Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
If you are interested in seeing what conditions were like today. The Photos of our day in La Plagne are now posted over in the Jan 2017 Album on the Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowcrazy, thanks mate checked it out yesterday
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like the new Envers Chairlift won't open before March if at all this season! Lots of conspiracy theories as to why.. A few chairs are on the cable but have no safety bar on them.

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interesting stuff, boredsurfin.
Many here wonder if it isn't also something to do with the La Roche restaurant not wishing to give up the extra custom . . . .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jonpim, As it says on Perso la Plagne its a huge embarrasement for a new lift manufacturer and one of France's premier ski resorts.

Odd thing though, if you check the printed piste maps first issued in December the Envers lift isn't on it!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Verrrry Interrresting, boredsurfin, verrrry interrresting . . .
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've posted a Q asking about pedestrian lifts for my trip later in Feb. Just thought I'd post a link here in case anyone can provide any helpful updates!

Starting to dream in white....just three weeks to go......

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3006224#3006224
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@larkim, See my reply in the linked thread
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for that, very helpful!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Currently snowing in belle plagne.

Arrived on Saturday and conditions are better than expected.
Lower down near montalbert conditions are icy and patchy.
Higher up past la plagne central conditions are ok on piste.

Off piste looks non-existant.

Hopefully it will snow non stop tonight for a much higher needed top up.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Grrrr.

Is it just me that sees the flaw in this. Two years ago, some of my family members were arriving in Moutiers to travel up to Val Thorens. The Eurostar arrives 18:15. The last bus from the station on a Saturday evening leaves precisely 15 minutes before that train arrives, leaving the station at 18:00. Hence no option for a cheap transfer up. I presumed it was just a "moutiers" thing.

Whilst casting my eye around for options to get from Aime to La Plagne, I thought I'd check the public bus out. Guess what, the Eurostar arrives 18:27 and the last bus leaving Aime is.....18:15 (well, not strictly true in this case, its actually 20:45, but a two hour wait at a bus station in February isn't really what you want after a long train ride). Is this some conspiracy on behalf of the bus and transfer companies, or is there a better (more practical) reason for it (e.g. to avoid over-crowded buses full of train travellers)?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@larkim, Bienvenue en France Toofy Grin wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
larkim, the 18:15 bus is there for the 12:45 TGV from Gare Lyon - passengers are mainly French, or sensible foreigners who took the Eurostar to Paris.
The Eurostar Ski Train from St Pancras is full of Brits. Brexiteers. They get what they deserve. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quite right too. Pathetic Brits with their Brexit nonsense making unreasonable bus demands! I'm amazed the borders haven't been closed already and just leave the slopes to the French who deserve them because they are better looking, better dress sense and ski better!

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Monchavin - taking some kids - beginners, age 9-11 there in a couple of weeks. Lessons booked for mornings - any tips / advice greatly received please?
i.e. - easy runs to take them on once they find their ski legs! All have Paradiski passes so can venture over to the other side!

Thank you!
ski holidays
Incase anyone is out here next week and checking conditions.

All runs holding up pretty well, they've done a cracking job on the pistes and keeping them open. Only very few ice patches and a a lack of snow in places low down but generally all very good. Going anywhere higher above the valley is fine.

Rain at lower levels today sticky snow. Fine up top. Enjoy it's all pretty good.
latest report
Dippy wrote:
Monchavin - taking some kids - beginners, age 9-11 there in a couple of weeks. Lessons booked for mornings - any tips / advice greatly received please?
i.e. - easy runs to take them on once they find their ski legs! All have Paradiski passes so can venture over to the other side!

It's a great base. TBH your are spoilt for choice either side of the VE. Avoid anything marked black and you would be fine. As the week progresses you will enjoy traveling a bit further on each side. There is loads to explore. Later in the week see if you can find the canyon below the start of the Verdon Nord lift above Plagne Centre (off to the right as you look down the mountain). The kids will love it.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 1-02-17 15:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
if you can find the canyon below the start of the Verdon Nord lift above Plagne Centre (off to the right as you look down the mountain). The kids will love it.

Spent many a happy time doing those canyons when the kids were younger, there are also canyons near the Colosses lift and the Arepette lift and a serious one that comes out near Quillis Restaurant heli landing area. One word of caution - they are technically off piste and so off piste rescue charges apply, check your insurance covers off piste rescue charges.
ski holidays
Cheers Layne - great tip - noted!
Thank you
ski holidays
We call the canyon down from Verdon Nord lift Giggle Gulley.
Easy-peasy if you are kid with short skis - rather more tricky as adult with longer skis.

A resort of Two Halves just now.
After yesterday's rain and mild temperatures, with rain/snow line above 2100m, conditions are superb above Belle Plagne level (and strangely enough, very good over almost all of Champagny side - we did Verdon Sud 3 times).
Below that pistes are hard and unforgiving. There were a lot of Injury Sledges around the place.
But with clear blue sky and 10cm of snow, off to the side of Inversins was bliss.
Just be careful when you come down: lots of people and therefore the inevitable idiot.
It is forecast a similar day tomorrow.
Then - hopefully - a weekend of snow snowHead
ski holidays
Well, what a wonderful day!
Yesterday was ok, but Busy, and Verdon Sud packed up, and Champagny side really looking rather sad.
We came back early afternoon as cloud came in.
And then cloud went away - what about the promised snow?!?
Well it arrived overnight.
This morning was clear blue sky over white covered everything. About 10cm down here at 1800, a bit more further up.
We bombed off to Les Arcs, taking the bus to Bellecote to beat the crowds.
(last time we went on a Friday there was a queue for the Vanoise - not so today).
Pisteurs a bit slow: many runs with closed signs stating not enough snow, but actually fine: Malgovert being a perfect example.
Lunch in the wonderful Le Sanglier qui Fume above Arc 1600, and then home as the clouds came in.
And now?
Snowing hard.
Bring on tomorrow! snowHead
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
Pisteurs a bit slow: many runs with closed signs stating not enough snow, but actually fine:

Have you seen this thread?

Arguably the pisteurs were assessing the avalanche risks or checking they were skiable?
snow report
Layne, it is an interesting thread.
But as i stated above: the signs read (in French): "Closed due to lack of snow".
There was definitely no lack of snow.

That thread misses out on another reason we see daily "Run Closed", and this is the lift beyond has - or is about to - stop.
So you see this sign at the top of Arpette for skiers going either way, and at the bridge by the top of the Melezes lift going down to 1800.
In each case the sign just says "Piste Ferme" without explanation. To add that the reason is the lift has stopped might alleviate some stress in those not understanding the situation.
ski holidays
LaPlagne: 🔴 Ce week-end, les équipements spéciaux sont obligatoires si vous prenez la route pour la Plagne ! Infos 👉 savoie-route.fr/fr/conseils/co… pic.twitter.com/29f862XsdK
latest report
Special equipment (Snow Chains ) is necessary if you are driving to la Plagne this weekend.
Info 👉 https://t.co/XoOXXhNS9B https://t.co/dDvCfSC001

Traffic conditions forecast for Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 February 2017 | Savoie-route, info trafic (travaux, bouchons, accidents, pollution) en temps réel
SAVOIE-ROUTE.FR/EN/RECOMMENDAT…
snow report
P.S. Its still snowing.
(Been doing so for nearly 3 hours now . . . )
snow report
Quote:
Recommendations to drivers
Traffic conditions : PC OSIRIS bulletin
Traffic conditions forecast for Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 February 2017
In winter, adopt the right habits !
How to behave in tunnel

Real time information during periods of winter large traffic, summer migrations or extreme weather events.

Some recommendations to drivers:

By bad weather conditions: adjust your speed and be more careful.
It is forbidden to overtake snowplows while they are operating
Do not forget your snow chains, let them accessible and, before the departure, try to put them on your vehicle.
Equip yourself with warm clothes, a flashlight, bottles of water and food.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was snowing up to about 9pm last night.
This morning now been snowing steadily for about 3 hours.
Roads in the village covered in snow
I reckon there could be problems travelling today . . .
latest report
Well, what a day!
Woke to find it snowing hard.
Decided to go out - good plan.
Lots of untouched piste and oodles of untouched between-piste.
Visibility tricky, so headed for trees above Montchavin. Also Good Plan.
Hardly anyone out.
All runs superb condition. Including "half-closed" Esselet which was bliss.
(fence with Closed Sign only half across start of piste - very different from top of Pelees which was fenced from side to side with no room to slip through - didn't chance it)
Then the snow stopped and the sun came out, so we ventured down through the trees to bottom of Bauches for a well-earned lunch.
Just checking Yuge (i'm 16,000th out of 21,000 rolling eyes ) i noticed that all lifts above Bauches were closed - surely not.
But when we got to the top of Bauches, that was indeed the situation. Due to Big Wind.
Carrolay wasn't going to open until there were 20 people waiting - we made the total 12 Sad .
Eventually enough people appeared, and we started a real hairy ride. It was VERY WINDY.
And then of course Salla wasn't running.
There was quite a crowd down there, including a fair number of kids. But the lift wasn't going to run until the wind died down a bit.
Well, there was no sign of that. Were we going to have to stay the night? No, it wouldn't be that bad, so said the Lifty.
After about half an hour standing in a blizzard, suddenly they were able to start the lift - wind still same as before.
A very stop-start ride up with 4 six-seater chairs full of grateful skiers in a full-on blizzard.
Then slow progress down to Bellecote with the wind determined to push us all back up the hill.
A bedraggled bunch was waiting at the bottom of Arpette, presumably hoping to get back to Les Coches/Montchavin, or maybe (heaven help them) Les Arcs.
Colosses not running, so back home by bus (Blanchette running, presumably to get people back to Champagny)
So, happy to be home, but will be boring everyone this evening going on-and-on about our hairy adventures. Smile
latest report
Woke up this morning, and it promptly started to snow snowHead (really)
And now there are booms going off - always a good sign.
Just what the doctor ordered for the start of the holiday season.
Anyone coming out today is in for a super time (Chris Bish, hope your journey going ok)
ski holidays
Well, you guys coming out today are in for a treat.
The snow started around 8am local time, and it has not stopped. Still going now.
All runs in fun condition.
When the sun comes out tomorrow the whole place with really be Paradiski.

But note: the avalanche risk has just gone up from 2/5 to 3/5.
snow report
@Jonpim, Are you coming home now..... snowHead
snow conditions
Just two weeks to go before we lose our Paradiski virginities.

We're staying up at Aime 2000 - I was expecting to rely on the Telemetro lift from there down to the centre for ski lessons and general getting around, but it seems to be permanently flagged as "closed" - is that really the case? Seems an odd one to be out of action.
ski holidays
boredsurfin, yup. Waiting now in Lyon airport for plane home.
Resort looked magnificent when we left at 5.30 this morning. Snow on road right down to Aime.
Back in March.
snow report
Daughter is suggesting booking a flight this afternoon for the bluebird day forecast tomorrow 😀
Shame she has to be at work Smile Although £60 SOU to LYS is very tempting snowHead

Larkin, that is odd, they usually keep the Telemetro working at all cost. But when it does breakdown a free bus is put on from 2k to PC Very Happy
snow report
Cheers @boredsurfin - that's what I expected, but it's been showing closed all of last week and is also showing closed this morning. On the "Yuge" app it has big yellow and black line across it which I'm guessing means closed (though can't really tell!!), but also the app also shows it closed on the list.

https://goo.gl/photos/V6qydNyW3jCG2i1aA for screenshots of the app.

It's also been consistently showing as closed on http://winter.la-plagne.com/ski/my-paradiski/opening-slopes.html too which made me wonder if there were any issues.

I was aware of the bus though (that was plan B!) but cable cars are always nicer!
snow conditions
Skiplan - http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=la-plagne&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=en - gives the reason as "PROBLEME TECHNIQUE", and has done so for the last few weeks. Also says NAVETTES, so you can still get between villages.
latest report
@Jonpim, thanks for your regular updates - enjoy your month at home!
snow report
We're on our way back to Montchavin in a few days, having had a great family holiday there last year. We are 4 families, sharing a catered Chalet, with kids from 6 to 9 years, and they all have 1 or 2 weeks of skiing behind them.

Last year, we were not too adventurous, and never made it beyond the top of Salla and Crozats lifts. This year, the kids will be up to longer trips after lessons finish at noon. So, can anyone give some good suggestions of nice gentle blues for early in the week, and something a little more adventurous for later on?

Also, any advice on good lunch stops would be great.

Thanks in advance...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy