Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Via Lattea 2016/2017 - Sauze, Sestriere...

Poster: A snowHead
@letsgetpiste,

Hopefully! We aim to do as much of the ski area as possible! Hoping there will be lots of fresh snow for us!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A little update from Sauzeonline

http://youtube.com/v/XOea5QJbSi4
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@letsgetpiste, love these updates, keep em coming.

Any detail around off piste conditions? Guessing there's not much left to be had until another dump comes? [fingers crossed that system develops out the end of next week!]
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Feeling cautiously optimistic about a positive change in the weather next week. Small amount of snow is forecast on Tuesday the 10th with a number of the weather forecasting systems starting to agree on a potential weather front (SNOW) at the end of the week...

Do your snow dances people!
One serious dump could be a massive game changer for the season and open up everything down to resort level!!
snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

A number of weather forecasting systems starting to unite in their forecast for snow during this week. Most notably tomorrow. Anything falling at this stage is a welcome addition to the man made stuff and will massively help the lower resorts.
There are some larger forecasts over the weekend that I'll be watching as we get closer to them.
snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Video from James @ Sauzeonline - "Live" on facebook yesterday!

https://www.facebook.com/sauzeonline/videos/10158007045795114/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Testing for the new chairlift on Mt Genevris is scheduled this week from the 11-13 Jan - fingers crossed it all goes to plan and gets opened up for the peak season!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Forecasts you posted above looking good though Bergfex has downgraded the storm at the end of the week a bit... let's hope that's just off the back of a one off blip in the model runs...

Btw if our snow dances pay off - any recommended guides that you guys have used before? If conditions permit, would be interested in a day or two either in Sauze or crossing over to Sestriere too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just had our first day in Sestriere - superb snow, warm and sunny and blue skies all day. Very quiet and no queues on lifts. Some lifts not open but this did not hamper our plans in any way.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As above for first day in Sauze. Great snow, well groomed empty pistes and blue skies. Ideal.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowing down to resort level - nothing crazy, but it's snowing!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Currently in Sestriere. Pistes in excellent order. About 1 cm snow this afternoon.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good snow conditions in Montgenevre and Claviere at present, following cold nights and generous snow-making on lower slopes. Started snowing at lunchtime today (Tue) and laying well on upper slopes BUT ....
The crossing at the top from Monti to Claviere is closed, apparently for the whole season. There's been 'administrative problems', presumably between Claviere & Monti lift companies or municipalities. The pistes from the Aigle crossing into Italy are all closed, The Saurel lift in Claviere, and the pistes it serves, seem to be decommisioned for the season, if not permanently closed. They've taken all the runs in that area off this year's ski map. We also found the Gimont lift closed.
The only way into Claviere from Monti this year is the long flat green run along the bottom of the valley, with a fair bit of poling. We've never seen Clav so empty.
When you buy your ski pass be careful to get 'Monts de la Lune' if you want to visit Claviere. Although this year's 'Grand Monti' pass covers Claviere it does not include the Terra Granet lift, making it impossible to use most of the Claviere pistes.
All of this is a great shame, and it will hurt both resorts if they don't sort it out by next season. Still, the Monsoleil at mid-station in Claviere remains one of the best lunch stops in the Alps (imo), and the remaining open slopes in Clav are as reliable as ever, so it's still worth the Schlepp along the green to get over to Claviere each day
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last nights GFS run suggesting rather more than the 6cm currently forecast for tomorrow/Friday on bergfex etc... snowHead

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
amarcord wrote:
Good snow conditions in Montgenevre and Claviere at present, following cold nights and generous snow-making on lower slopes. Started snowing at lunchtime today (Tue) and laying well on upper slopes BUT ....
The crossing at the top from Monti to Claviere is closed, apparently for the whole season. There's been 'administrative problems', presumably between Claviere & Monti lift companies or municipalities. The pistes from the Aigle crossing into Italy are all closed, The Saurel lift in Claviere, and the pistes it serves, seem to be decommisioned for the season, if not permanently closed. They've taken all the runs in that area off this year's ski map. We also found the Gimont lift closed.
The only way into Claviere from Monti this year is the long flat green run along the bottom of the valley, with a fair bit of poling. We've never seen Clav so empty.
When you buy your ski pass be careful to get 'Monts de la Lune' if you want to visit Claviere. Although this year's 'Grand Monti' pass covers Claviere it does not include the Terra Granet lift, making it impossible to use most of the Claviere pistes.
All of this is a great shame, and it will hurt both resorts if they don't sort it out by next season. Still, the Monsoleil at mid-station in Claviere remains one of the best lunch stops in the Alps (imo), and the remaining open slopes in Clav are as reliable as ever, so it's still worth the Schlepp along the green to get over to Claviere each day

Thanks for this info... we arrive in Montgenerve in about 6 weeks time and I'm gutted to read all of this. Was really looking forward to skiing over the Claviere from Monti as well (without using the Green run) Sad
snow report
@FireballXL5, Is having trouble posting here from the area, so I'll post an update she sent me earlier.

Had a great day in Sansicario today - pistes are amazing, clear blue skies and sunshine.
latest report
A further update from our intrepid reporter in Sestriere:-

Quote:
The gondola to Sancicario and Sauze shut today due to high winds but good conditions still in Sestriere. For the off pisters among you although it's not fresh powder there seems to be plenty of off piste areas with only a few tracks. Only wish I wasn't too faint hearted to give it a go. A few clouds but no signs of snow.
latest report
@geepee, thanks for passing on the updates from @FireballXL5!!
Really looking forward to seeing what this next weather system drops.
Then its just a couple of weeks till I get there!!
ski holidays
This afternoon noticeably warmer ie only three layers under ski jacket instead of the usual five and still boiling. Reservoirs in village no longer frozen and puddles under foot in streets not ice. Pistes up high a little wind swept and icy but still generally very good condition.

9.10 pm now snowing
snow conditions
continue to read this one - out in Feb...
snow report
23 days to go and checking every day! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Still snowing this morning and very windy
latest report
I'm liking the 30 cm in the next few days! That'll do nicely to top up the pistes! Heading out in 16 days!
ski holidays
@FireballXL5, likely that the links will be closed, but with all the fresh snow, staying in resort wont be too bad!!
latest report
Snowed all morning probably 10 cm in all fresh snow - great fun on pistes. Sun now breaking through so should be great this afternoon.
ski holidays
@FireballXL5, Very jealous. Can't wait to get out there.
snow conditions
9 days and counting !
snow report
Pistes were great this afternoon loads of untracked soft snow but only 3 chairs anda button lift open. Snowed for a few hours this evening, bitterly cold and windy. You are in for a treat next week. Last day for us tomorrow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@FireballXL5, It looks like a better day tomorrow. Enjoy your last day. snowHead
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/sLUt-DAz1LU
ski holidays
I know this is the weather thread but it seems to be the only sauze related discussion. Can anyone advise on a good (cheapish) transfer option from Turin to sauze. Public transport seems a bit time consuming and hassle with the ski gear so not really an option for 6 of us. Return transfers coming in about 420 euros return. Does that seem reasonable or can anyone suggest an alternative?
snow report
@the saint, €300 for a private transfer. I've got one booked in a couple of weeks. Contact James through the sauzeonline page.
https://www.sauzeonline.com/airport-transfers/

edit: I've just had a look and for 6 people it's saying €360 (still better than €420 and only €30 each/each way)
ski holidays
Great last day, pistes in Sancicario andSestriere in excellent condition and loads of fresh untracked snow for the off piste folk. We are homeward bound stupidly early tomorrow. Enjoy the great conditions one and all. Ps spoke to someone today who had been to Montengre yesterday and apparently even more snow there.
snow report
@FireballXL5, Thanks for all the updates during your trip and to @geepee, for passing on your messages when the interwebs let you down! snowHead snowHead snowHead

I've got a friend pacing the halls waiting for her flight out tomorrow and I've got fourteen days till I make my first trip of the season. Can't wait!!
ski holidays
Hello all
I have just checked the weather report on few websites including the official sestriere online weather report and everywhere it is mentioned that the last snow was on 21 December.
I will be going to sestriere on 22/01/2017 for a week. Wanted to know how long it takes to go and come back to sauze using piste and similarly for montgenevre.
Thanks
latest report
Those are two different questions:
From Sestriere to Sauze, you take the bubble up, and then you are pretty much in Sauze. Unless you want to ski down to the village, then you have a ski down, one lift up. Getting back from the Sauze, three lifts back to the top of the bubble, and bubble back down, or ski to bubble mid station. We do it each way in about 30-40 minutes depending on lift lines. That said, we really enjoy skiing Sansicario - it's beautiful - -

Montgenvre, I haven't done, but that is longer, a better part of the day... to go out and back from Sestriere.
snow report
Thanks a lot Heidi.
Hope there is sufficient snow down to the resort level.
Thanks
ski holidays
csb wrote:
Hello all
I have just checked the weather report on few websites including the official sestriere online weather report and everywhere it is mentioned that the last snow was on 21 December.
I will be going to sestriere on 22/01/2017 for a week. Wanted to know how long it takes to go and come back to sauze using piste and similarly for montgenevre.
Thanks

Well be in Sauze that week... actually staying mid station in Sportina - and snow report is incorrect...
latest report
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
csb wrote:
Hello all
Thanks

Well be in Sauze that week... actually staying mid station in Sportina - and snow report is incorrect...

That's great news that the snow report is incorrect.
Hope to see you on the slopes then. I will be there for whole week.
ski holidays
It is for sure not true. They got some yesterday, and they are in for a retour d'est this week. Follow James on Sauze Online - facebook. He has a weekly video report. We can keep in touch, and let me know when you come over to Sauze - we can have lunch at Orso Bianco - yummiest food.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy