Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
The GFS run has shown significant snowfall around 30th/31st on the last couple of runs for the eastern Alps.
Looks huge at the moment.
Let's hope that's picked up elsewhere!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Sunday isn't it? Suits me as we arrive Friday night , it's also cropping up on another couple of sites, but less depth.

You're right - my heart bleeds for you, hope it comes off!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abbosphere wrote:
@Drogue, and @jimmybog,

You are both of course absolutely correct. And I'm very familiar with the necessary caveats... however with 5 days to go til my trip and the first day's skiing on Monday, I have obviously thrown my logical and reasonable self out the window and am now infatuated with anything that suggests pow. Anyone else get this transition from 3 months of rational weather-watching to a final week of obsessive lunacy? I believe it's what avi-courses teach as the significant "human element"....rolling eyes

...nonetheless, thanks for bringing me back down to earth wink

I'm actually off on Saturday, though as a mainly piste skier I don't get quite the same powder-fuelled obsession that many do. But I have been looking at the little hump in the morning GFS run for 21-23rd and praying it gets some support, as a touch up would be lovely - bits of powdery off piste, a white backdrop, natural snow on top of the artificial that's been kept so well, etc.

I do find it a lot easier to say "don't worry about it it's far off/will be fine" when I'm weeks away from a trip though...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abbosphere wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
Blimey, just seen Arabba-geddon being forecast on the Dolomites thread. Shocked

GFS suggesting same for Via Lattea now too...

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? This thread confuses me at times!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fridge03 wrote:
abbosphere wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
Blimey, just seen Arabba-geddon being forecast on the Dolomites thread. Shocked

GFS suggesting same for Via Lattea now too...

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? This thread confuses me at times!

Good. Unless you're trying to get over one of those mountain passes when it happens...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is how GFS 12z op run sees snowfall out till the middle of next week.

20-30cms for parts of the Italian French border. More so on the Italian side and more so to the south. This is a consequence of the low pressure system that has been cropping up for a while now next weekend.

Some runs it has been too far south to have any real impact on the Alps. Other runs it sits further north and brings more snow including to places like Espace Killy, but it all depends on the position of this low (and whether it develops at all) which is shifting from run to run.

Further into FI GFS keeps high pressure in charge until around the end of the month, before it allows the jet to crash in.

Crucially it goes on to develop a more northerly angle bringing cold and snow if it happens across the Alps. "If" of course being the operative word. Yesterday it brought in the Atlantic sooner, but coming straight across it was a lot milder. This would be a much better longer term outlook, but and this is important, it is still the final few frames of FI. So pretty to watch, but not to trust.

In the meantime plenty of sunshine, but cold!

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Check out snowfall predictions for Limone Piemonte across various sites on Sunday.

Have to take OH to Turin Monday then have Les Chiens so no road trips Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@carsey, what looks interesting ? I see warm temps and zero precipitation???
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weathercam wrote:
then have Les Chiens so no road trips Sad

But Les Chiens bring such joy into every day wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@nozawaonsen Intresting with the jet on GFS. EC also suggests it to plunge in too.

And that in turn, helps this monstrosity of a deep low. It suggests snow for all over the Alps from 26th to 31st of January.

Subject to change.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
18z again ends the month with a bang. But will it still be doing so this time tomorrow?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GFS this morning has focussed snowfall in a small corner of Italy around southern Piedmont (see @Weathercam's comment above). Still time for that to shift around a little.

Otherwise some pretty stunning weather to come with cold temperatures and plenty of sunshine. Blaue Himmel indeed.

Beyond that it looks like warming up slowly to seasonal norms, but with high pressure in charge not much sign of further snowfall (beyond that mentioned above). GFS is still looking at options at the end of January start of February (and ECM hinting in this direction too), but high pressure looks pretty dominant for now.

Party time!

The Arlberg

Chamonix

Cairngorm

Sestriere

Eastern Pyrenees

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bergfex are testing our 3X tables this morning - Sunday's forecast accumulation for the EK has been downgraded to 18cm from 54cm. I know I shouldn't be paying too much attention to snowfall levels but amusing nonetheless. Thanks for the latest charts @nozawaonsen.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://youtube.com/v/ttOfhz2VZIE
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dog sitter sorted, drop OH off at Turin Monday AM - then drive on down to Limone where mate will be with a guide Cool

That said see accumulations are already 25% less than yesterday and this is such a tiny system could all too easily disappear rolling eyes

Mate is leaving me tonight to meet up with guide and he reckons best conditions are Aosta way Crevacol near S Barndardino (Austria too far to drive), though up high conditions badly affected by wind and dangerous, did give my mate the option of cancelling till Sat or ice climbing.

Also reports that LG is in none to good condition.

That said scored some nice slack country yesterday - see Serre thread
snow conditions
@Weathercam, was at Crevacol this week. The first rule of Crevacol..
Joking aside we had a great day, f cold but the off was badly wind affected.
snow report
Not that bad long term for Europe. Latest update on the situation.
http://longrangesnowcenter.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/europe-on-long-term-18th-january.html

I really do appreciate any mentions to friends/family/colleagues/social media, etc. Thanks all. Very Happy
ski holidays
Jellybeans - the first two charts in the link are the same, no?
latest report
hum3 wrote:
Jellybeans - the first two charts in the link are the same, no?

Sorry, fixed up. Always stuff something up...
ski holidays
06z GFS continues to suggest a return to snowy conditions for the northern Alps around 29 January.
snow report
Is jungfrau region classed as northern alps rather than east or west... guessing it's right in the middle ? So 'northern' would cover this region ? I'm heading there w/c 28th Jan ...
ski holidays
@gamer2471, northern side of the Alps for sure. But at this stage any forecast for that time period is low confidence.
latest report
Morris on wepowder has just suggested the possibility of a 'genoa low' bringing snow to the south west alps this weekend. Heading to gressoney this weekend so have a vested interest - what are people's opinions on here?
ski holidays
tjgadd18 wrote:
Morris on wepowder has just suggested the possibility of a 'genoa low' bringing snow to the south west alps this weekend. Heading to gressoney this weekend so have a vested interest - what are people's opinions on here?

GFS suggests some snow on Monday (black line below), but not a huge dump and not much support (red scenario average being much lower). I'd guess a few snow showers are reasonably likely - graph suggests up to 50% at certain times - maybe a couple of cm top up, but little more. Outside chance of a decent fall, but not something I'd be expecting. I'm off to Champoluc so hoping it gets something, as it'd be nice for it to keep it seeming white and wintery and to top up the pistes. I'd be surprised if it makes much difference either way though as most reports I've seen say the pistes are in good condition but a fair bit more (i.e. more than expected to fall) is needed to make the off piste decently powdery. Here's the nearest squiggles for Gressoney:

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 18-01-17 15:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
tjgadd18 wrote:

We were in Gressoney 2 weeks ago boarding on a mix of natural snow that was 3 weeks old and artificial - it was absolutely great on piste particularly given the prevailing conditions in most of Europe at the time. Unless you are planning to venture off-piste (please refer to the Monterosa thread if you are) then you'll have a blast.

The standard of grooming and piste prep was exceptional - plus the slopes will be empty (whereas we had to navigate around half of Turin on every run)?
ski holidays
@tjgadd18, there has been low pressure forecast to develop on the Mediterranean over a number of recent runs. However, not all low pressure systems in the Mediterranean can be classed as a Genoa low nor for that matter do they always lead to a retour d'est.

12z GFS op run has the low pressure system developing between the Balearics and Sardinia. It should bring some snow to the French Italian border. More so to the south and in the Italian side. At present I think the Aosta valley may be too far north to benefit, but it all depends on how and where that low pressure system develops.

ski holidays
Ok great thank you, fingers crossed. As described piste conditions sound good, hoping for a decent days guiding, or even a trip in the heli if the conditions are worthwhile
snow conditions
At this point in January Austria is on course for the coldest winter for 11 years according to ZAMG. Certainly most of the country is covered in snow. Given the forecast is for temperatures to warm up a little I'd be surprised if that 11 year record was broken, but we'll see. Beautiful weather in the Arlberg today.

http://www.zamg.ac.at/cms/de/klima/news/flaechendeckende-klimadaten-fuer-oesterreich-online
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Truly bizarre how localised this low is and amounts but if it stays like this I'm not complaining Cool

snow report
GFS 12z had a much more unsettled and snowy outlook for both the Pyrenees and Alps from 28 January.
snow report
GFS is still going for more Northern based storms, that I mentioned in the blog post.
snow report
Earthquake (5.6) and avalanche buried a hotel in Pescara, Abruzzo, central Italy, yesterday.

Several dead.

Huge snowfall + medium quake = chaos.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4134306/Rescuers-fear-lives-20-people-avalanche.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38653896

snow conditions
GFS and ECM this morning now have high pressure in charge pretty much all the way through.

Still looks like parts of Piedmont particularly the south could get some fresh snow this Sunday Monday.

Meanwhile it's a fantastic looking morning out there...

http://youtube.com/v/-sbNPKwGDJ4
snow report
Starting to pay particular attention to this thread given that I depart for the Ski Amade this weekend....... Just a quick post to say thanks to the regular contributors to this thread..... keep it peeps, it's greatly appreciated by the masses here Cool
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
.....Still looks like parts of Piedmont particularly the south could get some fresh snow this Sunday Monday........

This is getting silly now Cool

Compare this to the image a few posts above, no doubt will all change as we get nearer - but we might have to choose elsewhere that is not going to get so much!

ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:
.....Still looks like parts of Piedmont particularly the south could get some fresh snow this Sunday Monday........

This is getting silly now Cool

Compare this to the image a few posts above, no doubt will all change as we get nearer - but we might have to choose elsewhere that is not going to get so much!

I just read a dutch weather forecaster, and he writes that is very unsure what will happen in the south-western alps, so I think you shouldn't trust the figures on this image. It could completely change
snow report
bart_bdv wrote:

I just read a dutch weather forecaster, and he writes that is very unsure what will happen in the south-western alps, so I think you shouldn't trust the figures on this image. It could completely change

Wow that's interesting I really thought that these figures were cast in stone.

Did you actually my post and previous ones rolling eyes
ski holidays
This is how WRF sees it.

The southern part of Piedmont looks likely to receive the most snow.
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
bart_bdv wrote:

Wow that's interesting I really thought that these figures were cast in stone.

Did you actually my post and previous ones rolling eyes

Cool down man, no need to immediately attack people!
latest report

EPS Control is still onto 29th Jan-2nd Feb. GFS has dropped it except for light falls.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy