Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
Well, at risk of giving away one of the best kept secrets of the season so far. I can honestly say that I've just finished one of the best early season days on piste that I've ever had. The quality of the snow on Arpette is sublime and couple that with empty pistes and clear blue skies it takes some beating. But shhh don't tell everybody.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rdsweb, super news. The place should be ok this week, with few people.
But numbers will jump on Sunday - possibly not so much fun next week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Speaking to an instructor yesterday he reckoned next week was going to be quiet too. Anyway a lovely start to the week and a great relief.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I forgot to add that the temperature has finally dropped so no question of any more thaw and no reason for the blowers not to be on full blast.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another fine day's piste skiing with the runs holding up well. But really, really pissed off with massed ranks of "Les Etoiles du Sport" skiing too fast in groups of twenty or more and really frightening the two beginners with us. In previous years there were just a small number in "Les Etoiles du Sport" jackets. Now it seems that anybody can get one whether they can ski safely or not. Very angry.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rdsweb, isn't that what ski poles are for?
They don't like it up 'em, you know.

http://youtube.com/v/ejmFSN2qBG0
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rdsweb, Pop into the tourist office and make a complaint! Its down by the Post Office in Plagne Centre, there are also equally helpful offices in Bellecote and Belle Plagne.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I take your point 😄 Jonpim but refuse to stoop to their level. They should know better.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @boredsurfin. We're at Belle Plagne so I'll find out where it is and pop in.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Busy preparing our chalet in Les Coches today. No natural snow here but the Pisteurs were busy bashing the homemade stuff on the piste outside - looks like they are hoping to open the link this weekend.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Piste at Les Coches looking pristine, with brown grass either side. Looks like all prepared for opening Saturday.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Train just pulling in to Moutiers. Aime soon after. Bit chilly in the valley. Hope snowguns going full blast up top. I remember pisteurs did magnificent job last year. Looking forward to a beer in Les Mines with a crowd of Skibugs. snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi, Im travelling to La Plagne on 31st Dec for a week and looking at the resort website it is showing only about 25% of the runs are currently open, with there not being much snow around is it likely they will open more runs or is this pretty much it till the next big snowfall? Thanks
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bhs1922, Totally depends on the weather, if it stays cold they will make more artificial if it rains less could be open! If it snows all could be open!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@bhs1922, More is opening on Saturday - link to the Vanoise express, down to les Coches etc. They are currently working to open as much as lack of snow allows. Check again next week and that will be the plan until New Year unless there is some natural snowfall.
snow report
Well, conditions are certainly better than this time last year, mainly i presume to it staying cold - last year was very mild.
The weather is glorious and few people about. No queue anywhere and pistes mainly empty.
We skied all round the left half of the piste map: there's one piste down from Arpette, got up to Roche de Mio via Blanchette and Carella, Inversins open, Source closed, Glacier open.
Stones were everywhere last year: this year only came across stones on piste below the tunnel and coming down from Grand Rochette on Verdon side.
Condition of piste very good almost everywhere.
There's a new cafe/snack bar above Bellecote called Bonnet. Ok for a quick stop: crepes, paninis, burgers. Panini and Crepe ok, but coffee was watery and served in paper cup.
Today we'll check out the right side, and see what is happening with the Envers lift.
As long as it stays quiet it will be fine up to Christmas - not sure after that: according the our weather thread, any decent snow unlikely for some time.
latest report
Thanks for the responses, good to hear from people in La Plagne that it isnt all doom and gloom and the pistes are in decent condition!! Weather looking positive for Christmas week so will keep everything crossed!
ski holidays
So, La-Plagnites (not to be confused with Gorgonites): who's here?
It seems change-over day for the next couple of weeks is Friday - today - for many companies.
So, i'm presuming rdsweb might be going, but RobinS is here in Les Coches, Chaletgirl is seeing how much more gym equipment she can squeeze into her place in Plagne Centre, boredsurfin could be down in Montalbert (yet again forgot the hobnobs i'm afraid) . . . maybe more unknown snowheads around the place.
Yes! Time some of us met up, for a ski or a beer or a coffee or even an ovaltine.
We should be out tomorrow, hopefully a little earlier than today (it was midday before ventured forth).
Give us a buzz if you're up for it. snowHead
snow report
@Jonpim, and the burning question
Where's the new Picnic area??
?..... Toofy Grin

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 17-12-16 19:57; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Oooo!
How did you do that?
and we are searching for the fabled Picnic area - honest.
But no success so far.
ski holidays
@Jonpim, How did I do that? simples ...[ spoiler=question]Where's the new Picnic area??[/spoiler]
(I inserted space after first [ to make it display)
snow report
@Jonpim, Pretty busy at the moment with chalet set-up, and first guests arriving in about an hour! Picked up our (JanetS and I) season passes today, so might get out for a ski for a couple of hours tomorrow - but need to be back early as the boss is coming over to check up on us (in a friendly, helpful way). Got some last minute bookings so a fair few guests through until Christmas.
snow conditions
@jonpim Yes we hit the road tomorrow morning 9am. This is the fourth year running we've been for opening week and despite the difficulties of the lack of snowfall, it has been my favourite. Perfect weather, empty pistes and personal service in all the restaurants especially Monica's at Plagne Soleil and Matafan in Belle Plagne have all contributed.

Hope it keeps up for all those just arriving.

We'll do it all again week commencing 3rd March so we'll see how it compares.
snow conditions
chopkins13 wrote:
Haha @SteveM, !!
When are you going this season?

Currently looks like I won't be in Paradiski this season Sad
Got a fortnight in Dolomites to look forward to though - roll on Feb Very Happy Very Happy

And you never know, I might sneak a cheeky week in Jan somewhere! wink
snow conditions
SteveM, you're obviously VERY busy with those webcams - chopkins13 posted that a week ago!
ski holidays
We're in La Plagne Aime for a week from 29th....staying at Club med... I've heard that the snow is good above 2000m ..... hopefully enough to keep us occupied for the week
snow conditions
Went out for a few hours today from Les Coches, over to Plagne Centre, up to the top, Roche de Mio etc, skied Inversens - lovely, then Tunnel - thin with a few stones showing through lower down. Skiing back to Les Coches was interesting, parts of it negotiating huge piles of snow the cannons have created today, and part on narrow, very "firm" pistes. Perfect weather though, unbroken sunshine, no wind. Also few people about, straight onto every lift with no queues.
ski holidays
Yes, RobinS, we went the other way: down to Vanoise and over to Les Arcs.
Run down to Vanoise was fun with all snowcannons going full blast - lovely snow.
Les Arcs is similar to La Plagne: patchy until after top of Transarc.
Run down from top of Aguile Rouge was lovely.
Again, mostly quiet, no queues, just the odd stuped bomber.
Staying cold.
Looking good for then next few days as cannons can blast - but no snow from the sky forecast.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonpim, and the burning question
Where's the new Picnic area??
?..... Toofy Grin
snow report
We've just arrived in Longefoy so wondering where to ski tomorrow. Does anyone know if montalbert gondola is open so we can access the rest of the ski area and if not can anyone tell me the best way to get on the piste. We have a car so can drive.
latest report
Oh, and picnic area. Could it be the large deck area at the top of the montalbert gondola, you can see it on the far left of the web cam.
snow report
@Topperski, Take a look at my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. We did a tour of La Plagne today and I have just posted the photos. Yes, Gondola and Roche Chair working.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
snow conditions
The Pisteurs have really done a marvelous job to get the link with Les Arcs open.
Both sides, for the last 500m or so, its just a white strip with brown either side.
Probably not so hard on the Plagne side, as that bit is in the shade. But the Les Arcs side is in full sun for a lot of the day, and they've still managed to have 2 ways down. Well done.
So, 3 days, and we've still not managed any of the Becoin area, not been up the glacier, not been across to Champagny sector (hope to meet up with skichampcouk today), and not been down to Montalbert.
So there's plenty to do, and just the smidgen of a suggestion that there might be a bit of snow on Tuesday . . .
latest report
Jonpim wrote:
So, La-Plagnites (not to be confused with Gorgonites): who's here?
It seems change-over day for the next couple of weeks is Friday - today - for many companies.
So, i'm presuming rdsweb might be going, but RobinS is here in Les Coches, Chaletgirl is seeing how much more gym equipment she can squeeze into her place in Plagne Centre, boredsurfin could be down in Montalbert (yet again forgot the hobnobs i'm afraid) . . . maybe more unknown snowheads around the place.
Yes! Time some of us met up, for a ski or a beer or a coffee or even an ovaltine.
We should be out tomorrow, hopefully a little earlier than today (it was midday before ventured forth).
Give us a buzz if you're up for it. snowHead

Missed this as was out working friday and saturday!

You likely to be in La Mine later or tomorrow afternoon?

I haven't sorted my pass yet as I'm very wary about my knee still. So probably won't ski before Christmas. But am about, so a meet up would be good (I 'might' have met your other half briefly the other day? She was talking to Gillian?)

Hope to catch up Smile
snow conditions
Masses of new snow in La Plagne!

(wonderful things, snow cannons Toofy Grin Toofy Grin)
latest report
Jonpim, lovely - I envy you.
latest report
Skied the runs on the Bellecote Sunday - fantastic weather and conditions there then. Today only been out for couple of hours, went over to Peisey Vallandry - warmer so less icy and good skiing, but some of the pistes are suffering a bit. The pisteurs have done a fantastic job, but it could be difficult if the weather does not change. The locals in the ski shop reckon it is not going to snow until January.
ski holidays
And those pesky locals are often right RobinS.
We didn't ski yesterday, despite the overnight 2cm or so.
Day looked dull and windy, and i had to go to the dentist (excellent bloke in Les Arcs 1600).
But we went out today. Still rather windy, no access to Roche de Mio and Glacier closed.
Pistes still holding up ok, but temperature has risen a bit so damage is going to get quicker.

The Envers Lift looks abandonned:

But we found the Secret Picnic Place at last:
ski holidays
@Jonpim, Oh, feel slightly disappointed its so close to home snowHead
snow conditions
Well, that's it for my first stint skiing this season.
Today we went up to the Glacier in glorious sunshine.
It was lovely up there in the sheltered places that were protected from last 2 days wind.
The run down by the glacier chair had a good 10 cm of soft fluffy snow on it first thing.
When things got busy we moved over to Combe - they've clearly had to forgo the announcement of leaving the area "Natur" and driven a zig-zag snow road down because not enough snow to safely ski straight down.
After a stop for mint tea and Twixes, the light started to fail as sky filled with grey clouds.
So we came back down - even did Chalet de Bellecote on the way (interestingly bumpy run, as if pisted by Picasso).
Runs mostly holding up, but we're not sad to be going home for Christmas.
Thanks to all those we met up with (espec skichampcouk).
And apologies to chaletgirl for not making it to Les Mines, but they don't serve Ovaltine rolling eyes
Back in 4 weeks . . . .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy