Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2016 - 2017

Poster: A snowHead
Some hardy folk out there.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sunday 7 May. My season is finally over, well maybe!

Thank's to all those people that I have been riding with this winter. It was great to meet up with old friends and also make some new ones. I hope you all had as great a season as I did! As always the winter came good in the end and there is still plenty of snow about higher up if skinning is your thing!

I hope all those that follow my post's have enjoyed the photos and found what I have written useful.

I am sure many will agree that the youngster's that rode with us at different times in the season have also improved a lot this winter. I look forward to seeing how far you can go in the future! Just stay safe while some of you push the limit's as I know you will! Going big is great, but remember you need to be able to land as well!

I look forward to meeting up with many of you in the summer for some fun activities and seeing you again next winter for some more excellent riding in the 'amazing snow we will get next winter!!' Finger's and toes crossed!!

For my last day although I did not manage to get back to Les Arcs for another day's skinning over the weekend, I did manage one last trip to Glacier 3000 over in Switzerland before the lifts for skiing closed today.

This is a place I would recommend for anyone that love's freeriding. They even have a Freeride festival every March.

Just like in Tignes or Val Thorens there was fresh snow up top, although not as much as I had hoped and room to put down some fresh tracks early in the day, although the whole area was well tracked by the afternoon as there are very few other ski areas still open.

Next season I hope we can make a trip over there from Les Arcs for a few days. I managed about 12,000m vertical in one day all off piste using the lifts with only one short hike and a little scramble on the rocks. Well worth the effort to drive that far.

I have posted some photos of my day in Glacier 3000 on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Use the link if you are interested in seeing what this area has to offer!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

One final word of praise for Polaire Star ski shop at the bottom of the funicular for all there support again this winter. You have done a great job in keeping my skis going in some very challenging conditions at times this winter. Use this link if you want to book some gear for next season or get their advice. Thanks again! http://www.polairestar.com/

Hope you all have a great summer and see you next winter!

For anyone that might be coming out to Les Arcs in the summer. Check out the Les Arcs Summer facebook page for more info and up-to-date news when I get anything worth sharing. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just looked at the webcams and the snow looks incredible, so much better than at the beginning of April! Saw some skiers returning to their cars parked at Arc 2000 and can imagine their run down was fantastic. Oh well, on to next season!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SStreet, How sad watching web cams off season Toofy Grin Was watching some guys live Sunday doing tricks and building platforms by the Savoy in 2000 Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For Facebook users. A glorious photo, Pre-Saint Esprit taken down. Highly recommend following 'Pisteurs Secouristes des Arcs ' on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/PSdArcs/photos/a.330725793621418.92187.323138794380118/1683893521637965/?type=3&theater
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
An article on the new lift appeared in le Dauphine last week about the new lift http://www.ledauphine.com//savoie/2017/06/16/les-arcs-la-station-investie-dans-un-telesiege-chauffant

My reading of this is the lift is to go up to 2900m - about the height of the Grand Col, so does it have a bend in it or are the French newspapers as bad as the British with numbers?

The discussion beneath the article suggests that heated seats are regarded as a complete waste of money - I agree (but then I haven't got piles)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Heated seats are a nice to have - have a pull down screen thing can be really useful.

Good to see them using my cash to invest in the lifts of course!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE, from Pre-Saint Esprit all the way up to 2900 metres? That must be either a mistake or an exceptionally long lift...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Arctic Roll, It now looks as if we will be in Les Arcs in early Agust. Nothing booked yet. See you there.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The proposed red run down Comborciere looks as if it may be interestin as well A new piste Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:
The proposed red run down Comborciere looks as if it may be interestin as well A new piste Smile

Mmmm, less off piste Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The trouble is I cannot see where it would go. Down the other valley? with as you say a loss of off piste and a significant avalanche risk. Or weave through the existing piste, which interestingly is not a natur piste.

They are definately trying to make that side of the resort busier. Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I guess if they are going to increase car park usage at Pre, then they need a dual route back from the 1600/1800 valley for Red skiers for end-of-day -not just the Valley de L'Arc. From a selfish (skiing) perspective, this is a shame though...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PS @johnE, learcsnet.com has the top station at a sightly more believable 2294 !
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I guess if they are going to increase car park usage at Pre, then they need a dual route back from the 1600/1800 valley for Red skiers for end-of-day -not just the Valley de L'Arc. From a selfish (skiing) perspective, this is a shame though...

Then they will need another way to get to the ridge. Mugen is frequently closed due to avalanche risk and from a personal point of view ugrading Clocheret will spoil a beutiful piste as well . I think the idea is to utilise Cascades more.
ski holidays
Quote:

My reading of this is the lift is to go up to 2900m

Apologies, I did indeed get this wong. The lift in 3km (or 2900m) long
snow report
@johnE,
Quote:
Then they will need another way to get to the ridge.

I was looking at the relief map of the area - it may be possible to terraform a red to skiers' left of Combourciere through some of the Malgovert forest: say from the 'elbow' in the top half of the Mont Blanc which overlooks Malgovert, cut across the existing Malgovert piste, and then - environmentalists willing- bring it back around to Pre St Esprit through the woods. That would then give access from Mont Blanc lift. (The MTB track to 1600 there does run the other way, so you'd have to exit close to the base of the existing Combouciere piste.)

But it is speculation! I'm sure it will be interesting when it happens.

PS - I was scratching my head for a while on your post: a couple of years ago, Cascades was renamed to 'Vallee de l'Arc (2)' - presumably so they can claim a long blue from the very top - but the snowmaking there will make a big difference. Of course with the extra beds going in just below 1950, there will be more people there anyway...
I agree it would be a shame to upgrade Clocheret, as it keeps those 3 pistes (Clapet, Clocheret and Muguet) very much for those 'in the know'!

In fact that whole end of the resort served by the 4 lifts Mont Blanc, Clocheret, Combouciere and Pre St Esprit has been nicely under-utilised - a throwback if you will. Sadly I think those days are about to end, and it will join the rest of the "Mega-resort" package. Crying or Very sad But as previously on this thread, probably necessarily so, to spread out the extra beds being put into the resort.
snow conditions
Quote:

PS - I was scratching my head for a while on your post: a couple of years ago, Cascades was renamed to 'Vallee de l'Arc (2)'

OH! I think even some Les Arcs literature calls it Cascades still. I haven't really looked at the piste map recently but does the Vallee de l' Arc start on the Grand Col? or the top of the Varet?

Quote:

presumably so they can claim a long blue from the very top

They could also rename that set of routes from the col de la chal to Vallandry and give it a single long red designation.

Out of curiosity was is the piste from the Col du Chal down to the Col du grand reynard marked as red then becomes blue below that. It appears that there is no way for begineners to get to this blue piste. Have I missed something?

I like your idea of a route through the Malgavert forest. It would be beautiful. Have nice views and be north facing what is there not to like - and surely fits into Macron's vision of reducing "bad government"
snow report
Vallee does indeed start at the top of Varet: via bottom of Grand Col; re-join(actually, more rejoined by) Arondlieres; cross over at the bottom of Arcabulle;and down past Bois D'Lours to Pre St Esprit.

You used to be able to get to Dents de Peigne blue from the Grand Reynard chair , but since that's gone, you are right, the only route is Grand Reynard red from the Transarc. Of course, it isn't really red until you've gone through the col, back into the 1800 valley, it's just a wide track to the top of Dents (And you can only get to Plan Vert blue that way too).
ski holidays
Summer 2017 has begun!!

The lifts have opened in Arc 1600, but this year only for the weekend. They close again on Sunday evening and then re-open for the summer next weekend 8 July until 2 September.

Here is a copy of my first post for this summer on the LesArcsSummer page. Use this link if you are interested in following the page and keeping up with the news from Les Arcs this summer. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer/

My first post for Summer 2017:
The Vallandry Chair is also now open and will remain open until September, lucky them. The Vanoise Express opens on Monday for the season. It will be closed every Saturday and Sunday.

Amazing, the Montchavin La Coches area opens now until September.

Nothing is open in Arc 1800 or in the Arc 2000 bowl until 8 July.

What is wrong with Les Arcs this summer!? Why are we losing a week when Peisey Vallandry and the Vanoise are now staying open.

Some good news for Mountain biking. They have finished the extension to the Blue Legend trail and IMO it is really fun.

They have also improved Woodstock and also the Arolles Red and there are other improvements that I will report on tomorrow.

As for construction. Nothing much going on regarding lifts on the Arc 1600, 1800 and Piesey Vallandry side of the mountains. I hope to get over into Arc 2000 area tomorrow.

The building work in Arc 1600 for the new Club Med is progressing. See photos! They have really messed up the bottom section of blue Mont Blanc piste. I hope they get it sorted by December.

If you want to keep up with developments this summer, like and follow this page and get the updates and photos when I post them.

Hope this helps your with planning for anyone coming out this summer! Happy holidays whatever you are doing and see many of you again next winter if you are not out this summer.

Photos in new Summer July 2017 Album on the Les Arcs Summer facebook page. Enjoy!

@Arctic Roll,@johnE, Yes, with the extra 1000 plus people coming up the lifts from Arc 1600 once the Club Med development is open they are already talking about what other connections might be needed. The Red from the top of Clocheret or a new lift to the top of the Comborciere from the Arc 1600 side and then a red piste down might both be possible, but very costly and I predict a big fight with the tree people.

They are planning to upgrade Comborciere chair next year and maybe Clocheret the year after. Oh times are changing. Progress, I am not so sure! Sad

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 22-07-17 13:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@snowcrazy,
Quote:
Progress, I am not so sure!

Quite.

We're out 5th - 19th August hope to catch you in Georges sometime!
ski holidays
Sunday 2 July.
Not many photos today. Made it up too top of Deux Tetes and down to Pre Saint Esprit to check out the new lift.

Very cloudy most of the day, but still a fun ride. The double and single tracks were quite slippy in places so not much chance for photos. I was more interested in not falling off!

Finally made it to the building site (New Chair at Pre Saint Esprit). I wonder if the restaurants down here will open this summer.

Not much to see, just a big hole in the ground with the foundations. Lots of building stuff around so will check back here again later in the summer to see what progress there has been.

Finally headed for home and still very misty on a nice variation of route 66 all the way to the valley.

Photos now posted in the Summer July 2017 album on the Les Arcs Summer page. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer/
latest report
Saturday 8 July. Time for another trip over to Les Arcs, but the long way round for a change. Here are the details of my drive.

Drove down the Highway Blanc in Switzerland and up the Grand Saint Bernard Pass into Italy.

Stopped off at the Hospice at the top of the pass. You can stay at the Hospice over night any time of year for a small charge. Maybe time for a ski touring trip next winter. I have a fun route in mind! If you like this stuff. They have an interesting museum and chapel you can visit at the Hospice.

Down into the Aosta Valley. For those that like rafting and other white water sports. This is another place which makes an excellent base for summer activities. The water flows from the glaciers of Mont Blanc massif so does not run out. Yes you need to see this photo! It is not a fake photo!! On a Cycling Tour with a Kayak in tow. They were on their way UP the Petit Saint Bernard Pass.

You get to have a good view of Bourg from the Petit Saint Bernard Pass. A long drive this way round from Geneva! You also get a great view of some of the Les Arcs Ski area (Villaroger, Arc 2000, Arc 1950, the Arc 1600 Deux Tetes and Malgovert forest) and you can also test your knowledge of local peaks from the viewing area leaving La Rosiere.

They are finally building the new lift in La Rosiere on the right of the southern face near Mont Valezan. You can just see the start of the building work at the bottom centre of the picture I have posted. I am told the new lift will not go to the top, just to the shoulder on the left.

After an interesting drive it was down the valley to Bourg. Tomorrow I will be back in the hills with my bike as all the lifts should be open weather permitting. More to come soon.

To see the photos of my road trip go to the Summer July 2017 album on the Les Arcs Summer page. Enjoy!

snow report
@snowcrazy, that's interesting on La Ros. I take it this is the area to the right looming up from the base of the Forts chair, how much new skii8will it open up?
ski holidays
Yes, that is the area on the La Ros side it will serve. I guess they may add another piste in that area rather than just the road on Skiers left or right of the new chair and going down the valley to join the lower piste. We will have to wait and see. The bonus is the off piste access to the far skiers left, but keeping away from the cliffs on the La Ros side. Also over onto the La Thuile side which has more good areas, but also cliffs so will need to take care. I hear some good and other bad opinions about this development. But with all the new building in La Ros they need more ski areas just like we do in Les Arcs. Progress!?
latest report
July 21 2017. This is my latest update for the Paradiski area.

The photos of the last few weeks are now posted in the Summer July 2017 album. Sorry for the delay. Hope all those I have been out with enjoy their photos.

If you take a look at the photos you will see all the development work that is currently taking place in Les Arcs, Peisey Vallandry and over on the Les Coches side.

They have built a small plunge pool by the bottom of the Vallandry chair that look's quite fun for the kids.

They are making a real mess of the Crozat and Carroley Chair above Les Coches. I think the Crozats chair is a good idea, but taking out the Carroley is crazy! The work on the lift in Arc 2000 bowl is progressing and the building work at the Club Med site in Arc 1600 continues. Other smaller projects around the area include the ESF building in Arc 2000 bowl and more building work in Vallandry and Arc 1800.

I think we do not need all these extra beds. Where will they all ski in high season!?

The pools everywhere look inviting in the heat we have been having as do the many activities and music festivals that are now taking place.

The biking trails are getting busy, but still fun and there are plenty of places to go for hikes away from everyone in the National park.

The Water sports down in Bourg and at the Lake in the valley are really fun in this hot weather. Check out my photos of the Canoe Raft we took down the river!

The many bars and places to eat are now open. Hope to see some of you over at George's Bar in Arc 1950 this summer or at Bar King Mad in Arc 1800.

If you have never been to Les Arcs in the summer give it a try. There are loads of activities to do. More to follow next week.

Hope you enjoy the photos I have posted in the Summer July 2017 Album.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 22-07-17 13:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Sadly I missed it was on and couldn't enter Laughing Laughing but having skiing down I really don't fancy running up it.

VERTICAL K2 VILLAROGER - LES ARCS
23 July 2017
https://en.lesarcs.com/live/focus/vertikal-k2.html
snow conditions
Friday 28 July. Back in Les Arcs and also over in La Plagne today. Good to be in the mountains again away from the city.

The building work at the Club Med site above Arc 1600 continues. They really have made a mess of the piste. Hope it is all ready by December! It look's like they are renovating the little house at the side of the piste near the snow park. Next time I am passing by I will stop and find out if it is just a summer Alpage or something for the winter. The Altiport is now open for the summer season and they have a plunge pool which could be fun in the warm weather. It also look's like they are repairing the liner of the waterslide. The Golf course is looking greener after the recent rain and seemed quite busy today. The restaurant just above the golf course is also open now and I have been told by the lifty that the Charmettoger Chair will now stay for next season. People power, I hope he is right, but I will check other sources to have this confirmed.

On my way down to Nancoix by a different route today I noticed that the top of the Bellecote had a little dusting of snow after the recent storms, but not good news tonight from Tignes Glacier. It seems summer skiing this year is not very good!

The great thing about the Paradiski area is that after you leave the main area of Les Arcs you do not see another mountain biker for most of the day despite it being high season. However sometimes this is not so good as I wasted an hour fixing my broken bike so had to change my plans.

After reaching the lake above Les Coches I headed over to check out the work on the Crozats and Carroley chairs. It is confirmed that they are taking out the Carroley chair and sending everyone up the new Crozats chair and down to a connecting moving floor on the Plagne Bellecote side to get back to the Les Coches Montchavin side. CRAZY idea!! Just like on the Montalbert side when they took out an important link and have now put it back in again! Next season is going to be interesting!!?

Finally heading for home. Went an interesting route home ending up at the lobster's lift in Peisey and back up to Vallandry, BUT I missed the last chair connecting with Les Arcs so had a very long ride all the way home. Think I will have an easy day tomorrow!

Other building work I noticed both on the Les Arcs side in Arc 1800 and Peisey Vallandry continue and also in Montchavin and Les Coches. It seems to me that everywhere they are building more apartments or hotels, but not adding to the ski area!! Question, where will all these extra people ski in high season? The pistes are already too busy with many accidents caused by out of control people of all ages. Plus the lift queues are ridiculous at the main junctions. Something needs to change soon. I sometimes wonder do the planners at Company des Alps and the Commune Marie actually go on the mountains in winter at high season and see how busy it is now!?

If you want to see the photos that go with this report, go to the Les Arcs Summer page and look in the July 2017 Summer album. Enjoy!

Another update to follow in a few days.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sunday 30 July. Been a stormy last few days so not many photos although I did get out in the Mountains.

Managed to check out the progress of the new lift in the Arc 2000 bowl again and other developments on that side of the mountain. Full details with photos on the Les Arcs Summer page. Plus a great place for a cheap sandwich!

EDIT: I have just added another update for the 30 July including links to French pages giving more details of all developments if you fancy testing your language skills.

snow report
So as per snowcrazy , weather... variable. .. but hiking and biking is great. Latest update on building works at Pre St Esprit, according to Phillippe, patron of the Chalet de Pre St Esprit restaurants there, the building going up beside the lift station will be a reserve water tank, to supply the new snow making. Another pumping station to get the water from the Mains to there is also under construction between current Combuciere and the site. Not sure yet what this means for car parking as a lot of the current one will be under buildings. Perhaps when they move Combuciere they will use that bottom section? But it will be a pay Car park.

The new Club Med in 1600 looks huge.

Will post piccys when I get the photos off my phone and onto pad
snow report

The capricious nature continues with Temps at about +4 C today, snow expected tomorrow. .. August?

New lift from Pre St Esprit : top station
latest report

Bottom station (or at least the 'tank': lift station bit is behind it)

latest report

And a quick look at the Malgovert "piste " in summer
snow report
It's the second week of August now and time for another update over on the Les Arcs Summer page.

The conditions are very changeable right now so there have been many different activities to fit in with the weather. Hiking, Mountain Biking, Rafting, Playing with different boats on the lake, Waterslide with a kayak, Glacier Hiking on the Ice plus much more.

If you are interested in seeing what we have been doing and the current conditions check out the photos in the Summer August 2017 Album.

I have also added new photos of some of the work which is going on around the area to prepare for next winter.

Details of the latest developments announced by the Maire, ADS and Tourist office to follow. Was anyone else at the meetings this week. I think it would be interesting to get different points of view to what has been announced. For those down in Bourg, if as promised they send me an English version of the document regarding the development of the Army Camp area in the town I will add this later. More to follow tomorrow.
Enjoy.

@Arctic Roll, if you fancy meeting up whilst you are around for a drink or even some activities let me know. Have a good holiday. Very Happy
latest report
@snowcrazy,I can be in Georges any evening you are around. Not sure we're up to biking at your standard, so we'll give that a miss- no offence!

Family did Route 66 from 1950 to Bourg ( where the Temps were significantly higher than up top) today. Bit mucky at the moment with all the construction traffic. It seems like they are terra-forming another red piste in the Villaroger sector: skiers left and below Solliet, that comes out below Violettes lift, somwhere above La Ferme. Whatever the track is extremely muddy! It also looks as if they are putting in snow making down there.

Widening of Cascades/Vallee de l'Arc continues even at weekends : guess they have lost some time due to poor weather. Main ironwork of base station of new Pre St Esprit lift is now in, and some of the bases of the pylons are starting to sprout tubes. All very hopeful, for opening weekend. .. 15th Dec.

Will be riding off Arcabulle tomorrow, then Aiming to do some walking at either Petit St Bernard or Roseland cols, weather permitting. Only 4 days left (sigh) could do without more washouts. But not holding breath.
latest report
Good to catch up in the street if not the bar @snowcrazy ! Latest update from Pre St Esprit It's not a water reservoir but a snow reservoir. This rumour is that they are going to make snow at PsE, then store it (indoors?) for shoving around by bashers as required....any more ideas anyone?

Choppers very much in evidence these past few days working on the new lift's pylons: lots going on.
Weather superb, and a shout out for Chris at Spirit 1950 who mended a couple of broken spokes and consequent buckled wheel for Mrs Roll. What HAD she been doing?l
Been walking up at Cormet de Roseland, as well at VTT around our valley :it is superb over there highly recommended.

. But we're now half way to Geneva then home: so see you all again in les Arcs for Noel.
snow report
For my most recent updates on the progress of the lifts, building works and ideas for more activities while you are visiting the Les Arcs area. Check out the latest photos I have posted in the last few days over on the Les Arcs Summer page in the Summer August 2017 Album. There are loads of cool ideas of things to do. Hope the photos are helpful for anyone out right now or planning a trip for next summer. Enjoy!

Also nice to catch up with you briefly @Arctic Roll, hope to see you at the start of the winter for a longer chat. Very Happy
ski holidays
The Summer season is nearly over. Only one more week to go before lifts close.

Just posted the latest photos from last week in Les Arcs! Great weather most of the time meant we had the chance to do loads of activities. Also a few updates on the progress of work around Les Arcs. Check out the Summer August 2017 Album.

More photos and news to follow as the final week of the summer season comes to an end next weekend.
ski holidays
What swimmable lakes are there in the Paradiski area? Thinking of where a good base would be if lake swimming was important but could also be used as a base for cycling or walking...

Oh, and tennis courts maybe?
snow report
@Layne, certainly seen swimmers in the lakes up around the Col de la Chal (accessible from 1950 and 2000) - but to be fair, they are not open water swimming type facilities - you wouldn't get more than 50 yds in them I suspect. The reservoir above 1950 is definitely off limits.

OTOH there are tennis courts outside the Varet bubble - you know that flatish area as you approach the lift base....?!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy