Lines and got a very good deal on some 2015 Scott Black Magics. What a difference.

Found them incredibly easy to get on edge and much easier to control - had very little sliding of the outside ski during turns.

They're about 2kgs lighter as well which made everything much more pleasurable!

I think I also took advantage of that offer, picked up a pair of 2105 Balck Majics just before Christmas, what an awesome piste ski.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy