Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

stones on top of chairlift stations

Poster: A snowHead
So with webcam season upon us I'm suddenly noticing how on the roofs of lots of mountain lift stations they are covered in small stones / gravel.

Any idea why?

They tend to be flat so its not to help with snow slip, they drain well and I don't think its a wind thing as the stones are too small.

they are not "free" roofs so its not an environmental thing either.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To help protect the flat roof. @dode will probably be able to explain exactly what it does to help.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Avalanche debris, obviously.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, glad you went first wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Camouflage....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hurdy, ah, yes, placed by the alpine choughs mini-drone squadron?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurdy wrote:
Camouflage....

I did wonder this, if it was maybe something to do with the view from above.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Free gig for the pisteurs?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Its a well know fact that Marmots eat small stones and gravel to help digest the tough Alpine foliage. Male marmots also tend to poop in higher areas in familial latrines or cairns for territorial reasons. The man-made higher areas of the tops of ski lift buildings and naturally very appealing to them (assuming they can find a way up!).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Prevent sunlight directly hitting station roof and thereby reduce fatigue caused by thermally induced expansion/contraction
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nickski wrote:
Prevent sunlight directly hitting station roof and thereby reduce fatigue caused by thermally induced expansion/contraction

I suspect this is closer to the truth than most answers, but I also think the gravel probably serves as a hedgehog deterrent.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On many types of commercial buildings roof membranes are "ballasted", meaning covered with river rock or pavers, for any or all of these purposes: holding the membrane in place; protecting it from mechanical wear and tear; and protecting it from UV degradation.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chuckies on roofs is last century technology. Not been used here for decades. Struggle to see them staying in place given the weather on the mountain tops.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The old rope tow engine hut at Yad Moss had large slabs of stone on its roof to hold it down in the gales Laughing See pic at the bottom of this page
https://yadmoss.co.uk/history/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter S wrote:
The old rope tow engine hut at Yad Moss had large slabs of stone on its roof to hold it down in the gales Laughing See pic at the bottom of this page

I've heard about Pennine skiing, not Yad Moss specifically though. What a great tale of dedication and love of skiing from a fantastic volunteer team to keep it running and improving.

It sounds like over the years the piste has been picked clean of stones that means its safe to ski with only a few cm of snow. Hope they are getting some decent snow in recent years.
latest report
It’s more a summer thing than a winter one. In the winter everything is frozen in place. Gales or not, makes no difference. So can’t really effect the temperature as much

In the summer, you can effect the temperature much more by having a (cheap/free in the mtns) covering.
snow report
Randyp909 wrote:
Peter S wrote:

I've heard about Pennine skiing, not Yad Moss specifically though. What a great tale of dedication and love of skiing from a fantastic volunteer team to keep it running and improving.

It sounds like over the years the piste has been picked clean of stones that means its safe to ski with only a few cm of snow. Hope they are getting some decent snow in recent years.

Everyone should give Yad Moss a try. When the conditions are right, it truly is a magical place and you keep reminding yourself “I’m skiing in England”. Also a fantastic organised place with some great people running it.
latest report
Should I have been keeping flat lightweight pebbles to put on my fibreglass flat roof, all these years, rather than skimming them on lakes, rivers and seas? Puzzled
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy