Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro Recommendation

Poster: A snowHead
kitenski wrote:
@bar shaker, dcrainmaker
Quote:
For Euro pricing, Garmin has confirmed 429EUR for the VIRB Ultra 30 as the new price.

Amazon reduced the price over the weekend so I rang them (they actually call you). Rather than refund the discount, I had to send my one back and buy another one. As it was under 2 weeks old, the return/refund was no quibble. The replacement was £369. It was a minor bit of hassle but saved me £80... which I will put towards a gimble.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ansta1 wrote:
Dji response to karma from gopro.

(The DJI Mavic) Woah, I don't really want a drone (I have a pile of old RC helis and built my own drones in the early days), but having seen that, I'll have to have one.

I don't think much of their £1 == $1 US pricing though; UK retailers are going to lose out on those, it's easy enough to pick one up in the US.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@philwig, indeed, and if you do go for the US one it has a 4 mile range (i assume it's to do with different controls of signal strength) though how you could actually control one effectively at that distance god only knows.

Going to be interesting if gopro fast track their update to allow follow me (which is not quite the same as the dji follow me) though it won't come with the terrain tracking or obstacle avoidance that the mavic has.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
philwig wrote:
ansta1 wrote:

(The DJI Mavic) Woah, I don't really want a drone (I have a pile of old RC helis and built my own drones in the early days), but having seen that, I'll have to have one.

I don't think much of their £1 == $1 US pricing though; UK retailers are going to lose out on those, it's easy enough to pick one up in the US.

Yep definitely blown GoPro out of the water with that one!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I assume the radio is software controlled... these are designed to travel. I guess it's 2.4G spread spectrum stuff like standard RC controllers. Range: legal issues aside, the Neistat video shows it streaming low res images back to the phone in the controller, which I assume is how you're supposed to control it at huge distance (not that I would be wanting to do that).

"Follow me" always seems to deliver less than it promises. That wasn't really what attracts me to this - it's the size and usability. But I think GoPro will need more hardware to be able to do anything sensible in that area.

Water, blown, I think so.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Has anyone seen footage from the new 'Linear' mode in the Hero 5s? I want a stabiliser for follow shots and don't want the super wide, fish eyed GoPro thing. The super wide angle seems a bit pointless when you have a decent gimbal. The DJI Osmo looks perfect and the stabilisation is much better than any of the other gimbals I've seen on youtube comparisons, but I've heard it's not very splash proof. If the Karma is splash proof and stabilises as well as the Osmo, and you can get decent non distorted footage from the new Heros, I'd be sold...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
philwig wrote:
ansta1 wrote:

The currency parity is because US exporters have to ad 10% import duty and 20% VAT. £1=$1.31, hence the parity when the taxes are added.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ansta1 wrote:
@philwig, indeed, and if you do go for the US one it has a 4 mile range (i assume it's to do with different controls of signal strength) though how you could actually control one effectively at that distance god only knows.

Going to be interesting if gopro fast track their update to allow follow me (which is not quite the same as the dji follow me) though it won't come with the terrain tracking or obstacle avoidance that the mavic has.

So glad I bailed from my Lily order. The very earliest Lily will deliver is Q1 2017 and international deliveries wont start until late Q2.

Already over a year late, I can't see them surviving with these two on the market.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Super wide: for snowboard pole mount, you need it, or you can't fit all in with a reasonable length pole. If you use the camera another way, turn it off. Not quite sure what linear is - likely de-fished, which you can do in post. The optics and sensor are likely the same...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@philwig, linear is de-fished and max res on linear is 2.7k
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ansta1, yeh, I'd be very keen to see how Linear actually looks, and what focal length it's equivalent to. I agree that the superview is handy for pole cam, but it would be nice to have a mode thats narrower and straighter (less GoPro-y), whilst still maintaining good quality. Pretty much I'm wondering whether a Hero 5 in linear mode on the Karma Grip would let you reasonably emulate a DLSR on a tripod. Would open up a lot more possibilities and save a lot of faff.
The DJI Osmo does it perfectly, but wouldn't fancy destroying one in a snowstorm.
This sample video is what I'm after.

http://youtube.com/v/8K5L-FGycw0
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That steadicam video makes me feel sick. Seriously I can't watch it through. Perhaps you need to control the settings quite carefully to ensure the damping doesn't feel that. Or maybe I drank too much claret last night.
I really dislike that look though, it looks like they manipulated it considerably in post too - it doesn't look like that in the real world - I think that they slowed it down at least, perhaps to match the stabiliser. Each to their own.

I think the trick may be to get a balance between mechanical stabilization in-camera or on-mount (I think that's probably *always* a good thing?) and then what you do with it in post. You have much more control in post.

super view is a bit of a trick if you look at what it does. It achieves a 16:9 aspect ratio out of a round lens and a squarish sensor by electronically stretching the edges out to "fill in" the otherwise black bars you'd have at the side. Or alternatively to avoid cropping the top and bottom off it, which is worse if you're using a pole. Old people used to do the same thing in post (as with "linear"). I still don't think POV cameras are the best tool for other types of shooting though: they're designed to do one thing well.

The main feature of a DSLR would be the narrow field of view, which isn't going to happen with a small sensor however hard they try. On the plus side, that's also why you don't need a focus control.

The Osmo looks neat, and I like the idea of not having something tied to a specific camera manufacturer. I don't know what I'd shoot with it, though. If I'm shooting other people, then I'm stationary, and I want something which isn't a POV camera.

Supertramp... that's not at all what I'm humming when I'm in the trees wink

---
Whilst we're on GoPro stuff, here's a shameless plug for my mate Ken's kickstarter on a new set of interchangeable mounts. He already produces the Grill Mount, these are phase two...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prostandard/revolutionary-gopro-mounting-system-360-quick-conn
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
philwig wrote:

I think the trick may be to get a balance between mechanical stabilization in-camera or on-mount (I think that's probably *always* a good thing?) and then what you do with it in post. You have much more control in post.

99% of the time. For example I think Candide's latest videos are better for the fact you can really see how bumpy the run ins/outs are.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bar shaker wrote:
... The currency parity is because US exporters have to ad 10% import duty and 20% VAT. £1=$1.31, hence the parity when the taxes are added.

Looking at the Mavic @ B&H in NYC...
  • shipped into the US, you're paying the US $1k price (no sales tax when shipped, say, to Phoenix).
  • shipping to BC Canada with duty and taxes pre-paid adds about $80 USD.
  • ship to the UK, pre-paying tax & duty, and you're looking at an equivalent price to the UK price.
Brexit changed those economics considerably.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
are there any real life battery tests come out yet from the Hero5 Black, 5 session and perhaps the Garmin?

I'm thinking the 5 session wouldn't last a day on the mountain with cold temps, so I'd be either looking at a Black or the Garmin for the replaceable battery....
snow conditions
A day. 8 hours? That's a lot of footage to edit.
snow report
@philwig, I don't obviously video for 8 hours, but even having my 3+ on standby with a 2nd battery attached and perhaps videoing max of an hour the battery would run down.

My mates single battery would run out by lunchtime doing the similar type of recording.
ski holidays
@element, some linear pics here

http://abekislevitz.com/gopro-hero5-black/

and same article answers my battery question for the 5 Black

Battery Life
Battery life is always a big question – and I haven’t seen a lot of information floating around about the HERO5 battery. For starters, there’s a new battery (removable) in a new form factor compared with the old HERO4 batteries. The new one is 1220mAh, while the HERO4 was 1160mAh. The big kicker with the HERO5 is its new low power/lower heat processor. I did some quick and dirty battery tests, but here’s what I found:

2.7K-30 || all extras OFF || 1 hour 55 min recording time
2.7K-30 || GPS On, Voice Control On, Linear FOV, EIS On, WiFi/Bluetooth On, ProTune Audio On || 1 hour 43 min recording time
4K-30 || all extras OFF || 1 hour 40 min recording time

I first did the tests in 2.7K-30 so I could utilize all of those extra features (EIS, linear FOV, etc) to see if they had a significant effect on battery. I can’t tell you which ones impact the battery the most, but the good thing is with everything on we’re only seeing a 10% loss in overall battery life. If we were to compare the 4K-30 results to the HERO4, our average battery life was around 1 hour 15 min of recording time.

You’ll also notice the battery power is now measured in terms of % instead of the 3 bars in the HERO4. It’s much nicer to know exactly how much battery you have left at any given time.
snow conditions
the dcrainmaker review is up, inc some video with stabilisation on/off on side by side Hero5s

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/10/gopro-hero5-black-review.html

and his take on battery life

Here’s some quick tests that I’ve done with just straight recording times:

1080p 30FPS (Wide): 2:07:41 (no WiFi/GPS), 1:50:52 (WiFi/GPS enabled)

2.7K 30FPS (Wide): 1:45:05 (with WiFi Enabled)

4K 30FPS (Wide): 1:31:10 (with WiFi enabled)

All of these were simply taken at room temperature; obviously aspects like environmental temperature will impact things considerably, as will other modes and increased frame rates. But those give you some basic bounds to work within.
latest report
@kitenski, Thing I've learned with mine is to carry spare batteries, avoid the oversized big battery (too big/ heavy and easier to just slot new batteries in, I bought one and never use it). Only take footage when it gets gnarly rather than leaving running, ie take lots of small bursts. All that said I have to say I've pretty much lost interest in mine, cant be bothered watching footage back. Still keep taking it though now and again, will be useful when I'm old(er) and grey(er) to sit and watch it I guess.....for now not enough time for looking where I've been, more bothered about skiing it in the now.... Laughing
snow report
@kitenski, Thanks for the info!
snow report
interesting in the drone development areas, still too expensive for me, but smaller size and enclosed Blades make a lot more sense to me. Interesting to see if the shots on the video were actually taken by the Hover or not??

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/13/hover-camera-passport-launch/
ski holidays
Think I'm going to get either a Garmin Virb Ultra 30 or Gopro Hero 5 when the prices (hopefully!) drop around Christmas. Both seem to have similar specs - they've both been out for about a month, any opinions on which is better?
latest report
@Handy Turnip, not much to choose between them from the reviews I've seen (although no hands on use). The GoPro is slightly smaller if you need the camera to be waterproof and it has slightly better battery life in some recording modes. The Garmin makes more use of the GPS data for overlaying information on the recorded video (the GoPro just geotags the file, for the time being at least). Other things look fairly equal. Go for the cheapest option would be my advice, or on choice of accessory (it will be the GoPro for me, eventually, as I like their Karma gimbal)
ski holidays
Cheers @rob@rar, I think you're right, they're so close that it'll probably come down to price. However you do raise a good point though - I'm quite tempted by a gimbal at some stage in the future (I'm looking at the Feiyu WG as I should be able to fit it in my pocket) so need to make sure whichever I choose is compatible!
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, comparison table and more verbage than you could hope for both here (above and below the link given). He also has a full Ultra 30 review on the same site:

If anyone is a member of British Cycling then their monthly 10% off at Chain Reaction Cycles appears to work against the Hero5 pre-order...

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/10/gopro-hero5-black-review.html#hero5-black-vs-garmin-virb-ultra-30

I've gone for a Hero5 as quite like the fact I don't need a case. I can get all the GPS data from my Garmin watch and overlay that onto GoPro video so no issues about lack of data!
snow report
Quote:

ve gone for a Hero5 as quite like the fact I don't need a case. I can get all the GPS data from my Garmin watch and overlay that onto GoPro video so no issues about lack of data!

Gps collection in hero5 is more than garmin, it's just not enabled or integrated, but that is coming.
ski holidays
@ansta1, excellent news Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hello, I've read some of the above, there's a lot, and apologies if I missed the thread or link. I have a GoPro 4+black but whilst I have taken some good shots I have yet to find a good editing package that is relatively simple to use or at least intuative. What are your suggestions and how powerful will my computer/laptop need to be to run the suggestion.
snow conditions
i use iMovie on my MacBook air, works a treat, very easy also, just click and drag mostly
snow report
@mikeholmes25 Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I dont have a MacBook air, just a Windows laptop. Ive never used a mac before so the idea frightens me a bit, I hear the two platforms are quite different. Just looked on Google (John Lewis) its only 1k for the retina display, well I'll have two Shocked is it worth it?
snow report
Suzi snowflake wrote:
@mikeholmes25 Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I dont have a MacBook air, just a Windows laptop. Ive never used a mac before so the idea frightens me a bit, I hear the two platforms are quite different. Just looked on Google (John Lewis) its only 1k for the retina display, well I'll have two Shocked is it worth it?

Once you get a mac you'll never go back
snow report
The gopro editor is reasonably basic, but simple to use. The big problem with editing is down to sheer grunt of the machine. Most laptops can cope with 720/1080p but struggle on the step up to 2.7/4k.

Editing video at those higher resolutions requires major processing power and this usually shows up flaws in the interface to the user.

A good way around is doing what's called proxy editing, which is basically doing the editing on a lower resolution version which can then be applied to full res version 'offline'.

THe second part still takes time and processing but you can usually just let it run while you have several cups of tea/coffee/bottles of wine.
ski holidays
@ansta1, have you seen any "recommended" settings for the Hero5? I have a dim and distant memory of Abe doing something for previous generations? Is Electronic stabilisation worth just leaving on all the time? Any time it makes things worse??
latest report
Attach some bright lights to a drone for amazing effects:

http://youtube.com/v/Gl1xYyGom1g
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
... Most laptops can cope with 720/1080p but struggle on the step up to 2.7/4k.

It depends what you want to do. My (current model) windows laptop (about £600) will edit 4k from a GoPro reasonably. That said my home machine is what I'd be using for rendering.

You can download and use most editing packages for free. Download them and try them out on your own machine.

In practice the anything will run on any modern hardware (PC at least). The issue isn't the editing programs, it's the size of the files you're editing... so if you're actually going to edit 4K, you need multiple fast disks to get the data in and out, and a decent CPU to process it, plus a decent dual-graphics card to offload some operations to.

If you're asking for simple editing programs, or limited to a laptop, then I'd just shoot in a lower resolution, or transcode down after capture.

I'm a share holder in Apple, but you will pay more for less there, although you have fewer choices to make.
snow report
@kitenski,if you want to shoot in 4k you can't use in-camera stabilisation.

Settings will depend on what you are (after) but I tend to leave it in 4k protune mode.

@philwig, yes, sorry, it was a bit of generalisation and fast multi disk (i run dual ssd's) help but most folks probably runnning core-i5 with single spinning hdd. They also try to editlarge files rather than chop together lots of shorter stuff.
ski holidays
@ansta1, I'm thinking in-camera stabilisation is good though so would be better to run lower and leave that on??
snow conditions
I need to film some how-to videos at work (fitting car parts) and want them to look as professional as possible. We have a well lit area to use at the back of our shop and I was wondering if I could get away with using a Go-Pro Hero 5 for the job. Was also going to get a set of video lights, tripod, an external mic, probably a clip-on one and a handheld Gimbal.
Is there anything else I'd need and am I taking the wrong approach using a Go-Pro.

To be honest I want a Go-Pro for my skiing use, so was hoping I could get the company to treat me. Obviously if the Go-Pro is unsuitable, I'll have to look into something else.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@ansta1, I'm thinking in-camera stabilisation is good though so would be better to run lower and leave that on??

If you turn on in camera stabilisation it will tell you it's downscaling quality on the display. If you leave it on 4k and switch on/off stabilisation you will have a mix of formats which whilst not a big deal will require a little more effort in post.

Or you could just shunt the different formats together and as then render at 1080/1440 or whatever common level which would work.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy