Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
Jonpim wrote:

And apologies to chaletgirl for not making it to Les Mines, but they don't serve Ovaltine rolling eyes
Back in 4 weeks . . . .

When you're back, tell me where serves Ovaltine and I'll come and meet you Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Out and across to Les Arcs today for a few hours. Seemed cooler than forecast which is helping the pistes survive, but without some snow we are just looking at the lower pistes surviving as long as possible - many are getting thin with grass showing through. That said, up high the snow is perfect firm grippy stuff. Lovely sunshine today as well, just right for a picnic sitting on rock at the side of the piste, which is quite uncommon this time of year.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sunny all day. Very warm on the Champagny side. Cooler on the glacier. Nice day to be out if somewhat limited obviously. Unfortunately it's looking like more of the same over the next few days.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Out again today - all much the same, good picnicking weather.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Out on the La Plagne side again today, mainly sunny with a little light high cloud. Pistes firm with lots of icy sections, and they have somehow opened a few more bits and pieces which helps spread the people out, but many are very thin and narrow. If a piste is marked "Faible enneigement" they really mean that the grass and rocks are showing through. Good side is that it is not very busy!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Had a wander around today was very impressed with the piste management, there is less open than last Christmas but what there is has been very well looked after. Discovered some new routes down Gavrotte (the red off Cretes) so good went back and did it again. It's marked as non pisted and not for beginners, but is great fun, previously I have always followed the marked piste around the edge but today the poles were straight down the middle snowHead
The red Montalbert piste down to the village was totally man made but remained in good condition right down to the village but again signs were saying good skiers only and please use the Gondola to descend - backed up by piste patrollers actually talking to people with kids and beginners advising them to use the lift to get down ...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Greetings from Plagne Villages. Conditions are far better than i was expecting. Probably less that half the pistes are open but the runs that are available are in pretty good nick. The warm weather is stopping things getting too icy.

The snow from Grand Rochette down to the left hand turn onto Mira was almost perfect. Even the shaded drop down from there to the top of the Colossus was pretty good.

The main problem is that the lack of open pistes is condensing the crowds in certain spots. e.g. the drop down from the Yacht Club (Arpette Bar) past Belle Plagne and on towards Bellecote.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ukredsox, yep, crowds were very noticeable today as were ski school snakes!
Plus people holding up lift queues until their friends shuffled through grrrr Skullie
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin wrote:
Plus people holding up lift queues until their friends shuffled through grrrr Skullie

Ah Mr Meldrew was wondering where you were.... Laughing Laughing

How are things over that side, arriving 7th for a week and looking grim, nothing new on the horizon. Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep, grim, but what is open over here is in good condition- a real credit to the piste teams.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin wrote:

Had one bloke in front of me today who let three chairs go by before he decided to get on the Bergerie.

Later on in the day, they had two staff encouraging people to fill in the gaps and get on quickly
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Encountered a couple of bizarre piste closures today.

Did a Tunnel run off RdM. Very good conditions until a couple of hundred yards after the tunnel itself. However, there were then various danger/closure banners. The best way down involved cutting across between two pistes, round a short bit of road and then down a patch of frozen grass to the Yacht Club on the Arpette.

Later on I turned right off the top of the Blanchets with the intention of coming down Les Ours. However, there was a barrier across the piste. I followed the diversion signs and ended up upside down thanks to a rock in the middle of the piste. After getting up, i skied on in the company of another couple of Brits. However, the piste on the diversion route just ended abruptly and we had to negotiate an off-piste drop down to rejoin Les Ours. Having skied Les Ours a couple of days ago, i can't believe that the top section has deteriorated to such an extent that an off-piste diversion was deemed preferable.

Now for the good news, lower temps meant that there was plenty of snow-making last night.

No snow expected before we leave on Monday and only a light dusting forecast after that
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ukredsox, not surprised you are having to detour a bit to get down.
The webcams show an awful lot of brown now among the white.
I thought it would be just about ok for Christmas, but now the New Year crowds are arriving and no new snow, i reckon the next week could get tricky.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't mind diversions, it's just that the two i encountered today were dead ends Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well we are done for the week and heading home tomorrow. Snow report....should actually say ice report. At the very top of the la plagne and les arcs sides there is some half decent snow left but of course it's very busy up there. Basically everywhere is now very very icy with some man made stuff on top. You really do need to pick your lines down everywhere and in some cases have a good side slip in your armoury and not feel embarrassed to use it.

Don't get me wrong we have had a great week away but it's super tiring and risky battling the ice. Some of the lower runs down to la plagne and certainly back to les Coches are lethal for beginners and even some intermediates are struggling somewhat.

The very best runs we found all week are off verdons sud la plagne side the blue was quiet and good snow. The black off Aiguille Rouge and the col next to it forget the name were superb. It's really just the well populated blue runs down at 2000m and lower which are hazardous.

I'm sorry to say we encountered a large number of inconsiderate idiots all week who ski way too fast for the conditions and their own ability causing danger to others. We have seen at least a dozen bad accidents a bunch of broken legs and two Heli lifts of injured skiers. Sorry to be a doom monger but please take care this new year week as no new snow forecast.

The limited number of runs open doesn't help causing a few bottle necks like at the bottom of arpette especially. Skiing at les arcs was probably better than la plagne slightly. That all said I really do doff my cap to the pisteurs who have done an incredible job in keeping runs open and making at least manageable and enjoyable.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 30-12-16 17:33; edited 2 times in total
latest report
The piste leading down to Adrets and Envers on Dec. 30th 2016.
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, Genius or tragic?
latest report
Plagne Centre 30 December 2016

latest report
@thefatcontroller, Genius, looking around today nothing would be open if it wasn't for snowmaking.
My memory isn't exact but 30 or 40? Years ago before snowmaking LP didn't open until January

The hordes that descend on Paradiski are going to make Sunday an interesting day!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 30-12-16 17:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Champagny from the Rosa lift December 30th 2016
snow report
Well our guests at Les Coches have been out having fun, but in my opinion the conditions range from adequate up high to terrible in places low down - where there is some snow! Lots of thin patches, and sheets of ice, with quite a few people about means caution is needed. Just hoping for some real snow soon.
latest report
Happy New Year to everyone over the other side of the Vanoise. Hope to have a ski with so e of you as well this season! Have a nice day in the sun today. We are meeting at the Bulle Cafe in Arc 2000 bowl at 12 noon for a New Year drink for anyone coming over our way. Very Happy
snow conditions
@jirac18, We were in Les Arc last week and I fully agree what you say about stupid idiots going too fast for their ability/conditions. I can ride my board to a good standard and was on the end of a french dude ploughing through the back of me on my blind side which ended with us both in a heap. It could have been so much worse but luckily my impact shorts took the brunt of it.

I also question if some of the runs should actually stay open with so many stones / rocks starting to show.

If anyone is out in the next week or so slow down and take your time and make sure you come back in one piece.
latest report
Anyone in La Plagne now, can you confirm if it's snowing at all. I looked on the les couches webcam and it's looking whiter today than it has so positive thinking it will get better for the 15th. Thanks
snow report
@Crispyapplepie, The local weather forecast gives a lot of hope - particularly from the 8th onwards! In fact right through to the 17th theres snow every day! If you are driving practice with your snow chains.

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-france/macot-la-plagne/73210

Bear in mind this is for Macot at about 1000m
ski holidays
Snowing in Les Arcs currently so hopefully some falling over in la plagne.
snow conditions
No snow falling here in Plagne Soleil as yet but the wind has picked up. More snow is needed as by 3PM the runs back into the villages have large icy sections which are catching many people out.
snow report
Doesn't looks like much is hitting la plagne from the radar: http://www.radareu.cz/

So far mostly hitting further north and west. Still some bands coming in though, so still hope.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A few showers hitting la plagne now I reckon. Fingers crossed.
snow report
Morning update: about 1cm in Plagne Soleil overnight but still snowing lightly.
latest report
Thanks for the updates. It's as I expected from the forecasts I'd seen. Don't feel too bad about it as everywhere is the same or worse so I'll take the 1cm and let's hope it keeps coming. I guess a little can make a big change Very Happy
ski holidays
Went out today over to Les Arcs with friends who staying in La Plagne. They report La Plagne still pretty icy, but other guests who have been up high reckon there is plenty of fresh snow. Over the Les Arcs side, the best conditions of the season so far. Enough fresh so you can mainly ski on real squeaky snow for the first time this season. Take care lower down though, as there is not much cover over the sheet ice!
latest report
Sorry if I'm late to the party, but I just noticed the Les Coches webcam is back in working order! Thought I would share...

http://m.webcam-hd.com/webcam-station-montchavin/webcam-montchavin-patinoire
ski holidays
Forecast looking promising for new snow this week starting tomorrow so fingers crossed the whole region gets a good sprinkle. If anyone reading this is currently in la plagne can you confirm after tomorrow Tuesday 10th if the snow drops at all and what improvements it's made.

Thanks
snow report
Local forecast looking good from Friday onwards

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-france/macot-la-plagne/73210
ski holidays
Yes I've seen that, bergfex also saying some good snow tomorrow? Hopefully just what it needs. I'm out on the 15th so pleased it's looking good. I checked the webcams for ADH today and dear me they look tragic.
ski holidays
@Crispyapplepie, are you staying in Les Coches? If you are, you have very easy access to either La Plagne or Les Arcs.
latest report
Snowing lightly in Champagny at the moment with more forecast tomorrow.

boredsurfin It's highly likely to dump it down over the next few days as we have brought forward our trip to Japan to see the kids from March to this week. No doubt the roads to Lyon airport will be covered in snow on Wednesday morning.
snow conditions
RichardB wrote:
@Crispyapplepie, are you staying in Les Coches? If you are, you have very easy access to either La Plagne or Les Arcs.

No pal we're in plagne ctr. Thankfully it's right on the piste so full ski in and out. If there is snow. Ha looking this morning and 14cm forecast today with a metre forecast from today to Sunday. Result we all want I guess.
ski holidays
Could go straight from pistes closed due to grass/ice to pistes closed due to loose snow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy