Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2016 - 2017

Poster: A snowHead
back out in just less than 3 weeks now (not that i'm on count down) here's hoping that next weeks dump happens as the pics are looking very brown
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Based in Arc 1800 for the week. Headed out at 10:30am, our normal ski in - ski out is no longer an option! So a 'black' run to Transarc to start the day. (In boots)

Upto mid point then skied across to derby lift, up derby and down, but as above, lots of stones showing through and not on rentals!
So headed across to Vagere lift then a few loops of Arlette(blue) and Arlette lift, all nicely in the sun and much better snow.

Then headed over to 2000 bowl a few loops around there, then back, finished up at 16:20 then a hike upto our not-so ski-in apartment.

Place is in need of snow, always come this week (well 4 out of last 5yrs) and not seen it like this.

Treated today as a bit of a reconnaissance/orientation day but got the legs and skis warmed up and miles under belt.

We normally spend most of our time in the peissy end, so was a change to do Arlette/2000.

There is snow, it is fun, and it's not work!

Do watch out for the slick bits, and ski within control (too many out there not, have been skiing like an owl with 360deg vision! rolling eyes )
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

So headed across to Vagere lift then a few loops of Arlette(blue) and Arlette lift,

OK, put me out of my misery, where is the Arlette piste and lift?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@soberade, been coming here this week for 11 years, worst we have seen by far. 2007 or 2008 there was no snow below 1600 and warm but decent enough above 1600
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ooh Plan looking snowed, but the surrounds a bit ugly. With all the snow-making, is there any water left in the reservoir?

Let's hope those black clouds dump on you (meant in a nice way)

AR
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

So headed across to Vagere lift then a few loops of Arlette(blue) and Arlette lift,

OK, put me out of my misery, where is the Arlette piste and lift?

If coming across from 1600 trying to get to 2000 it's the lift you take up that has the 90 degree turn at the top. Arpette run is under it but is cut by a few other runs.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arctic Roll wrote:
Ooh Plan looking snowed, but the surrounds a bit ugly. With all the snow-making, is there any water left in the reservoir?

Let's hope those black clouds dump on you (meant in a nice way)

AR

Reservoir very, very low.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Bowl is good but over the other bits is hire skis world. Heard too much crunching for me

T F C,
Many thanks for taking time to post. Was what I feared. Will be out in 12 days - time yet to improve I know, but will be looking out some old pairs to bring. Unfortunately we opted for 2 wks Vallandry & then 1 in 2000. Will just keep everything crossed, as no doubt everyone else is - yourselves included. Thanks again for forewarning and, if you have time, will watch for your posts. I know you are very familiar with area so respect your opinions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi everyone. Another cold day in Les Arcs. The new powder has all gone and we must wait again for the next promised snowfall. Coming soon they say!?

Although I agree the area does not look that great there is however plenty of firm chalky snow off piste to enjoy as long as you take care and the pistes are mostly in OK condition. Have fun this week those who are out!

In the meantime, I have just posted the photos from our powder day on Aiguille Rouge in the Jan 2017 Album on my Les Arcs Winter page.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/

Despite what some thought, for one day only we really did have great powder. The problem was it went away as quickly as it came! We were very lucky!

For those that are interested the photos from our day in Val d'Isere are also now posted in the 'Season 2016 - 17 Espace Killy ski area' album. Enjoy!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not a fresh flake overnight up in 2000. Forecast is sunny today so going to give it a few hours and try boarding in the bowl. Like my skis too much to go back over the side towards Peisey or 1600. We have Paradski passes but lots seems shut over there so for the time being we shall continue to watch Gillian Anderson pout in 'The Fall'. Relax, we could be in work. Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Small amount of snow last night in 1800. 😉
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi all,

Heading out to Les Arcs on Saturday, staying in Plan Peisey. Just wondered if anyone knew whether any of the bars in Plan Peisey or Vallandry might be showing the NFL/American Football over the weekend?

Cheers.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Would normally be skiing in Les Arcs this week but after slow start to winter snow over past couple of years we delayed our trip by a week and are travelling out on Sunday. Looking at previous comments and the current weather forecast this seems to have been a good decision as it currently indicates over 0.5 metre falling between Thursday & Saturday so I may bring the new skis for their first outing. Does anyone know what the piste condition is like down to Villaroger (where we always stay). If it's grim I may bring the old 'rock hoppers' instead.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bob Morrison, Can't imagine runs to Villaroger are open, the Lanchettes lift is beside our apartment and that is running but fairly sure unless there is a huge dump it is lifts down to to Villaroger itself.

We didn't actually go out today. Wife not feeling great so we relaxed and went down to Bourg to do some stocking. We are lucky, we are back in March so fairly calm about conditions, potential of some light snow tomorrow so plan (as per today) to board in the bowl. Not often (ok never) you meet mountain bikers coming through the woods on the road up from Bourg in January. Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@thefatcontroller, France Meteo are saying 3 day snowstorm from Friday snowHead
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-france/macot-la-plagne/73210
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
@thefatcontroller, France Meteo are saying 3 day snowstorm from Friday snowHead
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-france/macot-la-plagne/73210

Needs a storm, a very, very big storm. Even high up here loads of runs we have never seen shut, even in spring, are shut. Its bizarre but then this week last year we hardly boarded for 3 days as it snowed so much, its the mountains, poo-poo happens.
ski holidays
Quick question, my sister is taking her two little girls out in 3 weeks (aged 3.5 and 2.5), we know that the youngest is to little for ESF but the elder is ok. So my sister is thinking to book her in for a course of afternoon only lessons. Am I correct in thinking that ESF will require her to have full kit, i.e. proper skis and boots (and possibly a helmet)? Rather than those toy skis which seem to strap on over snow boots. I rather think that I've answered my own question there, when referring to them as toys Smile
snow conditions
I took my boy skiing to ADH when he was 2. He went into ESF piou piou all day. We hired skis and a helmet and boots from skiset for him. The cost for hire was cheap. I think around £45 for the week. He was fine in the piou piou the only problem we had was dropping him off, he didn't want to leave us but fine once there
ski holidays
I took my boy skiing to ADH when he was 2. He went into ESF piou piou all day. We hired skis and a helmet and boots from skiset for him. The cost for hire was cheap. I think around £45 for the week. He was fine in the piou piou the only problem we had was dropping him off, he didn't want to leave us but fine once there
snow conditions
@Bob Morrison, The Aiguille rouge was open as far as the bottom of the Droset lift over Christmas / New Year and I doubt much has changed as there has not been significant snow since. The run by droset was hard packed with a few stones. You could not get down to Villaroger. However snow is forecast so by the time you get there things should have changed for the better so more might be open and hopefully the stones will be buried.

Wills h - unless anything has changed in recent years I'd have thought your 3 year old would need proper ski equipment excluding poles. You can usually hire a set of boots/skis and helmet at a reasonable price for children that age.
snow conditions
@snowymum, Thanks, I thought so but my sister sowed the seeds of doubt in my mind. I found a place in Charvet way cheaper than Ski set for her, just need her to confirm niece's height and weight. (apparently I'm not allowed to enter small and no much into the website).
ski holidays
Tiny dusting up in 2000 overnight, if snow arrives today it is from morning onward into the afternoon. Lots of cloud up here and looks miserable, which is what we want. Cool
ski holidays
Oh, slight change. 8.04am and its daylight in 2000 and snowing nicely. Mmmm. Lovely Cool
latest report
It's forecast 14cm today in la plagne and upto a metre from today upto Sunday. That's a promising forecast, it's finally arriving. snowHead
snow conditions
@snowymum, Many thanks for the update on the Aiguille Rouge, hopefully the new snow will at least allow skiing down to the bottom of Violettes and can then download on Replat. The forecast is currently very promising so think I will pack the new skis.
snow report
Snowed all day (5.30pm in Arc 2000, snow had stopped but snowing again heavy now) with most snow up high & with poor visibility. Lighter snow down as far as 1800 and below. Dumped it down from lunchtime onwards in the bowl. Proper January cold in the bowl this afternoon Skullie Skullie

Went out late morning with boards. A year since we put them on so a little play under Marmottes to warm up, then up Bois with plan to board to bottom of Arpette. On runs like this you realise how poor things are. At the point where you break across to 1600 we just went straight on down as we wanted to head to 1800. Only after a short bit did we realise there were no piste markers and we started to see grass Shocked Shocked It was manageable but the run all the way down to Arpette isn't officially open....Anyway down into 1800, used new gondola and Carella to get back up top and snow wasn't great and we wanted to head back into bowl. Head down to marmotte via Eidleweiss, lac run is shut. The popped into 1950 for a coffee. Now blowing a gale and snowing really heavy in the bowl. Decided to head up arcabuelle and try the run down to the bottom of derby. Normally fab on a board but sadly grand renard past the top of derby is shocking, too many stones. Came back into the bowl asap and did a bit more and went in.

Met a man in trouble today on grand renard, he had fallen and was trying to get himself off the slope but had really hurt himself, watched him try ski down to top of derby to get in but he lost it and went off piste and fell again. Told him to stay put and my wife stayed with him while I went down and called rescue. His friends were close by down the bottom of the slope waiting from him, they went back up and waited with him too. 1st time I have had to call rescue. He will be fine just wasn't capable of getting of slopes, it was also brutally cold by then.

More snow due over next few days.

Some photos. I could sugar coat some of them but I prefer to be real about things.

Looking at Arc 2000, about 12 noon from top of marmotte lift. Snowing lightly, got much heavier after lunch

Below arpette heading into 1800 still huge issue of grass on what is normally 'fun' territory

Positive. Bottom of marmotte lunchtime, liftie clearing snow, yeah

The worst part of January skiing are the lift queues. Carelly about 3pm. Biggest queue we saw all day Toofy Grin

View from our apartment balcony 4.30pm. Chucking down.

view from other balcony
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, any fools out night skiing Marmottes atm? Laughing Laughing
snow report
@Arctic Roll, The new hotel has blocked my view and if you think I am heading out to answer your question you can Be Nice please! right off. I would take a guess its not on and can't seem to see any heavy light anywhere in the distance, they may have stopped to give piste a rest and let new snow find a happy home?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thefatcontroller, ah OK. I can see the lights on the 1950 webcams which is why I asked!
snow report
@Arctic Roll, Ah yes, me too now, looks like it is on. Shall I mention to mrsfatcontroller Laughing Laughing . Did it once with the kids, good laugh but god it was cold. Skullie Skullie
ski holidays
Esteemed snowHead's, what is local knowledge of Peisey-Vallandry runs for tomorrow after today's snow?
Particularly like Aigle and Morey runs through the trees, but if there are still stones up near Derby lift, then what will these runs that are lower be like?

Today stayed over 2000 again, and found some good snow, to the edge of a particular, as the snow fell constantly through the afternoon, but very cold up top of Arpette lift, but have to take the rough with the smooth...though Didn't dare venture any higher. My glasses froze to my face at one point, lucky to still have my eyebrows!!!

Cheers for any insight, else will do an exploration in the morning.
snow conditions
@soberade, No idea, to scared to go below bottom of derby, piste run to 1800 ok but outside of that piste run it was still awful today down that way. You might be lucky but snow stopped about 8pm, would be surprised if you could go skiing between trees down near Peisey tomorrow?
ski holidays
@soberade, I reckon it'll be too early for there, it was so bare before.
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller & @Layne, thanks both, didn't snow overnight, so will stay high, and see what the end of the week looks like.
snow conditions
Webcams looking much better this morning, I've packed the thermals for next week!
ski holidays
9am in Arc 2000, sun shining and nothing much more snow wise. Forecast is some potential light snow before Thursday night when heavy snow forecast. Enjoy work everyone. Toofy Grin
snow report
@thefatcontroller, yeah thanks! Smile
latest report
@thefatcontroller, i'm not ar work, but off sick. I have just had a shoulder lockdown operation to repair the shoulder sepation Ipicked up last Easter. If all goes well I will be back for the final two weeks of the season. No doubt accpmanied by blizzards

Keep up the good work on the photos. They supplement the live cams well
snow report
Went out late morning on boards and really didn't get very far. Went down to 1800, photos below, conditions improved, way to go but not as bad as has been. Came back into the bowl, did some runs, snow was great but heading back down eidleweiss on way to bottom of marmotte lift a skier cut the wife up, sent her flying and she smacked her head on falling backwards. Had helmet on but was seeing stars. Went into 1950 to rest but her vision wasn't great so we gave up for the day. Skiers should learn to board, they may learn to behave better around them. You do get tired of being cut up.

Some very light snow in 2000 toniight, nothing much now forecast till tomorrow evening, Thursday, when forecast to snow heavy all night and to low.

Some photos.

Glorious morning in 2000

Looking down to snowpark from the top of carelly lift,

Follow on from yesterdays photos. Runs to 1800, still grass to the side, just not as much

Further down grass gone. Yeah

On carelly lift you can see some grass but yesterday mostly grass and unskiable

Looking up at glacier lift. Not so visble, you can see lower tracks, but the furthest to the right couloir had tracks through it, nuts

In an evening time they seem desperate to give us something to do in 200. Segways tonight, had a go, surprisingly easy and fun. They had winter tyres

latest report
@thefatcontroller, Sorry to hear about Mrs TFC - hope she recovers with no ill effects. Hearing more & more of uncontrolled 'accidents'. Keeping everything crossed for a significant dump - sounds like it is still very much needed. Thanks for your updates - stay safe.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy