Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
jolo wrote:
2 adults 2 kids, £200 more on accommodation, ski lessons are more than £100 dearer - combination of no early bird offer, price increase and exchange rate. From what I can tell the family ski pass is only about 26 euros dearer this year but significantly (£100) dearer because of exchange rate.

To be fair I think the increase in accommodation price is because the week we are going falls absolutely high season, whereas last year, although we were away for xmas day, it wasn't high, high season - if that makes sense?

Are the ski lessons also dearer because it's "peak" week?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm already economising. Here you can pay anything berween 4€ and 8.50€ for a pint so ..... 😋 À simple lunch for 2 in Chambéry yesterday was only 35€ but that cost à few £ more than à few months ago. My season pass will probably be 650€ but again cost me more in réal terms, and as for my replacement windows Shocked I'm only thankful that I changed as much as I could afford at 1.4 last year which is paying for a lot of my rénovation work.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/14/brexit-has-added-300-to-family-holidays-6067635/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
you bloody brits!!!!Laughing

Seems o be having a knock on to Ireland to with TO all being about €100 more expensive this year than last!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Stecleary84, Happy

The conspiracy theorist in me says either

A) They are using brexit as an excuse to boost profits or

B) Are predicting a great winter for snow after the last 2 mediocre ones and are pushing up costs as the know we will pay it.

Just go off TO, that way you avoid most of the increases, simples
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Stecleary84, - you're in a brillient position! Book with a UK company in £ (so you get the benefit of the exchange rather than the loss) without travel and then book your own flight in euros. Sorted!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The £ is still worth more than the €. It would cost me a lot more to do it that way
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chocksaway wrote:
Quote:

The British peso is in freefall vs. international currency

Why are you moaning - you can pick your own currency when you have voted for Independence, which would have to be the Euro if you then join the EU as that is non-negotiable for a joining country.

Incorrect actually!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pound s buying less than One Euro.

Http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-pound-sterling-euro-exchange-rate-drop-airports-bureaux-de-change-a7196001.html
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton wrote:
Pound s buying less than One Euro, IN AIRPORTS

Fixed your post for you.
I've always been amazed at people changing money in airports or waiting until they get to their destination. Utter madness. I even laugh at people withdrawing cash in airport ATM's.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@stanton, Only if you are stupid - most still offering 1.13 to the tourist (which is still not great).

@Irrev, from http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/euro/adoption/index_en.htm

"The euro area includes those EU Member States that have adopted the single currency. But the euro area is not static – under the Treaty, all EU Member States have to join the euro area once the necessary conditions are fulfilled, except Denmark and the United Kingdom which have negotiated an 'opt-out' clause that allows them to remain outside the euro area".
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Im not going to try predict the future in currency markets but fact is sterling has been in steady decline against the euro.
My holiday is of course more expensive because of this , no argument there.
At present i have £2000 sterling i want to change but i stalled at 1.20 so currently im down a few hundred euro at that decision.
My Revolut card is offering €1.15 and im tempted to take it

What measures can anyone see that might stop this steady decline?
Can anyone envisage 1.20 by winter?
my personal feeling is we will be sub 1.10 by then if not close to parity with banks and exchanges.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wonder if there's a correlation between those voting Brexit and changing at airports. Both need a certain level of stupudity imo!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway wrote:
@stanton, Only if you are stupid - most still offering 1.13 to the tourist (which is still not great).

"The euro area includes those EU Member States that have adopted the single currency. But the euro area is not static – under the Treaty, all EU Member States have to join the euro area once the necessary conditions are fulfilled, except Denmark and the United Kingdom which have negotiated an 'opt-out' clause that allows them to remain outside the euro area".

While it is theoretically non-negotiable for new members, it does rely on meeting the necessary conditions. And it isn't difficult to avoid meeting those conditions. One of them is to be a part of ERM II for two years, and joining that is voluntary.

This is how come Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Sweden are not "yet" Euro currency.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hawkwind wrote:
Im not going to try predict the future in currency markets but fact is sterling has been in steady decline against the euro.
My holiday is of course more expensive because of this , no argument there.
At present i have £2000 sterling i want to change but i stalled at 1.20 so currently im down a few hundred euro at that decision.
My Revolut card is offering €1.15 and im tempted to take it

What measures can anyone see that might stop this steady decline?
Can anyone envisage 1.20 by winter?
my personal feeling is we will be sub 1.10 by then if not close to parity with banks and exchanges.

We have been there before. The rate was down below 1.10 for several months in 2008-2009, reaching 1.02 at the worst point. It didn't stop most of us holidaying in Europe.
snow conditions
@alex_heney,
I appreciate that but im posting on the assumption that we are talking about next season being more expensive compared to last.
Whilst it wont stop most going away regardless , as the title suggests , this season is going to be a lot more expensive.
No amount of argument or manipulation of figures is going to change that
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
This is how come Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Sweden are not "yet" Euro currency.

And from my holiday trip to Poland last week I gained the impression that the Poles have very little enthusiasm for joining the Euro - they much prefer keeping their own currency the zloty. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
hawkwind wrote:
@alex_heney,
I appreciate that but im posting on the assumption that we are talking about next season being more expensive compared to last.
Whilst it wont stop most going away regardless , as the title suggests , this season is going to be a lot more expensive.
No amount of argument or manipulation of figures is going to change that

That depends on what you define as "a lot".

It is looking likely to be around 10-12% more for accommodation/food/lift passes etc. based on exchange rates, flights are more dependent on oil prices than exchange rates, although the £ to $ rate has an influence on that of course.

For those taking typical half board or chalet board TO holidays, it is likely to be less of an increase than that (this coming season) - prices look very similar at the moment to what they were this time last year.
latest report
Last year my season ticket cost me £511. Assuming spot rate is still at 1.15 when I buy next season's in October it will cost £613. Hardly any increase in the cost in €, all because of exchange rate change.
snow report
My prediction still stands. £1 = €1 or less.

Brexit is to blame. Uncertainty until 2019 is the reason for the new currency fall this week.

I know Airports etc give bad rates but fact is that some folk do exchange at these places or they would not exist.

The £ may of been at €1.10 or €1.02 in 2007/8 but prices in the Euro Ski Towns has dramatically increased since then!!

The other thing to bear in mind (especially Austria) if they see their booking numbers €€€ down prices tend to go up (to make up the shortfall) not down.
ski holidays
Pound rises against the euro by one cent since my last post.
latest report
@stanton, thing is though, anyone who does buy at those rates at the airport deserves to get stung. Its idiotic.

Regards your coment on prices, its simple - shop around, haggle, and try to keep away from TOs - really not that difficult and as ive said before, this year ive got my accomodation cheaper, which offsets the increase in lift pass price, transfers etc due to exchange rate.

Im sorry but anyone who doesnt do this if they have the choice get no sympathy. (I also bought enough euros to last 2 years at their height predicting the fall after brexit, but appreciate not everyone can could do that)
snow report
If you book in advance you can get good rates for pick up at the airport.
snow conditions
@alex_heney,
sorry to laugh but 10-12% is immeasurable , imagine getting a 10% pay rise or 10% return on savings Smile
no matter how you look at it a 10% rise is dramatic and that effects everything from initial costs to your cup of coffee on the slopes.
Again bringing it back to the very simple fact , that as things stand this season is going to be a lot more expensive than last and leaving the Euro is the only reason for it.
ski holidays
to add something positive to the thread as i have succumb to debating on the interwebs!

get a revolut card https://revolut.com/ or an alternative.

They are a game-changer when buying currency for the ordinary man and woman
ski holidays
@hawkwind,

haha like it some Breixt folks just do not get it & you have made a good point.

Could also put it like in simple terms

2 litres of milk cost €1.00 last month now its €1.19c. Folks say ok that nothing, its only 19 cents who cares...

However turn into a percentage & its nearly a 20% rise Shocked Shocked

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 18-08-16 17:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink,
I spend a lot of holidays in Poland , i love the place esp the south among the Tatra mountains , i first learned to ski there Smile

I felt over the last few years a lot of them were keen to join but were very confident in their govt being sure it was the right "time" so also in no hurry.
Seems a lot of foreign investment in land and property which i calculated as a likely move to euros although there was something to do with swiss and zloty.
Not so sure it would be the right move now , i guess they feel they have so far weathered the storm and better the devil you know.
Long term i like Poland , its on my list of places to escape to if the UK collapses Smile
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
@hawkwind,

haha ....... A litre of milk cost €1.00 last month now its €1.19c. Shocked Shocked

Here in Tescoland 2.272 litres (4 pints in old money) costs £1.00, Brexit or not even Waitrose match that price!

Point being that we can expect pricier skiing next year overall, but exactly which factors of a ski holiday will cost more/less/same is relative. Eat more on the mountain or less, drink more apres or less. Lift passes for 5/6/7 days ski more or less days, buy new skis this season or next, change boots next season or later..... I think that I'll cut my cloth according to what I've got left on my credit cards, and the choices that Mrs Skimastaaah will make for me. Overall I'm looking to enjoy my time on snow just as much as always, and I'm looking to fund/spend just as much as always. snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hawkwind, +1 for revolut card
snow report
Quote:

Here in Tescoland 2.272 litres (4 pints in old money) costs £1.00, Brexit or not even Waitrose match that price!

milk is astonishingly cheap for such a high quality food. So are bananas. when I was a student my regular lunch was half a pint of milk, a bread roll and a banana.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:

"HAVE to join": in practice the alignment process can defer euro adoption indefinitely, for example Sweden, going on for 13 years or so now.
snow conditions
hawkwind wrote:
@alex_heney,
sorry to laugh

Any clues what you are laughing about?

Quote:

but 10-12% is immeasurable ,

It is easily measurable, I have no idea why you used that word.

Quote:

imagine getting a 10% pay rise or 10% return on savings Smile
no matter how you look at it a 10% rise is dramatic and that effects everything from initial costs to your cup of coffee on the slopes.

To some people, a 10% rise is not that dramatic. And as I said, based on what I have seen so far, it doesn't look like the typical cost of a package holiday for next season is any higher than it was last season - and that is the biggest part of teh cost for most.

Quote:

Again bringing it back to the very simple fact , that as things stand this season is going to be a lot more expensive than last and leaving the Euro is the only reason for it.

As I said, it depends how you define "a lot". And to be pedanbtic, we weer never in the Euro, and assuming you meant voting to leave the EU, how on earth you can claim to know it is the only reason for it, I have no idea.

Currency fluctuates all the time, for a wide variety of reasons. The Brexit vote has undoubtedly had an effect, but it is hard to gauge how much.
latest report
@alex_heney, LOL
Yeah your right mate , we can all chill out now Smile
latest report
alex_heney wrote:
, it doesn't look like the typical cost of a package holiday for next season is any higher than it was last season - and that is the biggest part of teh cost for most.

There's a massive difference for me and i'm guessing its because if using a TO in Ireland its only british companies we can book with .

March 2014 Hotel St Gothard, Arinsal, HB, Ski hire, Lift Passes and lessons -€703 pp

March 2015 Hotel Patagonian Arinsal, HB, Ski hire, Lift Passes and lessons -€755 pp (we wanted to try a different hotel)

March 2016 Hotel St Gothard, Arinsal, HB, Ski hire, Lift Passes and lessons - €715

March 2017 Hotel St Gothard, Arinsal, HB, Ski hire, Lift Passes and lessons - €874 Shocked

All packages included flights and transfers

That a bloody big jump.

We will now be looking at booking everything ourselves like we would for a sun holiday.
snow report
@Stecleary84,

Use skyscanner and dont forget you can also fly from belfast
AirBnb and Homeaway are great for digs.
snow report
@Stecleary84, why don't you try a different resort? If you're doing a DIY you'll probably find better connections to Geneva, Munich or Milan. Flying from Scotland I normally end up going Edinburgh - Munich then hiring a car and driving to Austria. Most or the resorts are only a couple of hours from Munich, all easy driving. Some are accessible by train.
snow conditions
Valkyrie wrote:
@Stecleary84, why don't you try a different resort?

I'm willing to try a different resort, and am very open to suggestions, my wife on the other hand rolling eyes
we have friends in Arinsal so its nice to catch up with them too
snow conditions
Stecleary84 wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
, it doesn't look like the typical cost of a package holiday for next season is any higher than it was last season - and that is the biggest part of teh cost for most.

There's a massive difference for me and i'm guessing its because if using a TO in Ireland its only british companies we can book with .

March 2014 Hotel St Gothard, Arinsal, HB, Ski hire, Lift Passes and lessons -€703 pp

March 2015 Hotel Patagonian Arinsal, HB, Ski hire, Lift Passes and lessons -€755 pp (we wanted to try a different hotel)

March 2016 Hotel St Gothard, Arinsal, HB, Ski hire, Lift Passes and lessons - €715

March 2017 Hotel St Gothard, Arinsal, HB, Ski hire, Lift Passes and lessons - €874 Shocked

All packages included flights and transfers

That a bloody big jump.

We will now be looking at booking everything ourselves like we would for a sun holiday.

Ouch!

It seems really odd that there aren't Irish TOs for ski holidays. And if that jump were down to exchange rate, you would expect it to cancel out, in that while the price in £ would be higher, it wouldn't be much higher in €.

I can only go by what I am looking at - and this time last year, the Austrian hotels I was checking were all between £550 and £650 with Crystal, and they are in the same sort of range now (for a week in 1st or 2nd week of January). By the time I actually booked in December, they were around £100 cheaper than that - which will be the real test of any increase.

Ooooh - I just checked again, and the first page of results are now down to under £500, including two hotels I have stayed at before Smile I paid £460 for the Hotel Bruckenwirt last year, and the Hotel Fischer in the same resort (which was about £40 more expensive last year) is now showing at £481 - they aren't doing the Bruckenwirt this year.
latest report
I suspect TOs are using the economic uncertainty to add a bit of 'F up factor' to their prices in case of further changes to exchange rate or to makes and extra few £. Very annoying but you can understand why they do it since they take on the risk
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

milk is astonishingly cheap for such a high quality food. So are bananas. when I was a student my regular lunch was half a pint of milk, a bread roll and a banana.
That is because the UK supermarkets give the dairy farmers a very low price often below the cost of production. Dairy farmers are giving up as they can't afford to continue. The UK is becoming more and more dependent on imported milk.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy