Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Via Lattea 2016/2017 - Sauze, Sestriere...

Poster: A snowHead
@Glenfish, hope you had a great time. What was the access from Claviere to Montegenevre like? I'm going in March 😀 Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
anybody got a current report? heading out in 11 days Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

http://youtube.com/v/b7C6m1FEY7o
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Friends are in Sauze at the moment and say conditions are good with links open to Sestriere snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll go along with Rob's report, above. That being said, I was disappointed that the two drags on the Moncrons side were closed all last week. Opening them just at the weekend is just not good enough, considering that the 'new' chair to replace them, starting near the Clot Bourget Cafe, will not be opening this season.
I know the 'real reason!' Shall we say, the problem is just as much 'political' as technical.
Furthermore, the 'new last season' Triplex chair from Cappana Mollina past Col Basset and on to The to The top of Chamonier, only opens 'when it is busy.' Last week was very busy, especially when French etc arrived. The Triplex chair, 'if open,' not only avoids the necessity to ski down to Sportinia when travelling further afield but also opens up a large bowl around Col Basset. I skied there many years ago, using a single seat chair. It was the area where the original Sestriere link gondola arrived, not Fraiteve with its postage-sized space.
So off you go to Montgenevre. More disappointments! Still the old two-seater over the road from San Sicario to Claviere with bad queues at the very time that it is most useful for a full skiing day out.
Then the 'big one!' This season, with Colletto Verde link closed for the season, it is not realistic to do a complete anti-clockwise circuit of Montegenevre taking in Chalvet (Tetras etc) then on to the area over by the top of the Rocher d'Aigle chair, ending at Gimont chair (which is only open at weekends!) I remember when they built the Saurel chair in that area. That's shut all season.
Call it 'Vialattea'..... hmmm!
ps the snow last week was excellent, even before the sun came out on Wednesday.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Human Snowflake wrote:
I'll go along with Rob's report, above. That being said, I was disappointed that the two drags on the Moncrons side were closed all last week. Opening them just at the weekend is just not good enough, considering that the 'new' chair to replace them, starting near the Clot Bourget Cafe, will not be opening this season.
I know the 'real reason!' Shall we say, the problem is just as much 'political' as technical.
Furthermore, the 'new last season' Triplex chair from Cappana Mollina past Col Basset and on to The to The top of Chamonier, only opens 'when it is busy.' Last week was very busy, especially when French etc arrived. The Triplex chair, 'if open,' not only avoids the necessity to ski down to Sportinia when travelling further afield but also opens up a large bowl around Col Basset. I skied there many years ago, using a single seat chair. It was the area where the original Sestriere link gondola arrived, not Fraiteve with its postage-sized space.
So off you go to Montgenevre. More disappointments! Still the old two-seater over the road from San Sicario to Claviere with bad queues at the very time that it is most useful for a full skiing day out.
Then the 'big one!' This season, with Colletto Verde link closed for the season, it is not realistic to do a complete anti-clockwise circuit of Montegenevre taking in Chalvet (Tetras etc) then on to the area over by the top of the Rocher d'Aigle chair, ending at Gimont chair (which is only open at weekends!) I remember when they built the Saurel chair in that area. That's shut all season.
Call it 'Vialattea'..... hmmm!
ps the snow last week was excellent, even before the sun came out on Wednesday.

Thanks for the update... the red link over to Claviere from Monty that is shut bothers me but I guess nothing can be done... there is supposed to be a green run over but how was this and is it a "mega polling session" to get over? Sad

I'm glad the snow seems to be holding up given the crazy warm temperatures his week Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From 'Monty' to Claviere, this season is a very poor and limited substitute for what has been possible in past seasons.
Basically, you are asked to take the 'Golf' piste which is a flat road eventually reaching La Coche chair en route for Colle Bercia.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@The Human Snowflake, thanks for the update... I'll be prepared for the joys of doing that Montegenevre/ Claviere transit on a board. Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just back from Montgenevre. Blue skies and sunshine all week, and it's holding up well despite the lack of fresh snow and the warmer temperatures. Was colder at the end of the week and the pistes were lovely each morning as a result.

Having never been at Feb half-term, was prepared for crowds but it was surprisingly quiet most of the time, with the worst queue being the Chalmettes lift first thing. Pleasantly surprised.

We didn't go to Claviere as had limited time during ski-school, but was told that the link at the moment isn't too bad as it's more hard-packed than usual.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi, re Coletto Verde - this was closed last year as well, very frustrating. User "volfy" then said the following in another thread in 2016, I quote: "Col Saurel and Coletto verde closed by judicial order. Works were done to the slope in 2014. In January 2015 there was a death on the hill. During the inquest they found that the works down to the slope did not correspond to the plans submitted to the council. In addition they found asbestos on the slope (a naturally occurring mineral). The investigating judge closed the slope. It is hoped that after remedial works next summer the mountain will re-open."

Well, that did not happen obviously. If having a rental car, which could be recommended hereabouts, it is a short ride both up the hill from Cesana to Montgenevre bypassing Claviere slow links for a full day on the slopes - and alternatively further on to Briancon for large Serre Chevalier (in good weather). A very nice side trip if the roads are clear (going over, and down!, the Montgenevre pass).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi, sorry a bit off topic, does anyone know when the Via Lattea closes for the season? Looking to visit Sauze from Mon 3rd April for a week, but from what I can see online the area closes on the 9th April?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I understand it's extended to mid April this year. There's a website http://sauzedoulx.net/ and SauzeOnline is handy too
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Seanyb74 Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quick weather/snow update. arrived friday night, raining in Oulx.... which was promising. Saturday dawned cloudy and snowy... with only the Jovenceaux & Clotes lift open. but 20cm plus of fresh. we lapped the run all day, with variations amongst- the trees. no ideas what else was open, but f-all from Sauze. Still, mountain was quiet, and snow was deep. Sunday was a bluebird day, but SO had to sort her Tea Club admin and there was a 20 min queue at Clotes. We managed a few nice runs in the powder whilst we did a fast orientation. Felt like a temp gradient of 40c between Clotes and the top... and as we debated a late lunch the klaxons sounded, intimating imminent link closure. it had clouded over since the morning, and there appeared to be distant precipitation. we repaired to our new favourite restaurant at Sportinia for a late snack, and by the time we left at 3pm today it was puking. looks like it'll be an early start on Monday. and no weekend tourists!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SkiPenguin wrote:
Just back from Montgenevre. Blue skies and sunshine all week, and it's holding up well despite the lack of fresh snow and the warmer temperatures. Was colder at the end of the week and the pistes were lovely each morning as a result.

Having never been at Feb half-term, was prepared for crowds but it was surprisingly quiet most of the time, with the worst queue being the Chalmettes lift first thing. Pleasantly surprised.

We didn't go to Claviere as had limited time during ski-school, but was told that the link at the moment isn't too bad as it's more hard-packed than usual.

We did Claviere/Montgenevre for half term too Ski Pengiun. Weather and lack of crowds was amazing. Italian ski school was 2h50min so loads of time to ski on Montgenevre in the mornings and then we took the kids back in the afternoon.
ski holidays
Out to Sauze for a late escape next week.

Anyone on the ground at the moment who can give a quick update?

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
About 80% of the resort is open today. Warm and sunny for the next week or so.

Sestriere and Montgenevre, on the circuit, in fairly good shape. This is Montgenevre:

snow conditions
Snowing down into village this morning. Woke up to a white village!
snow conditions
Gilly28 wrote:
Snowing down into village in Sauze this morning. Woke up to a white village!
ski holidays
Full day skiing from Sauze today, blue skies warm and pretty good snow

Clotes lift closed so all access from Sportinia, links to Sestriere and Sansicario open once top lift dug out! All 3 resorts in good nick.

Good all round obviously best higher and definitely softening during the day.

Sat outside in shorts and t shirt for 5 o'clock beers.

Great late season conditions
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy