Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
I imagine there must be quite a few nervous ski resort managers out there praying for a good start to this season after a run of poor early seasons.

Equally future UK participation levels in snow sports must be uncertain now given how expensive alpine holidays are becoming? Is there a risk of our sport becoming unaffordable and therefore less relevant to younger people, in a similar way to golf Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Peter S, Golf is NOT a Sport Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Holiday 9.9% dearer fpr Brits than last year !

and some more bad news ....

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/brexit-no-deal-uk-personal-finances-impact-recession-a7996331.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@stanton, One of your problems is your inability to read the English language:
"Since the referendum, Brits are already spending 9.9% more on their foreign holidays" It does not say said holidays are dearer, just that we spent more.

It also says "Despite apoplectic predictions of escalating consumer prices, failure to reach an agreement with the EU is actually likely to lead to prices falling". It also mentions how we shouldn't be tasked with "keeping zombie businesses on the continent alive," and concludes "Commentators on both sides of the debate disagree about exactly what a no-deal Brexit might do to and for the nation’s finances ".
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Strax,

janny wrote:
it's really simple: brexiteers are w*nkers and cu*ts and talk sh*te; of course the price of our hols has gone up; of course that trend will continue. the UK is fu*ked. simple as. if i could get another eu nationality i would. tomorrow.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It appears Janny's grasp of English is almost as bad as yours. Janny don't let the door hit you on the way out.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter S wrote:
I imagine there must be quite a few nervous ski resort managers out there praying for a good start to this season after a run of poor early seasons.

Equally future UK participation levels in snow sports must be uncertain now given how expensive alpine holidays are becoming? Is there a risk of our sport becoming unaffordable and therefore less relevant to younger people, in a similar way to golf Puzzled

People are giving up golf in order to fart around on bikes, go very slowly and eat cake. In fact, I should add that cyclists spend far more than they did when they golf.

The reason they've given up is that golf is too hard and people were only doing it to get away from the family - so now cycling offers the same escape and anyone can actually ride a bike! Then they sit around offices all day crapping on about gear sets or somesuch instead of losing weight, which would make them go far faster!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

I do believe your graph was premature Stanton.....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Get your sick bag Stanton
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

And finally for our good friend Stanton
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PaulC1984, ftse does not mean anything unless your invested. Most average people or below it means nothing.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stanton, the 100 not for most, that's risen mainly due to the pound. The 250 and 350 though is more important, both also very strong.

Plus your graph trying to show a plumeting pound was a little premature don't you agree Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
PaulC1984 wrote:
@stanton, the 100 not for most, that's risen mainly due to the pound. The 250 and 350 though is more important, both also very strong.

Plus your graph trying to show a plumeting pound was a little premature don't you agree Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Rumours are that he's often premature. Especially with young boys snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
@PaulC1984, ftse does not mean anything unless your invested. Most average people or below it means nothing.

A lot of UK pensions have quite a dependance on FTSE companies' performance, as do many equity ISAs.
snow conditions
PaulC1984 wrote:

Of course the FTSE rose. It's valued in GBP. IF the pound falls in relative value, the FTSE increases correspondingly.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
stanton wrote:

A lot of UK pensions have quite a dependance on FTSE companies' performance, as do many equity ISAs.

This is true, which Stanton won't like.

What I meant regards the 250 and 350 is they tend to be more UK based companies, which A is good for UK as a whole and B more uk peeps will tend to have shares in
ski holidays
snoozeboy wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:

Of course the FTSE rose. It's valued in GBP. IF the pound falls in relative value, the FTSE increases correspondingly.

You are not wrong, and I stated that, but the FTSE100 has hit a high this week whilst the £ has stayed at the same level, in fact is higher than several weeks ago.
ski holidays
Badbobby wrote:
Peter S wrote:

People are giving up golf in order to fart around on bikes, go very slowly and eat cake. In fact, I should add that cyclists spend far more than they did when they golf.

The reason they've given up is that golf is too hard and people were only doing it to get away from the family - so now cycling offers the same escape and anyone can actually ride a bike! Then they sit around offices all day crapping on about gear sets or somesuch instead of losing weight, which would make them go far faster!

PMSL
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
snow report
The Germans control where your currency is going

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-13/pound-heads-for-weekly-gain-on-hopes-for-brexit-transition-deal
ski holidays
@snoozeboy, I'm no Economist, but I don't understand that logic? The value of a UK company is not directly related to the value of the Euro. When the pound falls the FTSE often rises as the (intelligent) investors overseas buy UK shares. Despite the c*ck one reads on here, the markets still fancy the chances of little ol' UK to succeed after Brexit. Where as those remaining like @stanton, suck seed. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

The Germans control where your currency is going

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-13/pound-heads-for-weekly-gain-on-hopes-for-brexit-transition-deal

No @stanton, they control YOUR currency. We're heading for the exit, because y'all tried German rule before, and we didn't like it! Laughing
ski holidays
Strax wrote:
@snoozeboy, I'm no Economist, but I don't understand that logic? The value of a UK company is not directly related to the value of the Euro. When the pound falls the FTSE often rises as the (intelligent) investors overseas buy UK shares. Despite the c*ck one reads on here, the markets still fancy the chances of little ol' UK to succeed after Brexit...

Unfortunately, whilst your explanation is possible, it's not the main reason and I hope you didn't read it on the side of a bus Happy A "thriving" FTSE post Brexit vote is a bit of a red herring.

The main reason why the FTSE increases when the GBP falls is that the majority of revenue for FTSE100 companies is outside the UK (with a worrying amount from the EU) and therefore not in GBP. Therefore as the GBP falls the overseas revenue is valued higher, in more GBP and the FTSE 100 revenue appears to increase, without having recieved any direct effect from the performance of those companies. Of course, cheaper exports can have an effect as the GBP weakens, but that's a different effect and not so directly related to Forex. There are other factors in the opposite direction, but it's too boring to discuss on a ski forum and anyway, the above is the overriding one.
ski holidays
@snoozeboy, So those EU investors have a bead on the TO and margin of the FTSE100 companies on a live feed?
Incredible; I mean its literally not credible.
Any fool can see that an EU investor gets better ROI when the Pound falls.
snow report
@snoozeboy, +1
snow conditions
Strax wrote:
@snoozeboy, So those EU investors have a bead on the TO and margin of the FTSE100 companies on a live feed?
Incredible; I mean its literally not credible.
Any fool can see that an EU investor gets better ROI when the Pound falls.

Possibly you have a point. But it's not the main reason for the direct relationship between... oh I'm not going to go through it all again.

Here's a similar explanation, with pictures and it doesn't just apply to the UK and Brexit. It applies to any economy which has a large influence from non-domestic-currency trade:
http://www.schroders.com/en/us/insights/equities/how-indexes-rise-when-currencies-fall--explained-in-two-charts/

You may call it incredible, but I think you meant, didntunderstandable. You did mention you're no economist, so why argue?

And on that bombshell, I'm out. Enjoy the skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Strax, you do not understand. You must be a brexit dumbo. There seems to bevlot on this forum
ski holidays
@stanton, as apposed to someone who's every prediction has come true for the last 2 years......
snow report
The tourist exchange rate for one currency isn't really the big issue. That's why the Bank of England uses the 'Trade-weighted £' to follow the costs of imports. This is the value of the £ against our main trading partners. Unfortunately, this dropped 15% after the Leave vote and is still around there. So imports since the Leave vote have cost an additional £80bn. And that takes into account the modest increase in exports (3.5%). What's not come true is the 'don't worry about a drop in the £' prediction that a devalued £ meant exports were cheaper, so there'd be an export explosion. But there hasn't been. This is about £3,000 per household that we have collectively paid out (just to give an idea of the scale - not all imports go directly into households, obviously).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 14-10-17 12:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@LaForet, not entirely. The £3k per household is a fair enough figure, but of course a lot of that will have been soaked up in loss of profits for businesses (which in turn effect Corp tax returns etc)
latest report
@LaForet, firm I used to work for has been doing very nicely indeed from export orders since the referendum. Mind you, it did examine the way it was structured, including aspects such as management, production and marketing - and it looked outside Europe. Maybe other British firms need to sharpen up similarly.
snow report
I agree that there are loads of good exporters, and of course, if you're exporting services then you have no raw materials. The £3K is just meant to try and put £80bn into terms more familiar to the average person. We get lots of very big numbers thrown around in the media (on both sides of the argument) but often they're hard to put in context. And as mentioned, not all imports are to households: a lot is to industry and is raw materials which are then exported again as higher-margin goods.

We get a lot of forecasts about good/bad future consequences of Leave/Remain. But it's all a bit speculative.

My concern is that we were told that if there was a Leave result, not to worry about any devaluation: Yes, imports would cost more, but exports would be cheaper, foreigners would buy more, and we'd end up in credit. BoE figures to date say this hasn't happened and the gap between the cost of imports and the value of exports was £80bn in the last 12 months.

For some people, the notional £250/month is 'a price worth paying' for the promised benefits of Brexit. Which of course, to some extent we won't start to realise until 2019+. And/or is worth it for other perceived, non-financial benefits. But it's a hefty sum accruing in the 'debit' column and I think people are starting to ask what is in the 'credit' column, how much it will be, and when it will appear? I don't expect a Forum to answer this, but I do expect it from some of the key political proponents and the Government.
ski holidays
@LaForet, the firm I mentioned manufactures - though there is a design element. Raw material costs are heavily USD oriented. That cost it big time in 2008, then the USD was fairly steady until mid 2014 from when it kept worsening until the recent GBP upturn, However, there is considerable value added based on GBP, both in terms of R&D and production.

Service industries such as software design suffer little from import costs, so they should be flourishing. I wonder if the figures are right
snow report
Quote:
Since this time last year, the cost of a break has gone down in 15 of the 22 European destinations surveyed, due to a combination of lower prices in resorts and an improved exchange rate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/cheapest-ski-resorts-in-europe-winter-2017/
snow conditions
Looking at the two surveys 2017 vs 2016) the numbers look like they are comparing apples vs pears. Apparently the cost of holiday has reduced in Mayrhofen from GBP1,509 to GBP 499. Selva from GBP 1, 549 to GBP 495

Also using a rate from sept 16 versus oct 17.

Difficult to make any conclusions based on the data they are using since they seem to have changed the price benchmarks or number of people it relates to.
ski holidays
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/my-travel/ski-report-2016

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/my-travel/ski-report-2017
ski holidays
Those figures are really strange. How has a 2016 6 day ski pass in Andora gone from £720 in 2016 down to £220 the next year?

Or how Ski Hire and Ski school this year is a third of the price from the previous year? What am i missing here?

Food and drinks are all higher in 2017.
latest report
Pound took a hit a short while ago on the rumour of walking away "Talks Crash"

Depending On Thursday´s EU meeting we may see parity by the end of this week .
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy