Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amade 2016-2017

Poster: A snowHead
@flangesax, (Ange) Is the Billa in that Jet station open on a Sunday?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks all. We did consider taking stuff, but we've got quite a bit to take with us. We can do without carrying any more and ending up with crushed cereal, bread and the risk of a milk carton splitting.

The Jet garage should do the trick.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@@cad99uk, dunno. Google says yes. Or @@hammerite, there is also a Jet/Billa combo at Hallein on the way down the motorway - slip off and its 2 roundabouts - 30 secs. Ange
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just back from an awesome blue skies week in Amadé. Generally cold temperatures kept the snow conditions just about perfect. Back in five weeks!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@flangesax, awesome video, thanks for sharing - powder & more powder 2 weeks till we arrive in Bad Hofgastein - we are virgins to resort, any tips would be welcome.

Two families all competent skiers, kids more so than mums & dads, self catering but will eat out a few times, restaurants.. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@queen bodecia, 5 or 6?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@holidayloverxx, 4th March. I make that 5. Same week for you?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@flangesax, great, thanks Ange.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just looking at vignette requirements for Germany/Austria & winter tyres obligatory, conflicting info,can someone please clarify legal requirements as we are taking delivery of a new car 1/02/17 & our previous winter wheels/tyres will not fit...do I need to buy new winter tyres/whees?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@michaelbury17, search on here for that and you'll find more hits than on any thing else. Mostly argument either way, but the prevailing view is yes you do need proper winter tyres. Resurrect an old thread or start a new one Very Happy [/threaddriftoverkeepitontopic] Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia wrote:
@holidayloverxx, 4th March. I make that 5. Same week for you?

yes same week...i thought it 6... woo hoo!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@michaelbury17, Quite simply. Winter tyres are not a legal nor mandatory requirement unless you wish to drive in slushy, snowy or wintry conditions. Temperatures are not an issue.
The confusion is mainly down to insurance. There is a time frame in Austria for this requirement over the winter season (can't be bothered to try an recall the exact dates). My insurance will not cover me within this time frame if I do not always have winter tyres.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@HutToHut, @flangesax, thanks, good advice will start a new thread Very Happy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@holidayloverxx, @queen bodecia, can I get a woohoo too!

Just had an absolutely peach of a day with Kiteman69 and Scarpa in Dachstein West. Pistes were grippy, snow starting to get a little scraped towards the end of the day. Hardly any queues on the lifts although there were an awful lot of people about.

@flangesax, Ange, we duly showed our new charge The Toilet of Doom, he did however decline sampling its delights Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Kooky, woohoo!
ski holidays
lol, I'd forgotten about The Toilet of Doom - shame on him for not discovering it for himself! Ange
ski holidays
Big fan here of dachstein west, went last March as a change from the amade resorts and had some fabulous conditions.
Will certainly return in future.
snow report
Hi, coming to Maria Alm for first time on Saturday. What conditions can I expect?? SOOOOOOOOO excited
ski holidays
@Kooky, @holidayloverxx, @flangesax, and it's a woohoo from me... wink
snow report
@queen bodecia, we shall liase!
snow report
Had a terrific day in Hochkönig today. Bitterly cold first thing as sun burnt through the mist, but quickly warming up to a blue bird day. Really is a beautiful area around Maria Alm, the views of Hochkönig are stunning. Pistes were in great condition and area was in general uncrowded. Off piste was mostly chalky crud. Some powder in north facing shaded areas - but not much! Terrific mountain huts!
snow report
Skied Flachau to Grafenberg, bus to Kleinarl, then skied Kleinarl - Flachauwinkl. Piste conditions lovely today - either the slightly warmer temperatures have softened the pistes nicely, or having skis sharpened has done the trick! (probably a bit of both). Sunshine all day, but clouding over a bit this evening. Kleinarl / Flauchauwinkl pretty deserted as well.
snow conditions
Braved the crowds on the Galsterberg today (well occasionally we could see another skier!). Light snow in the morning, heavy in the afternoon. Temperatures only round about freezing so the snow was not exactly fluffy. Zero degrees all the way back to Flachau with heavyish snow - and still snowing now. Dire forecasts of rain at valley level were (so far) all wrong again, though today was the first day the washers on the car defrosted since we arrived in Austria over three weeks ago.
ski holidays
@RobinS, where is galsterberg?
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, its beyond Haus - never been. One for the to-do list. Ange
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, @flangesax, A rather odd stopping double fixed grip gondola up from the base station, low capacity so the place can't get crowded. Nice pistes and a couple or three restaurants. Very peaceful with no queues and good snow.
snow report
Coming to Schladming on Sunday with a dodgy knee. Will ski on the first day, but what can I do if I can't ski? Any ideas please? xx
ski holidays
@Sue Cymraeg, If the weather is good then a trip up to the Dachstein glacier is good. Bus from Planai main lift to Dachstein and then gondola up. Restaurant, ice cave at top and great views if clear. Also some walking if you are able. Free if you have a lift pass otherwise you would need to buy a pedestrian pass.

Take Planai West gondola to mid station and can then walk back down through valley and gorge.

Bus to Hochwurzen then gondola to top. Good views and restaurant.

Bus to Pichl then gondola and chair (allows pedestrians) to top of Hochwurzen.

Bus to reiteralm, up to mid station on the silver jet. Views plus nice pizza restaurant.

Nice sunny walks on panoramaweg on opposite side of valley.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks very much for the great advice @cad99uk. I'm hoping my knee will be ok, but need to be prepared!I don't suppose you know whether I need snow boots for walking in the area, or will good walking boots do?
snow conditions
@Sue Cymraeg, We only use good walking boots on our 'days off', fitted with ice and snow grips (Mountain Warehouse) if icy.
Here's hoping you will be able to ski more than one day. All the best.
latest report
Thank you @cad99uk. I'm also thinking about trying cross country skiing if downhill skiing is too much twisting for my knee! Whatever happens, I'm aiming to have a great time!! 😊
latest report
@Sue Cymraeg, You may find CC skiing as much (if not more) of a strain on the knee. And descents will require a half-snowplough and a lot of knee adjustment for balance! And skiing skate style is push, push, and push!

....so... you are called Sue.... I assume you support the Welsh rugby team... and you have a busted knee....

...ARRRGHHHH SHE'S BACK!!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
A good friend of many Ski Amadé snowHead 's was a 'young' lady called SamerbergSue who sadly passed away last summer... and fit the criteria listed above... sorry that you are at the butt of a dead funny joke!! Skullie Skullie
latest report
@Sue Cymraeg, The plateau on Hochwurzen would give you a very gentle ski on day 1.
snow report
Not that I should be thinking about heading home before we've even arrived, but this help decide whether we go for 6 or 7 day passes...

Our flight home should be late enough to allow us to ski all day on the Saturday. However, I'm a little nervous that leaving Schladders at 4pm-ish will just lead to us sitting in traffic for hours with all the day trippers and drivers heading in the same direction. We'd be stuffed if we missed the flight.

The other option is to drive to Salzburg when we're kicked out of the apartment and spend the day there.

What are people's thoughts and experiences of travelling to Salzburg on Saturday evening?
snow conditions
@hammerite, I would think the biggest hold up will be at the border and you leave the autobahn before that. Sue would have been a good person to answer this as she frequently drove home from Austria on a Saturday evening. I did the journey last Saturday mid morning, there was a 20 minute wait at the border apparently (which I believe is underestimated on the autobahn signs) and I could see queues ahead on the A10 as I merged onto the A1. The airport itself was far less busy after midday.
ski holidays
@queen bodecia, thanks, yes Sue certainly would have been able to help answer this one.

One other choice would be to ski but finish a little earlier and maybe getting a headstart.
snow conditions
Well what a difference a day makes (and a change of venue). Saturday we skied the Maria Alm end of Hochkonig. To start with the black 15 was horrendously smooth and icy, then the blue down to Abergstubn was a mix of chopped up ice, with lumps, and slush. Went back to the top, and blue 10 was wind scoured ice, and to finish off red 19 down to Hintermoos was slush moguls with large areas of shiny water ice in between, and the light was so flat you couldn't see the bumps! All in all some of the worst conditions I have seen for a while.
Sunday, we went to a small ski area near Radstadt - overnight snow had freshened the pistes, and on the top threequarters of the hill conditions were as near to perfect as you are likely to find. It was busier than on a previous visit, but still quiet enough to be peaceful, and provided the perfect antidote to Saturday.
snow conditions
Agreed. Maria alm a little warm and slushy yesterday. Went all the way to hintermoos today. Fantastic, but colder and extra couple of cm of snow changed it.
Why is it not snowing now? Meteox shows rainfall above but nothing falling. GFS has precip falling from 3am tonight. And light snow tomorrow.
latest report
@hammerite, when I drove from Fieberbrunn to Munich (city, not airport) yesterday morning it took 3 hrs instead of the usual one and three quarters, with a twenty minute queue at the border. I guess you have to expect slow traffic if you travel at the same time as returning local skiers. Our delays weren't only or even mainly at the border.
latest report
@espri, thanks.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy