Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 16/17 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Griggs wrote:
Hi

Heading out to Madonna Di Campiglio on the 26th March 2017 for a week. Be grateful for any weather experts thoughts on the potential for further snowfall for the Dolomites. Seems warm out there at the moment but with the possibility of the weather cooling after this coming weekend with potentially some precipitation.

Is this still the perceived outlook?

Many thanks

Got back from Madonna on Sunday 19th. Can't say how it will be next week but, I can suggest best times/ places to ski if it's as hot as last week. Groste sector gets very packed as snow softens, as everyone asumes height will preserve piste. But lack of shade means that Pradalago/5Laghi pistes are better between trees in afternoon and deserted after about 2:30.

Marilleva/Folgarida is good choice for middle of day if you're staying in MdC, skiing back towards end of afternoon against the returning rush of day trippers who have come up from the Val di Sole main road. Pistes on M/V side seem to hold out longer in heat, as they face more northerly.

Pinzolo slopes are great, but the snow deteriorated fast by end of last week and, unless temperatures drop significantly (for real snow and/ or snow making) it's best avoided.

The rule for Madonna is that pistes will be great if it's been cold enough overnight to make snow. The snowmaking and piste maintenance there is superb, but there's not enough at high altitude if weather is hot day and night.

Incidentally, if you have'nt been there before, Madonna is a fantastic choice for piste skiing in the right temperatures. I never thought I'd say this but I prefer it to every one of the major French resorts. Book a 3 star hotel directly, cheap flight to Verona, cheap transfers or hire car, & you'll save on cramped apartment holiday in France yet eat like lords, without sight of bloody raclette or tartiflette all week.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@amarcord Thank you so much for the great tips. Madonna has received a little snow recently and may get a bit more by Sunday. Temps don't look to be so crazy high next week so hopefully it will all hold out. Does look a great resort so am looking forward to ambling about exploring. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowheads68 wrote:
06Z flipped to a very warm next week. Hopefully the 12Z will flip back.

Still going for very warm. Looks like it could hit 20c next week.

Been very warm for a while now but amazingly still nearly 100% pistes open in Bad Gastein / Bad Hofgastein and all in very good condition. They did wonders during that very cold January.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowheads68, perhaps it would help if you'd say what resort/region you are talking about??
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
@snowheads68, perhaps it would help if you'd say what resort/region you are talking about??

Besides the region in my location and the resorts in my post?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowheads68 wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Besides the region in my location and the resorts in my post?

Yes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@amarcord, lots of folk have discovered that there is more to skiing than France!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lots of new snow to low altitude in the Pyrenees at the moment and also (but much at much higher altitudes) in the Southern Alps.

High avalanche risk all the same with lots of wind
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very low humidity under the anticyclone over the uk right now. Down to 20%. Anyone coughing a lot or have a dry nose. Lips dry ?

It's preserving the snow cover despite double digit temps in the highlands.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
30-35 cm of fresh in Tignes at 2100m this morning. Local avalanche risk declared as 4 (forecast by MF was 3 last night)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ding Dong Bluebird morning in Serre Che after similar amounts in the valley (which is now rapidly disappearing as temps nudge towards double figures at 1,400m).

And not too many people around Cool

Whole morning we did not cross any other tracks, apart from when we went back on the piste.

@KenX, working out his next line........
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, has that ridge been pisted so you can just drop in anywhere Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski, not all the time, but make it a hell of a lot easier to hike!

Plus you can do the long hike (20mins) and drop into another area, or into a steeper N facing pitch, or along to the Balme Couloir(s).

More photos in the Serre thread.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, cheers, I really should come and play!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Eight children dead in big slide near Tokyo today.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3041302#3041302
ski holidays
Any thoughts on the FL in Lech this weekend? 1 of the forecasts I was looking at said rain all the way up to 2000m but another one said it would be snow up top.
latest report
Some very warm and sunny spring weather of late. Skiing still possible down to bottom of Schladming, though very soft after 2pm. Obertauern a better bet. But by that time the Edelweisshutte probably the best bet anyway. Temperatures staying warm though unsettled over weekend.

The Arlberg

Chamonix

Cairngorm

Sestriere

Eastern Pyrenees

ski holidays
Colorado has had a bad snow season.

But ski bookings have been good, up +9% YoY.

A-Basin will be the last to close this year, around June 4, 2017.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/mountains/looking-to-ski-snowboard-in-colorado-these-resorts-are-closing-soon-for-the-season
snow report
@Whitegold, I was there and it defnitely wasn't a 'bad snow season'.
snow report
do I spy a trend towards a cooling period via GFS in Ischgl coming up to around the 7th April (or perhaps just back to seasonal norms!!)
latest report
Quote:

Jellybeans1000
user

@Whitegold, I was there and it defnitely wasn't a 'bad snow season

I wouldn't bother Jellybean.

It seems like every whitegold post is telling us it is the worst season ever or is going to be the worst season ever backed up with very little except doom mongering and photo's of the wrong resorts (see three valleys thread, claiming a picture of st Martin to be Les Men and a complete wash out when people who are there are saying it is absolutely fine)
ski holidays
According to bergfex I should be able to mountain bike tomorrow in the sun at temps up to 22 deg C
http://www.bergfex.at/hohewandwiese/wetter/

.... yet still be able to ski fresh powder at one of the local resorts next weekend
http://www.bergfex.com/hochkar/wetter/berg/

(weather reports subject to change and they probably ruddy well will now I've posted this)
snow report
Colorado going to get a storm rolling in Friday night into Saturday. Could see a foot of snow West of the Divide, places like Eldora and Breck should do okay. Down in the San Juans in SW CO could also get up to a foot of snow. Models not in alignment. As Whitegold alluded to, it was a bad snow year and some CO resorts only have 2-3 meter bases this time of year.
ski holidays
@kitenski Yep, a trough over the European Alps looks to cool thing down briefly...
latest report
Warmest March in 251 yearsin Austria and 26C in Salzburg yesterday. This after the coldest January in 30 years.

https://m.kurier.at/chronik/unser-neues-klima-der-waermste-maerz-in-251-jahren/255.576.470
ski holidays
Woke up to a white village in Sauze this morning and still snowing.
snow report
Yup. We left Plagne 1800 this morning in snow. About a cm on car windows to clear.
Interesting that most weather sites that predicted snow this weekend had been steadily retracting that idea.
Anyway, a cheery morning view for all this weekend's holidaymakers.
latest report
Drove through Montgenevre today, it was a winter wonderland and chucking it down.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fresh snow and sunshine for the Easter hols in Montgenevre

snow report
Any sign of a change in the temperature. I am off to Meribel on Sunday and it just looks like rain, rain and more rain right up to Val Thoren only turning to snow when you go higher than the resort.
I will take dry and no new snow but raining in resort is always a bit miserable.
ski holidays
Big storms and below average temps being forecast from mid to end of the month on the last few GFS runs.

Salzburgerland

Western Tirol

Chamonix (not so much stormy)

Zermatt
snow report
Stormy and unsettled weather returning to the West Coast. Sierra's getting some moisture with lowering freezing levels into the weekend. Forecasts for the next 72 hours could come in on the upper slopes with a meter, and about 50-70cm on lower slopes.

Breckenridge received over a foot yesterday, albeit reports were that the snow was on the heavier side.

PNW Cascades with somewhat warmish temps and freezing levels about 1,500 meters, and dropping to about 1,000 meters and 72 hour snow forecast on upper mtns to be anywhere from 10cm to possibly 40cm up higher, and farther North in Cascades toward Baker could see 50cm on upper slopes.

As a side note, Baker hit the 18 meter total snow fall for the season. Not too shabby! Cool
latest report
This could be interesting for Austria

snow report
AthersT, forgive my pedantry, but this word "storm" seems to be banded around a lot recently when all that is meant is snowfall.
Most of the definitions i can find suggest that Storm involves a degree of violence, usually with strong winds.
But here, while rain is just rain, snow always seems to come in a Storm.
Admittedly, snowfall does sometimes come with strong winds, but often is does not.
Is the term Storm getting devalued?
(or am i just an old fashioned fuddy-duddy? )
ski holidays
You are correct Jon..................

I silently correct grammar, too........
snow conditions
The final long term snow forecast update for this season from me... It's not all bad.
https://longrangesnowcenter.blogspot.com.au/2017/04/europe-on-long-term-7th-april-finale.html
ski holidays
Thank you all for such a wonderful season on here. Thank you to all the guys who spend their time posting great information including, with the risk of forgetting lots of people, Noza, snowheads68, langball, AthersT, davidof, Weathercam, Jonpim, jimmybog, chocksaway, Peter S, Toadman and of course Whitegold. Thank you to all the lurkers who keep this site viable and thriving. Thanks to admin for running this forum. I'm focusing on the start of the Australian Snow Season now, but will be back to talk long long term in June or is it July? Anyway, enjoy your summer all and cheers to a great spring skiing season and a better season come December. JB out Very Happy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 7-04-17 12:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Is the term Storm getting devalued?

Yes. Its one of those terms that is constantly used by American commentators and is now being picked up over here to incorrectly refer to any snowfall event or depression crossing the Alps. Add it to a rising inflection and .....yuck Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
@Jellybeans1000, many thanks!

Just realised your latest forecast goes all the way to end April but somewhat skipping the week that nearly 200 snowheads have their eyes on, 15-22. Any views there?
ski holidays
Thank you Peter S. It is as i thought.

Not sure which statementyou are agreeing with Maersk - probably the fuddy-duddy one . . . Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy