Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2016 - 2017

Poster: A snowHead
Tuesday Jan 4 2017. A day in Les Arcs on the steep slopes. Take a look at the photos to see what is still possible away from the pistes. Plenty to keep you busy all day. We did not hit any stones all day and hardly used any pistes! Enjoy.Very Happy

Photos are posted in the Jan 2017 Album on my Les Arcs Winter page. Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?ref=page_internal
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi everyone, thanks so much for all the info on this thread, this will be our first trip to Les Arc so I think I'll be going back through and writing notes before we go out in 6 weeks!

I've probably already read & forgotten the answer to this so please feel free to tell me to go back & look Shock

We are taking my stepkids (11 & 8 yrs old) to 1950 in half term, it will be their second ski trip - first was Feb 16, to a much smaller resort in the Vosges region. They loved it, mastered greens and managed a couple of easy blues by the end of the week.

There doesn't look to be many obvious greens for them to start off on in the piste map - would someone mind recommending some good runs for their first day to get them back into it? They've had a few hours at MK this autumn so have kept it up a bit.

Thanks in advance
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ScarlettInSpace, welcome to Les Arcs.

The Arcs don't 'do' greens: there are none on the piste maps. This doesn't mean that all runs are terrifyingly hard for beginners however! Just that the printers ran out of ink...

From 1950 the easiest run to start with is Cascades, down to the Pre St Esprit lift. This has a slight downside of being a 15 min lift that is a slow, cold return to the main domain (being replaced next year) but is a good start point. Alternatively, I'd suggest taking the Marmottes lift from the bottom of the village, then Arcabulle right to the top, where your children can take the Plan des Eaux blue: this then joins Valley de l'Arc which you can take all the way back to 1950, or retrace your steps back up via Plagnettes or Arcabulle lifts depending on your timing.

Marmottes piste back into the village does have one tricky little pitch of about 100m length, just above the village (take it easy: it's not too hard, but can look daunting first time) but is otherwise a great run for the return.

Some will no doubt suggest runs off the St Jacques lift, which is where the 'newbies' tend to end up for the first few days: these are definitely in the green end of the spectrum. You are the best judge of your step-children's ability and desire and whether you/they need that as a first step towards bigger and better.

Other blues in the area to be explored later include Plan Verte, Edelweiss and Dents du Peigne, all eminently suitable for 2nd week skiers. And I have no doubt that the reds off Col de la Chal (Arcabulle lift) will be attempted before the end of the week, whether you want them to or not!

AR
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And don't forget to book any restaurants you choose to go in, maybe even a few days in advance.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ScarlettInSpace, For a good introductory circuit of Les Arcs may I reccomend taking @Arctic Roll's, advice by heading down Cascades to Pre st Espirit, but then take the Comborciere lift towards Arc1600. From there head down Mont Blanc towards Arc1600 and either Cachette or Mont Blanc lifts (the combination of Comborciere and cachette allow fine views of other skiers antics with usually some good race trainiing on view from Cachette) then take Belvedere down to the Transarc and returing to the top of the Arc2000 valley. If your navigation skills are upto it then you can continue along Belvedere to the Grizzly lift in Vallandry and from the top of that ski back to the Transarc.

This will give a good introduction to the whole of the ski area and will take at least half a day (I took my nepthew on it for his 3rd afternoon on skis but left out theMont Blanc piste). I assume your children will be in ski school in the mornings so their instructor will have bought them up to speed.

Just a couple of points about this are:

1/ Mont Blanc is towards the hard side of blues
2/ The transarc is not the nicest of lifts it may be better to take the Carreley chair lift
3/ The continuation of Belvedere to Vallandry can be difficult to spot. I know many regulars to Les Arcs who miss it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arctic Roll wrote:
@ScarlettInSpace,
Some will no doubt suggest runs off the St Jacques lift, which is where the 'newbies' tend to end up for the first few days: these are definitely in the green end of the spectrum. You are the best judge of your step-children's ability and desire and whether you/they need that as a first step towards bigger and better.

Other blues in the area to be explored later include Plan Verte, Edelweiss and Dents du Peigne, all eminently suitable for 2nd week skiers. And I have no doubt that the reds off Col de la Chal (Arcabulle lift) will be attempted before the end of the week, whether you want them to or not!

AR

The run to the left off St Jacques would be a green in many resorts. Straight off the lift it is flat, then a small bend before it opens into a very safe, wide gentle slope. Great for any newbies and kids to practice the turns and gain confidence.

They should progress easily to Plan Verte and Edelweiss. Have a great trip.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was told yesterday that because of hard snow conditions they are enforcing helmet wearing in Les Arcs at the moment. Anyone know if this is true?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@nabus, see http://www.lesarcs.com/livecam-vagere.html clearly the answer is no. There is a higher propotion of helmet wearers than normal - must be a higher proportion of brits.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nabus wrote:
I was told yesterday that because of hard snow conditions they are enforcing helmet wearing in Les Arcs at the moment. Anyone know if this is true?

Who told you?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone, really helpful Smile

11yr old text me this morning to say she's been watching skiing videos on YouTube so she thinks she needs new salopettes - heaven knows how she's made that link!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For the sad webcam junkies Embarassed Embarassed (how did people survive conference calls before webcams in ski resort?) a new live webcam in Arc 2000

http://www.lesarcs.com/livecam-arc2000.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So trickier conditions this afternoon with the light levels low, the pistes glassing over....again, stones and Little rocks that the piste police can't keep covering up but walking over to the bowling sports bar to watch the Chelsea match and its snowing. Promises to snow 3-4 inches tonight and light snow tomorrow which should definitely sort it out for a couple of weeks.
I'm still surprised at how quiet the resort is for the NY week. The Roche de Mio was the busiest lift so far but yesterday the middle lad and I were 2 of only 7 on the Aguille Rouge cable car just before it shut. Will be taking all 3 of my lads across to La Plagne for the 3rd time tomorrow. The runs through the forest either side of the VE should be even better with some fresh snow.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
domed wrote:
So trickier conditions this afternoon with the light levels low, the pistes glassing over....again, stones and Little rocks that the piste police can't keep covering up but walking over to the bowling sports bar to watch the Chelsea match and its snowing. Promises to snow 3-4 inches tonight and light snow tomorrow which should definitely sort it out for a couple of weeks.
I'm still surprised at how quiet the resort is for the NY week. The Roche de Mio was the busiest lift so far but yesterday the middle lad and I were 2 of only 7 on the Aguille Rouge cable car just before it shut. Will be taking all 3 of my lads across to La Plagne for the 3rd time tomorrow. The runs through the forest either side of the VE should be even better with some fresh snow.

Thanks, out Saturday so glad to hear its snowing Toofy Grin This week should be a peak week for Arc 2000 and especially 1950 as it is Russian orthodox new year on the 7th, normally heaving Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wednesday 4 Jan 2017. A fast ski over to the Bellecote Bowl and a few routes on firm chalky snow in the off piste area. Some hard packed polished places, but also some good firm grippy snow with a nice light covering of thin softer snow. Well worth the effort of getting across to the Bellecote bowl and a nice extra route on the way back as well!

Back in Les Arcs the central ridge in Arc 2000 bowl proved interesting. With fresh snow this is a great place to ride. Right now, take care as it is very icy!

Take a look at the photos of today which are now posted in the Jan 2017 Album if you are interested in seeing what conditions are like right now.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/

The pistes in Les Arcs and across La Plagne to the Bellecote were very firm with a softer layer on top during the morning making a pleasant ski across. On the return trip most pistes had become much more polished with a few softer spots, but not many!

The wind had picked up a little and this made the day seem very cold. There are a few stones and dirty patches coming through in some places on the more busy pistes, but the ski area has done a great job of keeping so much open as this is now the longest period without snow since the 1960's I believe.

We are all hoping the clouds and cold temps bring more snow tonight, fingers and toes crossed!

Tomorrow we are meeting at the top of the Carreley lift at 10.40am then maybe making a tour if the light is flat, bad weather predicted! Come along and join us for a nice cruise and lunch.

RE: Helmets. They are always recommended, but there is no laws to enforce this in France. The gossip you heard is not correct!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowing lightly currently in Arc 2000 although quite windy so not sure how much will settle on the pistes.
ski holidays
Just looked outside and not doing anything down lower so very local right now. Hope it increases as the night goes on. Fingers crossed to a white morning! Very Happy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Light snow here still in Arc 2000. Doesn't look like a huge amount has settled but every little bit counts!
snow conditions
Sadly snow line seemed to be about 1800m but still better looking than it was.
snow conditions
It's hard to tell how much has fallen at 2000 as the wind is blowing it around, I would estimate around 5cm but it's still coming down. Very fine snow rather than the big fluffy flakes we all love to see Very Happy
latest report
@thefatcontroller, loving that live cam - can see the participants walking to ski school! ( I did write 'kids', but thought that a bit creepy...)
snow conditions
Arctic Roll wrote:
@thefatcontroller, loving that live cam - can see the participants walking to ski school! ( I did write 'kids', but thought that a bit creepy...)

Laughing Laughing that spot will be very busy now as the new hotel is to the left of the camera. Only a small narrow route there now
snow report
@thefatcontroller, Oh my God, what a timesuck...

seems to have a greater range of moment now than earlier in the morning, can see all the way around to the main square, and the 'renowned' (well, in Snowheads answers to questions on where to rent/buy/service in 2000) Equilbres shop

Stopitstopitstopitstopit
latest report
Still snowing in Arc 2000 bowl.
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, Even works well in safari on an iPhone, you can sit st the back of a meeting room dreaming Very Happy
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
nabus wrote:

Who told you?

A friend who read it online.

johnE wrote:
@nabus, see http://www.lesarcs.com/livecam-vagere.html clearly the answer is no. There is a higher propotion of helmet wearers than normal - must be a higher proportion of brits.

Thanks - don't know why I didn't think to check a webcam!
snow conditions
@thefatcontroller,
just for completeness, 1950 too now has a live feed:

http://www.arc1950.com/webcams-meteo-la-station-en-live.html

more timesuck...
ski holidays
Arctic Roll wrote:
@thefatcontroller,
just for completeness, 1950 too now has a live feed:

http://www.arc1950.com/webcams-meteo-la-station-en-live.html

more timesuck...

Oh you amateur... Laughing

So has 1800 and 1600.. This is the best link to all webcams now. Live ones on the right end.. Embarassed

http://www.lesarcs.com/webcams.html
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, ba$tard...

looks good out there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Edit double post...

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 5-01-17 17:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
My wife went out to 1600 last yast year without me so I wasted rather too much time monitoring her on the livecams.

Does this consitute stalking?

Combettes is completely deserted. Is this really New Year week?
snow report
@johnE, Toofy Grin and next week even quieter... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
It's days like these that you remember. Getting out early and being one of the first on the Arcabulle to ski through untracked powder on (and off the pistes). Not all runs either side of the VE were open but the visibility was a little better. Looked though that Les Arcs had got the best of the snow so headed back at midday and it was still lightly snowing in places during the afternoon. More people out today but it's not busy by any standard. More snow promised for Tuesday next week so the resort should be in top form then.
And to add my tuppence worth on helmets.....wear one. I think I'm a really good motorcyclist but I'd never ride without a lid. And it keeps your ears warm.
ski holidays
Oh what a day!! Maybe that is enough said or I should just add that we had soft powder! yes powder! all day. Untracked! Everywhere we skied! Both off piste and even when we first went up on some pistes.

Yes, it really did snow last night. Not just the 5cm as we expected, but a lot more. Maybe up top as much as 15cm. With the wind blowing it about it formed some deep drifts which meant if you choose the right slope you found plenty to enjoy all day.

Even better I only dropped through onto a few rocks and at the end of the day my skis were still fine!

Take a look at the photos I shall be posting shortly, they say it all! https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/

Started the day putting down fresh tracks under the Arpette chair. Always nice to be the first. Then spent most of the day on the Aiguille Rouge faces, the middle ridge area of the Arc 2000 bowl and a few other less known spots. Each time making our own fresh tracks. Did not do many pistes all day. Just used them to get from one off piste spot to another.

A great day and well done to everyone in the group today.

Tomorrow will bring more fresh tracks we hope. This time in Val d'Isere.

Today's photos follow shortly in the Jan 2017 Album on my Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy!

Remember for any of those little extras you may have left behind like gloves, goggles etc. Visit Polaire Star Ski and Snowboard rent shop at the bottom of the Funicular in Bourg. They also have a great choice of skis and snowboards for the fresh snow that has started to arrive.
http://www.polairestar.com/
ski holidays

Mt Blanc has got its hat on, often a sign that snow is on its way. Or aliens are about to land.
snow report
@rob@rar, Cool
ski holidays
Hi everyone, sorry no time to post yesterday. Here is my report from yesterday and today.

Yesterday we spent the day in Val d'Isere. The wind had done it's job and blown most of the new snow away or into small areas which were quite nice to ski.

But most places we went were hard packed and very polished by later in the day.

We started in Fornet. The glacier was closed due to wind so did the Grand Vallon instead. Then Cugnai and a fast ski down the womens downhill course to Val village. This was followed by most of Spatula the easy way (this was the best snow). Then down to La Daille. Up top again and into Valle Perdue. Turned into a real challenge. Told it was Ok, but I was very pleased we had a rope or it could have been a long walk out. Needs a lot more snow!

Overall, yes worth the trip up the valley from Les Arcs, but they need more snow and less wind just like Les Arcs.

TODAY back in Les Arcs with a tour over to La Plagne as it is changeover day.

The crowds were gone so we had an easy ski across to the Vanoise and then over to Bellecote La Plagne. Once on the glacier we made a couple of laps of the Bellecote bowl and were able to find more untracked soft snow on a hard base. Just the same as the last time I made the trip across. Nothing much seems to have changed on the La Plagne side.They are trying to keep all areas open.

The whole of the Paradiski area needs more snow, but they have worked hard and you still have plenty of places to ski or snowboard. Even off piste you can find some nice snow with a little effort.

After a nice picnic in the sun we headed for home. A good day was had by all! The pistes everywhere today were ok in the morning with a light covering of thin soft snow. By the afternoon they were more hard packed and polished in many places, but still ok to ski.

For all those that left yesterday or leaving today, have a good trip home! It has been great skiing with you all over the past few weeks. See you next time you are out I hope!

Photos from last two days will be posted later!
snow conditions
Just arrived up in 2000. Will be interested in seeing the slopes tomorrow as the least snow we have seen ever on the drive up. Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
@thefatcontroller, grim news (not your arrival Laughing ) Will be watching with interest what you find.
snow conditions
Haven't headed out yet other than to get milk, lots of maintenance to do at apartment. Always seems a good idea to leave your skis with wax on to protect them until next season comes around and you need to scrape them to go out rolling eyes rolling eyes Its about 0c in 2000 at 10am.

The view has changed again in 2000. Luckily it doesn't effect our apartment view too much.
ski holidays
Headed out at 12. Plan was down to Marmotte, up to Arcabuelle, then scoot over to Peisey. All good to the top of Derby and then the run to the bottom of Derby was very patchy, lots of stones coming through and grass Shocked Sad . At the bottom of Derby we decided not to go to Peisey and took the easy run to 1800. These photos we took on that run.

This is not far below the bottom of Derby heading to 1800. Grim to the sides.

Same run looking up

Heading back into 2000 bowl. This is by the lake, lots of dark clouds around though think they are avoiding us.

Went up Arcabuelle and headed to doughnut for beer. Headed in then, shopping to do and TV to watch. Bowl is good but over the other bits is hire skis world. Heard too much crunching for me, as for boarding..... Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy