Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
dan100 wrote:
starting to look quite optimistic for w/c 12th March in 3V Very Happy

Hope so, that's the day I arrive for two weeks!

Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, it's snowing in Les Saisies (Beaufortain) and I'm up early to drive family visitors to Geneva. It was 10 degrees when I put the car in the garage last night.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, there was a crazy Föhn blowing last night is Austria. Much colder this morning.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seems to be snowing in the Zillertal this morning.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Heavy snow here in Altenmarkt (Amade). Looking to be more than forecast if it continues for a few hours.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like it's raining in Morzine, quelle surprise Laughing

Here in Serre Che grey and windy cloud base way over 4k from the looks of things, and a fair S'ly blowing.

Glad we did the tour yesterday.

Now where's my umbrella that I need to pack Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam wrote:
And its not even March Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BergenBergen, ironically when we leave Tuesday it could actually be snowing in the village Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skiweather.eu reports that well over 80cm is to be expected in the Jungfrau region. Also, Paradiski and Espace Killy (+60cm) is looking very promising.

http://skiweather.eu/snowforecast/lt/

Conditions in the french and swiss Alps will improve massively according to their snow report.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nozawaonsen wrote:
@pam w, there was a crazy Föhn blowing last night is Austria. Much colder this morning.

Yup. Got to 16c yesterday but around freezing and snowing heavily now.

Pistes still in great condition due to all the snowmaking in Dec and Jan. Warm weather and rain hardly seems to make a dent on packed pistes till late season. Can see good piste conditions lasting into April.

Off piste different story of course. IMHO this is easily the worst season for natural snow in the last 12 years yet the pistes with snowmaking (now 80-90%) are in above average condition.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
leggyblonde wrote:
@LOTA, @medlington, the brown stuff is indeed sand blown in. I was there a few days ago (before the sand)and the piste conditions really were excellent.

thanks for confirming that Ill get booking my flights!

the pics did look bad and it had never crossed my mind it could be sand

[/img]
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam,

We are still touring here as well. We just don't advertise it as much as some wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weathercam wrote:

Here in Serre Che grey and windy cloud base way over 4k from the looks of things, and a fair S'ly blowing.

Glad we did the tour yesterday.

Now where's my umbrella that I need to pack Toofy Grin

I got drenched in Morzine in mid January last year, never have I been so miserable when skiing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bennisboy, Gore-Tex.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, bar
latest report
@rungsp, hmmm... depends on teh snow line really doesn't it? I have had some epic snow days around Avoriaz when it's been raining in Morzine.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Winter returning to Scotland in the next 1 to 7 days.

Perhaps 1-2ft of snow.

As predicted, Scotland got a puke this week.

But looks set to melt over the weekend and into next week.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1638550526172722
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Winter returning to Scotland in the next 1 to 7 days.

Perhaps 1-2ft of snow.

As predicted, Scotland got a puke this week.

But looks set to melt over the weekend and into next week.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1638550526172722

Not sure I follow the bit about next week. GFS ensembles suggest less than average temperatures and the Facebook link you sent says 'Into next week turning colder with further snow.' Puzzled
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Bennisboy, Gore-Tex.

Wasn't going to buy a new jacket for one day...
snow report
For a bit of perspective I had a curious look at the recent snow history of Serre Che (1350m) vs Morzine (1000m).
I would have expected SC to be way ahead, mainly due to significant altitude advantage. But the stats say otherwise.
Over last 4 years (2012 - 2016):
Total snowfall (inches) SC 584 MZ 759
No. of snowy days SC 140 MZ 126
Av base (inches) SC 20 MZ 21
http://www.onthesnow.com/northern-alps/morzine/historical-snowfall.html?&y=2016

Heading up there for a week of sch hols now....fingers crossed for tuesday.
ski holidays
I'm booked in at last, watching forecast with interest. Hoping for a low low rain snow limit, low enough to ski the trees.
snow report
@langball, Very Happy

It is of course a long way south of us, and as I remember, has pretty limited skiing, although the touring is good.
latest report
engadin wrote:
skiweather.eu reports that well over 80cm is to be expected in the Jungfrau region. Also, Paradiski and Espace Killy (+60cm) is looking very promising.

http://skiweather.eu/snowforecast/lt/

Conditions in the french and swiss Alps will improve massively according to their snow report.

as always this year have another look - zmatt went from 30 something inches expected to zero falling on friday and perhaps 6 or so for tues - which given the track record is suspect anyway. pistes here c minus - can no longer ski into town past alm though staying up high rewards with glorious views and nice cold beer and solid B grade pistes.

Chamonix still looking like they should improve - perhaps a road trip.
latest report
@nozawaonsen, What are your thoughts on the coming week in the Northern French Alps? Looks like some good snowfalls but at what altitudes?
latest report
Hey guys/gals, sometimes these meteogramms have red bars within the green snow bars at the bottom. Anyone know definitively what the red bars mean?http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_065455_g05.png
snow conditions
Right yesterday was lovely; fresh snow and sunshine in Saalbach, softening in the warm sunshine. Today warm and overcast, lower south facing slopes taking a beating on the plus side the Grill Hendl at the Hendl Fischerei was outstanding!

Coming up fresh snow and temperatures up and down as we go into spring. Strong winds too at times in the coming week which could be disruptive.

snow conditions
We are now coming into Spring, so FLs will get higher as we go further into spring.
But the forecast is looking excellent.

There is support on EC and GFS for 100cm+ over the next 10 days.

30-50cm in the next 4 days alone. This period will have FLs down to 800m.

Going to be a great start to spring! Many people I follow are calling this due to the current SSW.
snow report
Been more big snow in California.

A few more avalanches, recently.

http://youtube.com/v/zeX4u3pxg7s
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowing at my house, and in Seattle proper this morning. Been quite the winter on the West Coast. Talked with a former Tahoe skier on the chair lift yesterday. Some of the locals are getting sick of the snow. Every time it snows, it's not a small event, it's a major blizzard, and then it takes them days to dig out. There's no place to put the snow. Cali. should get a bit of a breather this week, as the storms will becoming out of the North Pacific this week, which means more snow on tap again this week for the PNW. Should give the BC resorts some snow, along with Idaho, and Wyoming later into the week and weekend.
ski holidays
Could really do with the professionals advice over the next couple of days please snowHead snowHead

Noza and other weather gods, got flights booked into Grenoble at the weekend, but haven't booked a accommodation yet, as trying to keep an eye on freezing levels over the next week. Not quite sure where the snow line is going to be, and would rather stay somewhere higher like Avoriaz/Tignes (don't mind driving) if there's likely to be any rain at resort level for lower resorts. Was originally thinking Valloire area just as we haven't been before and close enough, but remain open to suggestions. Of course I know with the snow predicted we will be able to get decent skiing wherever we go at higher levels and hopefully even moderate levels, but just trying to optimise the flexibility we have, cheers.
ski holidays
@neilkav, I'd head to Tignes. FL is up and down like a tart's knickers. End of French school holidays - you should have a great week.
snow conditions
@neilkav, I agree with @pam w. Just got back from Val d'Isere. The pistes were in a great condition despite the above freezing temps up to 2,900M. The pisteurs have done an amazing job this year - the piste snow is not going anywhere and with the forecast dumps this week will get even better.
snow conditions
@pam w, ha ha.
snow conditions
The snow line for the French Alps over the next few days is going to up and down in a range between 1000-1700m with heavy snow/rain depending where you are (heavier on the northern side). Strong winds are going to be a major feature. So go high to avoid rain and er... keep low to avoid wind.

Nevertheless by next weekend there will have been a lot of snow at altitude. Temperatures in FI look colder than average though mind you they were warmer than average a couple of runs ago.
snow report
Quote:

So go high to avoid rain and er... keep low to avoid wind

Very Happy
latest report
re Serre Chevalier:
zzz wrote:
@langball, Very Happy

It is of course a long way south of us, and as I remember, has pretty limited skiing, although the touring is good.

ski holidays
SLF forecast for Switzerland.

Through Tuesday, 28.2.2017

Throughout the Swiss Alps the weather will be very cloudy and windy. Precipitation will fall, which will be heavy in the west and in the eastern part of the main Alpine ridge. The snowfall level will be approximately 1000 to 1500 m in most places, but drop to low altitudes in the southern Alpine valleys.

Fresh snow

By Tuesday evening the following amounts of snow will fall above approximately 1500 m:

- Western Jura, Vaud and Fribourg Alps, northern and extreme west of Lower Valais, main Alpine ridge from from Val Medel to the Bernina Pass: 30 to 50 cm, and even more in some localities in the Trient region and from southern Val Bregaglia to the Piz Bernina

- Western Bernese Oberland, rest of Lower Valais, northern Upper Valais, rest of the central part of the southern flank of the Alps: 20 to 30 cm

- Other regions: 10 to 20 cm over a wide area, but less in the northern valleys exposed to the foehn wind

Temperature

At midday at 2000 m: about -3 °C over a wide area, and about 0 °C in the northern regions exposed to the foehn wind

Wind

Strong in the south, frequently storm force in the other regions, from the southwest
In the northern Alpine valleys, a strong foehn wind on Monday night

Outlook through Thursday, 2.3.2017

Wednesday

The persistently strong to storm force westerly wind
will give rise to changeable weather with a lot of cloud and bright intervals. Snow will fall frequently and the snowfall level will drop to low altitudes. In the south there will be a strong foehn wind on Tuesday night, and it will be predominantly sunny during the day on Wednesday in central and southern Ticino in particular. The avalanche danger will increase a little over a wide area.

Thursday

On Wednesday night snow will fall in the west and north. The precipitation will cease Thursday morning and be followed by quite sunny weather everywhere. The westerly wind will ease a little. In the south the avalanche danger will decrease. In the other regions it will not change significantly.
ski holidays
neilkav wrote:
Could really do with the professionals advice over the next couple of days please snowHead snowHead

Noza and other weather gods, got flights booked into Grenoble at the weekend, but haven't booked a accommodation yet, as trying to keep an eye on freezing levels over the next week. Not quite sure where the snow line is going to be, and would rather stay somewhere higher like Avoriaz/Tignes (don't mind driving) if there's likely to be any rain at resort level for lower resorts. Was originally thinking Valloire area just as we haven't been before and close enough, but remain open to suggestions. Of course I know with the snow predicted we will be able to get decent skiing wherever we go at higher levels and hopefully even moderate levels, but just trying to optimise the flexibility we have, cheers.

I'm still in Valloire for another 3 days, it's not snowing yet but I'm expecting to wake up to rain, sleet or (hopefully) snow. Either way, I'll be on the first lift and will report back at lunchtime.

The resort is a lot quieter this week, I hit no queues over 2 or 3 minutes today and most pistes up high are still very good though south facing runs, even at 2300m, were slushy by afternoon and it was very slow getting dow to the village. The only pistes that are closed are those that were closed until the end of January anyway. I've been out on my board about 30 days and have only bothered going over to Valmeiner twice.

Check the wind forecast as it's quite an exposed mountain and there have been several days when three quarters of the lifts were closed; hopefully not tomorrow!
snow conditions
@BoardieK, I'd expect strong winds tomorrow...
snow report
60kt winds are possible at 1500m on the North side of the Alps, over the next 4 days.
That's 4 knots down from cyclone strength winds.

I would stay inside, wait out the storm and then go and find your best powder pockets and rip it up!

You can see parts of Southern Switerzland getting 100cm+ in 5 days
If possible, be there! You won't regret it come Thursday.

@BoardieK looks like Valloire will pick up 50-60cm over the 5 day period.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy