Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2016 - 2017

Poster: A snowHead
@thefatcontroller, over 400 euros per night for two people , and not even accepting single nights. Yet you ski on the same slopes as someone staying in the UCPA. Surely at that price you should have exclusive use of the slopes.

Oddly they give the floor area of the rooms in American units and prices in euros.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnE wrote:
@thefatcontroller, over 400 euros per night for two people , and not even accepting single nights. Yet you ski on the same slopes as someone staying in the UCPA. Surely at that price you should have exclusive use of the slopes.

Oddly they give the floor area of the rooms in American units and prices in euros.

Nice views though Toofy Grin I am biased, we own one next door, slightly blocked our view though Mad Mad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnE wrote:

I get very bored on the tedious ski back down to the Vanoise Express from La Plagne rather than the lifts up which IMHO aren't too bad. My son is insisting we do the corners of Paradiski next season: Villaroger, the grand col, Bellecote, Champagny and Montalbert so it looks as if we will be heading for an early lift one day. I think just managing Villaroger and Champagny in one day will be fairly good. What is the general concensus?

Back to the funicular, my nephew's wife suffers terribly from travel sickness and even finds the coach up the mountain a bit of a strain so for her it is the funicular every time. But then our apartment is in 1600 so it is just a stroll though the village stopping at the bakery on the way.

You might like to peruse a bit of fun we started 8 (!) years ago here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=41171&highlight=villaroger
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@boredsurfin, I will have to have a look at a topographical map this evening but Champagny - Villaroger seems more "corner to corner" to me.

Incidently, to save me ploughing through 13 pages what were the best times?

And what is a Gillet?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, Best time depends on which lifts had been replaced in that season! Gillet = Waistcoat or in this case rather nice sleeveless fleeces.

Best times were in a separate thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109438#1109438

The new Gondola out of Montalbert takes 7 mins so thats about 30 mins saved! The new Envers lift will I guess save 10 mins.

There are a couple on new faster lifts on the LA side as well.... If there any snow his Xmas it will be interesting to see a new time. (I'm not there this year)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 23-09-16 22:00; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gillet / Gilet, I thought we'd posted piccys? I'd model for one right now, but mine is over in the apartment awaiting the next season's end-to-end ...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Arctic Roll, Mine to Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE, page 8 on the thread is a fuzzy photo. They're FAR more stylish than that! wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@thefatcontroller, looks amazing but just looked for my dates and its listed as 980EUR per night .... er .... but it def looks nice
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi all, Thanks for all the great info.

I've bitten the bullet and booked 1950 for Easter (8th April) 2017, but I remain concerned about how much snow will be present.

We stayed in 1950 last Easter (2016) and the conditions were great, but it was two weeks earlier.

My question: have any of you owners experience of skiing in mid-April and if so what were snow conditions like? I appreciate it is a risk, but what is it most likely to be like?

I've also convinced some good friends to come with us so my neck is on the block!!

Cheers in advance.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Langers Utd, Though we cannot garuntee anything with snow I can point out that most of the ski runs down to 2000 were still complete in June this year. I have skied Les Arcs at Easter, some even later than this year, for close on the last 20 years and we have had adequate snow every time. In fact on some years it has been outstanding.

I would like to point out the date you are suggesting 8/4/17 is well before Easter, which actually the 16th.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Langers Utd, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

You'll find various conditions around the resort, and if the sun is out probably won't want to go over to 1800 mid / late afternoon, it being rather slushy. But up in the 2000 bowl you'll be able to ski until 3pm with no problems at all, and if you like a bit of softer stuff, then on through til closing time.

If the weather is bright and clear, we tend to take a 9:30am run down the 2000 bowl from top of Arcabulle; it's still a bit hard from the freeze/thaw, but OK Then over to 1600 (via Combouciere) or Villaroger for the mid morning, work our way across the 1600/1800 / Peisey face until a late lunch, then back into 1950/2000 area for whatever we fancy in the afternoon.

If the weather is different, you can ignore all this! wink

As owners in 1950, we almost always there during April, indeed will be there for the first two weeks of April this year, so will no doubt come across your party in George's wine bar...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE and @Arctic Roll. Thank you both for the very helpful replies, I feel more comfortable with the booking already.

We loved 1950 this year and are really looking forward to visiting again in 2017.

If you do spot us in George's, please forgive us!! 😀
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arctic Roll, @johnE, I hope you spotted my note of thanks above... Still working out how to drive this blog! Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Langers Utd, no problem - that's what snowHead is for!

General breaking news: I've just seen it announced that NEXT year (winter 17/18 ) we will see the long awaited Pre St Esprit lift upgrade. Will go about 100 m higher (presumably to link with Arcabulle?) and is likely to be a six seater detachable with hood.
Which I thought was not going to happen as a result of 'rules' about new lifts whose path crosses roads having to be enclosed, (and hence expensive, and hence delay to implementation) but hey ho, I'm not complaining!
Also a bit closer to the buildings in 1950 - which may interest those for whom 'lift vouyerism' is a sport...

And the 18/19 winter for Combouciere. It's about time, even if it does open up Malgovert to the great unwashed Sad
latest report
@Arctic Roll, Excellent news on Pre Saint. It's a lovely run down there but the uptime ain't worth it at present.
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, good news indeed. Will make laps around Droset a more reasonable proposition, for those occasions when that run is open Happy
snow conditions
The only good thing about the Pre St Esprit lift was that as it went over the garden I could see my youngest learning to ski without him knowing I was there.
snow conditions
CH1975 wrote:
The only good thing about the Pre St Esprit lift was that as it went over the garden I could see my youngest learning to ski without him knowing I was there.

Yes and on Pre Saint you can actually watch them grow older it's so slow.
ski holidays
Oooh, I think that's the lift I cursed when I got on it by mistake.

I grew a beard and my son had outgrown his ski boots by the time we got to the top.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
Oooh, I think that's the lift I cursed when I got on it by mistake.

I grew a beard and my son had outgrown his ski boots by the time we got to the top.

15 minutes, I've timed it and it is in a very cold spot, so 15 very, very cold minutes.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
15 minutes, I've timed it and it is in a very cold spot, so 15 very, very cold minutes.
Man, it feels longer than that!
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
Man, it feels longer than that!

I know Laughing
snow conditions
Any of you guys at the Paradiski presentation in London tonight?

Hic. And those kitchen boys from Koh i Nah - that's going to be a goooooood restaurant in 2000... roll on more 5* stuff!

PS ( and apologies from alcohol affected posting...) snow making going to be extended down to Pre St Esprit too.
snow conditions
Yes good food at the presentation - and clearly drink. I loved the scambled egg and truffle

So they are going to upgrade the Pre st Espirit lift and Combourcier (eventaully) add a bit more snow making and that is about it. Oh and add a 1000+ bed Club Med at Arc 1600. From where I sit it is just goining to put more strain on the pistes. Some new pistes are required.

What about opening up the south of the Col du Chal for a few hundred metres, or developing some runs to the north of Combourcier, or the combe to the north of Ours? Or perhaps snow making on Droset?

Thinking about it, it is very rare that the snow down to Pre st Espirit is poor so why snow making?
snow conditions
Hope you don't mind me jumping into this chat, I am doing an 8 day Eurostar trip mid-Jan, but staying in Bourg.

Discussions re the lift pass have me now wondering which option would be best. I had planned a Saturday pass for LA only on arrival day, then a 7 day Paradiski pass.

I have skied LA for 1 week previously but not ventured over to LP. While I consider myself an advanced skier, I am in my mid 50's and not as energetic as I used to be.

From the piste map it looks like most of the fun in LP could be had on the Bellecote Glacier, which takes some time to get to from LA but at least has a relatively easy route back to the Vanoise Express. Are these black runs groomed or ungroomed?

Are there any other sections of LP which would be particularly worthwhile visiting in comparison with skiing in LA?

Reading further it seems the best value is buying 2 Saturday LA passes for 30 euros each and from the Sunday onwards a 6 day LA pass, giving 1 day access to all of Paradiski, for 233.50?

Finally, any recommendations for drinks and dinner in Bourg would be greatly appreciated.
snow conditions
The family and I have booked for Xmas in Les Arcs 2000. Couple of questions.

On Xmas Eve should be stay in 2000 or head down to 1950. Which resort will be best for seeing Father Christmas and enjoying the atmosphere? We have children aged 5-8 in the group.

In previous years, has there been enough snow over the Xmas period?
snow report
The Bellecote isn't all that. For a start the bubble to get you there is old, so not exactly quick, comfortable or reliable. Then skiing wise isn't that special IMO. There is some major off piste routes starting up there but doesn't sound like that will be a factor for you.

However, there is a lot of excellent skiing in La Plagne. We stay in Les Coches regularly and the skiing above there right up to the Inversens lift is great. But there are loads more places to explore centrally and on the far side. There are challenging runs from the Grand Rochette, Les Verdons. There is a debate further up this thread of the merits of sticking to one valley or not.

Note one day is included in your weeks pass and that may be sufficient - depending.

Just another point of note. In mid-Jan with the weather being quite inhospitable the glacier probably won't be a fun place to be anyhow, even if it's open but the tree skiing above Les Coches is great in poor weather.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Layne,

I always do a family trip at Easter and so had forgotten about Jan weather TBH. Last Jan trip was a no-snow trip to Morzine many years ago!

I have also read that Bellecote is now all ungroomed or 'Pistes natur' so icy moguls might not be the way forward.

I'm sure I shall have fun exploring some of the lower slopes Smile
ski holidays
Dear Mike H.
I would pop down to 1950 on Xmas eve. Even though they've done a lot of work villageyfying 2000, it still is a little more exposed than 1950 and with the marshmallows and hot choc round the open pit and Santa flying in on a zip-wire, I think the atmosphere in 1950 will be a bit better than in 2000. I may be wrong, but with kids of 5 and 8, I would prefer the slightly more 'enclosed' feel that 1950 has over 2000, and the kids will enjoy getting on a lift late at night I think. If I am wrong, then more power to 2000 as 1950 is excellent over Xmas week, so it'll be win/win for the whole area.
And if there's no snow in 1950/2000 for that week?, there'll be very little anywhere else I should imagine. Have a great time.
snow report
@Frank Spencer, Thanks for the reply. The H family is looking forward to Xmas Eve and 1950 sounds ideal. I skied around the area last year and agree that 1950 looks and feels nicer than 2000. This will be our first Christmas ski trip so fingers crossed for snow and great family holiday. If it goes wrong Mrs H will say never again.

Any ski school recommendations?
snow conditions
Quote:
This will be our first Christmas ski trip so fingers crossed for snow and great family holiday.

We've been every Christmas since 2009 and our kids are now 9 & 11. Part of the attraction for us is ironically, to get away from Christmas! At least the buying frenzy, eating too much, TV, social pressures, side of things. The mountains are intrinsically Christmassy and it's just great to have the fresh air, exercise, whiteness, etc., after the long autumn of work/school, darkness and rain. We take a mini tree and a few pressies but other than that we don't do anything particularly special. There is a bit going on if you want but where we've been (Les Coches x 3 plus others) it's not been a real big thing.
snow report
Mike-H wrote:
@Frank Spencer, Thanks for the reply. The H family is looking forward to Xmas Eve and 1950 sounds ideal. I skied around the area last year and agree that 1950 looks and feels nicer than 2000. This will be our first Christmas ski trip so fingers crossed for snow and great family holiday. If it goes wrong Mrs H will say never again.

I've always found the ski-schools in the area very good. You won't go far wrong with any of them really, everyone's really upped their game over the years in my opinion. I would stick the kids in the early one, pick them up lunchtime, then get them to show you their new tricks and skills. Private lessons are of course better for their learning curve, but they'll meet some mates in the big schools, and see a different side to things hopefully. It's all good, wish my 3 were that age again sometimes.
snow report
Mike-H wrote:
AIM Ski School, run by a friend who is a really nice guy and great instructor. If you contact them say that Rob from Inside Out Skiing recommended you and he might be able to offer a slightly discounted rate.
ski holidays
Quote:

I have also read that Bellecote is now all ungroomed or 'Pistes natur' so icy moguls might not be the way forward.

The piste map will identify which pistes are pistes natur, but in the Paradiski area you will find very few bashed black runs. I have only seen Combourciere bashed once in 20 years and this is not a piste natur. This is, of course, why many of us love the area.
snow report
(Edited with link for buying lift pass)

Good to see the thread busy with helpful info.

October has arrived and it is a blue sky day. Hope the winter comes back soon!!

A quick reminder for those wanting to buy a discounted lift pass (cheaper than most tour ops prices) right now. You need go to the official Les Arcs web page and use the Online Sales link.

http://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.ski/en/

The weekly discounts finish at the end of October so hurry.

The Saturday discounts continue throughout the season but you must download the voucher.

The Season pass discount finishes at end of November. But do not leave it until last minute in case the site crashes as they are not always willing to extend the final date when you can buy the season pass when the website has a problem.

IMO now that the weekly pass includes one day on the La Plagne side. This is enough for most beginner and intermediate visitors unless you are really keen to clock up the miles. For advanced riders getting the full pass is worth the extra money as it allows you to find the best snow during your visit plus there are good parks and half pipe on La Plagne side. If you are staying in Peisey Vallandry even for lower ability visitors the Paradiski full pass is a good option as you can get across every day with little effort and find easy pistes right near the Vanoise Express.

There are about '10 piste natur' areas (ungroomed pistes) on the Les Arcs side and now with the proposed changes to the Bellecote area there should be about the same on the La Plagne side. They tried this change on the Bellecote towards the end of last season and it seemed popular for many people.

I think it would still be good to have one easy pisted route down as well as leaving the rest of the area as an Avalanche Protected Piste Natur domain. My only fear is that this new change will result in the top area being kept closed far to often. I hope I am wrong, we shall have to wait and see!

There are a good mix of prepared pistes on both sides and according to latest data, the Paradiski area is 2nd biggest ski area totally in France (not sure if this is true?) which gives you loads of places to go and get away from the crowds during the busy periods.

For those thinking about coming out at the beginning of the season. Fingers crossed for early snow that stays. The last three years have been poor so I hope the snow god thinks it's time for a good early season as well. The last week of the season has been great for the last three years.

The Film Festival is running again this winter during the first week of the season and you can get good discounts on lift pass, places to stay and film entry. If you like seeing new or different kinds of films. This is a good event. The side music event is OK as well, but not for my ear's, guess i am getting old!

APARTMENTS TO RENT this winter for short or long term. For anyone needing a place to rent for the season or shorter periods. I have a few friends with space for the coming season at great prices so send me a PM here or over on my facebook page, Les Arcs Winter with your contact email and I will let you have the details.

I will post more info for the coming season and photos of current conditions when I have anything worth sharing.

Hope this update has helped with your planning.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 3-10-16 14:48; edited 7 times in total
snow conditions
snowcrazy wrote:

IMO now that the weekly pass includes one day on the La Plagne side. This is enough for most beginner and intermediate visitors unless you are really keen to clock up the miles. For advanced riders getting the full pass is worth the extra money as it allows you to find the best snow during your visit plus there are good parks and half pipe on La Plagne side. If you are staying in Peisey Vallandry even for lower ability vistors the paradiski full pass is a good option as you can get across every day with little effort and find easy pistes right near the Vanoise Express.

Perfect summary...
ski holidays
Thanks for the reminder re lift pass discount. It's on my to do list but things on that list regularly get forgotten.
snow conditions
@snowcrazy, Thank you.
snow report
Hi all, I've just booked lessons with Spirit 1950 (as they are the only school that starts and ends in 1950, I am told), has anyone any experience of them? Any and all pointers welcome.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy