Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next Season is going to be lot more Expensive!

Poster: A snowHead
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Am I missing something. I'm seeing £-€ 1.1 and £-$ 1.3

Yes but you are probably not on crystal meth and welfare.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Norrin Radd wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Norrin Radd wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

Do you know Bob Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skimastaaah,

Let's raise a toast to materialism, eh? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimastaaah wrote:
@stanton, ..... is Kim Jong Un ................ I claim my £5 ---- or my 4.50 Euros. Madeye-Smiley

Maybe he's Admin, keeping things ticking over nicely during the closed season?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Norrin Radd wrote:
I spend about 7000 Euros a year over 3 weeks , so compared with 1.2 I am looking at a personal cost of about 700 Euros , about 30 Euros a day whilst on holiday , could not care less. One evening in instead of going out covers that.

So that is 10% more ..quite an increase I would say
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stanton, well it's an increase, but not enough to bother me. Might bother you if things go up 10%, but holiday costs are what they are. If you read what I said , by staying in one night I can cancel out the increase. Also I am being slightly more switched on to booking flights early, getting 50% off ski hire, so the net result will be a decrease in my spending in the state of EU, which is bad for you.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And September GBP/EUR is sitting at 1.10
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

@skimastaaah,

Let's raise a toast to materialism, eh?

The guy has worked hard, paid his dues and enjoys the fine things in life which he has earned. Personally I don't find that materialistic; he's just enjoying life.
I say well done to him. So much better than some of the unemployed parasites one finds in ski resorts. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Norrin Radd wrote:
And September GBP/EUR is sitting at 1.10

Now just dipped below 1:10.....so currency markets not assured by the Fox/Hammond statement (atm).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Old Fartbag, Lots of reasons, mainly that the Eurozone economy is coming out of many years of the doldrums providing good figures. Of course, the current low level of the £ v the € is due to brexit uncertainty, against a long term average of about 1.25, the daily variations are the result of the economic forecasts of the day.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Even ignoring the Stanton trolling, the cost per GBP 1,000 of spending money since Brexit vote is between EUR 200-300 depending on the rate and commission cost. For some this doesn't sound like much but for many this is significant. Stanton is annoying but his point is valid. This impact may be felt more by single parent families, young people on their first personal funded holidays, large families etc. If you add in the cost of food and import inflation in the uk then disposable income is further reduced. Yes people may choose to go to ski in Bulgaria rather than France or not ski at all. Maybe for the older more financially secure person they don't really care by the added cost but no one should deny it's happening or it's impact is only nominal.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When stating a difference in figures (Pounds/Euros/Dollars) it is best to express it in Percentage this has much more significance.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pound Sterling is due to correct higher against the Euro in the near-term ahead of a decline towards 1.08 in the medium-term says the foreign exchange strategy team at one of Europe’s key financial services providers.

The findings suggests some welcome relief for those hoping for a stronger Pound over coming days and weeks.

However, the key message is that any relief should ultimately prove limited, so don’t sit around too long if you think Sterling is about to embark on a recovery from its nadir.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/eur/7317-pound-to-euro-exchange-rate-foley-rabobank
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stanton, I was highlighting the cost to wallet and purposely used hard FX instead of %. You can carry on using % though if you prefer.
snow report
Bennyboy1 wrote:
Even ignoring the Stanton trolling, the cost per GBP 1,000 of spending money since Brexit vote is between EUR 200-300 depending on the rate and commission cost. For some this doesn't sound like much but for many this is significant.

+1

"Oh it'll only cost me another €700, staying in one night will cover that"

Shocked Be a shame to miss a night out that good!
ski holidays
https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/eur/7324-pound-to-euro-rate-comeback-capital-economics
ski holidays
There are disadvantages to getting old but I guess one of the advantages is that you've seen a lot of sh.it before and have learnt to ride with the wave. I was sent on a training course for two weeks in the States when the pound was buying $1.50 plus and even better it was around thanksgiving and there were massive sales on. I had to take over a massive empty suitcase to fill with the bounty. There are a number of people on here who bought ski apartments when the Euro was at 1.40. On the flip side you have situations like this when you may have to downgrade your accommodation, go self catering, go to a different area/resort. Or simply make some cutbacks on other expenditure. The vast majority of us will pull out the stops to make our ski trips happen.
ski holidays
Austria.

Apart from currency.

Figures have been released of dramatic price increases in July for everyday goods

http://www.oe24.at/businesslive/oesterreich/Preis-Schock-Essen-immer-teurer/295385869
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
Bennyboy1 wrote:
Even ignoring the Stanton trolling, the cost per GBP 1,000 of spending money since Brexit vote is between EUR 200-300 depending on the rate and commission cost. For some this doesn't sound like much but for many this is significant.

+1

"Oh it'll only cost me another €700, staying in one night will cover that"

Shocked Be a shame to miss a night out that good!

One night per week for a family of 4.

I can't remember my last 700 Euro night.
ski holidays
I guess there are other threads for economic theorists and personal abuse, but there remain some interesting things which it should be possible to discuss without politics.

For example... Blue Tomato 2017-18 prices... for example the Mammut Carbon cartridge 300 BAR:
  • £109.38 plus shipping if accessed from a UK IP address
  • € 99.96 if accessed from a none-UK address, also plus shipping
The Visa (tourist) rate for that, assuming you use a none-charging credit card, would be £91.46, or a saving of 18.05/ 16%.

Broadly it looks like they're profiteering on credit card currency exchange, by charging 16% extra.
"would you like to pay through the nose for that in your own currency, sucker?!
There doesn't seem to be an option to be billed in Euros.
I had to use TOR to get a none UK IP address and the 16% discount. You can't just hack the URL (replace en-GB with something else), they're using the IP address.

Did I miss something? Maybe I should set up a small company running a little European proxy which gets people a 16% discount; I could maybe levy a 1% charge on the difference and....
---

https://www.visaeurope.com/making-payments/exchange-rates
latest report
@philwig, nice post.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
There are a number of people on here who bought ski apartments when the Euro was at 1.40.

We bought last year at 1.31. We wished we had bought at 1.40 but can't really complain. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
we bought at 1.36, completed renovated (£35K) at 1.32 & if it does reach 1:1 I would be sorely tempted to sell. For the first time ever I am hoping I don't make money Very Happy
snow report
@bar shaker, @Jonny996, you can go off people you know...

Very Happy Cool snowHead Laughing
latest report
@Layne, ahem. We bought in 2003, at 1.48, bemoaning the fact that we hadn't changed our currency a few money earlier like some, at 1.55...

Win some, lose some.
Mind you, with prices dropping anyway, I think the FX gain would just about cover our capex losses if we were to sell, so we shan't.

But we've be enjoying our time in France this summer on a stash purchased last year at 1.38. Makes alpine prices almost (almost...) bearable.
snow report
Global warming.

Alpine Properties are not necessarily good investments because of a dwindling season (Jan-March) you have to pay taxes all year some parts of Austria locals are selling their places, land (because they cannot see value in the future) and moving buying property in the City´s.
latest report
@stanton, I can't get 2 weeks in florida for what my place in the Alps costs me for the year, added to that we actually use it more in the summer than winter, so no matter how doom and gloom you are & you can be very, your argument has zero affect on me either way.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton wrote:
Global warming.

Alpine Properties are not necessarily good investments because of a dwindling season (Jan-March) you have to pay taxes all year some parts of Austria locals are selling their places, land (because they cannot see value in the future) and moving buying property in the City´s.

Is this another of your meaningless projections. The season starts in the Espace Killy in October in a limited area on snow on a glacier and then continues into May, when the resort closes due to lack of punters rather than lack of snow. It then opens up in late June and continues through to September with people enjoying the mountains in the summer. As its cooler up there global warming may even result in a rise in tourism in the mountains cos its too hot on the beach!

As Austria closes down its resorts those of us in true mountain hideouts will benefit hugely. Personally, I am looking forward to a very high quality carehome when I have to sell up due to infirmity.
snow conditions
@Jonny996 and @chocksaway, are spot on.

Our annual taxes and running costs are about the same as what 6 days in Ibiza cost me last month.

Whilst property prices may be falling in some lower, non diversified resorts, they are growing at a robust rate in snow sure, high resorts. With the work we did and the exchange rate movement, my estate agent friend would crystallise a huge profit in 1 year, if we want to sell. We don't. We bought our place as something a bit sexier to do with our lowest risk investments and we plan to keep for a minimum of 10 years and ideally 20 years, if our health allows. If it doesn't make any more, it's already achieved the 10 year return.

Same as @Jonny996, I hope the return never tempts us to sell.
snow conditions
@Jonny996, of course you can buy cheap thats why locals are selling & developers are building for foreign buyers

Its never been easier..

Point is Locals are getting out as they do not see a longterm future..
snow conditions
@chocksaway, apologies i thought refering to alpine skiing not pussyboy french areas probably better to invest in Finland for langlauf...LoL
snow conditions
@stanton, can you give me example areas where you think alpine property prices are falling
snow report
@Jonny996, arlberg
latest report
stanton wrote:
@Jonny996, arlberg

Surely you joke!!!!
have you checked out the price of a tiny place in Warth???
The Arlberg can only get more expensive, now that French resorts are way overpriced as regards property, infrastructure prices, and rapidly becoming passe (that's French for "passed it").
latest report
@stanton, apologies I have only ever studied The French alpine market. Could you share your knowledge on what French resorts are in free fall or is France not affected by your projections
snow conditions
The bible on resort price growth is the Knight Frank report. This is updated in Sept each year so it will be interesting to see what the 2017 report says.

https://kfcontent.blob.core.windows.net/research/353/documents/en/2016-4073.pdf
ski holidays
@bar shaker, interesting read, first report I have seen of this type that actually shows St Gervais figures. No surprises for me in it , I knew it would be the lowest price per SQM, shortest transfer & lowest lift pass price. Yes it only has a 17 week season but as stated before we use it all year.
looking forward to the 2017 version.
As for Stanton, the developers seem to disagree with you as there where 5 new developments in St G alone this summer.
snow conditions
@Jonny996, It's a long way from being the lowest £/m2 as the report is only looking at France and Switzerland and only a few prime, benchmarked resorts.

It's a useful guide to trends. The 2015 report is interesting too.
ski holidays
Guys, know of a few companies who've held prices for next year and resort food prices etc really cheap anyway ).

Stuart
Value Ski Breaks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy