Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks @Pamski
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

moseyp
user

Is it possible to park at Les Gets and get to Morzine at the moment? Thanks

Why wouldn't you park in Morzine if you have a car? Unless you want to ski there, in that case Les Gets and Morzine share a ski area.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Pamski, just to hijack to snow report thread for a mo......I remember a pretty lethal drag lift in Les Gets, close to a barn of some kind, but with nothing much else around it. This was skiing over to LG from Morzine - we'd quite like to avoid it if we can, so would you know the name of it please? Might well have been us, but it did seem problematic for various of our group and there was lots of swearing Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
LG-Morzine I just take the Foillets du Golf lift
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@langball, thanks - we're staying in LG this time (Morzine last time) but the person showing us around the LG side then, took us down to this drag a couple of times - I might recognise the route once we're there, and try to avoid it
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've actually never used a drag lift in LG/Morzine so can't help....there is a big one over at La Turche bringing you back up to the top of Perriere, but I prefer to shuffle along the bottom section past this drag lift and catch the Perriere express instead. Am heading up now for a few hours to do more research Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@langball, Thank you - that's so selfless Laughing Enjoy!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking at the interactive piste map there still seems to be a hell of a lot closed across the PdS, is this correct?

I am due into Morzine next Weds and the plan was to head up the super morzine into Avoriaz, looking at this map all the links are still closed. It is also saying links from Les Gets to Morzine are closed so that would mean finding alternative ways to get to the skiing?

Hoping the next week will see it all open but just in case I want to have a plan in mind as I arrive at midday ready to go.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mheadbee, we're heading out Sunday and are fervently hoping that the next couple of days' snow will enable them to get the Super Morzine link open. From the webcam it looks like there's definitely snow up there, but presumably they need more and then to move it about a bit.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep, supermorzine link still closed but can't be far from opening, especially if this snow arrives in next few days. If forecasts are correct then expect things will have changed significantly by the end of the weekend...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Dashed
user

Yep, supermorzine link still closed but can't be far from opening, especially if this snow arrives in next few days. If forecasts are correct then expect things will have changed significantly by the end of the weekend...

Certainly looks like it. Nice one.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mheadbee, If the link is closed you can get a free bus from the two main lifts in Morzine to the Prodains lift which takes you into the centre of Avoriaz, I used it last year even when the link was open.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The dump of snow due on Sunday has now gone! Lets hope the next 2 days delivers!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weren't the forecasts showing that Thursday night through Saturday morning would provide the heaviest snowfall anyway?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yesterday PM Snow-Forecast added a further 30 cm but that has packed its bags and gone.
snow conditions
If you read Chatelweb's forecast page it suggests that GFS gets less reliable (or more volatile) as you get closer in, so he uses other models once you're within 5 days or so.
latest report
Big dumps still showing on SF and Bergfex for Friday though.
snow conditions
There seems to be significant differences between forecasts just now. "Weather Live" on my phone has heavy snow for Sunday and Monday.

Either way it'll be a cracking week - there's snow, mountains and beer.
snow conditions
@Montana, I think you must be referring to the drag at La Turche, 70 years old in March and privately owned. We use it a lot! But I know some people are not happy on them and it can be a bit of an obstacle track at times round bare patches etc at the end of the season. You can avoid it, as mentioned, by going on to the Perrieres lift at the bottom of the Melezes. It wasn't running today but I have seen the piste bashers on the Vorosses and the Melezes so hopefully they will open that sector soon.

@mheadbee, you can ski from Les Gets to Morzine at the moment.
snow report
Pamski wrote:
@Montana, I think you must be referring to the drag at La Turche, 70 years old in March and privately owned. We use it a lot! But I know some people are not happy on them and it can be a bit of an obstacle track at times round bare patches etc at the end of the season. You can avoid it, as mentioned, by going on to the Perrieres lift at the bottom of the Melezes. It wasn't running today but I have seen the piste bashers on the Vorosses and the Melezes so hopefully they will open that sector soon.

@mheadbee, you can ski from Les Gets to Morzine at the moment.

Hi Pam,
Did it look like the direct Morzine-LG from the top of Belvedere would be opening too?
ski holidays
@ardbroilach, if you mean going along the top, past the Vaffieu, you can then go down the Granges, into Grand Pre and up the Charniaz Express. My OH did that earlier this afternoon. But I don't know about the piste down by the Follietts lift. Probably not, as he most likely would have come home that way.
snow report
Thanks Pam. I did mean the latter. Could see that the "Nyon-Les Gets" link was open and was hoping that the last few days might have allowed the more direct link to be opened. Roll on Friday.....
latest report
@ardbroilach, yes he has just confirmed what I said.
ski holidays
@Pamski, thanks for that - Vorosses rings a bell. I don't usually mind the odd drag lift but perhaps we hit it on a bad day!
ski holidays
@Montana, don't worry not just you - neither me or my sister made it up that drag last year successfully! We are snowboarders though wink
snow report
How much snow are the locals forecasting over the weekend? I've seen anything from 10cm to 1M depending on the forecast site...!

Out on the 18th. Can't wait.
snow conditions
KVet79 wrote:
How much snow are the locals forecasting over the weekend?

Somewhere between 10cm & 1m Laughing

Sorry Embarassed

Somewhere in the middle probably about right... Chamonixmeteo saying 25-35cm on Friday and they're usually not too far away.
snow conditions
@mheadbee, because it's closer to Cluses
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @Dashed!
ski holidays
Had a great day testing shallow off piste spots in the LG bowl. Hit a lot of hard stuff underneath from time to time, but loads of fun and fresh lines (will need P-Tex).

This is the SE of France map from WRF (5km) out to Sunday. Would suggest 50-60cm for LG/Morzine and more as you head NE towards Chatel (80cm).
Looks like the rain/snow limit will be around 1300m thursday evening, so don't be surprised to see rain in resorts until midnight. Then the good stuff until Sunday.

ski holidays
Driving up from Geneva to Les Gets this Friday in hire car that will have winter tyres, question is if the big dump of snow comes are chains ever needed on the road up or do they try keep that clear?
ski holidays
@globalbagtag.com, chains are sometimes needed in LG for sure....they try to keep the roads clear but it can be chaos in places. Depends where your final destination is too, eg steep driveway, side road. The heaviest falls are forecast for Friday night, but it could easily come earlier.
ski holidays
Is anyone else getting excited?

I assume the possible 50+cm over the next few days will make a much needed positive benefit to piste opening and quality of the runs? For the complete newbs to piste depth, whats acceptable with such a start to the weekend and what's good?
latest report
Well I hope to eat my words but it was supposed to be tipping it down now and there's nowt here - hopefully some up top!
Taking beginners up to try the new magic carpet tunnel at Pleney tomorrow!
ski holidays
Still snowing on the Les Gets front webcam....

I'm relatively excited but I do love a fondue.
latest report
Is there enough snow in Les Gets to ski for the week starting Sunday 15 Jan without having to go to Avoriaz? We are hoping to avoid hiring a car if possible. Any transfer company recommendations also very welcome!
latest report
We have just got home from Encrenaz (is you get the opportunity to go to a supper evening accompanied by the Cabaret/Comedy/Revue it is a terrific evening, but importantly it was snowing when we left and when we arrived back at our chalet in Les Gets still tipping down.
ski holidays
@Miss Smith, Skiidygonzales good for transfers.
ski holidays
+1 for skiidy
snow report
Feels very mild here in the village this morning, very slushy so must have had rain in the night but looking up top the trees are still white so guessing it snowed up there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy