Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro Recommendation

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

quite risky due to the tw@ttishness of the customer base

This. People seem to have enough trouble paying attention to whats going on around them let alone keeping tabs on the thick end of a grand or more of drone.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Wait for the new DJI Mavic...
Certainly not in a rush to buy, most probably will wait until I'm in the US next year. As it's a bit of an impulse purchase I'm price sensitive more than looking for a long feature list. The DJI drones all look very clever, but too expensive for what I'm looking for.

Having looked at GoPro's website I see you can buy the gimbal by itself and add the rest of the drone at a later date should you wish, so that might be an option for me.

I think the Phantoms are about the same price as the GoPro, when you factor in that they include a camera and you have to buy the new GoPro to work with their drone?

I get what you're saying though. Apparently the new DJI will be more in the consumer/price/size category as the Karma, but I guess we'll have to wait and see!

As an aside, I've been trying to decipher to technical German to work out what licenses/permissions you need to fly drones here, and it doesn't seem all that hard (at least under 5kg or so). If you want to just fly it you just need to fill in a permission form, if you want to do anything commercial (filming even just for yourself seems to fall into this for some reason) then depending on weight of drone and proximity to people you also have to do an online test and buy insurance, but it doesn't seem too arduous (~3-400).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@clarky999, FWIW the Karma will work with Hero4s as well apparently....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999 wrote:

As an aside, I've been trying to decipher to technical German to work out what licenses/permissions you need to fly drones here... it doesn't seem too arduous (~3-400).

I would be surprised if flying close to people (e.g. ski runs) or follow me were allowed. Follow me seems to be a biggie for many countries.

Out in the middle of nowhere ski touring or MTBing etc then you are probably not getting in anyone's way but then who wants to lug a drone around with them?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
so looking at the "Karma stabilizer" it seems you can attach it to any gopro mount, ie chest or on a rucksack.

Now assuming the promo video is over the top, it still seems to do a very good job of smoothing out the video. Is it using electronics to do this on top of the stabilisation in the camera itself??

Video is here, skiing clips around 1:10 into it

http://youtube.com/v/8vu7IDuDD64
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kitenski, not sure about the Karma specifically, but seems that most gimbals use electronic trickery rather than just gravity
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kitenski, the gimbal is a gyro stabilised mount, it's separate to the grip technically but can be combined but the grip provides additional controls and functions over the gimbal and camera.

The new system is designed around the gimbal and grip and works really well as an integrated solution but won't suit everyone due to it's bulk.

The hero 5 has a new voice activated remote but there will be limited backward compatibility with current remote.

Follow me for the 'karma' is a future software upgrade and will link to the app and a future 'follow me wearable remote.

Battery life is improved but is dependant on how you use it.

It's about 3 minutes from backpack to karma in flight via controller when you are happy with things, which takes about another 5 minutes learning.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ansta1 wrote:
Follow me for the 'karma' is a future software upgrade and will link to the app and a future 'follow me wearable remote.
Good to know Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

As an aside, I've been trying to decipher to technical German to work out what licenses/permissions you need to fly drones here... it doesn't seem too arduous (~3-400).

I would be surprised if flying close to people (e.g. ski runs) or follow me were allowed. Follow me seems to be a biggie for many countries.

Out in the middle of nowhere ski touring or MTBing etc then you are probably not getting in anyone's way but then who wants to lug a drone around with them?

Yep - if I've understood correctly, any - and every, individually - time you want to fly/film an event or a big crowd you have to apply for permission. But (again, if I've understood correctly) you can fly around people and in cities with smaller (up to 5kg I think?) with the proper license (there are categories for size of drone and flying scenario).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
@clarky999, when I first saw this "follow me" drone skiing in Feb I was pretty impressed (not with the standard of the skiing) but the quality of the shot and the fact it did seem to "follow" the skier....

http://youtube.com/v/4Skoun_wXno

A lot of what I don't like about them is evident there - the drone keeps jawing from side to side to keep the skier in the centre of shot.

This is one of the better follow cam videos I've seen (filmed with Hexo+), but even though the skiing is great I find a lot of the aerial shots pretty poor, with the drone twisting and turning around too much.

http://youtube.com/v/aI0v8_NOVXs

This was filmed with a normally controlled drone. The skiing is a whole other level, but I find the shots a lot smoother and more aesthetic:

http://youtube.com/v/53p2De7QDeU

Not saying I don't want one ( wink), just that I think there's still a lot to be improved.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@1969jma, I have a GoPro 'Session' which I believe is the entry level version. For me it's perfect, it's the smallest in their range, waterproof to 10m so no need for bulky cases, and the video is good quality (good enough for my needs anyway!). Currently £165. I bought a whole bunch of mounting accessories on eBay for £25.

I filmed this on mid quality setting:
https://splice.gopro.com/v?id=QJKPRWK68
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
... A lot of what I don't like about them is evident there - the drone keeps jawing from side to side to keep the skier in the centre of shot.
This is one of the better follow cam videos I've seen (filmed with Hexo+), but even though the skiing is great I find a lot of the aerial shots pretty poor, with the drone twisting and turning around too much.

...just that I think there's still a lot to be improved.

The first is something you could easily correct in post, assuming it's an artefact from the flying rather than intentional. If you're shooting 4k you can easily stabilize that out with Premiere Pro warp Stabilizer or similar. The second one, it may actually be intentionally their style to shoot that way, but keeping a drone's attitude consistent is not challenging. It's possible that rather like with pole-mounted GoPros it takes a while for people to settle on a convention for these shots.

I think the main points about these specific selections is precisely that they are from drones: they want that fact to be in your face. In a few years we'll get over the novelty of that and I'd expect the shooting style to be less "look at me, I'm a drone". For most people their skiing is likely the least aesthetic part of the shot though wink

Improvement: sure, I'm unconvinced today by any of the "follow me" technology (which these are not) at any price, but it's coming.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@clarky999, cheers, I see what you mean now, I guess as they get more advanced you need a "follow me without twisting" option Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Without being too negative I suspect that a lot of these drones will be gathering dust in Snowheads man caves along with avalanche airbags, those Marker touring bindings, Pinarello Dogme racing bikes etc etc. Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@davidof, yup I think so as well!
latest report
ansta1 wrote:
@kitenski, the gimbal is a gyro stabilised mount, it's separate to the grip technically but can be combined but the grip provides additional controls and functions over the gimbal and camera.

The new system is designed around the gimbal and grip and works really well as an integrated solution but won't suit everyone due to it's bulk.

Thanks, so could I mount the gimbal without the grip and get the gyro stabilisation?
snow report
Quote:

Thanks, so could I mount the gimbal without the grip and get the gyro stabilisation?

Nope, as the grip has the battery to power the gimbal. I am pretty sure there will be aftermarket integration to allow the gimbal to function as a (nearly) standalone device.
snow conditions
ansta1 wrote:
Quote:

Nope, as the grip has the battery to power the gimbal. I am pretty sure there will be aftermarket integration to allow the gimbal to function as a (nearly) standalone device.

Yes, this is the shame - with the grip it's a bit bulky, especially as I don't like to ski with a backpack. I ski with a small monopod with compacts into my pocket nicely, but obviously has the ability to extend. If I could fit the gimbal to this it would be perfect.
latest report
kitenski wrote:
@davidof, yup I think so as well!

Don't forget those Kitchen flatpacks too!
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
I found this review very persuasive for having a camera with Electronic Image Stabilisation.

the Yi looks really good. I have the original Yi and it is a fantastic camera and at 60 quid or whatever you don't worry so much about trashing it. However I had to stabilize using software which could take a couple of days for an hour of film.
snow conditions
Handy Turnip wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
Quote:

Yes, this is the shame - with the grip it's a bit bulky, especially as I don't like to ski with a backpack. I ski with a small monopod with compacts into my pocket nicely, but obviously has the ability to extend. If I could fit the gimbal to this it would be perfect.

Just make your own! Buddy built this a couple of years ago: https://auffiundowi.wordpress.com/2014/06/22/the-final-rig/

Worked pretty well:

Last Turns of the Season? from theADVENTURESofCLARKLEBERRYfinn
https://vimeo.com/95663922

Following Smiles all the Way Down! from Sqikunst
https://vimeo.com/90537288

http://youtube.com/v/mZQ0SUhnVbk
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
... However I had to stabilize using software which could take a couple of days for an hour of film.

Perhaps an indication that a larger machine would help wink

Gimbal: if you want a steadicam... there are plenty available, although I'm not sure they're really that useful for POV cameras. I suppose a GoPro branded simple mechanical stabilizer may broaden the market.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
davidof wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Yep - if I've understood correctly, any - and every, individually - time you want to fly/film an event or a big crowd you have to apply for permission. But (again, if I've understood correctly) you can fly around people and in cities with smaller (up to 5kg I think?) with the proper license (there are categories for size of drone and flying scenario).

I had a Lily on order from the initial crowd funding time. In the end I got fed up with waiting (they are due to non US customers some time next spring) and realised that a) the technology would be long out of date by the time I received it b) the legalities were horrendous and using it on piste would be very unlikely outside of Sochi c) the chances of it hitting a tree were too high d) alpine cloud cover would likely render it unusable, due to diminished GPS signal reception.

My Lily order cost me £340, but Brexit meant I got back around £100 more. That paid for my Garmin, in my man maths.

I'm watching the price of Ultras and will offer Amazon the chance of taking it back so I can buy another or refunding any reductions, if the UK price falls like it has in the US. I was playing with the weekend's bike ride footage last night. The metric are really good and definitely take it further than just being a bit of video. Editing is fine on my new work iMac but my aged home iMac struggles with anything over 720p. Forget 4K files on the home iMac. Does that mean I need a new Mac at home, I wonder...
snow report
@bar shaker, dcrainmaker
Quote:
For Euro pricing, Garmin has confirmed 429EUR for the VIRB Ultra 30 as the new price.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@bar shaker, dcrainmaker
Quote:
For Euro pricing, Garmin has confirmed 429EUR for the VIRB Ultra 30 as the new price.

Yep but still £449 on Amazon. Only Handtec have it cheaper but have no stock. They are always cheap but often advertise at a very low price until they have stock!
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@clarky999, when I first saw this "follow me" drone skiing in Feb I was pretty impressed (not with the standard of the skiing) but the quality of the shot and the fact it did seem to "follow" the skier....

http://youtube.com/v/4Skoun_wXno

Mix that in with some footage of the front of someone's skis done with a helmet cam and the top of his helmet with a selfie stick and you've got the perfect punter ski movie.

> but even though the skiing is great I find a lot of the aerial shots pretty poor,

but some are pretty good, maybe the take out is you'll get a lot more stuff to leave on the cutting room floor with an autonomous drone. So then it is a trade off between pilot controlled, and you probably need fpv to get really good shots, or a lot of duff stuff.

Still I assume they'll improve the software.
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
Quote:

forgot to add, there is already a gopro official adapter which lets you keep the 'grip' stored away with just a really nice inconvenient cable to connect to the gimbal, i am not aware of anything official to mount the gimbal directly as of yet, but I have no doubt there will be specific gimbal mounts that will align with the grip-gimbal extension system in the pipeline.

Hearing lots of people who are not happy with the Garmin for various reasons.

Price drop is a big moan.
Battery life not being liked (but that's not a surprise given the additional 'data' it can capture)
GPS and other data drop outs causing the camera to freeze.

Nothing unusual if you been a gopro veteranand most likely will be fixed in firmware update. I'd expect a few moans about some of the features in the first production wave of the new hero5, let alone the Karma.

Plus all those people moaing about "I can't edit my video as my PC keeps crashing". Yep 60m/bsec at 4k or 720p @240fps isn't going to cut the mustard on most folks home laptops, let alone desktops. No wonder Gopro are pushing their online editing platform.

Now what they really need to do is Clone Abe and get him and his duplicates to edit footage for us all.
latest report
ansta1 wrote:

Hearing lots of people who are not happy with the Garmin for various reasons.

Price drop is a big moan.
Battery life not being liked (but that's not a surprise given the additional 'data' it can capture)
GPS and other data drop outs causing the camera to freeze.

I've had none of these problems (even the price drop hasn't reached UK stockists yet) but where did you read these moans? I would welcome being pointed towards some forums of other Virb Ultra users.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Take a look at dcrainers review page, people posting comments in response to his review.
snow report
@bar shaker, the official Garmin forums are here https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?481-Action-Camera
ski holidays
and the Ultra folk seem to hang out here

https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?482-VIRB

I keep an eye on these forums for my Garmin bike and tri watch, be warned there are a fair few moaners around!!
latest report
@ansta1, looking to sell my Silver Hero3+, to fund a 5 prior to an Xmas trip to Oz! Do you reckon ebay is the best place?
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
Quote:

Just make your own! Buddy built this a couple of years ago: https://auffiundowi.wordpress.com/2014/06/22/the-final-rig/

Nice! Not sure if my DIY skills are up to it though!!

However I notice that Feiyu do a wearable gimbal which doesn't have the grip - and has a tripod mount so could be appended to my smaller monopod quite easily.

Does anyone know anything about Feiyu? Can you get away with just the 2 axis, or is the 3 axis worth the extra money?
snow report
The feiyu is pretty good, and i'd go for the 3 axis, a few niggles but their support is pretty good at fixing stuff when it goes wrong.
latest report
A couple of vids from Abe who's gopro here

Gimbal
http://youtube.com/v/WJbk3CPrOF8&feature=youtu.be

Voice control
http://youtube.com/v/E-OO0MQrOFE

Shame he doesn't show the gimbal mounted so folks can see the form factor.
ski holidays
Pre production review of karma/gimbal/grip.

http://youtube.com/v/Cf16mp6Nbh8
ski holidays
dcrainmaker drone deep dive

http://youtube.com/v/CuuQr_mCyaQ

and gimbal deep dive

http://youtube.com/v/EkLwdT9pixQ
snow report
Dji response to karma from gopro.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/27/13058722/dji-mavic-pro-drone-foldable-4k-gesture-control
snow report
Rainmaker should lay off the helium Happy
ski holidays
Casey Neistat is the man, but
ansta1 wrote:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/27/13058722/dji-mavic-pro-drone-foldable-4k-gesture-control

... that looks much more interesting as a toy. Hmm.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy