Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2016 - 2017

Poster: A snowHead
@Hawkmoon267, welcome to the Les Arcs thread. Which bit of Les Arcs are you staying in?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar wrote:
@Hawkmoon267, welcome to the Les Arcs thread. Which bit of Les Arcs are you staying in?
scratch that, just spotted your location says Arc 1800. Does anyone know if the Ski Club GB still meet at Chez Boubou in Arc 1800?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, Arc 1800 for now. Will have to move in mid Feb, likely down to Bourg. Will be open to housing suggestions at that point, as well!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski Club meet in a bar called L'Etranger (ironically enough) which is in 1800 I think. They meet daily 6-7pm.
I am in 1600 from Saturday with a couple of mates. Not much going on in 1600 it seems. Are we best off going to Bourg for apres?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No I would catch bus to 1800 and 1950 you could go boiling in 2000 also I think the restraint l, arptette (wrong spelling near park ) does apres and night they have a meal and torch light descent about 9 pm plus there is some apres in 1600 and also bourg so you have a good few options I,m there sat so might bump into you have a great time😄
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I ment bowling in 2000 also a couple of bars Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great, thanks. I will try the Ski Club and L'Etranger. If you end up meeting up in 1600 or 1800 or wherever, that'd be great too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@charlie26, thanks for the tips and have a great week too!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you are looking for a friendly English speaking bar, head to Barking Mad, it's run by two Brits Rob & Phil and a lot of the seasonaire crowd in 1800 young and old tend to gravitate towards the place.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent tips, thanks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hawkmoon267, if you let them know you are there for the season you'll get a bit of a discount too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@HTL, Where are you staying in 1600?

Early evening go to either Le Panoramic where quite a lot of the UCPA people go or the Arvi, which seems to attract English families. If it is music and dancing you want then the Arpette ( @charlie26, mentions) does early evenings. Late on the the Abrevoir has live music a couple times a week. I really like the abrevoir, it is my favourite bar in the world.

Cafe Sol closed years ago.

If you want more English company then you will have to head up to Arc 1800. Get the bus up (IIRC the last one back is about 21:00) and walk back. A stroll along the Golet piste at 2:00 in bright moon light is a lovely experience. It takes about half an hour. In fact get the bus up to the Mile8 and have a swim, sauna and drink before returning to 1600

@charlie26, There are no torches on the descent anymore. My advice on skiing back in the dark is "don't look behind" as soon as you do someone's head torch will blind you and you will have covered 200m before you can see again. A couple of years ago I was returning from the Arpette with my wife and son. We were the only people returning to 1600 that evening. It was a beautiful moon lit night. After coming down Source we reached the wide gentle bottom slopes of Cachette, a 200m wide piste. My son and me then crashed into each other. The accompanying piestuer must have wet himslef laughing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, Staying in the Roc Belle Face. Not particularly looking for anything English but like live music so will check out the Abrevoir! Will then hang about Le Panoramic and Arpette I reckon....But I am planning getting a couple of early nights in next week wink
Thanks for all of the great advice, just fingers crossed for a magic unexpected dump of snow!!!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@HTL, I would certainly reccomend an evening meal at the Arpette. It is actually very good value.They only do Wednesday nights so call in one lunch time or on the way home and book. It does not appear to be well advertised.

The live music in the Abrevoir is only a 3 or 4 nights a week and can be a little eccentric (which suits the bar) One night they had a ukulele band!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nice to be back on skis after a little rest.

Today we stayed in Les Arcs and headed into the National Park down towards Villaroger. Just a few easy off piste routes in very mixed snow. Mostly soft and well skied, but we did manage to find a few untracked places to put down some lines.

The pistes are all in fair condition although becoming hard packed in the busy places later in the day. You can now ski down to all stations in Les Arcs including Villaroger and almost all pistes are now open. The Vallandry lift broke today, Cable problem so they are running a bus up to Grizzly until it is fixed, maybe by Tuesday?

Shoulder seemed OK today so off to the Bellecote tomorrow as it is changeover day. Hope for more fresh tracks.

Photos from today are now posted in the Jan 2017 album on my Les Arcs Winter page. Take a look at the latest photos by scrolling down to the last 20 or so and see what conditions are like right now!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/

@Hawkmoon267, are you working or just hanging out like many of us. Take a look at my Les Arcs Winter facebook page and send me a PM if you fancy meeting up for some riding.

@HTL, Same invite. If you fancy meeting up send me a PM here or over on my Les Arcs Winter page.
snow conditions
@snowcrazy, ok! Thanks for the offer!
snow report
Abrevoir....one of my favourite eccentric French words. Auge is another.... Very Happy
snow report
Just quick update re conditions today on Vallandry side. Now I know what 'partialle' means - yes obviously partially, but could easily translate as - bring your 4x4 for a fun day out - Morey lower down in parts had grass coming through & lots & lots of really brown/bare areas. Aigle would I think have been good (top bit was) - but was closed off (despite being shown as open on website) for a large part where they were set up for slalom practice - not sure who for, but bit of a pain when Morey was a no-go (well on my skis anyway) and Myrtilles partly closed. They have obviously put a lot of work in - and to be fair only so much can be done with what they have, but thought Snowheads heading out here need to know. There are pistes (or certainly sections) which are fine - higher is obviously better. Hopefully will have a look over at 2000 bowl tomorrow where I hear/hope conditions may be better.
latest report
Sunday 22 Jan. Another couple of days in Les Arcs come to an end with a good dinner tonight, thanks mate. Now it is time to hit the road. Soon back again in time for the new snow I hope is coming soon.

Yesterday we managed a play in the Bellecote bowl on very mixed snow and then down the Petit North Face in better conditions than I expected. We even managed to find some quite nice soft snow in places and NO walking at the bottom. You can ski direct to the Bus stop.

Today I had an easy ski around Les Arcs until meeting up with the others for a coffee. Then time to head down the Col du Chal. Again mixed snow conditions, but still room to put down fresh tracks in soft snow. Very nice! There is still enough snow to get all the way to the bus stop.

The conditions across all the Paradiski area 'on piste' are now very firm with a light covering of softer snow in some places as the sun melts the hard surface a little. On north facing busy pistes it can become very polished later in the day. Everyone needs to control there speed and take care. I agree with the above post that there are a few bare patches starting to come through on some pistes. But if you stick to those lower down with snow canons you should be OK. Higher on the mountains the pistes are still fine. The snow park is fun and so are the bordercross areas and speed test slope.

With the holidays approaching once more, let us all hope for more snow soon.

The photos from the last few days are now posted in the Jan Album of the Les Arcs Winter page, just scroll down towards the end to see the latest pics. Enjoy!
latest report
Has anyone seen this British Festival which is being advertised on the Les Arcs website:
http://en.lesarcs.com/live/focus/the-great-british-celebration.html
Seems a bit odd!
latest report
wills_h wrote:
Has anyone seen this British Festival which is being advertised on the Les Arcs website:
Seems a bit odd!

Are they going to celebrate bad teeth, warm beer, and soaring rightwing populism wink
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
wills_h wrote:
Seems a bit odd!

Are they going to celebrate bad teeth, warm beer, and soaring rightwing populism wink

two of those could just as easily be leveled at the French! Toofy Grin
snow report
Hi all, how's things holding up over there?
snow conditions
Thursday 26 Jan. Back in Les Arcs and it was time to see if there was still any nice soft snow around. Maybe if we were lucky still a little untracked.

Well the day did not disappoint. After meeting at the top of the Carreley Chair we headed straight up top of the Aiguille Rouge.

Then over the back into the National Park. After a tricky entrance we headed down one of the less skied routes and across to Villaroger.

After a nice lunch at La Ferme it was back up top and down Droset, then Malgovert, before finally heading for home. The snow off piste was very mixed, but we found some nice soft snow and even managed a few turns in untracked places.

The pistes we used were all hard packed, but some had a softer layer on top by later in the afternoon which was firm and OK to make turns. You need to mind out for the icy patches and a few small stones starting to come through, but overall the pistes are holding up well.

Take a look at the photos to see what conditions were like. There is still soft snow around if you seek it out.

Tomorrow we are off to the Bellecote if the winds are kind. Meeting at the Vanoise Express at 10am for anyone interested in joining us. Please PM me if you want to join us as you do need arvi gear.

Photos are now posted in the Jan 2017 Album on the Les Arcs Winter page. Scroll down towards the end of the folder to see the latest photos. Enjoy!
ski holidays
Odd lift pass question I hope a regular can answer?

We've benefited in the past from Family Pack, which includes 2-children 5-17. Now my reading of that is next year (yes I am planning in advance) my boys are still ok as they are 17 still and won't have turned 18.

Or is it up to 17???
ski holidays
@Boris, I suspect it should say 5 and older to under 18. I think you, or rather your boys, wold be OK.
snow report
Friday 27 Jan. A trip over to La Plagne. Pleased we did not take to much notice of the warnings of possible high winds and lift closures.

After a fast ski across Les Arcs we headed up to the Roche de Mio. As the higher lifts were running it was time to head towards the glacier.

Today we went down through the cliffs to the Chalet Chair. Firm chalky snow most of the way, but if you try this route mind the rocks at the traverse
entrance.

Then up top and a lap of the bowl. Very mixed snow conditions with some crust, but also firm chalky snow and even a little soft snow in places.

Round again and a long ski to the Frilion Bowl. Again mixed snow, but much better than I expected with plenty of soft snow and room in places for some nice turns. Even a little untracked in places, but also rocky at the entrance so take care.

Finally back up the chairs and a stop for hot chocolate, then back to Les Arcs.

Another fast ski across Les Arcs then time to say goodbye to a few friends as they leave tomorrow. Finally time to head for home.

Tomorrow as it is changeover day we might head that way again. Anyone interested in joining us please PM me for details.

If you are interested in seeing what conditions were like today go to the Jan 2017 Album on the Les Arcs Winter page and scroll towards the end. Enjoy!

latest report
Boris wrote:
Odd lift pass question I hope a regular can answer?

We've benefited in the past from Family Pack, which includes 2-children 5-17. Now my reading of that is next year (yes I am planning in advance) my boys are still ok as they are 17 still and won't have turned 18.

Or is it up to 17???

Quote:
Family pack : For the simultaneous purchase of 4 identical skipasses (for the same period and sector), families composed of 2 adults and 2 children between 5 and 17 years old can benefit from family price. All additionnal children between 5 to 17 years old can benefit from a children's price.

We would say in UK under 18, in France they state the age till, so ok at 17. Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saturday 28 Jan. Changeover day so off to La Plagne. With a visitor all the way from London just for the weekend so we needed to find some nice snow.

Headed up to the Bellecote again as the lifts were open. Into the bowl and a lap round to the chair with mixed snow, but firm and nice to ski most of the time. Then up onto the ridge and all the way to the Bauches chair taking in the large snow fields on the way. Soft snow still on the main face.

The exit was interesting with ice on the track, but made it to the lift and finally a fast ski home.

More tomorrow in Les Arcs. Anyone interested in joining us PM me for details.

Photos of today will follow later as time to go out! They are worth waiting for!! Very Happy

Photos of today are now posted in the Jan 2017 Album on the Les Arcs Winter page. Scroll down towards the end of the album for the latest pics. They are worth waiting for!!

For anyone that needs ski or snowboard rentals, Call in at Polaire Star Ski Shop at the bottom of the Funi for all you need. They also do great servicing for your skis.

http://www.polairestar.com/

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 29-01-17 1:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Thanks, good to hear
ski holidays
Update! Photos are now posted.

Sunday 29 Jan. Today we stayed in the Les Arcs area and played mostly in the National Park.
Very mixed conditions again with more firm chalky snow and even some soft spots, but also cruddy places and rocks to avoid.
Overall it was quite an adventure and I think all will agree although hard work at times and a good test for your skills, it was also fun!

To see the off piste snow conditions today and what we were doing take a look at the new photos in the Jan 2017 Album. Just scroll down towards the end and look for today's date. Enjoy!

The 'On Piste' conditions are becoming very similar everyday. Firm with a thin layer of soft snow in most places at the start of the day which is fun to ski.
Later in the day if you follow the sun the pistes higher on the mountains are still fine, but lower down there are now some small rocks coming through especially when heading towards Villaroger. As the sun goes down, the busy pistes become very polished and you need to control your speed to avoid accidents.

I hope the predicted snow arrives soon!

Tomorrow we will head for La Plagne and an easier day (well maybe!) Anyone interested in joining us needs to send me a PM for more details or turn up at the Vanoise Express by 10.40am.
snow report
Never stayed in Les Arcs before, have been to La Plagne but just the once.
Just had a look at the shuttle bus timetable (thinking of booking a trip staying in Arc 1600 in mid March next year)

What happens with the buses after 5th March when the current bus timetable runs out?

A slightly reduced service but still pretty regular presumably?
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, I assume you mean the navettes but cannot recall the service being reduced or even significantly altered during the season. The timetable dates on the web sites are indeed a bit weird. Why change in the middle of peak season?
May I ask why the shutle busses are important - are you staying in Plan Devin?
ski holidays
@johnE, I just wondered that's all as it said the timetable was from Dec to Mar so I thought well what happens after 5th March.
Nothing it seems.

I might want to use the shuttle buses to other parts of Les Arcs after the lifts have closed possibly so good to know this information upfront before booking anything.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, IIRC you get one or two more buses, around the 5, 6pm mark: as the daylight gets longer, and lifts close later people ski the 'other' valleys later, so slight alterations needed. But it was never too drastic.
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, IIRC you get one or two more buses, around the 5, 6pm mark: as the daylight gets longer, and lifts close later people ski the 'other' valleys later, so slight alterations needed. But it was never too drastic.
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, ok fab good to know thanks.
What about snow cover at 1600 to ski back in mid to late Mar?
Should be no problem vast majority of the time surely?
If anything the snow depths would be at their maximum about mid March anyhow unless there was a rather prolonged warm spell?
ski holidays
Monday 30 Jan. Overcast and even a little snowy later in the day. The bad weather has arrived and right now it is raining outside which I hope means it is snowing up top!

Today we made an easy tour across to La Plagne and skied mainly on piste. Managed a little side route down the Indian gully and through the bumps to the half pipe. But it was mostly a piste day with a nice lunch looking over at Courchevel from above Champagny.

Back in Les Arcs we skied across to the Altiport for a hot chocolate then home.

On piste is getting busy in some places as the holiday weeks begin. The pistes are OK, but take care on the way back from La Plagne or into Arc 1800. There are nasty patches of ice or stones to avoid plus people not really under control.

Tomorrow the plan is not yet fixed. The weather forecast is poor so will not make any plans until the morning. Message me if you want to join us.

Photos from today are now posted in the Jan 2017 Album on the Les Arcs Winter page. Scroll down towards the end of the folder to see today's photos. Enjoy! https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/

@VolklAttivaS5, with the weather this year, it is not possible to say right now what it will be like by March. BUT normally everywhere is OK. Fingers crossed the storm just starting brings some real snow.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 30-01-17 22:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@snowcrazy, yeah I was thinking that for this year but it's not until next March 2018 anyhow that I'm planning it for so it's ok.
As you say though normally it should be fine, it would be very unlucky not to be.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, Mid to late March usually has very good snow and Arc 1600 is fine (I have an apartment in 1600 so I'm biased). Mid to late April things can be getting poorer, but we have always been able to ski back to 1600. I've even skied back on the last day of the season when the pistuers have removed the piste markers.

But as @snowcrazy, says you can never guarentee what the conditions would be like.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy