Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Aye @robboj, I agree think I should be fine for piste skiing but it could be three successive years where I have had month old snow to ski in. I dont mind it but im due something softer wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Road trip to Limone Piemonte paid off Cool

Great resort - oodles of potential - lift assisted off piste today and touring tomorrow in around 20-25cm of fresh.

Interesting in that a Swedish La Grave we know brought his Swedish clients to here from Geneva yesterday - as the guiding Co he works for takes clients to where the best conditions are - and I suppose Austria / Corsica just too far to drive, they will leave here Wed to go elsewhere - though as the clients are only lift assisted powder hounds their options will be limited.

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
never summer wrote:
@Peter S, End of January, with snow levels that we currently have , is not "early days". Days are getting longer, sun is higher, it's warmer, so between now and whenever it snows again snow will be increasingly affected by this. If there was a remote prospect of cold and very unsettled February it would start showing on weather charts. A single storm won't change things beyond a few days once clouds clear. Would be good for pistes, but off-piste needs a meter of snow and this needs to stick too.

There are basically 3 weeks of Winter left.

Spring springs circa Feb 12 in the Alps.

Time is running out.

So far, it is one of the worst snow seasons in recent memory.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Whitegold,

Not in the eastern Alps.
Conditions have been pretty good there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Whitegold, Toofy Grin come on.... be a little more positive. Plenty of time for it to change and then dump hard the rest of the season. I can name plenty of seasons with slow starts and ones akin to this one that then were very wintry later on in the season. Yes, it could completely flunk, but it's unlikely. Mid Feb - April - I say it dumps Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Old Dog wrote:
I've been following this thread for a while. Heading off for short break on 12th Feb so up until now I've assumed that all should be fine by then. We're flying in to Bergamo and have a hotel booked in Madesimo which can be cancelled. What I'm not sure of is, within 2 - 3 hours of Bergamo, which general area has the best snow now, given there is little likelihood of snow over the next week and who knows what could happen after that I have to soon decide if we go elsewhere and if so, where to?

We did exactly that last week- cancelled Madesimo and went to Gressoney which was fantastic. All pistes in really good condition, miles and miles of them! And empty. Just under 3 hours from Bergamo, very quiet in the evenings, but that suited us. Best skiing area I've been to.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

We did exactly that last week- cancelled Madesimo and went to Gressoney which was fantastic. All pistes in really good condition, miles and miles of them! And empty. Just under 3 hours from Bergamo, very quiet in the evenings, but that suited us. Best skiing area I've been to.

Thanks for that, any suggestions for hotels which might have vacancies given it's 1/2 term.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It certainly looks quite dry, but I wouldn't be alarmist like @Whitegold.

18z GFS calls for light-moderate falls

On the 28th Jan
On the 1st-2nd Feb
On the 3rd-4th Feb

These will be best observed from higher altitudes.

In the stratosphere...

Polar vortex over Europe/North Atlantic. Could do good things for European snow if it sticks around like on current GFS.....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We stayed in Villa della Regina. No idea if they would have vacancies. Great location beside the lifts in Stafal, up the road from Gressoney la Trinite. High recommend it, lovely people.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, looks lovely.

Arlberg was bathed in sun and not a cloud to be seen at weekend. Exposed and south facing slopes starting to feel it a bit, but you'd have been hard pressed not to enjoy the weather.

http://youtube.com/v/a01QQZyl-_I

So high pressure is still the king of the castle...

But change does look like it is in the air as the low pressure systems in the Atlantic send repeated sorties to break the siege.

The Arlberg

Chamonix

Cairngorm

Sestriere

Eastern Pyrenees

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@nozawaonsen, check out forecast for Limone from Friday, you could not make it up!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, which one?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@nozawaonsen, love that song. Looks a touch too warm, but maybe the snow will be following me this year from the Alps, to the Pyrenees and back to the Alps next week.

I'm curious about the forecast for Sestriere. The ensemble runs are showing a similar pattern to Chamonix, so this would indicate Atlantic systems coming in from the North West? If this is correct, would you expect GFS to indicate more snow depths for resorts further North and West, like Chamonix, than resorts a bit further South and On the other side of the Alpine ridge, like Sestriere?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Old Dog wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for that, any suggestions for hotels which might have vacancies given it's 1/2 term.

This is the Weather Outlook thread!!! Can you post your questions re accomodation etc in the resort review threads please!!. Thx
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Brilliant news, Come on Low Pressure Toofy Grin . One more day and Ill believe that storm on 31/01 Feb snowHead
snow conditions
This looks like it has potential for the 30th, cold as well??

http://weather.unisys.com/ecmwf/ecmwf_500p_4panel_eur.gif
snow conditions
Ok to clarify we could be looking at snow over the french alps? Don't get my hopes up here!! Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Off to St martin on sunday 29th Jan, looks to be a bit too warm? 2 or 3 degrees C at 1500m (resort level) Neutral

Really hope it cools down and we get some fresh snow in.
snow report
Let's start with GFS....

Feb 1-2 Southern low coming in from the west.

Feb 4-5 Southern low with precip in much of the Alps

Feb 6 Southern low, precip for the north.

Now for EPS Control...

2nd Feb fizzer ATM but potential...

4-5 Feb A decent Southern low with good falls to the West.

Possiblities after the end of the model run...

Yes not many trends, but a fair amount of oppurtunity for snow which might be connected to the polar vortex currently and forecast to stay over Europe.
snow report
@rob.m, the snow line could well be below the village (it was snowing in Cheshire on Saturday night when my outside thermometer was reading 5C).

@nozawaonsen / @Jellybeans1000, if these come off you'll be getting a Christmas card from me this year.
ski holidays

EC Snowfall Next 10 days...
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:

Sestriere

Off to the Via Lattea (Sauze) on Saturday morning. Looks to be a potentially "moist" week! snowHead
ski holidays
In St Anton this week and it's just not any fun for boarders. Busy hard icy pistes, concrete off piste. If you like sun baked fast runs to the background of remixed 80s cheese, this is the place.

I see GWV is monitoring a SSW event in the upper atmosphere end of Jan which could filter down and create blocking mid Feb.
ski holidays
@JordanJSY Yes
snow report
@Jellybeans1000, Leaving for La Plagne on Saturday until 4th Feb. Fingers crossed!! Laughing
snow conditions
No not snow, PM10s over France

snow report
@Jellybeans1000, am i right in thinking that the 2nd to bottom map is indicating 30cms snow around western alps?
snow report
Looks like early signs of disruption to the current pattern which is a start, fingers crossed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Come on ye Snow Gods, give us snow with the new (any ) moon!!
ski holidays
langball wrote:

I see GWV is monitoring a SSW event in the upper atmosphere end of Jan which could filter down and create blocking mid Feb.

An Atlantic rollercoaster for the first week of Feb, then calming down a bit around the mid-month would suit me!! snowHead
snow report
Looking good for my trip to Le Praz on 4th Feb, just hope this pattern keeps repeating for the next few days, still quite a long way off. Went to Megeve last year exactly the same week and it hoofed it down with snow until the day we came home!! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Southern side of the Alps currently looks like doing well out of the upcoming unsettled weather, though given most of this lies more than seven days out the detail is still likely to shift around.

Meanwhile Austria is currently enjoying (ish) the coldest January for 30 years with the average temperature reportedly 6.0C below average.

The lake at Zell am See is now completely frozen, the ice 15cm thick and open for skating and walking (though keep an eye on the safety updates).

https://www.facebook.com/wasserrettungzellamsee/posts/203948733411367:0

And there are traffic restrictions in place on shipping on the Danube.
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Southern side of the Alps currently looks like doing well out of the upcoming unsettled weather, though given most of this lies more than seven days out the detail is still likely to shift around.

Meanwhile Austria is currently enjoying (ish) the coldest January for 30 years with the average temperature reportedly 6.0C below average.

The lake at Zell am See is now completely frozen, the ice 15cm thick and open for skating and walking (though keep an eye on the safety updates).

https://www.facebook.com/wasserrettungzellamsee/posts/203948733411367:0

And there are traffic restrictions in place on shipping on the Danube.

Good spot.

The icewalk across Zell lake is a classic.

Anyone vaguely in the area this week should divert there and walk it. Global warming means it is getting ever rarer.

snow report
@ajc2260626 yeah
snow conditions
Cracking day in Limone today making the most of the fresh snowfall - but 15-20cms of fresh cold light powder on a hard base made for quite a few problems.

We did just over 1,300m climbing - more snow just for Limone Friday onwards again in their own little "micro climate" - will be doing a more detailed trip report laters - but just a taster

ski holidays
Does the ECM have a slightly cooler outlook?

GSF looks awful for the beginning of next month (for the E Alps anyway). Strong Föhn and rain.
snow report
@snowheads68, a bit, but not much as far as I can see in the limits of my understanding. Clinging to ZAMG forecast on Bergfex for now and also that the warmth is continually pushed back. It was originally forecast from Saturday. Can our experts comment?
ski holidays
@snowheads68, if you didn't like the 12Z then don't even look at the 18Z. Looks like a real hairdryer of a föhn and rain. Christ, I hope I'm reading it wrong.

@nozawaonsen, @Jellybeans1000 What is the story with that 'broken' line of the operational in FI. It has been there in the same timescale as a massive mild outlier for at least a week now?
snow report
@robboj Link to chart?

The truth is that the Control isn't always with the Ensemble mean and/or most of the ensemble members. It goes wherever it thinks is best and sometimes it's right. This is normal. If it's way off the Ensemble mean, and by that I mean 15-20 degrees Celsius off, it's probably a bug. You'll have to take that up with NOAA.
ski holidays
@robboj, if you mean how the operational (not control!) run sometimes appears to have a gap roughly midway on wetterzentrale (so the thick green line), this happens as it switches between high res and low res and is an occasional glitch in the data.

Generally the more unsettled weather as we go into February looks more likely to benefit the southern side of the Alps and the Pyrenees. Temperatures will become milder (but the operational is quite an outlier from the ensembles in FI so we'll see where that settles).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy