Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
Wednesday, 22 August 2018 08:16

Sharma and the Bank of America team forecast the Pound will fall to 1.10 against the US Dollar if the UK leaves the EU without a withdrawal agreement. They predict a Pound-to-Euro rate of 0.9565 in such a scenario.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are they using the same predictive methods as you are?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stanton wrote:
Wednesday, 22 August 2018 08:16

Sharma and the Bank of America team forecast the Pound will fall to 1.10 against the US Dollar if the UK leaves the EU without a withdrawal agreement. They predict a Pound-to-Euro rate of 0.9565 in such a scenario.

Sharma is a person who works for the Bank of America.
misplaced & there.

How about the full quote?

However, they say the prospect of this happening is low. Instead the PM is likely to agree a "soft Brexit" that leaves the Pound-to-Dollar rate trading around 1.32 at the end of March 2019 and the Pound-to-Euro rate around the 1.1478 level.

The Pound-to-Dollar rate was 0.15% lower at 1.2884 and the Pound-to-Euro rate 0.12% lower at 1.1134 during early trading Wednesday.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All you UK folks who use credit cards ...increase charges on the way when using in the EU

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/how-to-prepare-if-the-uk-leaves-the-eu-with-no-deal
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton wrote:
All you UK folks who use credit cards ...increase charges on the way when using in the EU

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/how-to-prepare-if-the-uk-leaves-the-eu-with-no-deal

Can also add that roaming charges for mobiles will return and that the IP restrictions on content will also be enforced - Amazon Prime/Netflicks etc doesn't travel
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Instead the PM is likely to agree a "soft Brexit"

Well, you never know your luck!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FrediKanoute wrote:
stanton wrote:

Can also add that roaming charges for mobiles will return and that the IP restrictions on content will also be enforced - Amazon Prime/Netflicks etc doesn't travel

What makes you say that? it's EU legislation that stopped the roaming charges, nothing to say that the mobile operators will not continue that agreement post leave.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FrediKanoute wrote:
stanton wrote:

What happen to Yanks travelling in the EU atm? how do they get around it/cope?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ansta1 wrote:
FrediKanoute wrote:

What makes you say that? it's EU legislation that stopped the roaming charges, nothing to say that the mobile operators will not continue that agreement post leave.

Indeed - I've seen it mentioned that the mobile operators probably won't reintroduce roaming charges. They all have operations in the rest of the EU anyway so it won't incur additional costs. It would only need one Co. to not do it and the rest would have to do the same (unless there's collusion of course... Smile )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arctic Roll wrote:

They're too busy watching Corrie, visiting London and drinking Craft Ale to notice NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arctic Roll wrote:
FrediKanoute wrote:
stanton wrote:

I have a Starling Bank Card & a Revoult Travel card.
I can load GBP & then transfer to EUR or USD (& other currencies & crypto) via the app.
No fees.
Used throughout my trip in America in June & not a single extra/hidden fees.
I would still expect the same & nothing to change, compared to using my main bank account who give crap exchange rates & hit you with handling charges.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr.Egg wrote:
I would still expect
??

Sleep walking talk ..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
I would still expect
??

Sleep walking talk ..

no
the way starling bank works.

My main account charges fees if I use the card abroad. first they give a crappy exchange rate, then they add in a handling fee & a 3rd fee for actually using the card.
Starling Bank charge nothing as I can convert my GBP into another currency & pay in local currency. So no crappy exchange rate, no handling fee & no card fee.
Since I was charges no fees while using it in USA, I cant see why it would be any different to using in the future with Euros.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Halifax Clarity Card does the same for me. Best (allegedly) rate and no fees.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Breaking....

THE POUND hit a new 11-month low against the euro, as it briefly dropped below €1 to 90.98 cents.
snow report
stanton wrote:
Breaking....

THE POUND hit a new 11-month low against the euro, as it briefly dropped below €1 to 90.98 cents.

its either a typo in the article (maybe 1.0998?), or you are talking about the rip off exchange rates they give in airports.
ski holidays
No think he's just got it wrong AGAIN! He's seems to be quoting €>£. 1€ is 90p ...ish.
ski holidays
I think nursey forgot the evening medication. He saying a Euro is worth 90 cents.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 29-08-18 11:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Revlut tells me it’s 1.10 currently
snow report
Prior to Brexit it was for a short time 1.3
snow conditions
For a family converting GBP 1,000 for spending money, it means EUR200 less available to spend. It’s not to be sniffed at.

We have noticed that life feels more expensive when travelling on the continent.
ski holidays
I think
snow report
it's called
snow report
currency fluctuation
snow report
Bennyboy1 wrote:
For a family converting GBP 1,000 for spending money, it means EUR200 less available to spend. It’s not to be sniffed at.

We have noticed that life feels more expensive when travelling on the continent.

around last week of feb
2009 = €1.11 = £1
2010 = €1.13
2011 = €1.17
2012 = €1.18
2013 = €1.14
2014 = €1.21
2015 = €1.35
2016 = €1.26
2017 = €1.17
ski holidays
@Layne, no sh%* Sherlock. But still fact. Currently the fluctuation has been caused by Brexit. Next time trump farts there may be another big fluctuation but the fact still remains that we all have less cash in our pockets as a result of Brexit (except the mogg* brigade)

* did anyone’s kids watch the Demon Headmaster series in the 90’s? Bit of a resemblance.
latest report
stanton wrote:
Breaking....

Another #stantonfact..... wink Laughing
snow conditions
Bennyboy1 wrote:
* did anyone’s kids watch the Demon Headmaster series in the 90’s? Bit of a resemblance.

He was actually a dead ringer for Jack Straw!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bennyboy1, in terms of currency fluctuations there are no "facts" as such. I'm not denying there hasn't been a hit from Brexit or more pertinently during this phase of Brexit. But it hit 1.05 after the recession and it's been up a 1.75 in the early noughties. Over the years in regards of travelling on the continent you are going to win some and lose some. Unless you are doing big deals like buying/selling property it's not going to amount to much. And certainly, as regards Brexit, there are bigger issues than than I bit of spendo on skiing holidays. This thread has been going over two years now. Not sure what the end game is? Not that there has to be one of course.
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Bennyboy1 wrote:

around last week of feb
2009 = €1.11 = £1
2010 = €1.13
2011 = €1.17
2012 = €1.18
2013 = €1.14
2014 = €1.21
2015 = €1.35
2016 = €1.26
2017 = €1.17

Things are a lot more expensive in EU ski areas than they were in 2009 even 2013 ....

You are paying a lot more which ever way you try to look at it !
ski holidays
Travel companies warn European holiday prices set to rise
31% as a result of Brexit Survey points to 25,000
UK jobs in the sector also at risk and warns of the damage to UK
businesses and training opportunities for young people.

http://sbit.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/SBIT-A-Crisis-Looming-Aug-2018-PRESS-RELEASE-AUG-2018.pdf

https://www.inthesnow.com/200-travel-companies-predict-31-ski-holiday-price-rises-and-25000-job-losses-from-brexit/
snow report
@stanton, is actually Eeyore and I claim my £5.
snow report
@Gordyjh, I think Eeyore might have something to say about that!
ski holidays
@Layne, I agree.

But no end game I think. Even after Brexit there will be continuing EU growth versus Uk growth discussions which will lead to FX forecasts of different situations.

Or Stanton gives up....
snow report
Well it seems to have recovered quite a bit today - the disappointment must be unbearable
snow report
stanton wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Bennyboy1 wrote:

around last week of feb
2009 = €1.11 = £1
2010 = €1.13
2011 = €1.17
2012 = €1.18
2013 = €1.14
2014 = €1.21
2015 = €1.35
2016 = €1.26
2017 = €1.17

Things are a lot more expensive in EU ski areas than they were in 2009 even 2013 ....

& most folk earn a lot more in 2018 than they did in 2009 & 2013
At the end of the day, I only earn X, my Bills & and savings are Y & I get to spend Z
Z just means I might end up with less beer money.
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
stanton wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Bennyboy1 wrote:

around last week of feb
2009 = €1.11 = £1
2010 = €1.13
2011 = €1.17
2012 = €1.18
2013 = €1.14
2014 = €1.21
2015 = €1.35
2016 = €1.26
2017 = €1.17

At the end of the day, I only earn X, my Bills & and savings are Y & I get to spend Z

So taking Stantw@s comparison stating things are a lot more expensive than 2009.....

Of course the price of items go up, that's normal. With it salaries increase.

My salary has more than doubled since then (not taking into account investments, bonuses, rental property etc)

My ski holidays certainly haven't doubled...... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
stanton wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Bennyboy1 wrote:

around last week of feb
2009 = €1.11 = £1
2010 = €1.13
2011 = €1.17
2012 = €1.18
2013 = €1.14
2014 = €1.21
2015 = €1.35
2016 = €1.26
2017 = €1.17

So taking Stantw@s comparison stating things are a lot more expensive than 2009.....

My salary has more than doubled since then (not taking into account investments, bonuses, rental property etc)

snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:

But your situation is NOT the norm. For most people salaries have been rising at 2%pa or less since 2009 so salaries have risen by more like 20% and probably none of the extra's you list. Prices have been rising at more like 3%pa or around 30% more since 2009 so most people have less to spend in real terms on their ski holiday which is probably costing a lot more regardless of Brexit and currency fluctuations!
latest report
PaulC1984 wrote:

But your situation is NOT the norm. For most people salaries have been rising at 2%pa or less since 2009 so salaries have risen by more like 20% and probably none of the extra's you list. Prices have been rising at more like 3%pa or around 30% more since 2009 so most people have less to spend in real terms on their ski holiday which is probably costing a lot more regardless of Brexit and currency fluctuations!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy