Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amade 2016-2017

Poster: A snowHead
thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fabulous day in Schladming. Snow just softened on the sunny side of the Planai but was fast and crisp in the shade. Stayed on the mountain to watch the Sun go down.
We raised a glass to Samerberg Sue who will always be part of Ski Amade.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
this video is from today, Bad Gastein on december 15.

http://youtube.com/v/74d2rNIsqDA
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@cad99uk, we were there too today! I used Sues poles so a bit of her was skiing with us Smile
I really cant remember the last time I had such a great ski on Planai, the pistes were just incredible. Bobbed over to Haus where pretty much the same conditions, bit of low cloud as you hit the valley run, but pistes pristine and empty. Probably my last ski now before the crowds arrive so I really did enjoy ripping it a bit today Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Kooky, It was such a great day to remember Sue. I like that her poles were on the mountain with us.

At midday everybody just evaporated and the pistes were totally empty.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
and finally from Stubnerkogel in Bad Gastein a video from today

http://youtube.com/v/hrYeQXcjZ98
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@cad99uk, How long are you here for?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Obertauern today.
Obertauern today.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can anyone recommend a decent hotel in Flachau for 4 fellas travelling out in January.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarpa, Returning to UK tomorrow unfortunately. M-i-l funeral next week. We have season passes and are due out in Feb/March but might get back before, work permitting.

Enjoy your season. Take care when you go off piste.... if there is any this year.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Chick, what do you mean by decent and whereabouts in Flachau?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Were looking for a 3 or 4 star hotel somewhere near the star jet or centre if possible.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@cad99uk, Always loads of off piste in March and April Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Chick, to be honest any if them would be OK, but depends on your budget. Some people here stayed at the Flachauerhof , which I thought looked a bit dated, and thought it was great. Salzburgerhof looks OK too, with spa , as has Tirolerhof and Waidmasnnsheil. Hard to go wrong I think.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks holidayloverxx will try some of them hotels.we tried the waidmasnnsheil but they have no vacancies . We are going for 5 night's so maybe there holding out for the 7 night Bookings. Pity as it is the perfect location.
snow report
@Chick, if it is race week...7th han...then it will be very busy. Less so after that
ski holidays
Holidayloverxx . We're heading out on the 21st for 5 night's.
ski holidays
@Chick, should find something then. Alteratively my friends have a central apartment they use when booking 5 nights
snow conditions
A nice dusting down in the valley to wake up to this morning.

snow report
Holidayloverxx.We got a good offer of a hotel beside the 8erjet gondala.
Is this a good location and how long of a walk to the centre .
ski holidays
@Chick, thats near me. Great location for getting up tbe mountain and apres, a few minutes walk back from the dampfkessel at the spacejet. About 10 to 15 mins walk to tbe centre....ive got short legs. You can cut across the fields which brings you out at the musistadl.

Go back to the main road and turn left...5 mins to best pizza in Flachau and rhe mpreis supermarket . Turn right instead and its 5 minutes to Paulerei, jagdhof, alter neuwirt and schnitzel eck. 5 more minutes to the centre.

Which hotel?
ski holidays
Holidayloverxx.Thanks sounds good.
snow report
Holidayloverxx. Vier Jahreszeiten.
We were trying to get somewhere near the Starjet but they all wanted 7 night bookings.
ski holidays
@Chick, that should be fine. I always think it looks nice and perfect for the achterjet
snow conditions
Today I met seany1 and together we enjoyed a great day in the Hochkönig area, skiing the Königstour from Maria Alm to Mühlbach and back again. The weather was again fabulous, pure blue skies and sun though chilly in the shade. Here's a view taken early in the day looking to the Hochkönig range from the top of the Aberg above Maria Alm...

A little later we enjoyed piste 31 down to Hinterthal, so much so that we did it again in the afternoon. In the morning the snow cannons were blasting more snow onto the piste. The photo shows Hinterthal in the valley...

The snow, still largely artificial, was in good condition, mostly hard-packed but grippy. There were a few icy spots, especially on piste 14 which we skied on our return journey, leading down to Dienten alongside the Bürglalm chairlift (half the piste there was also blocked off for a FIS Giant Slalom race which took place in the morning - unfortunately the timing meant that we didn't watch any of the young racers).

After lunch at the Zapferl Alm this photo was taken near the top of the Karbachalm gondola which had brought back up from Mühlbach. The question for those who know the area is: What is missing?

The answer is the bridge that used to carry the Hüttenlift T-bar over piste 1 as it goes off to the left has been removed. I don't think that I ever saw that T-bar running.

Not every piste was open but the Königstour was complete and possible. The slopes are still very quiet.

A good day.
latest report
It was a great day...and conditions remain pretty amazing today considering this persistent weather pattern.....so much available and super quite. Home saturday then schladming on 7th jan for a week followed by wagrain on 19th jan for 10 days then flachau on 5th feb for another 10 days...hopefully some powder at some time... but with the superb work they do in Amade I am sure it will still be great....so anyone coming soon it should be pretty decent despite the forecast of little new snow. The amount of snow they were blowing yesterday gave a nice fluffy covering, and even the blacks were pretty much ice free!
ski holidays
@seany1, if you fancy a ski with us lot drop us a line, we are almost always out and about.

Lots of the locals are telling me we should get a small amount of snow on 24/25th, nothing to get hyped about, but a white Christmas would be great after last year Shocked
snow report
Kooky thanks a lot ....would be cool to meet up on my wagrain and flachau trips as on my tod....really hope you guys get some fresh. I was out mid december last year so know what you mean. At least though simular high pressure situation to last year its been colder allowing snow blowing giving some top to bottom skiing that thus far has been great...all relative of course but when you look at the situation in some areas my love of austria reaps the rewards..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Heading out to Schladming for NY. Anyone recommend the places to be for New Years Eve?
snow report
Just waiting at Salzburg airport for the flight home after a great week in wagrain.

Conditions aren't perfect but they are pretty damn good.

Skied wagrain/flachau /Zauchensee and altenmarkt and pistes were in surprisingly good nick.

Anybody out there for Christmas should expect a good week.
snow report
@Kooky, @Scarpa, hope there's something in your diary with my name on it w/c 23rd Jan Very Happy
snow report
Sure we can manage something.
snow report
seany1 and I were back again in the Hochkönig area today, this time joined by johnbarr. It was another great day's skiing, again from Maria Alm to Mühlbach and back again. I am always impressed by the view from the Abergalm chairlift going up out of Maria Alm...

Ye Ice-falls! ... silent cataracts!

There was more cloud around in the morning but that cleared up by midday, so that it was again pure blue skies and sun in the afternoon (though many of the pistes were in the shade). The slopes were still very quiet, so much so that we were the only diners in the Scheppal Alm at Mühlbach where we had lunch - and we were even given Christmas Plätzchen...

On the culinary front I can report another new hut, a very classy modern looking one. This is the Deantnerin hut on the Bürglalm piste 14 in Dienten (there is a description in German with more photos here: http://www.onetz.de/amberg-in-der-oberpfalz/freizeit/neue-huette-im-skigebiet-hochkoenig-zur-brotzeit-bei-den-grammers-d1712722.html). Looked inviting but we didn't test it...

And I can't resist a final photo of the evening sun on the mountains as we arrived back at Maria Alm...

The snow was fine everywhere, with probably less icy patches noticed than on Tuesday's visit. Whether it will stand up to the masses next week is another question but there should be a little new snow over the weekend.
latest report
@espri, Looks a nice little ice fall to climb Very Happy
snow conditions
Not me. And I can't say I've ever seen anyone doing that.
latest report
Love that chair lift! I've got a feeling I went to that hut with Sue too. Must go back there at some point. But I also really want to go to the Gasteins for the first time, and to Dachstein West again.
snow report
I was thinking of Sue too while I was skiing there. I remember being at the Steinbockalm above Hinterthal with her and other snowHeads.
snow conditions
A few flurries down in the village and reports coming in of ankle deep fresh on the hills.
ski holidays
@espri, possibly thinking of heading out on Tuesday. Do you think it's worth the trip or not? I'm sure it's going to be more busy this coming week. In your opinion is the snow going to hold up or is there not enough?
ski holidays
@Ricklovesthepowder, not in Ski Amade, but in Hinterglemm at the moment. Snowed overnight down to the village, was boot high in places up the top. Was fine most of the day down low too, although the temps in the villages increased as the day went on. It's been raining most of the evening and at times has been heavy. It'll be interesting to see what it's like tomorrow.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy