Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
@kezmanjacks, Unless the forecast is wrong and you have a choice I would head to Val Thorens!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boredsurfin, what do you mean you're back in Hampshire?
We haven't skied together yet - come back immediately!
Lovely soft snow, lovely cloud, possibly even some lovely rain - why would you want to be in UK?

At present we're in Tignes.
Monday we skied Les Arcs. We stuck to 1600/1800 area. Very quiet. Pistes in good condition and empty. Great fun.
Yesterday we tried La Rosiere and LunchinItaly (skied over to La Thuile). A lovely day. La Thuile especially quiet. lunch in Maison Carrel.
Today Tignes. Day started rather dingy with a few flakes of snow. Didn't look promising, but actually turned out fine until early afternoon when cloud came in and flattened the light. Soft snow on Face made it the most enjoyable ever (i hate hard pistes).
Weather forecasts all over the place for here and La Plagne. Warm/cold, rain/snow, cloud/sun - throw the dice and see what comes up.

Val Thorens is fine, as long as the clouds stay away and you can see where you're going.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jonpim, Ok we'll be back on the 9th Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies guys - heading to Belle Plange 3rd April for 3 days. Hope its good Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ITS SNOWING!!!!

Its currently snowing in Plagne Centre an looks like its probably snowing past 1800 Smile Smile Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hello
Joining this one as we have a few days in Les Arc 8-12 April and will head to LP for one of those days. We've never been to either so any info is good info.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arriving Montalbert on Monday, does anybody know if the new chair is running yet?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nope. Closed today with a lot of bare earth around it. May open during next week though...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@thunderer, Due to open 24th or 25th although there was a report yesterday that suggested 30th March....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just about to travel to Le Plagne for this next week, staying up in Belle Plagne, volunteering with the disabled ski club.... Keep an eye out for us, with 2 "new to snow" adaptive skiers (bucket seats on skis with out rigger skis / stabalisers)....I will try to wear my snowhead snood...
have warm weather gear ready !! Just hope there is enough for our adaptive skiers to enjoy !.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@noisey, Take an umbrella Sad Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@boredsurfin, Hope it does, save skiing down to La Roche in the rain !!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@thunderer, Hold that comment the forecast has changed to Hot and Sunny!
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boredsurfin, Just packed my light weight jacket !!! fingers crossed that it is working mind, get up the mountain quicker.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Surprising difference in weather Tignes to La Plagne.
Tignes on Thursday was cold and windy and snowing decent sized flakes giving pleasant thin fluffy cover.
Came back to La Plagne that evening and it was dull warm and snowless.
Montalbert now looking rather sad.
Still, the sun is out today - better than rain.
funny season . . .
latest report
Rather windy today - no access to Roche de Mio.
Almost Scottish weather: rapidly going from blizzard and cold to sunny and almost warm.
But does give hope that precipitation this evening with be snow rather than rain.

Skied past the Envers lift.
We were told by Lifty last week it would open today.
Some hope:

Would be an unpleasant exit from the chair - landing on mud, rather than snow.

Friend was talking to Lifty today and told Envers won't open this season Sad
latest report
Just driven back from the top of Tignes to La Plagne. Its snowing in both places but snow in La Plagne starts at 1800 and isn't quite as heavy as in Tignes - yet. Forecast is apparently for lots over night, which will make the 6am pick up have from Plagne 1800 to Peisey interesting!!! Smile Smile

Just damn good to see the snow Smile
latest report
Jonpim,
from PersoPlagne

Quote:
Confirmation officielle...Envers Chairlift

The final reception of the ETS of the Envers should have taken place this week. The innovative and unprecedented design of this device leads to time-consuming administrative procedures, which forces us to postpone its opening. The inauguration, however, will take place on the scheduled date, March 30.

We make every effort to ensure that this new device can be opened to customers before the end of the season.
We prefer not to set a precise date yet ....
We will keep you informed in the near future!
snow conditions
Snowing hard in Les Coches now... about a cm has settled so far (!)

Should be nice above 2000m tomorrow
ski holidays
Looking rather nice this morning at 1800:

snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Wonderful morning: slopes covered with 10cm fluffy snow and bright sunshine.
Everywhere just lovely.
But getting heavy by about 11am.
Early lunch and weather starting turning.
Then - what do you know! - now snowing heavily.
Snow! Down here at 1800!
Perfick snowHead
snow report
Really fun day - agree with Jonpim's description.

Skied powder at the top of Mont Blanc/Pierre Blanche til mid-morning, then enjoyed the Belle Plagne area. Around 40cm new snow at the very top, but everything below about 17-1800m had melted by the afternoon.
ski holidays
Hi all. Looking for recommendations week of 8 April. 2 adults, decent skiers, 1 child aged 6, flocon level. Which resort would be best: La Plagne, Les Arcs Peisey or La Rosiere (Les Eucherts)? Thanks.
snow conditions
@Miss Smith, on current forecasts Val Thorens would be the best choice in France
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, take a look at my photos from yesterday, today and just wait till tomorrow and then say Val Thorens is better!! The Paradiski is right now just as good as anywhere. We had awesome snow today! There may be more snow coming as well and the base is good high up.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/

@Miss Smith, With a young child if you can afford it Arc 1950 is great. Car free and good English speaking ski schools. Otherwise cheaper in Arc 1800. Peisey Vallandry is also OK, but not as good for the young one. Arc 1800 has more for them to do. Hope that helps. Very Happy
snow report
snowcrazy, Please be realistic April 8th is a long way away it is nearly Easter (16th) after all, " High up" and need arvi gear (to quote your latest Facebook advert) How many kms of paradis ski are pisted runs are above 2000m?
Below 2000m is not exactly good skiing at the moment is it? The average one week a year ski holiday maker will spend most of their time below 2000m particularly as the glacier access lifts have prominent signs saying good skiers only, Chiaupe has signs saying VERY good skiers only!
Les Arcs may be different of course......Although I notice from your posts on here you do, as usual, appear to spend most of your Les Arcs time in La Plagne snowHead
snow report
Val Thorens is beyond my budget, sadly. La Plagne is affordable though as is Tignes (possibly) so are they significantly better option? Thanks
snow conditions
@Miss Smith, despite what the person above has said. If funds are limited. There are some great late bargins to be found for your family. If La Plagne. Best would be Belle Plagne as snow sure even at Easter. If Les Arcs side, either Arc 1800 as mentioned or Arc 2000 which is also snow sure. Hope that helps and have a good holiday wherever you go!

@boredsurfin, as someone that ownes a place out here I find it funny that you do not encoursge people a little more. One question. Are you actually here right now or back in the UK. I do not have time now to continue this debate, but will post photos of the great pistes in La Plagne when I get back from skiing. Everyone who already reads the Les Arcs thread know that more than 60%, maybe more is above 2000m and you just need to look at my photos to see the great snow right now. The dates of this person are only about 10 days away. Think conditions will still be good then even without more snow.

Time to go. Oh and 85% of paradiski area is open roght now according to the radio I just heard. Bye!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Keeping it honest, live webcam, this is 1250m today, best conditions are clearly on the upper slopes above 2000m .....

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 27-03-17 17:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Miss Smith wrote:
Hi all. Looking for recommendations week of 8 April. 2 adults, decent skiers, 1 child aged 6, flocon level. Which resort would be best: La Plagne, Les Arcs Peisey or La Rosiere (Les Eucherts)? Thanks.

I would forget La Ros. All the resorts of Paradiski, Espace Killy and Le Trois Vallees have high altitude skiing. If you are going to Paradiski it won't make much odds if going to La Plagne or Les Arcs. The different "villages" within each do vary a bit. What sort of accommodation, deals are you looking at - TO, DIY?
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Keeping it honest, live webcam, best conditions are on the upper slopes above 2000m .....

A picture is worth a thousand words.

That is Montchavin at 1250m - so I don't know what you are trying to prove boredsurfin?
snow conditions
@snowcrazy, As someone who looks at this thread and others in order to try and get an idea of what current conditions are like, the last thing in the world that anyone needs is property owners trying to 'encourage' people. It destroys any hope of credibility. Glorious photos of someone skiing in deep snow at an unidentified spot at an unidentified height are hugely enjoyable but not much help.

Webcam images taken at 1250m, for example, are actually more useful in many ways
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu, webcam images of 1250 are just a very small % of the available skiing , yes it gives a picture but when most of the skiing is way above 1250 its hardly a balanced view .
snow report
That run to Montchavin in La Plagne is not representative of the conditions in Les Arcs. Almost every run in Les Arcs (except the run above Villaroger) is likely to have better snow than that, and even that run in Montchavin looks as though it could keep going for two weeks. I expect that if you looked at a webcam at 1200m in any resort in France now it would look as above or worse.

I'd guess that only Tignes/Val Thorens would be more snow sure than Les Arcs for 8th April.
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@snowcrazy, As someone who looks at this thread and others in order to try and get an idea of what current conditions are like, the last thing in the world that anyone needs is property owners trying to 'encourage' people. It destroys any hope of credibility. Glorious photos of someone skiing in deep snow at an unidentified spot at an unidentified height are hugely enjoyable but not much help.

Webcam images taken at 1250m, for example, are actually more useful in many ways

Quite.

snowymum wrote:

I'd guess that only Tignes/Val Thorens would be more snow sure than Les Arcs for 8th April.

Exactly my point.

Layne, I don't need to 'prove' anything. The picture at 1250m shows that the snow is better on the upper slopes and pretty crap lower down.
I have edited my comment to say the pic is 1250m in case anyone else is confused.
latest report
Well, everything we skied today was lovely.
Bright sunshine in clear blue sky.
All pistes above Bellecote and Plagne Centre in excellent condition.
A bit soft down to 1800, but we like that sort of stuff.
And the runs down to La Roche (1550m) were fine yesterday.
More clear blue skies forecast for tomorrow.
We are happy bunnies. snowHead
snow report
Skiing down to 1250m was fine last week - and many stayed good right through the day as everyone headed high, leaving the low runs quiet. The angle of the webcam (fish-eye?) makes the piste in the picture look much narrower than it really is.
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu, @boredsurfin, As a number of people have already pointed out posting a webcam shot when you are not even in the Alps does not really tell anyone the full picture. IMO very few people would book to stay at 1250m at Easter, but at Belle Plagne there is loads of snow, as much as in most of the Three Valleys and Espace Killy. I have been in both these places recently.

@Jonpim, I agree! We were also over in La Plagne today and everywhere we skied was great! I think the dome and gloom people just do not enjoy spring skiing. We found fresh tracks in spring snow again today.

And all the pistes we skied on were all in very good condition in the morning and typical spring snow in the afternoon. A great day was had by all!

Photos of today on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page in the Easter Break 2017 Album. Take a look and enjoy!

Anyone coming out in the next few weeks will have a great time! They say it might even snow again next weekend! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:
Layne, I don't need to 'prove' anything. The picture at 1250m shows that the snow is better on the upper slopes and pretty crap lower down.

Storm in a teacup this.

If you read this TR you will see that even in April it is not always the case that altitude wins. As it says in the report we spent the whole week skiing between 1600 and 2400m.

Paradiski, EK and 3 valleys all have altitude that covers every eventuality - I wouldn't sweat going to one over the other on that count personally. I probably ought to include ADH in that list seeing as I'm going there next week!

Maybe Chris let's his enthusiasm for the area run away with him sometimes but I think he's essentially right. As ever just my opinion.
snow conditions
@snowcrazy, As Layne says, this is a bit of a storm in a teacup but....

1. Posting a webcam image of the summit at 2,500m, or even somewhere at 2,000m isn't ever much help. If there's no snow there then you KNOW you've got serious problems. You could argue that a selection of webcam images are more helpful than just one, but if you want to demonstrate how a glacier is retreating you don't show a picture of the top, or show the middle of a lake that's shrinking. You show the limits. A quick glance at Boredsurfin's webcam image and I've got a pretty good idea of what it's going to be like throughout the resort.
2. My point was not really about webcam images but the idea that people who own property in the Alps should be more 'encouraging.' Be honest and let the readers decide.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy