Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
Stories circulating around that the new Envers lift will not open at all this season Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in both LP and Les Arcs last week and the lack of snow is definitely a problem below around 1800m - plenty of closed or almost-closed pistes running down to Peisey/Vallandry/Les Coches (where I was staying). But above that level there is lots and lots of snow, and we had a great time aside from whenever we wanted to head down to village level.

The picture of Montchavin isn't particularly disingenuous by the way - we did see a few people skiing down that piste but it was pretty minging.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tripowski wrote:
I was in both LP and Les Arcs last week and the lack of snow is definitely a problem below around 1800m - plenty of closed or almost-closed pistes running down to Peisey/Vallandry/Les Coches (where I was staying). But above that level there is lots and lots of snow, and we had a great time aside from whenever we wanted to head down to village level.

The picture of Montchavin isn't particularly disingenuous by the way - we did see a few people skiing down that piste but it was pretty minging.

There was a big dump of snow at the weekend. As of today 79% of pistes are open- most that are closed are black pistes. Not sure what peoples expectations are but it's looking pretty good to me Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was there on Sunday after the snow fell. Below the rough threshold I mentioned (c. 1800m) all the new snow melted within hours, leaving everything as brown as before. It was fun up top though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@foxtrotzulu, How on earth can you say that the webcam image posted by @boredsurfin, can give you an idea of what the whole ski area look's like. I have lived here for many years and I cannot get any idea about the rest of the ski area from that image. My photos of the ski area are not random. Are posted often with the details of where they were taken, but not always I agree (must keep some places secret for the locals) and I often post a few piste photos as well or describe what the piste conditions across the whole area are like. I always tell it as it is good or bad and most people that read what I write know that is correct.

Webcam images are good if they cover the whole domain and the new Livecams are great.

Do not try and imply that what I write or my photos are not correct. When was the last time you were out here? How often do you share useful info about what is going on in the area? What I write is honest and it is always up to the readers to make up their own minds! Toofy Grin

Oh, and today I was in Espace Killy and the piste and off piste conditions their were just the same as in the Paradiski area. Typical spring snow! Frozen, cruddy and crusty in the morning. Getting softer and nice to ski as the day went on then higher up re-freezing as the sun went away or staying as slush lower down. Not really any different to the Three Valley's ski area either when I was their recently!

As someone else said earlier, the Paradiski area in a high altitude domain with more than 75% of the ski area above 2000m so anyone coming to either Les Arcs or La Plagne or any of their stations will have a fun time. My advice, for Easter choose one of the higher stations if you want the snow right outside your door just as in any other ski area at this time of year.

boredsurfin, regarding the random image you posted. After some thought I think this photo demonstrates that the resort is making a big effort to keep the slopes open at a lower altitude. Well done to them for their effort. I am not sure how much longer they can do this if the warm spell continues. Montchavin is very low. There are not many ski areas in France at that Altitude which are still open. Even Villaroger is closed right now over on the Les Arcs side and skiers must use the chair to go down the last section. Arc 1600 still has plenty of snow and you can even still ski in the forests if you wish.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For anyone wondering whether there's enough snow to enjoy skiing at La Plagne at the moment

taken on Dunes above Bellecote around lunchtime on Sunday
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tripowski, lovely picture.
Just as it was on Sunday.
And not much different now.
Essentially that huge dump of snow at beginning of the month has saved the season.
But for Montchavin and Montalbert things are very end-of-season.
On Montchavin sector, Pierre Blanche was closed yesterday. They are working hard to maintain the run down to Vanoise. Just a couple of strips of white down to Montchavin. Similar situation in Montalbert.
But as before, runs above Plagne Centre and Bellecote are fine.
The real nuisance is the clock change last Sunday: we've lost an hour of decent skiing.
After overnight freeze, pistes are rock hard first thing.
Before Sunday, things had softened up by about 11.00.
Now its 12.00. So we sit in the sun and watch the world go past.
Still better than the office.

And at last i've managed to collect my Yuge picture taken at the top of Colosses chair.
But can't see how to get it off my phone and send to friends.
Anyone know how?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@tripowski, nice photo. We plan to have lunch over your side today so will take a few piste pictures as well.

@Jonpim, spot on. I hope they can keep up the great work for a few more weeks.

Time to go skiing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arriving tomorrow in Belle Plagne. Messaged on here frequently for advice and will try and remember all. Excited now.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowstorm forecast Saturday night and snow showers for Sunday

Envers finally opening in a few days ...The end of having to go lower down to get higher up from Montalbert

https://twitter.com/LaPlagne/status/847387669676007428

All looks good for Easter sunbathing snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowcrazy, Slow response you your comments above. Apologies.

I think you misunderstood my points. I certainly wasn't suggesting that your comments were untruthful or not correct'.

As for webcam images. My point wasn't that a webcam image shows you exactly what the snow is like all over the resort, but that it gives a clear sense of the extent. Obviously slopes face different ways so there are differences, but once I've seen webcam image I have a good impression of where the natural snow line might be and how well the pisteurs are getting on at keeping things going.

As for the correctness of what people post, this is a a response to your comments that suggested people with chalets to rent should be be 'encouraging' in their posts. Did you not understand why that suggests you think that posters should gild the lily, emphasising the good bits and downplaying any negatives? If that's not what you meant, then I apologise, but you'll understand why I came to that conclusion.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@louiscrow, Looking forward to your updates - Im for Belle Plange Monday!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kezmanjacks, will post something on sunday as arriving late saturday
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, we'll try and pop over to see if the Envers is actually working.
But will have to negotiate around the Super Slalom (claimed to be the longest course ever).
At least the temperature is staying cold to keep the course in decent condition, though not sure how it will be down near La Roche.
Don't look like much snow in any of the forecasts, and then temperatures will rise again.

Been very quiet this week.
Very different when we went over to Val Thorens on Thursday.
Very busy. Probably something to do with the car park being packed with coaches - coming in from low-lying resorts?
The Orelle zip wire looked fun, but €50?!
The long new blue from the top of the Zip Wire end back to the Orelle lift was gorgeous.

Last few days has been with the Disabled Skiers Group.
and we never did find out who noisey is
Exhausting. But a wonderful group of people - disabled and able all.

Last day today Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jonpim, Envers Chair still not working!!

Big tour today. Not going to double post so see comments on the Les Arcs thread about our tour today of almost the whole of the Paradiski area! We only missed out a few very far away places and we did it mostly on piste! Very Happy
ski holidays
Well, the Super Slalom was fun. Weather was kind for the morning. Big crowd down at La Roche. Rest of resort very quiet. Lovely last run down from Aime2000 to Plagne 1800 - no one seemed to have tried it all morning!
It was snowing gently as we left. About 10mm?
Now in Gare Nord waiting for Eurostar.
Just 8 months until next seaon . . .
snow report
@Jonpim, did you do the race? It was a lot of gates. Not sure my legs could do that anymore!
snow report
Still plenty of snow in the whole area above 2000m today - a few bare patches on some of the runs that are most exposed to the sun. The red run down to La Roche was lovely around 11 this morning. Mercedes black was awful just before that but mich nicer just after lunch when it had softened up a bit.
snow report
Skied all over the La Plagne side in the last few days. All the pistes across La Plagne to Mont Albert including some of the piste natures were fun then back to Les Coches and finally the VE and back onto the Les Arcs side.

Today with the fresh untracked snow high on the mountains it was another North Face of the Bellecote day. Fresh tracks in real spring powder. Really nice and easy to ski most of the way down with a little walk to finish.

More to come over the next few days. Very Happy
ski holidays
MontyP, good to know there is still fun to be had in La Plagne.
As you mention, timing is important.
And impressed they are managing to keep the vital La Roche run in decent shape.
I presume the Envers lift remains hors de combat.
snow report
@Jonpim, Noisey here !! had a fabulous week with the Disabled Skiers in Action (Glos Disabled Ski club). Not sure who you are either but we must have met / passed !! My son & I were skiing with Brian `L', Conner, Barry & Niall....
Absolutely exhausted, which was why I couldn't report anything through the week !!!
Only just recovering and getting back to some normality...
We have some great photos and video, which I was going to look at tonight.
snow report
Ah, noisey, you were belting around the high pistes with the sit-skiers.
I was the old bearded bloke in blue jacket and red trousers that came along with partner to help out on the beginners area and get Nichola down the Arpette run to the Arpette restaurant.
As you say: exhausting. Especially in that hot sun. Glorious weather, but knackering.
latest report
Lovely video showing the sunny slopes by Le Forperet restaurant on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/LeForperet/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf
ski holidays
Yes, boredsurfin, looking lovely.
Interesting how the last image suggests the restaurant was surrounded by snow when actually just a thin strip - assuming all the images were from the same day.
And impressed they have managed to keep 2 strips of snow all the way down to Montalbert (see webcam)
Last Saturday (April 1st) there was a sign at top of Gondola saying the only run down was a difficult red, and urging people to take the Gondola down.
latest report
@Jonpim, It was 26c in Montalbert today!
latest report
Ah! Same temperature as here Smile
latest report
Belle Plagne looking lovely in the sun today ....
latest report
Looks like rain over Courchevel!

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boredsurfin, Look's like you are back in La Plagne. Thought your season was over. My mistake. Good to see you back. Nice photos! If you fancy meeting up for a little riding let me know. We are on both sides of the handbag every other day right now. Very Happy
snow conditions
Great week in La Plagne and thanks for all advice on the easy blue runs. Note to self, do not end up in Champagne by mistake. Tough call to get back to Belle Plagne after 5pm. Lucky the Paradiski Staff took us in their company van to Aime.
snow report
Wow! louiscrow, you was lucky.
Its a long way round by road back from Champagny.
How on earth did you miscalculate?
There are signs all over the resort suggesting you think of you return journey by 3pm.
You post suggests you were down in Champagny "by mistake".
Some mistake!
(But nice to know other people can cock it up too - our clever mistake is trying to get to France by booking a Chunnel ticket going the other way . . . rolling eyes )
snow conditions
Miss calculation of the Levassset run. My wife has a lack of confidence, so the steepest drop on the start of the run caused a hissy fit and my calculations went to pot!

Laughing about it now though.
snow report
Jonpim wrote:

(But nice to know other people can cock it up too - our clever mistake is trying to get to France by booking a Chunnel ticket going the other way . . . rolling eyes )

Been there done that Toofy Grin
also have turned up 24 hours early for the booked train Embarassed

Have also got to Plagne 1800 to find lift closed en route back to Montalbert which resulted in a call to another of the group who hadn't missed the last lift to get in his car and come and get us....fortunately we could sit on the terrace of the Slug in Lettuce to wait the 45 mins for our friend to drive down and back up to us.
At the time we didn't realise we could have got the bus to Centre, the Tele metro to Aime 2000 and then skied back via Pravendue through the forest - but it probably would have been very dark by the time we got there. Skullie

@louiscrow, Yes....that first pitch into Levasset can be quite steep and mogulled but it is nice and wide so, big almost level traverses can get you down it, but it does take time Very Happy
Not much use atm, but when conditions are at best there is a pisted itinerary run off to the left about two thirds of the way down (just below the restaurants parked piste machine) which follows a farm track - we use it as it makes a nice change from the main piste and avoids the rope tow section altogether. It had been removed around mid March this year. (possibly due to avalanche risk as a couple of sections are close to the cliffs.)
ski holidays
With several near misses and one major hike up the mountainside to avoid a hefty taxi fare I've become quite paranoid about not getting stuck. Having young children in tow took it to the next level lol.
snow conditions
Those avid webcam watchers are probably aware of the two ribbons of piste on the Montalbert webcam, this is the right hand side one!
(Taken from the snowmaking thread)
Here are the benefits of snowmaking at around 1400m after several days of temperatures exceeding 25c (on our balcony from where this pic was taken)
the narrow strip of snow between the two snow lances had nearly disappeared yesterday afternoon, during the late afternoon and most of the evening a solitary piste machine brought all that snow you see in the centre of the picture down from storage in the woods above. The picture doesn't really show the depth of the snow which is around 3ft.
snow conditions
Heres a pic looking towards the webcam snowHead
snow conditions
When the snow runs out...
Its been quite warm today Toofy Grin
latest report
And yes, we've all seen the tourists trying to ski down grass/rocks/mud/roads that make signs like this necessary Laughing
latest report
Well thats it for me for another season. Fair to say that 2017 won't go down as memorable for snow cover, and possibly the first time a new ski lift promised by SAP hasn't actually opened as planned (Envers now opening in December) Sad
Heres to 2017/18 and a decent snowfall to start the season in December snowHead
ski holidays
So just what was the point of that "ceremony" on March 30th?
Lets hope it does really open for next season - would have been really useful this season when the run down to La Roche became Himalayan before the final road.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy