Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2016 - 2017

Poster: A snowHead
Well for a once a week skier, have to say it's not been too bad this week. Ok all our fave little cut throughs and tree routes are not possible but pistes are holding up well, although limited number open lower down.

La Plagne we found to be a lot busier and runs back to Vanoise Express were icy - for our level of ability!

Personally, and again based on my experience level, I'd say boarding is hard work and you need to make sure you have sharp edges. I switched to skis yesterday as spent too much time on arrse

If you're here next week there's enough to ski on
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Boris, Out on 7th, sadly looks like my board will stay covered in dust. No interest in taking it out on ice, value my spine too much.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@thefatcontroller, I had a lot of heavy sit downs yesterday! Boy had board serviced overnight and is loving it again now, but he's younger, fitter and a hell of a lot better!

We've had great time though Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Boris, Glad to hear you made most of it. I'm weaker on my heel edge so my spine gets it every time!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow cannons running this morning below the vanoise express. Surely a good sign
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Snow cannons running this morning below the vanoise express. Surely a good sign

Hopeful sign yes snowHead Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What are the conditions like currently high up and lower down the Montaigne? Cheers all
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ricklovesthepowder, looks like they are trying to open another run into 1800 when we went past earlier.

No sign of snow here at moment I'm afraid, is a most gorgeous blue sky and have to say enjoying a beer on balcony.

Runs are holding up well though - couple of bottlenecks in Arc 2000 bowl to get out but queues move quickly. Last pootle around soon then the joy of packing and apartment cleaning.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Boris, we only skied about 4 hours today. Late up, had lunch and a little ski afterwards, now back at the chalet for a brew and cake. Was too icy for the Mrs she as it knocks her confidence, so she bussed back from Arc 2000 to the top of the Funicalar. I skied it and beat her back Very Happy

May head over to La Rosiere/La Thuile tomorrow as the snow is aparently much better on the Italian side.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been tracking this thread all through the month and its been really useful. I'm out on the Eurostar tonight with my 3 teenage lads for a week in 2000 so this time tomorrow afternoon I'll be ready for a sharpener after the first session in a few years. Warnings noted for the less than forgiving icy pistes and out-of-control skiers. Tuesday next week promises more snow so will see if I can post an update or 2 through the week.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The worst bit of piste fornicenisbthe last 200m of the blue between Arc 2000 and 1950 just before the Marmotte chairlift. It's awful
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Was too icy for the Mrs she as it knocks her confidence, so she bussed back from Arc 2000 to the top of the Funicalar. I skied it and beat her back Very Happy

I assume that you didn't use Comborciere.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, it's closed, I believe.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:

Yep the run down to it is closed and green in more than one sense
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have just looked at the Les Arcs web site and it appears about half the resort is shut including most of the best runs. It eases the pain a little bit from not being there.
snow conditions
But it's been sunny and warm, so not all bad Happy
ski holidays
@rob@rar, ha, ha, not sure if you weren't laid up you would be saying that!
snow report
Finally got back on skis two days ago Happy
snow report
@rob@rar, Nice to hear. Good.
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, thanks.
latest report
@rob@rar, Good to hear. How does it feel is your confidence back?
snow report
rob@rar wrote:

Yes the lowest point you can ski is down to the bottom of Marmotte Chair. But it's horrible the last bit down to the lift.
latest report
johnE wrote:
I have just looked at the Les Arcs web site and it appears about half the resort is shut including most of the best runs. It eases the pain a little bit from not being there.

There is only two lifts poo-poo, but a lot of the best runs are clos do I agree last time I was here there was some fantastic blue runs which down even have any snow on let alone poor cover. But still enough to keep me going for the 4 days I'm here
snow report
@rob@rar, glad to hear you're back in the game! FWIW, my leg is beginning to come back to me: the knee is good enough, and the ankle, well, a bit of a way to go, but then again, when it's in a boot... Still, not skiing again until end Feb, so hope to get back to some fitness / exercise before then.

@Ricklovesthepowder, we hate that bit - it's right outside our apartment too, so we have to ski the top 50m to our boot room most days. It gets that way as it is the direct route from 2000 to the lifts. You can go through the 1950 village, but most people, and ski schools, just head on down. Narrow, busy, bumpy and icy - not a good combination by end of day.

+1 for going over to Rosiere and Tuille - the latter being the better of the two, 10 days ago.
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, are you out here now? Skiing solo tomorrow and thinking of heading over to Italy?
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
@rob@rar, Good to hear. How does it feel is your confidence back?
Thanks. I only had a couple of gentle days skiing with my girlfriend before heading back to the UK, but I don't think I'll have confidence issues. I've skied quite a lot over the years and this was my first proper collision, so not unduly concerned that it's a major risk every time I get on the slopes. In conditions like we have now (less grip on piste, people squeezed in to fewer runs) I'm usually a bit more aware of skiers around me, not least because I'm constantly amazed by the number of skiers and boarders who are prepared to travel around at high speed with such little control!
snow conditions
Quote:

There is only two lifts poo-poo, but a lot of the best runs are clos do I agree last time I was here there was some fantastic blue runs which down even have any snow on let alone poor cover. But still enough to keep me going for the 4 days I'm here

I don't understand.
ski holidays
Arctic Roll wrote:
@rob@rar, glad to hear you're back in the game! FWIW, my leg is beginning to come back to me: the knee is good enough, and the ankle, well, a bit of a way to go, but then again, when it's in a boot... Still, not skiing again until end Feb, so hope to get back to some fitness / exercise before then.
Sorry to hear you're still not 100%. You certainly looked very sore when we met in Bourg! Hopefully all will be well for the next trip.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seem's I have returned to green pastures lower down and less snow higher on the mountain than when I left for Christmas. Hope everyone enjoyed themselves over the festive days.

Will be up on the hill tomorrow and hopefully ski all the Paradiski areas that are open. Might be busy, not sure as it is change over day for some people.

For anyone that wants to join us on Saturday, all are welcome. We can always split into faster and more leisurely groups.

We plan to be on the 10am Funi for those coming up from the Valley. For anyone else, 10.45 - 10.55am at the Vanoise Express.

We will do the La Plagne side first and Les Arcs side on the way back. Hope to see some of you tomorrow.

I will post update of conditions with some photos over on my Les Arcs Winter page tomorrow when I get back.

@Ricklovesthepowder, Come join us tomorrow if you are interested in a tour of the whole Paradiski area.

@domed, Once you have sorted yourselves out, if you fancy meeting up let me know here or over on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. There are other youngsters around so could be fun for your lads as well.

@rob@rar, Pleased to hear you are back on skis and no lasting damage done. What happened to you is why I prefer the 'off piste'.
ski holidays
@Ricklovesthepowder, unfortunately not, was there with my daughter just before Christmas.

But if you get the chance to go out with Snowcrazy you should do so, he knows a lot of good places! (And despite his name and "fearsome reputation", lol, he will be kind to your other half...

Don't know what pass you've got, but if you're going for the day at a time, then the samedijeskie.com website is the place to go for a €30 ticket in Arcs on a Saturday - it won't get you to La Plagne with Snowcrazy, but is considerably better than the €50 otherwise. If you've got your 2 cartes from today, they can be recharged on line in the morning at the chalet, and will work as soon as you get to the Funicular.

The cartes for Ros / Tuille are different, and will be an extra €2, but well worth it - and similar to above, can be used again if you go back. I think it was about €40 for the day, plus insurance and cards.

@rob@rar, thanks. To quote the old 70's BR advert, we're getting there.
latest report
A fast tour of most of the Paradiski area today. Managed to get over to the La Plagne side in the morning and down to the bottom of the Borseliers Chair above the Champagny village. Then up top of Roche de Mio and back home. Not the normal quiet changeover day and queues at most lifts, but the snow was OK and not many rocks. Even managed a little off piste between the lifts to avoid the busy pistes.

The Verdon Sud chair and pistes was also open so made a little detour and found a few bumps.

On the way back the tunnel run down to Bellecote La Plagne was OK, but also hard packed.

Finally a ski back to the Vanoise Express on busy, but OK snow with some very polished areas on the Montchavin Le Coches side.

Back in Les Arcs similar to the morning with quieter pistes and better snow. Managed to find a little chalky snow off piste in the Arc 2000 bowl before heading for home.

Overall the conditions across the Paradiski area were not much different to when I left 10 days ago. Plenty of pistes to ski all day. Hard packed and polished in places, but also some OK snow on some pistes. The off piste is well skied with many rocks, but you can still have fun if you take care.

Hope the next few days stand up to what looks like many people just arriving.

More later! Time to go! Happy New Year everyone! I will post the photos of today later.

Meeting point for New Year's Day for anyone interested. Either 10.10am at bottom of the Mont Blanc Chair in Arc 1600, Top of Carreley Chair at 10.50am above Arc 1800 or the Bulle Cafe (Mushroom) in the Arc 2000 Bowl at 12 noon for a drink!

Hope to see some of you tomorrow!
snow report
@snowcrazy, that sounds like a full day!

Happy New Year to you.
snow conditions
We've just finished a week skiing Les Arcs. They're doing a really good job with what little snow they've got. Some of the routes down into 1800 are pretty icy, but the runs down from Col de la Chal are very pleasant indeed.

Overall - there's still plenty of fun to be had if you're heading out soon and happy to stay on the pistes, but a good dump of snow would be very welcome.

Two months until heading out to Val Thorens - surely some powder by then!!
snow report
Just had first day on the pistes around Arc 2000. Agree with the post above. Whilst far from perfect there are plenty of decent runs to be had on fairly decent snow. Not the disaster I was expecting by any means.
latest report
Having done a few hours recce yesterday afternoon, we ventured over to La Plagne today and back again. What snow there is has been reworked many times but I'm certainly not disappointed. Some pistes in full sun are some of the crispiest I've skied in a while and watched a helivac from La Plagne which made the news so just to repeat earlier warnings to be extra careful.
ski holidays
New Year's Day comes to an end with another nice dinner, thanks mate! If the rest of 2017 is as fun as today then it should be a good year! Hope you all enjoyed yourselves during the last 24hrs as well.

After not much sleep hit the slopes at 10am again and managed to keep going right until the lifts closed with a few hot chocolate stops and a little lunch.

Quite a few people, but not all, made it out today after a late night. Managed some easy piste runs to get started then headed up the Aiguille Rouge and found some nice chalky snow 'off piste' and a few other short off piste runs between the rocks in the Arc 2000 bowl. Better than being taken out by people skiing or snowboarding too fast on the pistes although they were not as busy today as in other years.

Finally back to the Arc 1800 side and one of my 'interesting' routes to the Altiport, then after a drink in Arc 1800 headed home.

To see the conditions right now take a look at the new Jan 2017 album on my Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?ref=page_internal

The plan for Monday. For those interested in meeting up. 10am funi or 10.10am at bottom of Mont Blanc chair in Arc 1600. Then 10.40am top of Carreley Chair above Arc 1800. After that you will be too late as not sure where we will be heading. Anyone welcome so bring some lunch for one last picnic before the weather starts to change, maybe! Send me a PM or text if you are likely to be late before 9.30am. Hope to see some of you again tomorrow.
latest report
Monday and time to head back to La Plagne and onto the Bellecote Glacier.

Managed to find some nice snow and had a fun day. Take a look at the photos which I have just posted in the Jan 2017 Album on my Les Arcs Winter page if you are interested in seeing what conditions in the Bellecote bowl are like right now and seeing what we found still stuck on the piste today! https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?ref=page_internal

Both the Les Arcs side and La Plagne side were less busy today, but there were a few rocks coming through on the pistes in both areas so you do need to take care. Should continue to be quieter as the week goes on. (Unless the snow they are talking about does really arrive at last!!?)

Meeting point for tomorrow. Top of Carreley Chair above Arc 1800 at 10.40am. After that depending on who comes we will decide what to do and where to go! Right now looking outside the weather does not seem to have changed much tonight, just cold again!

See some of you tomorrow!

For all those coming out in the next few days or coming weekend. If you have forgotten anything such as goggles or gloves. Need to rent skis or snowboards. Stop by Polaire Star right by the bottom of the Funicular. They are always ready and waiting to help. http://www.polairestar.com/

Also some sad news in the press yesterday. Please be careful out there. Even when it is not busy. A collision can be very serious!
http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2016/12/31/collision-mortelle-sur-les-pistes-de-la-plagne

@rob@rar, are you still around or back home, would be good to meet up for a drink if you are still resting your body! Very Happy Hope you are nearly mended Smile

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 3-01-17 0:00; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
snowcrazy wrote:
@rob@rar, are you still around or back home, would be good to meet up for a drink if you are still resting your body! Very Happy Hope you are nearly mended Smile
Thanks, but I'm back in the UK. Hope some more snow falls for you in the next week.
ski holidays
Enjoyed Christmas in 2000 and would just like to add my 2p that the teams managing the pistes are doing a great job. The reservoir is looking low as they are making lots of snow. The pistes around 2000 are all well looked after and only the runs heading into lower resorts are patchy in places. Yes, some runs are closed and not managed, but there is loads of skiing to be done. All the runs down from the Arcabulle are good, most runs from the Bois De L'Ours are OK, the blue and red runs from the Varet are OK too and the Aguille Rouge is great until you head past Lanchettes Lift (there are small stones in places after this).

If heading out in the coming days, rest assured there is plenty of fun to be had on the pistes.
ski holidays
A bit of a cold start today, I'm in Arc 2000 with my daughter so have easy access to the lifts, we arrived on Saturday so have been exploring since then.
On Sunday we stayed in Les Arc mainly around the main bowl at 2000 but did venture over the top.
On Monday we ventured across to La Plagne eating down in bellcote before doing the tunnel run and returning.
Imho the pistes travelling through Les Arc were in better shape than La Plagne although they had done a lot of work with the snow cannons to ensure the link was open, higher up i where there are less cannons my bases took a hammering.
Today after a cold start (sore head when you put your foot down cold) up to the top of Les Arc we headed over the top and played around 1800. We had loads of fun on the open runs with less stones due the cannons, we had a few runs through the snow park and the boarder cross.
After dropping the daughter off after lunch due to a bit of a bug I got to try some of the bumps and then back over to 1800.
Overall I think the runs are in better shape in 1800 than in 2000 if you hit the slopes before lunch, there are less cannons around 2000 making the snow very scraped very quickly whereas over in 1800 the shine didn't come through until 2pm.
I'm still having a great time but my ski's seem to be taking a hammering from the stones😡
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy