Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Peter S, given the UK is also expected to be above average in the same period... I suppose it wouldn't be ironic at all.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just adding my input.

This is EPS output for the 25-27th system. This one looks great for the Western Alps, and an opportunity at some decent falls. But that might fizz out really....

And the 28th System. Precipitation is fine for the Northern and Western Alps, but it does look pretty warm. Pineapple Express perhaps. Probably not looking at current Ensemble PWAT figures.

Relatively good positioning of the North Atlantic jetstream for systems to come from the north-west and west.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well at least the precipitation might break the drought in the alps and the south of England.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi, thanks for all the useful weather information this season, as always!

I have a quick question and I know its FI but how likely is the rise in temperatures towards the end of the month? Could it still remain cold and is it the precipitation amount and location in doubt. Or is FI simply fantasy island relating to temperature and precipitation? Could it go either way...

My holiday in the alps ends Jan 31st and I'd hate for it to end with rain! We're heading to Skiwelt in Tyrol, a relatively low resort.

Thanks
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jones82, no offence meant in any way, but I'm a little baffled.

As best I can I've set out the basic parameters as I see them in the first post on the first page.

Beyond seven days is very uncertain.

You simply cannot have any confidence beyond that stage.

So and this is not meant to be unkind, but I really don't understand your question.

"How likely", "could", "doubt".

Uncertain, possibly, maybe.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Foehn forecast for the eastern Savoie ranges tomorrow, replacing the bise.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Föhn forecast.

http://www.meteocentrale.ch/en/weather/foehn-and-bise/foehn.html

Bise forecast.

http://www.meteocentrale.ch/en/weather/foehn-and-bise/bise.html
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jones82 Precipitation is very hard to Forecast that far out, and you can only really get an idea if it is going to rain on a certain day, no amounts at all.

Temperatures are a little easier to forecast that far out, but I still don't put much confidence in it. Things will change. ATM it is forecast to be warmer than average, but a flip isn't out of the question. Patience is very important with the weather.

Self evaluation is important to me and my long term forecasts should be judged for what they are worth.
I have had a good track record with long term snow predictions in Japan this season. But my European predictions have been very poor. And it's all got to do with harder dynamics in Europe and trying to keep tab with all the climate indicators for Europe. So far it's been a very up and down season for Europe. With all this uncertainty with Europe's weather, I think clinging hopes to a weather system 12 days away is at least poorly informed. But you can watch it and see how it progresses, which is what I like to do.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the links @nozawaonsen! It'll be interesting to see how the Foehen develops.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but I'm generally having a hard time working out what the effect of this recent dump of snow has been "on the ground" accross the Alps. While it seems to have been decently cold and lots of resorts are advertising great conditions for obvious reasons, it seems from the forum reports that the actual effect on the off piste is more limited (due to lack of base, wind scouring and dodgey layers in the snowpack).

The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of booking a weekend trip to La Grave this weekend (leave Thursday) but don't know if it'll be worth it (half board, flights and guide at £860) or whether I should snaffle up a deal to Chamonix at £425 - B&B, no guide), or head elsewhere.

tl;dr:any thoughts on where is actually best snow-wise following this recent dump would be much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@recz
Definitely take care on fresh cover, especially with nothing under it. Has been a bit windy from observing AWS. I usually wait for a base before I go out back.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@recz, check out the wePowder site, their weatherman Morris usually pinpoints the best & safest places to find powder...click through to the latest Full Forecast and take heed of the warnings about lack of base and weak layers in some areas...

http://wepowder.com/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@recz, get a guide.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmmmm. Out of nowhere 3b meteor now predicting 50cm of snow for cervinia on transfer day Sunday.......
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen wrote:
@recz, get a guide.

wise words
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@recz,

can I suggest you look at these webcams? I'd describe the piste conditions as immaculate, wouldn't you?
https://www.lescontamines.net/webcam.html
latest report
@jedster .....and deserted! looks great
latest report
scotspikey wrote:
Hmmmm. Out of nowhere 3b meteor now predicting 50cm of snow for cervinia on transfer day Sunday.......

Another Med Low forecast to develop at the weekend, seems to be tracking too far South (Tunisia, Sicily) to affect the Alps due to High Pressure over N & C Europe, but maybe they've picked up on a more Northerly track somewhere.
snow conditions
luigi wrote:
scotspikey wrote:

Another Med Low forecast to develop at the weekend, seems to be tracking too far South (Tunisia, Sicily) to affect the Alps due to High Pressure over N & C Europe, but maybe they've picked up on a more Northerly track somewhere.

Doesn't look that far north on EC....
latest report
jedster wrote:
@recz,

can I suggest you look at these webcams? I'd describe the piste conditions as immaculate, wouldn't you?
https://www.lescontamines.net/webcam.html

If you can just keep it looking like that until the 28th, that will be grand......
ski holidays
ewanmalone wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:
@recz, get a guide.

wise words

Thanks, this was always the plan - just a question of where do we base ourselves for weekend that determines which guide to get Blush

Les contamines looks great - if I can find some deals there now, it's probably that (Cham or Engelberg).

Thanks for the help - will be sure to leave some stashes for you Jedster/NoDosh NehNeh
ski holidays
recz wrote:
Thanks for the links @nozawaonsen! It'll be interesting to see how the Foehen develops.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but I'm generally having a hard time working out what the effect of this recent dump of snow has been "on the ground" accross the Alps. While it seems to have been decently cold and lots of resorts are advertising great conditions for obvious reasons, it seems from the forum reports that the actual effect on the off piste is more limited (due to lack of base, wind scouring and dodgey layers in the snowpack).

The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of booking a weekend trip to La Grave this weekend (leave Thursday) but don't know if it'll be worth it (half board, flights and guide at £860) or whether I should snaffle up a deal to Chamonix at £425 - B&B, no guide), or head elsewhere.

tl;dr:any thoughts on where is actually best snow-wise following this recent dump would be much appreciated.

La Grave is skiable at the moment, but snowdepths and conditions are someway below-average, and not all the lifts are open. Given its steep, rocky nature, it may not be the best choice.

The best snow right now is in the Pyrenees. Soldeu got 100-200cm fresh snowfall in the past week.
snow report
This morning's output has tended towards prolonging the influence of high pressure.
snow conditions
Blimey, just seen Arabba-geddon being forecast on the Dolomites thread. Shocked
ski holidays
@Hurtle, I'm less convinced at this stage.
snow report
This shows snow depths for Switzerland against average. A broad swathe now well above average. Less so to the south.

http://www.slf.ch/schneeinfo/schneekarten/hsm/index_EN
snow report
Mammoth, California, due another 5-8 feet of powda in the next few days.

Set to be its 2nd snowiest January in history.

Snowpack is around +250% above-average.

Some are saying the upper-base will hit 400 inches / 33 feet (1000cm) by February.

Mammoth probably has the most snow of any resort on Earth right now.

Should stay open until July 4th or even August.

snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:

GFS suggesting same for Via Lattea now too...
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
@Hurtle, I'm less convinced at this stage.
Noted. Thanks. Some new snow would be nice, but we don't really need Arabba-geddon again!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abbosphere wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

Its likely appearing for several locations. However, its appearing near the end of the forecast run and thus in the low resolution part of it. It also has little or no support from any of the other GFS ensemble members (for 29th to 31st). At this stage I would be very skeptical of this coming off. But as pointed out, it has been shown now for several runs in a row so worth keeping an eye on.
snow report
abbosphere wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

AFAIK the GFS run uses slightly different assumptions in each of its runs (I think noza explained what each uses last year or earlier this year). One of the GFS Op runs each day has forecast a fair bit of snow for Northwest Italy for 21-23th and 29-30th for as long as they've been on the graph, however it's been a distinct outlier with little to no support from the other scenarios or the other GFS runs throughout the day. A decent snowfall isn't out of the question but I wouldn't put any money on it until there's a fair bit of support.
snow report
Just out of the blue Bergfex are forecasting 50cms of snow in the Espace Killy on Saturday - model blip, too early to call or real (possibly)?
snow report
Bise is causing drifting on the Geneva <-> Lausanne autoroute

ski holidays
@Drogue, and @jimmybog,

You are both of course absolutely correct. And I'm very familiar with the necessary caveats... however with 5 days to go til my trip and the first day's skiing on Monday, I have obviously thrown my logical and reasonable self out the window and am now infatuated with anything that suggests pow. Anyone else get this transition from 3 months of rational weather-watching to a final week of obsessive lunacy? I believe it's what avi-courses teach as the significant "human element"....rolling eyes

...nonetheless, thanks for bringing me back down to earth wink
latest report
@abbosphere, I'm off in a week and therefore, like you, any semblance of logic, sanity or restraint have long since gone.
ski holidays
@abbosphere, @esaw1, exactly the same here. Luckily off to the Pyrenees where there seems to be plenty of good news in that regard
latest report
franga wrote:
Just out of the blue Bergfex are forecasting 50cms of snow in the Espace Killy on Saturday - model blip, too early to call or real (possibly)?

Sunday isn't it? Suits me as we arrive Friday night , it's also cropping up on another couple of sites, but less depth.
snow report
abbosphere wrote:
@Drogue, and @jimmybog,

. Anyone else get this transition from 3 months of rational weather-watching to a final week of obsessive lunacy? wink

I dont have any period of transition!!. Mine is usually three continuous months of obsessive lunacy up to the day I leave!! Laughing Laughing
snow report
Jellybeans1000 wrote:
@Jones82 Precipitation is very hard to Forecast that far out, and you can only really get an idea if it is going to rain on a certain day, no amounts at all.

That's something I've learned from these threads.

Even near the time the numbers can be vastly different.

There was next to nothing forecast for last night (1cm) yet there was 20cms fresh at the top this morning and it's snowed lightly all day.
ski holidays
@jimmybog, @esaw1,
Same here. Coming from the States in 10 days and have been obsessed with first not enough snow, now warm temps and if it snows can I get from Geneva to Chamonix on the 28th. Then will he lifts be closed if there is a storm? I need to relax. It'll be great no matter.
ski holidays
Scotland looks interesting next week!

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy